Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

I vaguely recall many posters here called it back when Haas announced Rich Energy that it would end in tears and that it might not even make it to the end of the season, were Haas desperate or just incredibly naïve?

I just hope it doesn't put Hass in financial trouble. Seems a very odd decision. Did something similar happen with Arrows in 1999? "t-minus"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

mickdw wrote: »
    The whole rich energy / Haas branding issue reminds me of the eddie Jordan Porsche dispute where Porsche got annoyed with eddies first f1 car, the Jordan 911.
    For anyone who has not heard this, Jordan went to meet Porsche and after telling them that he would drop the name but it would cost his business significant funds to do so with team merchandise, advertising etc all to be revised.
    Eddie hammered out a deal with Porsche while spending about 25 quid getting a couple of new posters printed up to replace the little branding material they had.
    Soon after, a new Porsche was delivered to the Jordan factory for eddies personal use.

f1-silverstone-november-testing-1990-john-watson-tests-the-jordan-911-which-was-later-rena.jpg

^There it is being tested by John Watson at Silverstone in November 1990. He had positive remarks about the car following the test.

And on another note, the team at the time didn't have enough money to paint the car so they polished the carbon fibre to make it look good. And it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,253 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Combined test results from the two days.

6qokdhryney21.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Not very many reviews of it. I'd wonder how many were bought, but alarmingly there's only 11 packs left on Amazon. Can't believe 90 million cans could be almost gone by the 5th race :rolleyes:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

astrofluff wrote: »
    Not very many reviews of it. I'd wonder how many were bought, but alarmingly there's only 11 packs left on Amazon. Can't believe 90 million cans could be almost gone by the 5th race :rolleyes:

That was my personal favourite admission of truth from the recent judgement. They have produced 90 million cans but haven't filled them yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely they have just bought a batch of no name energy drink and got a couple of thousand cans labelled up. Whatever the minimum order is with these companies.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

What actual money have they paid to Haas and where did the money come from because sure as sh1t it was not selling energy drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,674 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see Williams have signed W Series' driver Jamie Chadwick as development driver.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

AMKC wrote: »
    I see Williams have signed W Series' driver Jamie Chadwick as development driver.

I wonder will she be the real deal.

Williams aren't making the best decisions these days. Hope this is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I wonder will she be the real deal.

Williams aren't making the best decisions these days. Hope this is a good one.

cant really make them any slower anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

cant really make them any slower anyway

True. But if they learned anything from signing Kubica it's that you can't buy good publicity with an inspiring story. You need to have a decent car too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Remember when Bottas missed the Australian Grand Prix a few years ago due to a back injury? Susie Wolff was the test driver and they wouldn’t put her in the car for the race, when massa couldn’t race in Hungary 2017 they put Di Resta in the hot seat, makes you wonder if they ever plan on giving her a race seat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

Nothing to say but....damn!

OSI wrote: »
    I don't believe Wolff ever had a Super License.

Thats why they signed Sutil (2015) and Di Resta (2016 - 2017) to be the official reserves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

OSI wrote: »
    I don't believe Wolff ever had a Super License.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Thats why they signed Sutil (2015) and Di Resta (2016 - 2017) to be the official reserves

The race in question was the 2015 race, therefore they had a driver in place but chose not to ultilise them.

The race in question was the 2015 race, therefore they had a driver in place but chose not to ultilise them.

Actually no. They only signed Sutil AFTER Bottas missed Australia. Thats when they seemed to realise neither Wolff or Nasr had the proper license so they signed Sutil to be the reserve from then on, Then when he quit before 2016 they signed Di Resta. Kubica then reserved last year with Ocon reserve this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It's not going to happen but I'd love Ricciardo to win the Monaco GP again this time in the Renault. Maybe in years past a chance but slim to none now.

Would be some slap in the face of Horner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It's not going to happen but I'd love Ricciardo to win the Monaco GP again this time in the Renault. Maybe in years past a chance but slim to none now.

Would be some slap in the face of Horner.

If Max keeps a level head I think he could win

I hope him or LeClerc win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    If Max keeps a level head I think he could win

I hope him or LeClerc win

I'd like to see LeClerc win, and hoping Ricciardo scores good points.

Not a big fan of Max and Horner is my problem. Too much bias as a Ricciardo fan.

Ms

Anyone going to put up a thread for the Monaco GP? I could but it would be very bland. Don't forget that FP1 and FP2 are on today.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

AMKC wrote: »
    Anyone going to put up a thread for the Monaco GP? I could but it would be very bland. Don't forget that FP1 and FP2 are on today.

I just threw one up https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110254660#post110254660

Ms

Because we can all drive a car, Formula One can tend to look like a bunch of over-paid, carefully coiffed, slim-hipped fellows turning a wheel with their wrists and occasionally flexing their ankles. And then poncing around somewhere like Monte Carlo, where this weekend’s Grand Prix is being held, being feted by the fabulously rich.

Totally disagree with the statement above bout F1 drivers being over-paid. F1 drivers actually do loads of training and work very hard to drive them cars both inside and out. Its no easy task. I think most of us here know that do.

A football player in the other hand who gets some stupid 90 million a year or something for running around after a ball for 90 mins. They are over-paid.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

It's not about how hard you work, it's about your value. If a footballer earns hundreds of millions for a club, why shouldn't they get a significant percentage of that? Same for a F1 driver. They get paid a lot because they're the best in the world, and because of the money they help generate, not because of the hours they put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

It's not about how hard you work, it's about your value. If a footballer earns hundreds of millions for a club, why shouldn't they get a significant percentage of that? Same for a F1 driver. They get paid a lot because they're the best in the world, and because of the money they help generate, not because of the hours they put in.

Goddamn free market economics - viva la revolucion!

I love these. This shows the average gap from Pole position over the first 6 races.

OUnu05k.png

Magnussen beating Gasly is unexpected but not suprising given how generally poor he has been.

Other than that just look at how bloody close that midfield is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

pjohnson wrote: »
    I love these. This shows the average gap from Pole position over the first 6 races.

Other than that just look at how bloody close that midfield is!
    And look how far behind the Williams are! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭flazio

These are all qualifying stats though. You don't get any points on a Saturday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement