Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

1.4 are very common for blowing seals and burning oil.
    Underpowered also. Rust on the early models are serious also.

Early 1.4's in the pre facelift mk1's(the ones with the silver top and the cover over the plugs) is less prone to burning oil than the later facelifts with the blacktop engine but they do still burn a drop for sure.

Rust is actually less common on the earlier models. The facelift is far more prone to rust.

They are underpowered on paper but in everyday driving they are adequate and they don't really feel that underpowered in day to day driving. It's only when.you drive the 1.6(which isn't that powerful either tbh) is when.you notice the difference.

Anyway that doesn't matter to most people. The 1.4 is cheaper to run and the hatchback is a much nicer car and that is why they are far more popular and easier to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,034 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    but nowhere near as poular as either. The saloon had higher spec too with all being available in ghia spec only until some point in 2001. A ghia spec hatchback from that era is very rare in this country.

The 1.4 suits most people best and is the easiest to sell due to cheaper running costs.

The 1.6 Ghia wasn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another cheap Octavia diesel with test asking €1600:

ZTk2MTRjNDBhNDM4MjE2NWFmYzg4NWM4MmMxNzNmZGXeS_xNT4jpZXvC-gFAfx8maHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MTI0OTc3OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-2005-tdi-nct-2018/15040052

• Registered Users Posts: 35,720 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-diesel/15236248

Fiesta diesel
    3.5 million MPG
    NCT MARCH 18

fOR 1K it's a cheap eco car for a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

everlast75 wrote: »

Price and NCT are good, so as long as the car checks out it's a good price for this time of year IMO. The car has been for sale for a good while and has been reduced in price so they may be willing to go down a good bit more.

(It could be me, but are those panel gaps a bit big?)

KC161 wrote: »
    The 1.6 Ghia wasn't bad.

It certainly wasn't but they were hard on fuel and expensive to insure in my experience and this was before they started hitting older cars with higher premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,028 ✭✭✭✭Esel

W123-80's wrote: »
    Something a little different.
    '02 Galant
    Test Nov '17
    Tax Sept '17
    1 owner
    Low miles
    Asking €1,200
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-galant/14617298

I like it when "Tax Sept '17" means until the end of the stated month, like here.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 64,880 ✭✭✭✭unkel

"Eligible for classic insurance"

I have my doubts about that. Car looks rough, hole in the seat. Is it really worth anywhere near the asking price? I like the collection of tax and NCT disks though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's next to impossible to get them on classic insurance now AFAIK.

Very rare to see a 2.0 FTO without the sports package. The lack of a spoiler and alloys gives it novelty value, as does it's Irish history. Seeing that it was taxed for 12 months by the previous owner every year for over a decade inspires confidence
    The seat wouldn't bother me as they're easily fixed, the front end of the car being a different shade of grey would though.

MIVEC is the way to go with these at this stage. If you're gonna be killed on insurance regardless of engine you may as well go for the best one.

unkel wrote: »
    "Eligible for classic insurance"

I have my doubts about that. Car looks rough, hole in the seat. Is it really worth anywhere near the asking price? I like the collection of tax and NCT disks though :)

Look at photo 5. I just spotted 2 different colours.

The tax and nct collection is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭acri

Wasn't this posted last weekend for €500?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That grey FTO looks as rough as a bear's arse. Must have a number of different shades of grey on it and lots of panels look misaligned. Says to me that car seen the wrong side of a ditch or wall at some part of it's life. Lancer style wheels don't inspire it either. Asking price is dreamer territory imo based on all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

bazz26 wrote: »
    That grey FTO looks as rough as a bear's arse. Must have a number of different shades of grey on it and lots of panels look misaligned. Says to me that car seen the wrong side of a ditch or wall at some part of it's life. Lancer style wheels don't inspire it either. Asking price is dreamer territory imo based on all that.

Guess you could call it fifty shades of grey...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭acri

My bad, I thought it was on 'Nomics. But yeah, that grey FTO was on DoneDeal last weekend for €500. Must say, a V6 for five hundred blippers was tempting...

Why would he pay to multiple times for the same ad? A premium ad at that.

i didn't see it for €500 last week though.

The more i looked at it the more i WOULDN'T pay €500 for it, never mind €2250.

It does belong here though as it is only going to fetch below the thread price guide.

It would have been easily worth €500 to be fair.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It would have been easily worth €500 to be fair.

As rough as it is?

I didn't look at the ad properly before i posted it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

jharr100 wrote: »

Are the 1.6 hdi as bad as some would have you believe? If serviced on the button using the correct oil and filters etc will they be good enough to you? Year and the motor tax makes it attractive on the face of it or is it more French junk that should be avoided?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are the 1.6 hdi as bad as some would have you believe? If serviced on the button using the correct oil and filters etc will they be good enough to you? Year and the motor tax makes it attractive on the face of it or is it more French junk that should be avoided?

Yes once looked after and serviced before recommended.

Electronics can be another story.

Like with any motor it could be fine for you and the next one could give any sort of trouble.

My focus has the same engine.

16 trouble free months, lately though it's a different story, inlet manifold seals,injector seals and now the rocker cover gasket needs doing.

I've looked after it religiously.

The car is back to normal but it has cost me hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Yes once looked after and serviced before recommended.

Electronics can be another story.

Like with any motor it could be fine for you and the next one could give any sort of trouble.

Hmm, I appreciate any motor could give you any sort of trouble punisher5112. Its just certain makes and models you could be pretty certain they'd give trouble. Speaking of PSA and electrics I believe I've seen 4 different Citroens/ Peugeots over the past month or thereabouts in front of me and when the driver breaked the indicators/ hazard lights came on instead.

My focus has the same engine.

16 trouble free months, lately though it's a different story, inlet manifold seals,injector seals and now the rocker cover gasket needs doing.

I've looked after it religiously.

The car is back to normal but it has cost me hundreds.

A couple of years down the line is where the proof of the pudding is KC161. Most cars will most likely be good for the first five years anyway generally. Its after that you might see which are peaches and which are lemons.

Hmm, I appreciate any motor could give you any sort of trouble punisher5112. Its just certain makes and models you could be pretty certain they'd give trouble. Speaking of PSA and electrics I believe I've seen 4 different Citroens/ Peugeots over the past month or thereabouts in front of me and when the driver breaked the indicators/ hazard lights came on instead.

A couple of years down the line is where the proof of the pudding is KC161. Most cars will most likely be good for the first five years anyway generally. Its after that you might see which are peaches and which are lemons.

Bought her in January last year, she had 1 previous owner since new, that included them importing it from Newcastle at 10 months old.

My regular indie who has fixed the problems said those particular engines, being PSA, are known for trouble.

The 1.8 is the better engine of that era.

The car now has 117k miles.

i've done 26k in 16 months.

I'll be lucky to still have her by 140k at this rate.

They are just problematic in general with regards to turbos etc even with proper servicing. In saying that proper servicing including regular oil changes and cleaning the oil feed pipe and replacing the banjo bolt does considerably reduce the chances of turbo failure on these.

When left too long sludge builds up and blocks the oil feed to the turbo causing the turbo to fail. When this occurs it's nearly impossible to remove all the sludge from this engine even when the proper cleaning procedures are carried out.

That's why it's important to inspect the oil feed on these engines when servicing imo as any bit of sludge left over in the engine can dislodge and cause another blockage and you are back to square one again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement