Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do the Irish craft breweries use 440ml cans?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Effects wrote: »
    Cause that's the size cans people were drinking long before the craft beer influx.

So?
    Before that they drank pints and flagons and quarts and what not.
    Things change.

Also, I remember drinking 250ml bottles in the 90s. And half pint bottles were standard for a long time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'm not too fussed about the 60ml difference between a 500ml bottle and 440ml can but if a brewery is putting their standard range into 330ml cans they need to be pretty exceptional for me to buy them over a 440ml/500ml unless the price per litre is similar.

Annoys me that the likes of White Hag put Little Fawn in 330mls but put their milkshake IPA in 440mls. Should be the other way round at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

The last 100ml out of a 500ml can is rank

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

But they're different beers? Why should they be the same price?

Lots of breweries manage to produce different beers in 500ml containers and sell it at the same price. The fact that it's a different beer has little bearing on it. Craft beer is already a premium product at a premium price, which I'm willing to pay, generally speaking. However even at that, theres a fundamental value for money equation which must be taken into consideration.

There's a 12% difference in what I consider to be an "everyday beer", e.g. O'Hara's IPA (or fixes rock, or bru ri, or journeyman or galway hooker or mcgargles) Vs 8degrees session IPA. All 2 for 4.92 currently on SuperValu website, 1litre Vs 880ml.

Anyway. Is what it is. Point being that 500ml cans were all that was available, generally speaking, in cans until recently, so wanted to know why the craft breweries, despite producing 500ml bottles happily enough have downsized to a more unusual size, which I would imagine would not be any cheaper to buy empty than 500ml due to being more niche (all the macro breweries using 500ml as standard, so should be ubiquitous thus cheaper to source than 440ml).

Drink that first so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Totally, why I always pour into a glass, absolutely hate drinking out of cans this being one reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

kenmc wrote: »
    There's a 12% difference in what I consider to be an "everyday beer", e.g. O'Hara's IPA (or fixes rock, or bru ri, or journeyman or galway hooker or mcgargles) Vs 8degrees session IPA. All 2 for 4.92 currently on SuperValu website, 1litre Vs 880ml.
    I think there'd be some debate as to whether Alltech/ Stationworks are craft. And 8 Degrees, actually (multinational owned). But regardless O'Hara's/ Rye River/ Stationworks are much bigger operations than a lot of craft breweries, and are producing bottles for supermarkets that probably ties them into those lines to some degree.
    Anyway. Is what it is. Point being that 500ml cans were all that was available, generally speaking, in cans until recently, so wanted to know why the craft breweries, despite producing 500ml bottles happily enough have downsized to a more unusual size, which I would imagine would not be any cheaper to buy empty than 500ml due to being more niche (all the macro breweries using 500ml as standard, so should be ubiquitous thus cheaper to source than 440ml).
    I don't really recall any 500ml Irish craft cans? But I wouldn't be so sure it's that easy to source, or cheaper, entirely because the commercials use them. 500ml canning lines can't be that easy to come by either, given that there was a thread about Smithwicks/ Kilkenny cans, and Diagio having to focus their own canning lines on bigger sellers.

It's actually a handy marketing differentiation - helps stop people being fooled into look like craft commercial beers to? I know if I saw a 500ml "craft" can I'd be checking before buying (and I actually did on the Pyynikin that was in the lidl "craft" imports (I think they are, unlike Steamboat)).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,134 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Craft beer here tend to be 330ml cans. Most cans are that size. Main commercial beers tend to be 330-375ml bottles.

Can’t remember seeing 500ml is anything other than cheap slop. Exception being Guinness/Kilkenny that’s as it’s imported.

Mellor wrote: »
    Craft beer here tend to be 330ml cans. Most cans are that size. Main commercial beers tend to be 330-375ml bottles.

Can’t remember seeing 500ml is anything other than cheap slop. Exception being Guinness/Kilkenny that’s as it’s imported.

Are you based somewhere warm?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I'm sorry that breweries have stopped marketing the half pint/250ml bottle. We should have that option rather than have them prodding us to drink more than we want or need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

feargale wrote: »
    I'm sorry that breweries have stopped marketing the half pint/250ml bottle. We should have that option rather than have them prodding us to drink more than we want or need.

Aldi Brasserie - 10x250ml stubbies for a fiver!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

HBC08 wrote: »
    Pints are smaller in the US?
    A pint is a pint 568ml,a mug,cup,glass of beer smaller than that is not a pint.

