Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's very cheap. Now it is the basic SE spec which is not that popular, but assuming it isn't a total dog, that's fierce value - and is bad news for us civic drivers who are usually comforted by high prices.

Haha, that was literally exactly what went through my head.

Maybe I'm deluded but I'd like to think my car is worth €4500 or so. It won't take many more popping up at €2k to pull the prices down overall though I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Maybe I'm deluded but I'd like to think my car is worth €4500 or so. It won't take many more popping up at €2k to pull the prices down overall though I'd say.

I was thinking the same, mine having less mileage and slightly higher spec too....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

This looks nice.
    '02 A4 Estate 1.6 petrol
    Test Feb '18
    Low miles & 1 owner
    Asking €1,500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-1-6-low-mileage-estate/15201866

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Maybe I'm deluded but I'd like to think my car is worth €4500 or so.

If you have any plans to sell it in the near future, say this year or so, now's the time. You won't get anywhere near what you reckon it's worth, but you will get decent money.

Sold my E60 back in October for €2,600. Back then there were only a few banger E60s for sale for just about bangernomics money, while mine was very good, far better than bangernomics. 6 months later and there are dozens and dozens of E60s for sale for well under €2k. I would have struggled to get €1,600 for mine

So to cut a long story short, if you think your 10 year old Civic is worth €4.5k, I doubt it. If you don't sell it for about €3k now, it will be only worth €2k in a few months...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

unkel wrote: »
    So to cut a long story short, if you think your 10 year old Civic is worth €4.5k, I doubt it. If you don't sell it for about €3k now, it will be only worth €2k in a few months...

Funny you should mention that , in Feb my Mrs got a beautiful 2007 Honda Civic 1.8I SE Executive 5DR , Full Cow, heated seats, NCT til Nov 18 etc from a garage with 6mths warranty for €3k .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

If I may be so bold lads.

I've gone all hippie and bought a Leaf! So here's my old yoke up on DoneDeal.

Genuinely good little car. Tax is a bit high being 1.7, but she's as reliable as the day is long. Any questions, fire away.

€400 or there abouts.

NjY3MWE3ZDZkMjkzMDMxY2UwN2U3ZGQ1OWZjYjE0ZTjgVNfDdIlnJCn4h_KO9E2qaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MjMxNjQ3OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Soarer wrote: »

Genuinely good little car. Tax is a bit high being 1.7, but she's as reliable as the day is long. Any questions, fire away.

€400 or there abouts.
    Quiet simply the best and worst car ever made. Absolutely nothing outstanding about it, but it will drive forever with even the most basic of servicing. I'll be surprised if that lasts long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If you have any plans to sell it in the near future, say this year or so, now's the time. You won't get anywhere near what you reckon it's worth, but you will get decent money.

Sold my E60 back in October for €2,600. Back then there were only a few banger E60s for sale for just about bangernomics money, while mine was very good, far better than bangernomics. 6 months later and there are dozens and dozens of E60s for sale for well under €2k. I would have struggled to get €1,600 for mine

Yeah i reckon youre right, it does feel like we are on that turning point to be fair.

There are plenty of 07 civics in middle of the road dealers advertised between 5-7k at the moment which made me think you could ask 4500 privately as a starting point. Mine is probably less desirable again being the 1.8 and semi auto.

I done a voluntary early test recently and failed on a few bits so I'm going to get one last 2 year NCT cert on and then either flog it or commit to keeping it until the wheels fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Quazzie wrote: »
    Soarer wrote: »

€400 or there abouts.
    Quiet simply the best and worst car ever made. Absolutely nothing outstanding about it, but it will drive forever with even the most basic of servicing. I'll be surprised if that lasts long.

My missus had one, indestructible. She wanted a new car last year and was afraid to nct in case it passed and her train to buy a new one would be gone. Her's was horrible to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Wouldn't wish this car upon my worst enemy to have - but may be suitable for a first time driver, I'd imagine there isn't a big insurance risk with them?

08 Nissan Tiida
    NCT 01/2018
    Seems clean & the seller is open to any mechanics coming to see it so he must be somewhat confident of it being A1.
    Asking €1,850

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-tida-2008-long-nct-test-2018/14751427

MGM5NDAyM2Y0YjlhMzY4NDBhN2FkOTk3YWQzN2IyNDTqunpVarfzVv4Z8EGDPxZHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTY3ODk0M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement

Something a little different.
    '02 Galant
    Test Nov '17
    Tax Sept '17
    1 owner
    Low miles
    Asking €1,200
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-galant/14617298

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Far worse cars to own than that tiida imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

bear1 wrote: »
    Far worse cars to own than that tiida imo.

