Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The hse are a Fcukin disgrace why is there not strong laws against travel from countries where the r rate is much higher than here?

I agree completely on the travel bans for certain countries, but I don't think it comes under HSE's jurisdiction does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I agree completely on the travel bans for certain countries, but I don't think it comes under HSE's jurisdiction does it?

The HSE don’t make any laws...the Department of Health (CMO) make recommendations to the government around all public health issues including travel,and it’s completely up to the government whether they act on these recommendations or not

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

We have a new Government and I appreciate it might takes time for them to get established but action should have been taken on travel ..we don't have the luxury of time . ..,.we are allowing tourists to fly in here from the US and today they set a new record for cases .... ..how responsible is that .... theres a functioning Dail that could have passed legislation to at least.make it illegal for them to ignore Quarantine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The only solution for those arriving from Covid hotspots like Brazil (via allowed hubs), US, Sweden and so on is mandatory quarantine in unoccupied co living spaces and/or hotels, if necessary subsidised by the State.

Yes I know, I know but it would be money well spent IMV. Otherwise this will not end well. Of course returning holidaymakers/travellers from the permitted countries are a risk also, but not as much as the above countries

Email your TDs about this and the Ministers for Health and Transport departments

All their contact details are here.

(Link above opens in your Spreadsheet software)

Us giving out about it on an internet forum won't result in any changes. We need to back up our warranted concerns about this with action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

jay0109 wrote: »
    Nope, hence I said 'make of that what you will'!

Did Holohan not say in his press conference a few days ago when this cluster was first revealed that they had come in through Belfast? I'm near certain I'd saw that referenced here that evening

They were very reckless and irresponsible - that's the issue people are annoyed with. They've caused 10% of all Sligo's cases in the space of a few days.

They travelled from Iraq to Ireland in the middle of a pandemic.
    Let's say they came in via Dublin - why did his brother have to drive from Sligo to collect him? They could have got a bus back to Sligo.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/up-to-14-members-of-the-same-family-at-centre-of-covid-cluster-in-sligo-1008362.html

“He did everything he was told - he filled out the required contact form at Dublin Airport and he returned to Sligo to self isolate,” the man's brother added.

“He had a meal in my parent's house and then he returned to the apartment he lives in with his wife and child. The next day, on Tuesday, he went for a test and he then returned to his apartment.

He was meant to be self-isolating but went off for dinner in his parents house - ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

It looks like useless quarantine would be lifted by the middle of next week ! First good decision by new gov !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

The only solution for those arriving from Covid hotspots like Brazil (via allowed hubs), US, Sweden and so on is mandatory quarantine in unoccupied co living spaces and/or hotels, if necessary subsidised by the State.

Yes I know, I know but it would be money well spent IMV. Otherwise this will not end well. Of course returning holidaymakers/travellers from the permitted countries are a risk also, but not as much as the above countries

It would cost a fortune but anyone who argues that it’s too expensive doesn’t see the bigger picture of how much it would cost us to not do it.

Just like opening pubs to save jobs in the sector could set off another wave and have another load of people on €350 a week, again.

I’m absolutely baffled by people not thinking ahead during this. Ah sure it’ll be grand attitude. Like when they announced the €350 and everyone was all “playin a blinder lads”, yes it was a good idea at the start but it was weeks before the press started saying “hang on, this’ll cost a few quid lads” and everyone reacting with “****, that’s a lot of money”.

Via Reddit
    The UK is apparently discussing restricting tourists from the US, essentially because of agreements we cannot do it unless they do.

Is this true? We can't ban USA till the UK do?

That doesn't make sense surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What they are doing at the moment in not telling people it's safe to travel to EU countries is idiotic, this tactic will result in much more tourists from these countries arriving here as no Irish travellers will be taking capacity on the flights outbound and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Via Reddit

Baffled by that to be quite honest. But there may be as mentioned, some agreements re visa free travel using ESTA or something like that.

Be interesting to see what transpires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

quartz1 wrote: »
    We have a new Government and I appreciate it might takes time for them to get established but action should have been taken on travel ..we don't have the luxury of time . ..,.we are allowing tourists to fly in here from the US and today they set a new record for cases .... ..how responsible is that .... theres a functioning Dail that could have passed legislation to at least.make it illegal for them to ignore Quarantine

We have a new government comprising of the same 2 main parties of the last government, its hardly an excuse.

