Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Charlton has died

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

Not to take anything away from Charlton but we had a seriously talented group of players during his time which became somewhat blunted due to Jacks, er, robust tactics and style of play.

always one football manager hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Not to take anything away from Charlton but we had a seriously talented group of players during his time which became somewhat blunted due to Jacks, er, robust tactics and style of play.

Is that you Eamon..? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Dayjur wrote: »

The funny thing is, Charlton's tactics used in the current game?

Would be called the high press and fast transition.

"Long ball" lessens the actual impact of what he achieved and over simplifies it.
    Recognising our immediate attributes and as Jack was fond of saying.
    Imposing our game on the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Prior to Jack Ireland had never qualified for a FIFA World Cup or a European Championship. That’s how little impact football in Ireland had on the international stage.

In 1988 we qualified for the euros. Acquitted ourselves well. In 1990 we qualified, reached the quarter final of the World Cup, narrowly loosing to Italy. We went from practically a team there to make up the numbers to being one of the last 8 teams in the competition. Imagine we were a goal or two from a World Cup semi final. That’s what Jack and the lads did for us. 1990 was a summer of pure joy...the happiness

1994 I was over in New York, there only a teenager...Ray Houghton scored at the other end of Giants stadium, place went mad. The sheer amount of happiness enjoyed by Irish people that day and for a while to come was unmatched...

The impact Jack had on many of our lives, our enjoyment, excitement and joy of being Irish... great times, he was a great guy..uncompromising, driven, smart and a gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Dayjur wrote: »

It's a myth that Ireland had a poor squad and had to be plucky just because Jack was brought in, anyone with even a passing interest in football would tell you that.

We had players that could actually play football, all of them or most playing for the top sides in England.

That doesn't tally with the whole Ole Ole nonsense though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

banie01 wrote: »
    The funny thing is, Charlton's tactics used in the current game?

Would be called the high press and fast transition.

"Long ball" lessens the actual impact of what he achieved and over simplifies it.
    Recognising our immediate attributes and as Jack was fond of saying.
    Imposing our game on the opposition.

it certainly is used and unfortunately with devastating efficiency in the current liverpool team

It's a myth that Ireland had a poor squad and had to be plucky just because Jack was brought in, anyone with even a passing interest in football would tell you that.

We had players that could actually play football, all of them or most playing for the top sides in England.

True...Eoin Hand had players who could play too, at the peak of their powers, but he wasn’t chartering a jet to a World Cup or Euros...

https://www.11v11.com/teams/republic-of-ireland/tab/players/season/1986/

United, Liverpool, Celtic, Spurs, Arsenal, Newcastle players...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

A team can achieve nothing without a leader, no matter how much talent any individual has. Just heard John Aldridge say on the news that the team would do anything for him. Paul McGrath just described losing a father figure. That’s what gets results.

What he brought to Our country is way beyond football. He taught us we can dream big and achieve at a time when we most needed it.

Today is a day for Ole, Ole, Ole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

God is dead.

The memory of beating in England 1988 as a kid will stay with me for ever.
    My parents and brothers was screaming and shouting dancing it was fantastic.
    That game changed football in Ireland, Football in Ireland then exploded.

1990 will never ever be surpassed, as a kid Dad came home early from work and we all went to the pub to it was late.
    The parties the flags i think 1990 was the best year in my life a year i wont ever forget.

Good or bad team what it did for the country was unbelievable at the time.

Jack is a football legend for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Damien360 wrote: »
    Has anyone found the original clip of Jack at the Aviva. I remember seeing it on TV at the time on rte news I think and there was no stupid commentary.

Some commentary on this link that someone shared on twitter earlier, but you can hear the crowd break into another “We’re all part of Jackie’s army...” toward the end.

It’s so difficult to put into words how much he meant, and will always mean to a nation of dreamers who he helped become achievers. I don’t remember ‘88 properly but I remember so well how Italia 90 changed & united us so much at a time when we really needed it.
    He really was something else, and the legacy he leaves behind is a testament to the great man he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭This is it

itac wrote: »
    Some commentary on this link that someone shared on twitter earlier, but you can hear the crowd break into another “We’re all part of Jackie’s army...” toward the end.

https://vimeo.com/130414914

It’s so difficult to put into words how much he meant, and will always mean to a nation of dreamers who he helped become achievers. I don’t remember ‘88 properly but I remember so well how Italia 90 changed & united us so much at a time when we really needed it.
    He really was something else, and the legacy he leaves behind is a testament to the great man he was.

Wow, that's linked video is amazing. I'm not far off tears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭PGE1970

In 1990, Ireland was a depressing place to be. There were no jobs and we were, essentially, a third world country.

