Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

natntayif0b51.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

To be fair, most of the MAGA types have a massive allergic reaction to the New York Times. They won’t be flooding in as a result of that article lol

Generalisations leave everyone none the wiser

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Enjoying a break in Kerry. Happy to report it’s packed with mostly domestic tourists. But did chat with a couple at the hotel bar in from NC and saw a group of Americans turned away from a restaurant after being asked when they got here. They are among us...

Great to see them getting turned away

Government not going to help us? Ok then, we'll have to be rude to them till they go away

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Great to see them getting turned away

Government not going to help us? Ok then, we'll have to be rude to them till they go away

Thanks. Because of that kind of attitude I’ve had to stick a sign in the back of my car saying “Irish resident and citizen....not a British tourist” because it is a UK import that I cannot get reregistered until September. I’m genuinely worried that people like you are going to take a golf club to it

I genuinely felt that I had to do that. And my wife who is American will be scared to open her mouth when we go out west. feel like things are getting pretty poisonous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Thanks. Because of that kind of attitude I’ve had to stick a sign in the back of my car saying “Irish resident and citizen....not a British tourist” because it is a UK import that I cannot get reregistered until September. I’m genuinely worried that people like you are going to take a golf club to it

I genuinely felt that I had to do that. And my wife who is American will be scared to open her mouth when we go out west. feel like things are getting pretty poisonous

Be careful with that sign, it might attract a VRT query quicker than a golf club!

• Advertisement

Be careful with that sign, it might attract a VRT query quicker than a golf club!

yes, perhaps. The 6 months is up in August and its only been brought over a couple of weeks ago but when parked up in Strandhill or Mullaghmore strand, there will be people who think like ShineOn7 and perhaps want to take it further than their keyboard given the nature of the current discourse

yes, perhaps. The 6 months is up in August and its only been brought over a couple of weeks ago but when parked up in Strandhill or Mullaghmore strand, there will be people who think like ShineOn7 and perhaps want to take it further than their keyboard given the nature of the current discourse

Are you sure you are Irish - if you are, I am surprised you don't know that Irish people are more likely to spend the whole journey home or go on to boards or Twitter or Joe Duffy complaining about you, than to actually take a golf club to your car!

Get a grip of yourself

I said people should turn away Americans from restaurants and hotels (many already are and many more will follow)

You then jumped from that to people smashing up cars with golf clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

If you're so concerned, why not register it here in Ireland asap?
    Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Hold on, how does one know they are not turning away an Irish citizen or an american who has been a resident for the last 5 years?
    Just based on their accent?

I presume they can bring a utility bill or something?

• Advertisement

Hold on, how does one know they are not turning away an Irish citizen or an american who has been a resident for the last 5 years?

Or, just like when you land in JFK, you have to prove your out-bound flight. I would be pretty confident half of the fliers from the US have a flight back within 14 days. So, eh, how are they social isolating for 14 days? Landing, social isolating, flying back???

• Registered Users Posts: 44 repulsebay321

I'm American (born with British citizenship) and resident here for 4 years and like hell I'm bringing a utility bill to eat at a restaurant. If a restaurant doesn't want to take my word for it, they don't need my business. The onus isn't on me to prove myself when I'm legally resident.

The problem with profiling is that innocent people get caught up in the crossfire. It happened to Muslims travelling in the U.S. starting 20 years ago and to Irish people wanting jobs in Australia in the last decade (a farmer in Perth infamously said that no Irish need apply a few years ago)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

I'm American (born with British citizenship) and resident here for 4 years and like hell I'm bringing a utility bill to eat at a restaurant. If a restaurant doesn't want to take my word for it, they don't need my business. The onus isn't on me to prove myself.

The problem with profiling is that innocent people get caught up in the crossfire. It happened to Muslims travelling in the U.S. starting 20 years ago and to Irish people wanting jobs in Australia in the last decade (a farmer in Perth infamously said that no Irish need apply a few years ago)

A perfect demonstration of the fact that this needs to be determined on a governmental level rather than businesses acting as vigilantes.

Tourism from Ireland to America is restricted, I don't see why non-essential travel is not legislatively restricted at the present time.

Stop it on entry rather than causing unnecessary division and hostility further down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jelutong

Plenty American tourists in The Headford Arms in Kells Monday night last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Or, just like when you land in JFK, you have to prove your out-bound flight. I would be pretty confident half [HTML][/HTML]of the fliers from the US have a flight back within 14 days. So, eh, how are they social isolating for 14 days? Landing, social isolating, flying back???