A UK pint is 568ml as its based off UK gallons.
    A US Pint is about 375ml from memory as it's based off US gallons

UK gallon is ~4.45 litres, US gallon is ~3.7. The respective pint is a ratio of the gallon.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

small cans less conspicuous sipping away at a desk while WFH...lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Point being that 500ml cans were all that was available, generally speaking, in cans until recently
    See-through IPAs used to be the only kind as well. As far as I can see, everything went wrong when I stopped being a young person.

BeerNut wrote: »
    See-through IPAs used to be the only kind as well. As far as I can see, everything went wrong when I stopped being a young person.
    I'm ok with cloudy IPA, as long as they're 500ml :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

So?
    Before that they drank pints and flagons and quarts and what not.
    Things change.

Also, I remember drinking 250ml bottles in the 90s. And half pint bottles were standard for a long time.

Yeah, things change, and they usually get compared to what came immediately before them.

Just because you can remember what drink sizes were 30 years doesn't really matter to someone who remembers what they were two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

loyatemu wrote: »

Fine if you're having it at home. Hopefully a time will come again when we don't have to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

More importantly, why can't you get these here?

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_705890/asahi-super-dry-can-2l

I actually like Asahi as a solid all-round lager and I'd definitely keep some of these in the gaff, even just for parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Just to upset all the the purists.Bulmers have reduced their can size to 440ml but not the price(retail price,that is).Correct about the US pint measure.The US mile is also,shorter than the Imperial mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

beachhead wrote: »
    Just to upset all the the purists.Bulmers have reduced their can size to 440ml but not the price(retail price,that is).

I think that's the biggest issue people have with the 440ml cans. I've seen people complaining that some brewers (can't remember who was mentioned) have switched to them from 500ml bottles, but haven't reduced the price. Shrinkflation has been around a long time - just look at how various chocolate bars have shrunk over the years without getting any cheaper - so it was probably inevitable it would happen with beer sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Wicklow Wolf have gone from 500ml bottles to 440ml cans. As I mentioned earlier, IMO the quality of the beer has improved, and they're now generally available @ 3 for €9 whereas I think the bottles were more expensive. But you know it's consumer choice, if your main concern is price per unit of alcohol there are cheaper options out there than craft beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just to upset all the the purists.Bulmers have reduced their can size to 440ml but not the price(retail price,that is).Correct about the US pint measure.The US mile is also,shorter than the Imperial mile

There's definitely been a period where the UK cans have been less than 500ml (ie. 440ml) for a lot of mainstream booze. It was always especially noticeable when you'd have a stray Magners or Guinness in the fridge from a trip up North or to Glasto etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,134 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

irish_goat wrote: »
    Are you based somewhere warm?

Yes. Sydney. And I agree that’s the reason.
    The idea of 500ml cans outdoors in summer...ugh.
    Carries through to bars also. Pints (568ml) are available, but 425ml is standard.

sabat wrote: »
    More importantly, why can't you get these here?

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_705890/asahi-super-dry-can-2l

I actually like Asahi as a solid all-round lager and I'd definitely keep some of these in the gaff, even just for parties.

Some beers are coming in 2-3L like the above. Many breweries/craft bars selling growlers of tap beer to take home. Getting warm not an issue as they are kept chilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Its no Biere D'Or, sadly unavailable now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wicklow Wolf have gone from 500ml bottles to 440ml cans. As I mentioned earlier, IMO the quality of the beer has improved, and they're now generally available @ 3 for €9 whereas I think the bottles were more expensive. But you know it's consumer choice, if your main concern is price per unit of alcohol there are cheaper options out there than craft beer.
    Yes, they told me that's there standard pricing, which it does seem to be in off licences (Musgrave outlets not so much). My local to work off licence was 3 for €10 when they were bottles.
    C&C think their craft, given how often they tag (particularly in the US) magners as #irishcraftbeer on instagram...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Its no Biere D'Or, sadly unavailable now

When my brother-in-law was doing up a holiday house a decade or so ago, crates and crates of bold Biere D'Or were the usual fuel for late evening painting / tiling / whatever sessions. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 omegaodie

In a way this an anwser to all. Right now i'm drinking a PINT of beer. it's 50% home brew, 18€ / 40(ish) per pint, 50% galahad 8.??€ / 12. No bottling, still fizzy, tastes nice, **** yeah.

I don't mind paying the same price for 88% of the volume when it saves trips to the bottle bank. I'd go as far as 80% and still be happy.

• Advertisement

Noticed in the offy at the weekend that William Bro's have some of their beers in 500ml cans. Aside from Punk IPA, I think it's the only UK craft beer I've seen in that size of can.

Advertisement