But the summer of 1990 was the most exciting time of my life. I was 20, on the dole, skint and there was f ** k all to look forward to.

And then we had the most magical 4 weeks ever. Where people cried, laughed and hugged. Where we stood up and were proud to be Irish.

The nation held its breath and we put 'em under pressure.

You had to be there.

RIP Jack. Thank you for giving the country hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

A lot of our most talented technical players were coming to end of their careers when Charlton came in... namely Brady and Whelan.

We tried to play technical passing football under previous managers like Giles and Eoin Hand, but got nowhere with it.

Your view is quite typical of the (admittedly small) cohort of football revisionists in this country, who think Charlton underachieved. When in fact his record suggests that he actually overachieved.

This attitude is mostly just borne out of the fact that people found his style of football to be unsophisticated and uncultured. It's football snobbery basically... and you guys are incapable of looking beyond what you see as an ugly style of play, and recognising that it was hugely effective and efficient.

But this is actually part of the reason I loved Big Jack... he put a lot of people's noses out of joint... he did it HIS way, and all the football snobs and purists simply had to sit there bite their lip and accept it... because we got results and nobody enjoyed playing against us! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

RIP Jack. Legend of a man. We really were part of the team in the 90s

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Masala

There’s a lovely bronze statue of him fishing at cork Airport. A fitting tribute.

I will always cherish my OPEL jersey. Wouldn’t sell it for all the tea in Yorkshire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

RIP Big Jack and condolences to his family

Best manager of Ireland during my time watching the national team. And a great character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I havent been a football fan since 1990. This news sure smarts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Masala

Will Michael D go over for funeral.... it deserves a big representative from Ireland to say THANKS JACK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Masala wrote: »
    Will Michael D go over for funeral.... it deserves a big representative from Ireland to say THANKS JACK

He loves his football so I'm sure he will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

This was along with Jacks Army the anthem. Nancy spains back bar big screen. 17 years old. Jesus Christ when did I get old....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Masala wrote: »
    Must do surely, Jack was a real credit to himself and England, and embraced the culture and customs of this country without any bull or politics, was a straight talker, and a clever thinker, way ahead of what the perception of him was as a manager, he got the best out of his players, trusted them to do a job, and they all bought into his vision, the kick and rush nonsense was correct to a degree, but it was the likes of Dunphy, a bitter man who had very little pedigree in the game, who tried to enhance his profile by baiting Jack Charlton. They played some very good stuff, and achieved incredible results, if you want style points, watch ballet dancing or gymnastics, there is more than one way to play, and he found a winning system. Ireland had a great generation of players, but they may have been wasted without Jack, who was the glue to stick them all together. Add this to the fact that the FAI are a shambolic organisation, and that might give you an idea of the magnitude of that team and their achievements. On the Wednesday after beating England at Euro 88, they outplayed The USSR, who were a very strong side, and were desperately unlucky to draw 1-1. The following Saturday, needing a draw to reach the semi finals, Ireland were undone by a horrible spinning freak goal, by the Dutch, who were 0-0 for 82 minutes. The tournament concluded with the Dutch winning, defeating USSR 2-0, including a fantastic Marco Van Basten goal. The finalists were both in Irelands group, and Ireland more than held their own against them. This was not kick and rush football at all. More importantly it gave the players belief that they could compete at a high level, and raised expectations, Jack and the team gave us hope for the future, he was a hugely positive influence, and the memories he left behind will live forever. RIP, and thanks Jackie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

A lot of our most talented technical players were coming to end of their careers when Charlton came in... namely Brady and Whelan.

We tried to play technical passing football under previous managers like Giles and Eoin Hand, but got nowhere with it.

Your view is quite typical of the (admittedly small) cohort of football revisionists in this country, who think Charlton underachieved. When in fact his record suggests that he actually overachieved.

This attitude is mostly just borne out of the fact that people found his style of football to be unsophisticated and uncultured. It's football snobbery basically... and you guys are incapable of looking beyond what you see as an ugly style of play, and recognising that it was hugely effective and efficient.

But this is actually part of the reason I loved Big Jack... he put a lot of people's noses out of joint... he did it HIS way, and all the football snobs and purists simply had to sit there bite their lip and accept it... because we got results and nobody enjoyed playing against us! :D

People tend to confuse a cultural zeitgeist moment for a nation with the hard facts of Charlton's time as manager. The passing of time and over sentimentality has no doubt played a part in this.

Obviously under Jack there were some great moments; beating England and the most memorable of all, beating Italy in the Giants Stadium are, in and of themselves, outstanding sporting achievements.