True. I would drive it if I were in-between changing cars or so. Could make a cheap runaround for someone!

Nice low mile cruiser
    '02 E200 auto
    Test June '17
    6 weeks tax!
    prob a bit pricey considering the short test.
    Asking €1,750

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-e200-automatic-genuine-low-mileage/15110499

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

W123-80's wrote: »
    Nice low mile cruiser
    '02 E200 auto
    Test June '17
    6 weeks months tax!
    Asking €1,750

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-e200-automatic-genuine-low-mileage/15110499

FYP!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Taxed till the end of June, so 6 weeks is about right, choons. Lovely motor, but I would try and haggle it down a lot. These are probably the most comfortable car (<2l) that bangernomics money can buy. Always liked them. Only 2 months NCT though...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

W123-80's wrote: »
    Nice low mile cruiser
    '02 E200 auto
    Test June '17
    6 weeks tax!
    Asking €1,750

It has a Nokia hands free kit - wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Taxed till the end of June, so 6 weeks is about right, choons. Lovely motor, but I would try and haggle it down a lot. These are probably the most comfortable car (<2l) that bangernomics money can buy. Always liked them. Only 2 months NCT though...

My bad, had the Galant tab open at the same time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I posted a few weeks ago about having picked up an '07 Volvo S40 for bangernomics money. Only had 5 months test on it.

Did a general service, and put four GoodYear tyres on it and decided to chance the NCT. Failed on a rear seat belt buckle.

€5 for the part from Kilcock and drove it back for a free visual, leaving the test centre with a two year Cert valid until mid 2019! A big thank you to Shietpilot for his help.

As I was so chuffed, today I got a stainless steel exhaust systemput on it to really let the 5 cylinder engine warble. Absolutely delighted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Any idea what I could get for my banger 2000 Ford Focus 1.4 petrol. NCTed today till July 2018. Would I get €400-€500 for it? If not I'll probably just run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Any idea what I could get for my banger 2000 Ford Focus 1.4 petrol. NCTed today till July 2018. Would I get €400-€500 for it? If not I'll probably just run it into the ground.

300 to 500 be about right. Its a 1.4 which is a poor engine and very few will bite due to this and age due to insurance and older cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Sold my 2000 Focus (petrol) for 500 euro a couple of days ago if that helps. It had over 170K miles but had NCT and Tax until next March so that obviously helped.

It sold within a couple of hours of going up on DD. I didn't even get a chance to post it here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

96 Honda Prelude
    Its not a great ad with only two pics but looking for 1100 with over half a years tax which is worth 400, NCT til next Feb, and one owner from new means it was likely kept good care of, I think its a bargain. Be great if you could get classic insurance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

300 to 500 be about right. Its a 1.4 which is a poor engine and very few will bite due to this and age due to insurance and older cars.

Actually more people would opt for the hatchback with the 1.4 engine rather than the saloon with the 1.6 engine.

The performance is adequate enough for most peoples needs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Actually more people would opt for the hatchback with the 1.4 engine rather than the saloon with the 1.6 engine.

1.6 hatchback?

KC161 wrote: »
    1.6 hatchback?

What about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

cruizer101 wrote: »
    96 Honda Prelude
    Its not a great ad with only two pics but looking for 1100 with over half a years tax which is worth 400, NCT til next Feb, and one owner from new means it was likely kept good care of, I think its a bargain. Be great if you could get classic insurance on it.

Lovely car, one owner from new. Take the tax into account and he's looking for €650 net.

One owner from new with full years tax would give me a lot of confidence in it. Classic tax as a 2nd car should be no bother as it's over 20 years of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

What about them?

Better than the saloon equivalent or the 1.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

1.4 are very common for blowing seals and burning oil.
    Underpowered also. Rust on the early models are serious also.

• Advertisement

KC161 wrote: »
    Better than the saloon equivalent or the 1.4.

but nowhere near as poular as either. The saloon had higher spec too with all being available in ghia spec only until some point in 2001. A ghia spec hatchback from that era is very rare in this country.

The 1.4 suits most people best and is the easiest to sell due to cheaper running costs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement