Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do the Irish craft breweries use 440ml cans?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

irish_goat wrote: »
    Noticed in the offy at the weekend that William Bro's have some of their beers in 500ml cans. Aside from Punk IPA, I think it's the only UK craft beer I've seen in that size of can.

Pretty sure I had a 500ml (possibly even 568ml) Mikkeler can during the lockdown

(I know it's not UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

beachhead wrote: »
    Just to upset all the the purists.Bulmers have reduced their can size to 440ml but not the price(retail price,that is).Correct about the US pint measure.The US mile is also,shorter than the Imperial mile

500ml is still standard bulmers, tesco and I think dunnes got in some cases of 440ml but I have not heard of them singly or in packs smaller than 24. The cases were a decent enough price compared to the 500ml smaller mulitpacks.

Tesco used to get some which were intedned for the UK market, you could tell as the units were UK units on them, if bulmers was uk market it should be branded as magners.

There are no 440ml in tesco at the moment.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=bulmers

If the price per litre is the same then 440ml is my preferred can size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Pretty sure I had a 500ml (possibly even 568ml) Mikkeler can during the lockdown

(I know it's not UK)

Was it their Koslch by any chance? Had one the last day...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Was it their Koslch by any chance? Had one the last day...

What was it like?

Can I guess superb like all of their offerings usually are?

it wasn't Kolsch I know for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Not sure if its been mentioned, but a 440ml can weighs exactly 1lb (drink and container combined) so breweries shipping them can have a better idea of weight off the bat.

*just confirmed it myself with some in the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Not sure if its been mentioned, but a 440ml can weighs exactly 1lb (drink and container combined) so breweries shipping them can have a better idea of weight off the bat.

*just confirmed it myself with some in the fridge

how many Irish breweries are measuring their shipment in pounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

loyatemu wrote: »
    how many Irish breweries are measuring their shipment in pounds?

If they're pumping out over 2400 cans then shipments in tonnes are likely.

Might be easier to get hold of the cans from English suppliers, or maybe the couriers prefer imperial units if its a large shipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Surely someone on this forum has a contact in (craft) brewing that could answer this? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I was in O'Brien's yesterday and funnily enough there was a big row of Punk IPA 500ml cans, and I thought of this thread.

Honestly, the 440ml is the perfect amount of beer for me ... More than 330ml and not as much as 500ml. Yes, it may be that you are getting 'less for your money' than in times past, but as others have observed, this phenomenon of shrinking products while freezing prices is not new, wasn't that the scandal with Cadbury's crème eggs and others products this past few years?

At least for those really into their 500ml offerings there remains a lot of bottles available as part of multi buy deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

What was it like?

Can I guess superb like all of their offerings usually are?

Yes it was lovely. I'd say it was in a 500ml can cus in fairness, Kolsch is a hard sell sometimes. If you want a light lager you want a light lager, if you want ale theres ale. kolsch, being in between is never something i crave, but it was lovely. Very refreshing, no off flavours, good body and tasted like a loaf of bread

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wasn't that the scandal with Cadbury's crème eggs and others products this past few years?
    Creme eggs did not change for years, a few years ago they actually increased in weight by about a gram. If there was any genuine scandal it was the lowering of the quality of chocolate in them. There was also complaints about going to 5 packs. In the US they did change size more.

People remember them as kids, when their hands were smaller. I remember my mother would put them in egg cups with tissue to prop them up, while some would swear they used to be the size of real average sized eggs. Just like a 500ml supercan of coke seemed massive as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Craft beer breweries reading this, never mind why 440ml, why haven't we had a cream egg stout for easter?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Craft beer breweries reading this, never mind why 440ml, why haven't we had a cream egg stout for easter?

What about a beer cocktail ... A high ABV chocolate stout with a shot of Advocaat dropped in?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Macy0161 wrote: »

97f11a30093d8116ed2d7ac666576c68_640x640.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

beachhead wrote: »
    .Correct about the US pint measure.The US mile is also,shorter than the Imperial mile

The figure quotes for US pint is wrong. US pint is actually 473 ml ( UK pint is 586 ml).
    There is no such thing as a US mile, only an Imperial mile which is 1.609 Km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Thankfully you can still get Carlsberg in 500ml cans. Probably the best craft beer in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rock22 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a US mile, only an Imperial mile which is 1.609 Km
    US Survey Mile. Which is a mere 3mm longer.

There’s also the England mile, Irish mile. Welsh, Scottish and many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Mellor wrote: »
    US Survey Mile. Which is a mere 3mm longer.

There’s also the England mile, Irish mile. Welsh, Scottish and many others.

How many km is a country mile?

GazzaL wrote: »
    How many km is a country mile?

It's a long way to Tipperary

It's a long, long way from Clare to here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Ya even the likes of Guinness is 440ml in the UK so I always thought it was for exporting purposes to be safe

Advertisement