Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The main problem is that it either wont work in certain areas or people wont do it. I am pretty relaxed about Covid, continued working, shopping, etc but followed the guidelines and stayed away from relatives for the most part.

Have you been to a shop? People cant even manage to stand on the bloody white dots painted on the ground ffs! Then they get in the shop and the mask comes off to talk, they touch everything, then wipe their face underneath the mask and climb over my trolley or me to get the bread while a sensible person waits 2 metres behind me.

It wont work because too many people are idiots.

Yeah I agree, a lot of people won't follow guidelines or take silly risks.
    I suppose the best we can hope for is majority people are sensible the majority of the time.

2 Ryanair flights just left Dublin in the last half hour for Sofia in Bulgaria, neither flight departure is listed on the Dublin Airport website, assumption is these are bringing in more seasonal workers?

why are you assuming this?

No Ryanair planes matching that on flightradar either

We need dedicated quarantine facilities for anyone coming into the country.

Let's be honest if we couldn't set up our immigration processing at the airport to avoid letting these people do whatever they want when they come here, they ain't going to do it for a temporary virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There should be a list published weekly with travel bans for certain countries. It should be based on the level of C19 in those countries

Here’s a few off top of my head to kick it off

America
    Brazil
    Sweden
    Iran

And to be honest the UK should probably be on the list too

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

As long as you dont sneeze, cough, eat, drink, spit or touch anything we will be fine then.

You are aware one must first be infected before they can pass on the virus?

Sneezing, coughing etc is only a problem when someone is carrying the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭gral6

StefanFal wrote: »
    Why Sweden? You don't exactly have great numbers regarding the death rates in Ireland either. Like us in Sweden you murdered the elderly too.

I am coming in with a group of friends from Stockholm for a week's cycling in the west. We don't intend having any contact with the locals. Purely cycling.

Have a good time ! There are a lot of mad people here(watched too much of TV) still cockooning, but, thanks god, a lot more reasonable people here !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

You are aware one must first be infected before they can pass on the virus?

Sneezing, coughing etc is only a problem when someone is carrying the virus.

You know what asymptomatic transmission is, right? Ireland had 9 imported cases in the last two weeks, from, utter shocker, the UK and Sweden.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Let's be honest if we couldn't set up our immigration processing at the airport to avoid letting these people do whatever they want when they come here, they ain't going to do it for a temporary virus.

A temporary virus? It's here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭threeball

Anyone coming in from abroad should have to register themselves through an app and have their movements tracked. If they turn off the app they should get an immediate call from the authorities.

threeball wrote: »
    Anyone coming in from abroad should have to register themselves through an app and have their movements tracked. If they turn off the app they should get an immediate call from the authorities.

Just leave the phone at home, no, while you go to the shops? An ankle tag would be better. Or a collar like in The Running Man

• Advertisement

Just leave the phone at home, no, while you go to the shops? An ankle tag would be better. Or a collar like in The Running Man

Well why don't we just open up entirely and let the last 3 months count for nothing. Then we can get the permanent 20% unemployment figure that might keep you happy as long as you have freedom to move around as you please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

There should be a list published weekly with travel bans for certain countries. It should be based on the level of C19 in those countries

Here’s a few off top of my head to kick it off

America
    Brazil
    Sweden
    Iran

And to be honest the UK should probably be on the list too

Again just to remind you, 1 in 1700 people in the UK have active coronavirus. The risk is astronomically small. It is incorrect to put the UK in the same league as the other countries you've listed.

Anyhow, I'm grand to stay here, particularly if the reception I get on returning it anything like some of the posts on this thread. Like an ankle tag or a tracking app, janey mac! On the plus side it looks like the national lockdown measures are going to be effectively removed from the 4th of July here. It might be nice to enjoy life in England a bit before it comes back in the autumn. What do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭gral6

If they turn off the app they should get an immediate shot in the head!
    Let's eradicate the virus !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

If they turn off the app they prob won’t answer the phone if they are called?

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    If they turn off the app they prob won’t answer the phone if they are called?

Then fine them leaving the country. Its not difficult, if you come in and flout the rules you pay. What gives anyone the right to go to a foreign country and do as they please. Maybe I'll head over to the states and drive on the left because their rules don't suit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

There's been a high number of Brazilian students in Dublin for years now. Surely those with the money to do so will escape their country, their crazy bástard "leader" and still fly here if that was the plan?

After a long lockdown and very cautious reopening, our current great numbers will mean nothing by September

The 7-day average is now as low as 11 cases per day

It's a shame that 3 months of sacrifices by the majority of Irish will be undone soon with our ridiculously open airports

If you agree, write to your local TD. Internet posts won't change things

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    There's been a high number of Brazilian students in Dublin for years now. Surely those with the money to do so will escape their country, their crazy bástard "leader" and still fly here if that was the plan?

After a long lockdown and very cautious reopening, our current great numbers will mean nothing by September

Can you please back up this claim with some evidence?

For example - how many people are entering Ireland from Brazil on a daily basis? Is there even a direct flight to Brazil from Dublin?

You might want to pick up some of my other posts about why I think your concern about the UK is ill-founded.

