Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

divillybit wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-3080/28045639

Nice looking 2wd 3080 for sale....any thoughts on it?
    Would the cab be as prone to rust as a 699?
    For similar money this case 4230 is for sale nearby, its a newer machine but I think the older massey is a better tractor...
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-4230/28107509
    Steer clear of the ab box in that massey they give alot of trouble.you d come across a few of those ab box masseys in good order because they ve been parked up in the back of the garage

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Maybe it’s a reflection of farming on marginal land, or being from Cavan, but shelling out €12k on a tractor that’s not 4wd would be a hard sell to me.
    I suppose as a second handy tractor about a yard maybe, but then it hasn’t a loader so that would lessen its usefulness about a yard too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27590057

Surely for same budget something like that would be more versatile, not knowing much about that model one always needs to look at any machine with eyes open and do your homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

Decent condition crystal for the price, if it were mine I'd change the cab colour though. Looks a decent deal with the loader is included

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/tractor/28141422

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

_Brian wrote: »
    Maybe it’s a reflection of farming on marginal land, or being from Cavan, but shelling out €12k on a tractor that’s not 4wd would be a hard sell to me.
    I suppose as a second handy tractor about a yard maybe, but then it hasn’t a loader so that would lessen its usefulness about a yard too.

Surely for same budget something like that would be more versatile, not knowing much about that model one always needs to look at any machine with eyes open and do your homework.

It all relative. That Ford is value the way tractor prices are at present. However it would not run an adgitator and would struggle with a heavy road load. As well it's max speed is 25km/ hour at a guess both the Case and MF are 30 km boxes. The MF has a shuttle between the Case and Ford the Case has a nicer gear set up and would be better around a yard. The 4wd on the Ford would be invaluable if on wet ground but it would be limited in most farms as a second tractor.

The Ford would struggle lifting bales from newer balers. Ford engines give trouble as they get older. Everything is relative to your need. If I had a small farm and only need one tractor I would pick the Ford. If it was a second tractor for fertlizer spreading or topping I was looking for and had a bigger tractor or loader I pick the Case as with light work it would last 20 years. I probably try to get a CX with a shuttle but it would be that type of tractor.

If I want a tractor that I could put an adgitator on and had a fragmented farm and would be drawing bale or two I be tempted by he MF or something similar

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It all relative. That Ford is value the way tractor prices are at present. However it would not run an adgitator and would struggle with a heavy road load. As well it's max speed is 25km/ hour at a guess both the Case and MF are 30 km boxes. The MF has a shuttle between the Case and Ford the Case has a nicer gear set up and would be better around a yard. The 4wd on the Ford would be invaluable if on wet ground but it would be limited in most farms as a second tractor.

The Ford would struggle lifting bales from newer balers. Ford engines give trouble as they get older. Everything is relative to your need. If I had a small farm and only need one tractor I would pick the Ford. If it was a second tractor for fertlizer spreading or topping I was looking for and had a bigger tractor or loader I pick the Case as with light work it would last 20 years. I probably try to get a CX with a shuttle but it would be that type of tractor.

If I want a tractor that I could put an adgitator on and had a fragmented farm and would be drawing bale a mole or two I be tempted by he MF or something similar

All relative as you say. We run an old nc agitator with our DB996 and it was only 62hp new in 1975. It does a 3 bay tank from one end.
    I have thought any 70-80hp tractor would manage fine for something like agitation duty on your own farm where patience can replace horsepower,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

That Ford probably is value but I think that’s too big a loader for such a small tractor.

The q740 is rated to lift 1.7 ton and recommended for around an 80hp tractor. The 4630 are only about 60hp and I’d say doesn’t weigh much more then 2.5ton. It would be a big struggle to lift bales of silage with that and you’d need at minimum a ton weight block behind it. That loader is more suited to a TL90 or something around that size.

I agree with you about 4wd and a 2wd tractor is not something I’d ever purchase myself, although I do have 2 already in the yard but they’re around a long time now. But there are plenty of lads on dry ground with 4wd tractors and I’d say the 4wd isn’t switched on any more than a handful of times a year. For anyone small scale farming, not out wintering and on even average quality land a 2wd will do 95% of the work that needs to be done.

