Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

Yeah, its bizzare.

Lets hope those terrible American's dont pull the plug on the insane levels of investment into the facilities in Ireland, which employ thousands, and send us back to 1950.

No Americans allowed. Fear is a disgusting disease that is contagious and much more dangerous than Covid

Rest assured that the gombeen Americans coming over here right now are not the executives making international investment decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Absolutely, if the sycophants in this thread are anything to go by

Sure they’re only afraid that Apple and LinkedIn are going to repatriate their European headquarters if Hank and Darla from Iowa aren’t allowed to do the Ring of Kerry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yeah, its bizzare.

Lets hope those terrible American's dont pull the plug on the insane levels of investment into the facilities in Ireland, which employ thousands, and send us back to 1950.

No Americans allowed. Fear is a disgusting disease that is contagious and much more dangerous than Covid

I'm sure the American tourists coming over are all board members of large pharmaceutical companies that will immediately pull their companies out of Ireland and change their whole strategy because a couple of hotels don't let them stay.

Yes a real worry when all of Europe are not allowing Americans travel. All US money will immediately stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

3 people referred to gardai for not completing the locator form.

"Figures for the start of month show calls were made to 3,532 people who arrived in Ireland and only 48pc answered their phones when called."

Oh but it gets better, chances are you won't even get a call now,

"However due to the increase in people arriving here they are now selecting a “proportional cohort” of between 10pc and 20pc of each flight to call."

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/three-people-referred-to-gardai-for-refusing-to-fill-out-passenger-location-forms-39368900.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Charleville Hotel has a post on Facebook saying they are not allowing Americans in as guests for the safety of his other guests, staff and their families.
    Loads of comments as expected.

Not to be confused with the Charleville Park Hotel in Charleville, County Cork which seems to be business as usual, this is the Dublin place isn't it.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 repulsebay321

I'm sure the American tourists coming over are all board members of large pharmaceutical companies that will immediately pull their companies out of Ireland and change their whole strategy because a couple of hotels don't let them stay.

Yes a real worry when all of Europe are not allowing Americans travel. All US money will immediately stop.

I think the worry is that Trump & Co will find out that Americans haven't had the red carpet rolled out for them and there will be a Twitter backlash. Trump announces new policies and international sanctions in the middle of the night on Twitter when he gets offended, and the stock prices react accordingly. I'm sure the Irish government just doesn't want to deal with that B.S.

I think the worry is that Trump & Co will find out that Americans haven't had the red carpet rolled out for them and there will be a Twitter backlash. Trump announces new policies and international sanctions in the middle of the night on Twitter when he gets offended, and the stock prices react accordingly. I'm sure the Irish government just doesn't want to deal with that B.S.

Are tweets like this intended to be serious?

I'm pretty sure Americans are being asked to quarantine in other European countries such as France, too.

Donald Trump doesn't give a damn about vast swathes of his own public, a few hundred discommoded tourists are hardly a caucus likely to bother him. We are not the centre of the world, we are not likely to invade his fleeting attention span.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Harika

Not to be confused with the Charleville Park Hotel in Charleville, County Cork which seems to be business as usual, this is the Dublin place isn't it.

Owned by Paul Stetson well known for his publicity stunts from the white moose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I'm pretty sure Americans are being asked to quarantine in other European countries such as France, too.

Donald Trump doesn't give a damn about vast swathes of his own public, a few hundred discommoded tourists are hardly a caucus likely to bother him. We are not the centre of the world, we are not likely to invade his fleeting attention span.

When it affects his bottom line in his Clare hotel it will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Trump banned Europeans and Chinese among others from entering his country.

Isn't that what most of you are calling for her? Banning travel like Trump did.

Yes. Of course.

I am calling for a sensible clear policy based on risk and with safeguards. Not the wishy washy one we have at the moment.

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Those English language courses are some racket.

And have been for some time. But this is not the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah, because the racism and bigotry that Irish and black people faced is exactly like this :rolleyes:
    Not so much, but the loss of perspective in a time of hysteria, has labelled people along these lines. It's happened in Australia and NZ as well. It is understandable but really not pleasant to see how quickly we lump people in a category of undesirables.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

2nd wave mid august.

I guarantee it.

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Those English language courses are some racket.

They were, about 5 years ago. Totally changed now, Garda inspections, the lot.

Too many people got burned and it was ruining the country's reputation for genuine students.

Can't see why it took her 2 weeks in detention to get a court hearing; those applications are supposed to be heard "forthwith", it's a quasi emergency.

Forthwith doesn't sound like a fortnight to me

2nd wave mid august.

I guarantee it.

What does the second time wave look like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

They’re not allowed into France. They’re being asked to quarantine IN THE USA itself. Hawaii has quarantine requirements. The US northeast is edging towards tighter regulations on people travelling from hotspots too.

The big risk to American multinationals here is business disruption due to a second wave. They couldn’t give a hoot about a bus load of middle aged Texans or Floridians being slightly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Americans aren’t allow enter Schengen European countries so quarantine isn’t even an option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Another thing to note is that if big Don had his way, he would pull every US Company out of here.
    He quite literally could not give 1 toss about Ireland, he came here last year to stop for a night in Doonbeg and see how thing were going on. He had zero interest in being here.
    And none of these companies are going to move because their citizens aren't allowed in during a global pandemic. If anything, they might admire our assertive nature rather than us being the stupid Paddies with the sign saying "come on over lads, we're open for business"....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Not good IMO. Will just let even more Americans know we were foolhardy & didn't go with EU recommendations on this + decided to plow our own furrow for whatever reason.

That’s precisely what we did though. You can’t blame the NYT for covering us being a bunch of eegits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

That’s precisely what we did though. You can’t blame the NYT for covering us being a bunch of eegits.

I agree fully, the decisions around travel (and any consequences from them down the road) are on "our" heads (or the govt's heads).

Just not sure if it is a blessing to see it get picked up in the US by such a big media outlet. Irresponsible US readers are informed they can at present come here for a holiday, flout the fairly lax restrictions and likely get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Enjoying a break in Kerry. Happy to report it’s packed with mostly domestic tourists. But did chat with a couple at the hotel bar in from NC and saw a group of Americans turned away from a restaurant after being asked when they got here. They are among us...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Enjoying a break in Kerry. Happy to report it’s packed with mostly domestic tourists. But did chat with a couple at the hotel bar in from NC and saw a group of Americans turned away from a restaurant after being asked when they got here. They are among us...

We should send an email to the States advising them to pack a lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭NSAman

In all honesty, I find the whole thing ridiculous.

I'm Irish. I live in the States. I could easily travel back home as an Irish person. I miss my family. I miss my friends and have always traveled home three to four times a year. I have an elderly mother who doesn't have too much time left on this planet. BUT, seeing as this is a major issue (the virus) I am not going to put her at risk. I speak to her four times a week, although it is not the same, I know I am protecting her.

Anyone who is going to Ireland from the US, for tourism purposes is selfish in the extreme IMHO. It does not matter if you are asymptomatic, the mere fact that you COULD be transmitting this to others in the community is stupid and egotistical to think you do not have it.

Investment is NOT going to suffer if rules are brought in that affect ALL Americans. Ireland is a tax haven for American Companies (we all know that) and they are not going to jump ship. Being afraid of Dumpy incase he asks these companies to come home is NOT going to happen. They despise him as much as most people do.

• Advertisement

To be fair, most of the MAGA types have a massive allergic reaction to the New York Times. They won’t be flooding in as a result of that article lol

Advertisement