Can you please back up this claim with some evidence?

Don't be that person who says "link?" and "source?" in their Internet replies

I'm a Dubliner and I'm using my eyes, ears and common sense. Brazilians come to the capital in their droves every year. Heck, as a male all you need to do is spend 5 mins on Tinder to see this

If they were planning to come to Dublin this Summer you'd best believe the majority still will. If for nothing else than to escape their genuinely insane leader

Brazil is absolutely riddled with Covid and is one of a few countries that shouldn't be allowed in Ireland

Otherwise, what was the last 3 months for?

Italy’s deaths and new infections today are less than ours, on a per capita basis. There’s your first air bridge right there (if they want us, that is, given that our numbers are worse)

• Advertisement

Don't be that person who says "link?" and "source?" in their Internet replies

I'm a Dubliner and I'm using my eyes, ears and common sense. Brazilians come to the capital in their droves every year. Heck, as a male all you need to do is spend 5 mins on Tinder to see this

If they were planning to come to Dublin this Summer you'd best believe the majority still will. If for nothing else than to escape their genuinely insane leader

Brazil is absolutely riddled with Covid and is one of a few countries that shouldn't be allowed in Ireland

Otherwise, what was the last 3 months for?

No, you're not "using your eyes and ears". There are no flights coming into Dublin from Rio de Janiero or any other city in Brazil.

It is fine to raise concerns, but these concerns should be evidence based.

I did some more research for you, out of the hub airports in Europe, there is 1 flight a day to Charles de Gaulle, Schiphol, and Frankfurt. There are none to Heathrow.

I guess there is a miniscule risk that some of these passengers will be headed to Dublin. I suspect the vast majority will not be given that they would need to apply for 2 separate visas to be able to do so. Then the risk that the particular passengers that do this have COVID as well. Well, given that any of these passengers actually are flying to Dublin (I doubt it) that is also another improbable jump.

Care to tell me how many Brazilians arrived in Dublin in the last week based on data?

Care to tell me how many Brazilians arrived in Dublin in the last week based on data?

You seem to be quite pre-occupied by this question, so maybe you can answer it?

You seem to be quite pre-occupied by this question, so maybe you can answer it?

I'm not going to do all your homework for you!

Look, you're the one fearmongering on this thread making out that there are hordes of Brazilians coming into Dublin Airport at the moment. If that is true you should be able to back it up. Otherwise people are going to call you out on it.

I'm not going to do all your homework for you!

And I'm not spending 10 minutes or more research to answer your question

You're derailing the thread making it all about Brazil when it's not just about them

Other countries that shouldn't be allowed in:
    • USA and all of South America, apart from Uruguay. Last I read, they'd a handle on this
    • Sweden
    • And Germany and Portugal should be on a Maybe list

There are no flights to Dublin from South America. Zero. Why are you stating this as if it is a concrete risk?

If you're not willing to back up your posts with facts, then you'll have to forgive other posters for saying that your posts are nonsense.

There are no flights to Dublin from South America. Zero. Why are you stating this as if it is a concrete risk?

If you're not willing to back up your posts with facts, then you'll have to forgive other posters for saying that your posts are nonsense.

Almost every long haul flight I took before March involved a Stopover airport in the middle

So you're saying people from South America can't and won't enter Ireland via - for example - Heathrow?

Almost every long haul flight I took before March involved a Stopover airport in the middle

So you're saying people from South America can't and won't enter Ireland via - for example - Heathrow?

There's no flight from Brazil to Heathrow either as I pointed out to you previously. There is a plane every day to each of Schiphol, Charles de Gaulle and Frankfurt. On a quick scan of the much reduced arrivals on the Heathrow website I can see no flights from South America at all in the next two days.

In all of these cases as pointed out to you already you would two visas to enter Ireland. One for the Schengen Area to get to The Netherlands, France or Germany and then an Irish visa.

I think I'll call nonsense on the idea that there's hordes of people from South America arriving in Dublin at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Other countries that shouldn't be allowed in:
    • Sweden
    • And Germany and Portugal should be on a Maybe list

Why Germany, they have had much less deaths than Ireland.
    Sweden's figures are similar to Ireland.
    And I believe Portugal's figures are lower than Ireland.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Why Germany, they have had much less deaths than Ireland.
    Sweden's figures are similar to Ireland.
    And I believe Portugal's figures are lower than Ireland.

From what I've read over the last few days:

Germany are having a big fresh spike

Portugal's numbers are rising in Lisbon
    authorities are worried that several hundred new cases are being found every day in Greater Lisbon

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/22/portugal-restores-curfew-tackle-coronavirus-spike-lisbon/

And Sweden?

Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Why Sweden? You don't exactly have great numbers regarding the death rates in Ireland either. Like us in Sweden you murdered the elderly too.

I am coming in with a group of friends from Stockholm for a week's cycling in the west. We don't intend having any contact with the locals. Purely cycling.

This Coronavirus has taught me theres no point arguing with selfish people - they’ll just continue to suit themselves.

Ireland needs to sort this out as soon as possible. As others have said we’ll be undoing everything.

Advertisement