Via Reddit

I can’t think of why it hasn’t been done already. There must have been a reason, so perhaps it was CTA related.

Seen a couple of sources today saying that UK is working on the legislation to ban travelers from USA other than EU/EEA/UK citizens, permanent residency card holders and families. Just like the rest of Europe. Ireland would be the last left to have unrestricted US arrivals if they did

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I can’t think of why it hasn’t been done already. There must have been a reason, so perhaps it was CTA related.

Seen a couple of sources today saying that UK is working on the legislation to ban travelers from USA other than EU/EEA/UK citizens, permanent residency card holders and families. Just like the rest of Europe. Ireland would be the last left to have unrestricted US arrivals if they did

The UK already have the US on there there list for mandatory quarantine for travelers on arrival

ZX7R wrote: »
    The UK already have the US on there there list for mandatory quarantine for travelers on arrival

I know. But that’s not the same as restricting entry, like schengen countries do. Quarantine is as much a joke as in Ireland. My understanding was from reports yesterday that they are looking at a US travel ban

You can’t every fly from the USA to anywhere in Germany, and US citizens, unless family members of an EU citizen, will get turned away from most EU countries

gral6 wrote: »
    I have e-mailed my TD. He has replied that gov are looking into it and all the travel restrictions are planned to be lifted completely after 23rd July. Happy days !

Eh?

So there's zero control of who's coming in after July 23rd? Ireland will be open to all?

Eh?

So there's zero control of who's coming in after July 23rd? Ireland will be open to all?

If this was the case we would have to enforce the list of none travel issued by the EU commission

I have e-mailed my TD. He has replied that gov are looking into it and all the travel restrictions are planned to be lifted completely after 23rd July. Happy days !

Who's your TD?

Difficult to believe as literally no other country is going to do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Why can you not fly in when we have American tourists flying in? Is the problem that you won’t get back as you’re not a US citizen?

No I can technically go, I want to do the right thing though, so I will follow what the CMO says, since his opinion and the opinion of public health doctors in Ireland are the only one's that matter, regarding a pandemic.

There is also risk of a sudden rule change in a few days or a few weeks, so I am waiting for the CMO to say its ok for Irish people to return for non essential reasons and they will not have to quarantine for 14 days.

For me essential is bereavement, work or medical reasons.

I am due to be the godfather at a christening but I don't think that is essential for example.

I'm not going to lie.

• Advertisement

More slight media coverage. No major outlets that I've seen picking it up so far though
    Multiple reports of American tourists visiting Ireland causing concern among locals

https://www.irishpost.com/news/multiple-reports-of-american-tourists-visiting-ireland-causing-concern-among-locals-188234

On a friend's Twitter. They work at Dublin airport
    "The airport is packed with people arriving. Very few Irish among them"

I think we're in big trouble

Our Government are spineless!

I am due to be the godfather at a christening but I don't think that is essential for example.

I'm not going to lie.

Feel sorry for you ! Keep hiding !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

keep an eye on https://www.flightradar24.com/ to whats landing here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Feel sorry for you ! Keep hiding !

It's my duty to my fellow humans

It is good to see that people are flying a lot now ! Thanks god, Dublin airport is rising from the dead ! Thousands of people come back to work there !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

It is good to see that people are flying a lot now ! Thanks god, Dublin airport is rising from the dead ! Thousands of people come back to work there !

What is wrong with you? You do realise that letting in lots of tourists (especially from the high-risk countries) will cause a surge here - undoing all the good we’ve achieved?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A friend of mine told me there is a bus load of Americans wandering around Adare this weekend. Can that be true?

What is wrong with you? You do realise that letting in lots of tourists (especially from the high-risk countries) will cause a surge here - undoing all the good we’ve achieved?