However the football deployed under Charlton was dire. Like really dire. Which is a shame because we actually had some very talented players, who under a better manager could have literally achieved anything.

People point out Hand and Giles; neither were exceptional by any standard as managers and were seen as relatively safe bets by the FAI at the time, as was Jack. The man achieved his initial remit; get Ireland to a major tournament and he did just that and even repeated it on another two occasions, which is a fair achievement, but lets not fool ourselves here that the man is/was the savior of Irish football when the talent was already there but essentially wasted by the conservatism and usual shortsightedness of the FAI.

But sure look, Ole Ole away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

People tend to confuse a cultural zeitgeist moment for a nation with the hard facts of Charlton's time as manager. The passing of time and over sentimentality has no doubt played a part in this.

Obviously under Jack there were some great moments; beating England and the most memorable of all, beating Italy in the Giants Stadium are, in and of themselves, outstanding sporting achievements.

However the football deployed under Charlton was dire. Like really dire. Which is a shame because we actually had some very talented players, who under a better manager could have literally achieved anything.

People point out Hand and Giles; neither were exceptional by any standard as managers and were seen as relatively safe bets by the FAI at the time, as was Jack. The man achieved his initial remit; get Ireland to a major tournament and he did just that and even repeated it on another two occasions, which is a fair achievement, but lets not fool ourselves here that the man is/was the savior of Irish football when the talent was already there but essentially wasted by the conservatism and usual shortsightedness of the FAI.

True but **** it. Not a footie fan but he engendered a collective sense of fun and hopefulness and just a happy time for the nation. Leave the dissection till later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Can you buy Put 'Em Under Pressure in itunes? If you do, does it count for the charts? I was thinking that as we're still quite limited in how we can pay our respects, getting it to number one could be something we could do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

Absolute legend. We were in school one day and the headmaster announced that there were buses outside and we were going on a surprise trip somewhere...turns out it was a short trip down the road to a pub...to meet Jack Charlton. This was right after Italia 90. Place went mental. It was Big Jack just swarmed by ankle biters. He didn't know what to do! Met everyone and handed us all a signed photo. Kids were wrapped around his legs so he couldn't run off ��. Jesus the excitement was off the charts.

I was 8 then. Woke up to the news this morning and was so saddened by it.

You had to experience Italia 90 to understand. Pure magical time in Ireland.

Fellas were getting stranded in Italy with no money and trying to get people to send over money so they could stay on for the next game. It was unbelievable stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,889 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

legend of a man

Changed football culture in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

PGE1970 wrote: »
    In 1990, Ireland was a depressing place to be. There were no jobs and we were, essentially, a third world country.

But the summer of 1990 was the most exciting time of my life. I was 20, on the dole, skint and there was f ** k all to look forward to.

And then we had the most magical 4 weeks ever. Where people cried, laughed and hugged. Where we stood up and were proud to be Irish.

The nation held its breath and we put 'em under pressure.

You had to be there.

RIP Jack. Thank you for giving the country hope.

As someone said earlier you had to live through it to know what it meant to the citizens of this nation. It genuinely was a turning point for the country and personally I don't give a hoot about the begruders who say we played crap football and could have done better.

People who understand, understand and those that don't never will.

Spare a thought for any of us born in the late 1980s or later. We grew up with Mick McCarthy and Saipan was our Stadio Olimpico, the whole 2002 tournament was marred even before it began, despite some good performances.

I think the 1990 World Cup had as much to do with Ireland's growing sense of confidence after a decade of recession and emigration, and people saw something in Jack Charlton that embodied that confidence, maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

RIP Jack.

You gave us memories we will never forget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I doubt bobby will go to the funeral

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

A legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

iguana wrote: »
    Can you buy Put 'Em Under Pressure in itunes? If you do, does it count for the charts? I was thinking that as we're still quite limited in how we can pay our respects, getting it to number one could be something we could do.

Saw a campaign about getting the flags and bunting out on the day of the funeral as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I remember the games being so tense in the pub that you'd celebrate winning a corner like you'd scored a screamer of a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A legend of a man who transformed our football team and gave us hope when there was very little hope to be had. I remember Italia '90 so well. :D

RIP Jack. You left a big legacy and will not be forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

silverharp wrote: »
    I was just showing my son the highlights from world cup 1990 during the week , what a summer

RIP Jack. Great days. All the more heightened by the stagnation of those times versus now.
    I was 17, just finished the Leaving and I recall the excitement of Italy, Pavarotti belting it out, Terminator 2 in the cinema and ...the Beat on the Street ! :D
    Great day's, as was summer 94 even if it went pear shaped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

RIP Big Man.

Did more for this country than any political leader ever has.