Should have been clearer, I was referring to hotels or restaurants, turning away Americans.

jelutong wrote: »
    Plenty American tourists in The Headford Arms in Kells Monday night last.

Isn't that the place that had the 21st at the peak of the lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ThatsNotMyCat

That’s really crap that you have been made to feel like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This has happened in NZ and Australia as well. Nobody is disputing the effort being made but it doesn't give them the right to label others as a risk. If you've been reading any of the threads on this you'll have seen that anyone with an accent is fair game to some. I think when you do go on a trip all you can do is politely and firmly state that you live here.

That Chile wan is really milking it for all it’s worth.

My two cents - she was right to be refused during the pandemic.
    Oh, she's fully entitled to milk it. It's quite a GUBU. Some of those immigration people are on power trips most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

is_that_so wrote: »
    Oh, she's fully entitled to milk it. It's quite a GUBU. Some of those immigration people are on power trips most of the time

My preference is for all foreigners to be refused entry at this time.

There’s a huge public health emergency ongoing

• Advertisement

Why is it a gubu? Explain that one
    It's a Conor Cruise O'Brien quote -grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and unprecedented, about a murderer staying in the house of the AG. It pops up from time to time to describe a situation. This one is a GUBU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUBU

Even the ones entitled to be here or who live here?

Sorry you misunderstood

I know what gubu means

I’m asking you why you call the decision to refuse her entry gubu

Give reasons
    The judge ordered an inquiry under Article 40 of the Constitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I'm American (born with British citizenship) and resident here for 4 years and like hell I'm bringing a utility bill to eat at a restaurant. If a restaurant doesn't want to take my word for it, they don't need my business. The onus isn't on me to prove myself when I'm legally resident.

A real loss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

The whole thing is depressing. What the government (haven't) done and some of the comments on here are a bit worrying, TBH.

I'm British and have lived here over 10 years. I've started to get some cross-eyed looks in the shops in town, but so far, nobody's said anything. Never happened before, but I guess this virus is making us all a little crazy.

I have huge admiration for the way Leo's handled the pandemic. Thanks to his leadership and our efforts, the virus has not done as much damage as it might have done. My friends at home comment on this all the time. The lock down was strict but entirely necessary to contain the spread. Compare and contrast to our neighbours either side of us...

But - I cannot for the life of me understand why we are encouraged NOT to undertake unnecessary international travel but allow planeloads of ******* Americans here who are stupid and arrogant enough in the most part not to follow the regs and quarantine!! And no checks or follow-up here either!!!:mad: All the hard work and sacrifices made will be for nothing. I need to fly to the UK to take care of some important business. But I can't as I have been following the rules...

I must be mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

The whole thing is depressing. What the government (haven't) done and some of the comments on here are a bit worrying, TBH.

I'm British and have lived here over 10 years. I've started to get some cross-eyed looks in the shops in town, but so far, nobody's said anything. Never happened before, but I guess this virus is making us all a little crazy.

I have huge admiration for the way Leo's handled the pandemic. Thanks to his leadership and our efforts, the virus has not done as much damage as it might have done. My friends at home comment on this all the time. The lock down was strict but entirely necessary to contain the spread. Compare and contrast to our neighbours either side of us...

But - I cannot for the life of me understand why we are encouraged NOT to undertake unnecessary international travel but allow planeloads of ******* Americans here who are stupid and arrogant enough in the most part not to follow the regs and quarantine!! And no checks or follow-up here either!!!:mad: All the hard work and sacrifices made will be for nothing. I need to fly to the UK to take care of some important business. But I can't as I have been following the rules...

I must be mad...

We'll all be grand once we incorrectly wear face masks running in and out of a shop to buy a pint of milk, and as long as we only go to some pubs but not other pubs.

A real loss

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 44 repulsebay321

A real loss

It's more a loss to them than it is to me as I am quite a good cook!

Ireland has such a small population that I seriously wonder why anyone with half a brain would want to drive away legal residents who pay tax. That is the net effect of your attitude and thank goodness it is the minority.

By your logic, it was no loss when your countrywoman Sinead was rejected a job in Australia because she was Irish.

Ominous post on Reddit Ireland
    I am a Yank. Keep us out. For all your sakes.

I didn't see the briefings this week. Did our "government" (they don't deserve a capital G) bring this up?

Was it even acknowledged by them?

Did they media bring it up in their questions?

I'm starting to think Mehole & Co might have delayed the pubs opening to completely distract the newspaper headlines to something else

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There’s a flight from Brussels coming back in the next few days. One of the passengers is refusing to quarantine. How do you feel about MM?

Advertisement