Millli I think people need to look at the bigger picture of tourism
    The reality is the big issue is not so much tourist visiting rather us returning from holidays.
    For example Spanish tourists coming to Ireland.
    The biggest number of Spanish tourists are students most come in the summer for education camps or as exchange students all the summer camps are cancelled that is thousands of people that won't be visiting this year.
    And if you're worried about Americans I would not worry as most were coming in via UK to the north thankfully the UK have a mandatory isolation for American visitors starting next week now and the northern Ireland assembly has also ratified it so even if they try to get a connecting flight to the north they will be still subject to the qurantine

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    A friend of mine told me there is a bus load of Americans wandering around Adare this weekend. Can that be true?

Together with brazilians off course? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I fail to see the problem if Adare businesses are adhering strictly to covid 19 protocols including disinfection and these people aren't visiting private peoples homes
    Same for other parts of the country

The bigger problem is the likes of what was going on in Dublin and elsewhere last night
    This is what the natives are at...

https://twitter.com/BarryWhyte85/status/1279523136413761544?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I fail to see the problem if Adare businesses are adhering strictly to covid 19 protocols including disinfection and these people aren't visiting private peoples homes
    Same for other parts of the country

The bigger problem is the likes of what was going on in Dublin and elsewhere last night
    This is what the natives are at...

https://twitter.com/BarryWhyte85/status/1279523136413761544?s=19

Just shut down the pubs not behaving

People keep saying this. But I’ve yet to see a photo of these plane loads or bus loads of Americans, or the hordes of UK registered cars rolling off the ferry, which is quite remarkable in this social media world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Check Dublin arrivals for tomorrow morning. There's Boston, New York and Chicago due in tomorrow morning.

Check Dublin arrivals for tomorrow morning. There's Boston, New York and Chicago due in tomorrow morning.

Grand ! Things are moving !

• Advertisement

3 weeks after the first post on this thread: 15 of today's 23 cases are from from travel

I'm struggling to think of an EU country with weaker airport and travel restrictions than Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maybe we need to gather at airports to block the tourists from coming into the country, it would require a mass of people though, perhaps the government then might bring in the travel ban if they see such a reaction. Of course to do that, social distancing will go out the window.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Maybe we need to gather at airports to block the tourists from coming into the country, it would require a mass of people though, perhaps the government then might bring in the travel ban if they see such a reaction. Of course to do that, social distancing will go out the window.

Will you be supplying the Pitchforks or should people bring their own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What about Ireland of the cead mile failte.

Slava Ukrainii

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

How about we quarantine all the vunerable people and let the rest of us get the country going again. A lot easier to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

3 weeks after the first post on this thread: 15 of today's 23 cases are from from travel

I'm struggling to think of an EU country with weaker airport and travel restrictions than Ireland

Unbelievable that we are still allowing those from the US in. Whatever about Europe.

flazio wrote: »
    And how exactly are you going to make Arlene Foster close all Northern Ireland air and sea ports off from her fellow country folk?

Just close the border between us and them so she doesn’t have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Grand ! Things are moving !

**** that, arrivals should be banned from the USA. They need to get their **** together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Limpy wrote: »
    How about we quarantine all the vunerable people and let the rest of us get the country going again. A lot easier to do
    Sure, are you ready to pay for it?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Just close the border between us and them so she doesn’t have to.

The border is the reason Brexit didn't happen yet. Now its the republic's turn to feel the pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Unbelievable that we are still allowing those from the US in. Whatever about Europe.
    Only 6 travel related cases over the last week. The alarm about travel is more about people going abroad and what they might bring back.

The northern Ireland / UK travel safe travel list may work in our favor slowing imported case's from high risk ie US
    But as long as we let those flights come in we are ironically putting the UK and northern Ireland at risk at the moment.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Only 6 travel related cases over the last week. The alarm about travel is more about people going abroad and what they might bring back.

:confused:

15 of today's 23 cases alone are from from travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

:confused:

15 of today's 23 cases alone are from from travel

15 related to travel.
    From what Dr Glynn was saying, it was a case of 1 or 2 coming back from travel and then meeting up with a group of friends.

15 related to travel.
    From what Dr Glynn was saying, it was a case of 1 or 2 coming back from travel and then meeting up with a group of friends.

"related to" or "from", the point is the same really; If our airports weren't so much of a joke we wouldn't have 15 of today's cases

• Advertisement
Advertisement