R. I. P. Jack.

Almost true. Except for Sean Lemass. Steady on now.

Spare a thought for any of us born in the late 1980s or later. We grew up with Mick McCarthy and Saipan was our Stadio Olimpico, the whole 2002 tournament was marred even before it began, despite some good performances.

I think the 1990 World Cup had as much to do with Ireland's growing sense of confidence after a decade of recession and emigration, and people saw something in Jack Charlton that embodied that confidence, maybe.

Does your parent know you're using their phone? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

An Ri rua wrote: »
    RIP Jack. Great days. All the more heightened by the stagnation of those times versus now.
    I was 17, just finished the Leaving and I recall the excitement of Italy, Pavarotti belting it out, Terminator 2 in the cinema and ...the Beat on the Street ! :D
    Great day's, as was summer 94 even if it went pear shaped.

Me too to all of the above :)

I've never been a football fan but even if you weren't you were drawn into the excitement of it all, a great time to be 17. RIP Jack Charlton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I doubt bobby will go to the funeral

Why? He’s his brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why? He’s his brother
    There was a long-running feud. Seems they were seen in public together in 2018.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Why? He’s his brother

Ask bobbys wife

Bobby’s wife and Jack and Bobby’s mother didn’t see eye to eye which caused some tension I have read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

But sure look, Ole Ole away.

That has to be one of the most cynical summations of the Charlton era I've ever read...

It's all well and good saying we had great players AFTER Charlton comes in and gets us to several major tournaments. I wonder would you have been sitting their saying how great and talented our players were, when we were perpetually failing to qualify for every tournament!? (Like I said, you are practicing some very grand and elaborate revisionism!)

The football wasn't dire either btw. It was functional, but we actually had plenty of exciting moments in those years.

And despite being very functional style tactics, I really don't think Charlton got enough credit for the intelligence behind our strategy. There was a fair amount of thought behind the way we played, and how to stop other teams from playing their own game too!

Trapattoni even attempted to replicate the Charlton tactics towards the end of his tenure with Ireland, but actually didn't seem to fully understand how to implement that style... something I've always found quite amusing tbh, considering Trapattoni is widely considered to be one of the sharpest tactical minds in the history of European football. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tellyium

Rest in Peace Jack. I’m old enough to remember the absolute euphoria the entire country experienced in 88,90 and even 94. Seeing clips now still brings a huge smile.
    The kids love when I sing the chorus of Give it a lash Jack. Must explain to them who Jack was and how he brought such happiness to an entire nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Liam Brady story about Jack.....

Jack Charlton's first words to me were, "You're number eight,Ian." I said, "Ian Brady was the Moors Murderer ,Jack."

R.I.P. Big Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

RIP jack - it is often forgotten looking at that footage - he was an outstanding player too.

I shed a few tears today - it is not just about Jack, it is about you and your life, your family , your dreams , your father, your friends, your happiness , your ambition, your Roddy Doyle admiration, your brother's wedding and the match, your first Irish Shirt , your first Idol, your first kiss, your first match, your first trip away , your first drink , your first big failure, your lost friends, your lost love ones.

I know that these are mostly masculine conditions. Joe O'Connor wrote well about it - "The Irish Male".

People go - it is only poxy football who cares. But there was something deep inside me that I can not explain during them moments . A level of pride that has simply been impossible to find at times.

Incredible stuff on the radio today , this will grow as week goes. We kinda need a funeral for this one.

I didn't know much about him as a person - he kinda came across as a cantankerous moody dude.

But - the stuff people were saying , was a very different picture. His human side.

But - it is not just about Jack, there is a little bit of that time in anyone who was around. That has just come back in such a powerfull way today.

Thanks Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm heartbroken after reading that Jack Charlton has died.

I was only a little baby when Italia 90 was with us and I was 4 years old when USA 94 was around which lead me to not remembering much of it. But seeing all of the past memories from Euro 88, Italia 90 & USA 94 leads me with the belief that a man like Jack Charlton had lead our country to a wonderful legacy that couldn't be matched at the time for all of us to enjoy & to savour. It was simply a wonderful time to be an Irish football fan in that period. He had a real sense of deserved authority in how to act like an honorary Irishman right in front of us. To be with Jack Charlton would give you the same feeling as being cloud 9.

As I have never met the man himself. The news of his death today did leave me with some tears. I will miss him greatly. RIP Jack. You were a great legend. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

As both an Ireland and Leeds fan this is terribly sad news. It’s been a “surreal” day. Went a bit numb when I heard the news.

Really took the shine off the day when the old boy was going to be showing off his brand new Lexus.

RIP Big Jack.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement