Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking club Week 1: Flapjacks

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just a tip on melting the chocolate.

Break up pieces of chocolate and place in a bowl. Boil the kettle, pour water in a separate pan or a bowl, place the first bowl with the chocolate on top of this pan/bowl and leave for about 15 mins. When you come back to it the chocolate will still look like it hasn't melted but as soon as you touch it with a spoon it melts.

People tend to try and melt the chocolate too quickly over a pan of boiling water and as a result the chocolate gets burnt and becomes grainy. Doing it the way I've described above ensures it stay silky and smooth. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Khannie wrote: »
    Funny story...I was in the middle of making a 2nd batch when my wife went into labour. :) I'm up now with the bundle of joy and decided to make a 3rd batch.

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Funny story...I was in the middle of making a 2nd batch when my wife went into labour. :) I'm up now with the bundle of joy and decided to make a 3rd batch.

Congrats - baking might go on hold now will it??

Are you saying that you have new born in one arm and flapjacks in the other - impressive ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I saw that on reddit! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63887913&postcount=1

Well done and congratulations!

Any placenta-based recipes coming up? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

These are mine! used a mix of aldi 70% and 46% choc for the top. Added raisins, dried apple and choc chips... unfortunately added choc chips too soon and they melted into the mixture:P they were still yummy though!!

Wish I knew how to get the pic to just come up on the post instead of posting a link:confused:

• Advertisement

Congrats on the baby by the way!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

susanroth wrote: »
    Wish I knew how to get the pic to just come up on the post instead of posting a link:confused:
    When you click on your unloaded link it should bring you to another window. In this case it's https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/275635/102413.jpg

Take that link and wrap it in the image tags. your link here

102413.jpg

The look great by the way! ;)

Thanks a million! am gonna be going nuts posting photos on boards now...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Only saw this cookery club thing today, I will defo be making these and the brown bread in the next couple of days :)
    I really like the suggestions for using up the oats, especially if people are buying ingredients specially for the recipe that they wouldn't generally have in the house. I'm awful for seeing random recipes, buying random ingredients to make them, and then having to throw out the other 90% of the pack when it goes off in x amount of time...

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Wantobe wrote: »
    The sauce is 100g plain chocolate, 4 tbsp soft light brown sugar, 2 tbsp golden syrup, 20g butter and 200ml double cream. Bung in a saucepan and heat gently until smooth. Yummy. It makes too much so I usually keep half in the fridge and use later. I guess you could freeze it but mine usually doesn't last long enough. If anyone is interested in teh choc puddings, let me know- they are freakishly easy too. I make them in little ramikans ( a good way to use the ones you get in the likes of m&s with posh choc mousse in- where I collected mine), serve with a scoop of vanilla icecream and the sauce flicked around the plate and it looks like a major effort ( when it is sooo easy).

Only saw this now, thanks for that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

for someone who has repeatedly said over the years "I can't bake - I can't bake - I can't bake" I decided to give these a go and guess what - I found out I can make flapjacks :D in fact I've made them three times now so thanks lots for the recipe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Sorry about the delay, but I'm finally getting around to trying each week's recipes.

Thank you, Khannie, for the recipe. Flapjacks are something I would have never thought of making. I'll be doing them again, but with the chocolate on top. Some really lovely photos in this thread!

Here they are:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I made these last night with some chocolate on top and they were simply amazing. Such an easy thing to make yet taste divine.

Thank you :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

kerash wrote: »
    I only had use of a round baking sheet that's why they're sliced like pizza!

I nicked your idea!

This time around I added some dessicated coconut and went with the chocolate coating.

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6888

I also noticed some mysterious "latents" which weren't made by me... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Hiya,

I was in the mood for something tasty yesterday (i.e. a vehicle for chocolate) so I made these, and now there's 2 left, and it was only me here, when I get fat it'll be your fault Khannie!!

I added raisins and chopped hazelnuts, my oven is a bit over zealous so they were done in 10-15 mins, then I popped some chocolate in the microwave and spread it over them, yum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭leopardus

I just found the cooking club, what a great idea! Made these in a bit of a rush today and added too much sugar (100g) by mistake, tried to compensate by adding more oats, then obviosly didn't add enough more butter as they fell apart after cooking. They mix tasted great though (I had added some orange zest, pumkin seeds and dark chocolate chips). I'm going to use them as a 'granola' on yogurt with fruit for breakfast. Definitely giving these a go again. Next time will stick to the recipe measurements, the orange zest is great. I would also melt the chocolate and cover them in a layer (as other posters have done) rather than using the chips next time. I'd also roughly chope the pumkin seeds. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Apologies for ressurecting a necro-thread.

I just made these, I put chocolate on top and added a few blobs of peanut butter. I used honey instead of brown sugar cuz I'll always use honey for various things but I don't use brown sugar much (or ever).

They've turned out ok. A bit spread out but I think that's my fault for not actually using a scales.
    I don't have one yet, and I tend to measure things by looking at the packet and thinking "yeah, 75g, that's about a third of the packet"

I shall bring them into work tomorrow and see how many survive :D

I'm going to work my way through the Cooking Club recipes. (At least the ones with food I like) :pac:

So, a successful effort. Thanks to Khannie for the tastiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Good job reallyrose!
    I've been looking at this for a few weeks, and today's the day!

edit: I decided to put these into cupcake cases, instead of a tray. Filled up 9 cases, but next time, I wouldn't fill the cases so much!
    Came out great, and really tasty. I think the golden syrup makes a big difference.

Proof: :)

picture.php?albumid=1517&pictureid=8446

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

I've read and drooled over the cooking club since it began but here it is, my very first post! :eek:

I've often tried flapjack before but they were never right, this recipe combined with the proper tin produced fantastic flapjacks that didn't last long! Thanks so much Khannie! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Had the ingredients already so I said What the heck lets make them :D

I added some peanut butter and I spread nutella on the top after they cooled I am a big lover of flapjacks going to make more soon :p Soo good!

163890_10150090248857259_833992258_6015888_4150581_n.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Revisiting this one now. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Roald Dahl

So this is the recipe which kicked off the Cooking Club! :)

We've made these quite a few times now.

They're ideal for kids as part of their school lunch as (in our case anyway) theye're one of the only treat items allowed.

We go for the chewy variety and 12 minutes in the oven is enough. They're nearly liquid when taken out of the oven at that stage, but they firm up after they've cooled down.

CC-2010-01-Flapjacks.jpg

Advertisement