All relative as you say. We run an old nc agitator with our DB996 and it was only 62hp new in 1975. It does a 3 bay tank from one end.
    I have thought any 70-80hp tractor would manage fine for something like agitation duty on your own farm where patience can replace horsepower,

That's if you had that equipment on a small farm. With the way environmental schemes are going there is often a LESS option. In my case LESS payment covers about 1/3 of my slurry contractor costs. If you have that older smaller equipment ya it would add to the advantage of the Ford.

However the other two are better options as 2nd tractors and the Case is a good option on a small farm as the only tractor where the land is good. Not sure because of its electrics would I have the MF as the only tractor on a farm. However as a second tractor it would have enough power to work a decent adgitator, it could handle a double bale handler. If you were drawing bales it could pull 12-14 bakes on a trailer. If you had a 4wd and a loader you could have your young lad on the MF and you could load him and load yourself and head off him with 20-30 bales between the two loads each time.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We had a 4wd 3080 (inherited from my late Uncle) and it was a hoor for giving trouble with sensors. My brother bypassed most of them and it worked fine for a few years. Great tractor for pulling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Suckler

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Base price wrote: »
    We had a 4wd 3080 (inherited from my late Uncle) and it was a hoor for giving trouble with sensors. My brother bypassed most of them and it worked fine for a few years. Great tractor for pulling.

I remember a neighbour of mine welded a broken sidestep on one without disconnecting the battery, total mess,

• Advertisement

Suckler wrote: »

And he still puts a sh!t seat in it. I cannot understand going to that trouble Todo up a tractor and not buying a basic air seat costing 3-400 euro

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

And he still puts a sh!t seat in it. I cannot understand going to that trouble Todo up a tractor and not buying a basic air seat costing 3-400 euro

No matting in the cab either ,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/same-explorer-80/26912587

Another 80hp Same, €7,500 this time. Was there a shuttle on these?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Maybe the key to it is, the agitator is old as well so may have plenty play in it and therefore wouldn't draw the power.that and an owner with a bit of cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

blue5000 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/same-explorer-80/26912587

Another 80hp Same, €7,500 this time. Was there a shuttle on these?

Mechanical shuttle in them, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

He's some man for the paint. Years ago I saw him painting with wire brush in one hand and spray can in the other. Doubt if he's changed much since

Looks like the steering is off too. One wheel seems to be facing off to the left or maybe it's the angle of the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭White Clover

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    He's some man for the paint. Years ago I saw him painting with wire brush in one hand and spray can in the other. Doubt if he's changed much since

Looks like the steering is off too. One wheel seems to be facing off to the left or maybe it's the angle of the photo

The usual stuff there is mutton dressed as lamb!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1990-case-985xl/28218102
    Tractor with very good tyres and 2 loaders

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭amacca

kevthegaff wrote: »

That's a decent buy for someone if its in good working order imo.

• Advertisement

amacca wrote: »
    That's a decent buy for someone if its in good working order imo.

I agree bucket and grab secondhand are worth 7-900 euro. Good loader on the tractor as well.

No pictures of the inside of tractor a little pet hate if mine. I presume the loader is on a joystick not a valve chest as loader looks fairly modern for the tractor.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

kevthegaff wrote: »

It's gone, just as a matter of interest what was it?

jaginsligo wrote: »
    It's gone, just as a matter of interest what was it?

Case 985 4wd. It had a loader on it a quickie I think. There was a good 4' or 5' bucket and a back loader with a grab on it. Tractor looked very clean and pain looked not to be faded so it may have been in a shed between use. It has 4 good tyres on it. 11.5 k was the asking price. Nice outfit if you had a 40-60 acre drystock farm

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

PoorFarmer wrote: »

Red paint mad its way onto the rear tyres too. I don't know the seller at all, however when someone doesn't bother to put a cover over the tyres when spraying, it would make me think what other short cuts were taken, and what is the paint covering up.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagemachinery-for-sale/fiat-100-90/27999778

Anyone handy with a welder
    It has all it's glass tbf

jaginsligo wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagemachinery-for-sale/fiat-100-90/27999778

Anyone handy with a welder
    It has all it's glass tbf

No pics of the cab mounts......hateful job

No pics of the cab mounts......hateful job

The front of the cab and the top of the bonnet look to be OK in relation to each other, so perhaps the rubber mounts haven't broken up into the cab's "chassis rails" yet....

Somebody weighted this in in our local scrap metal yard.
    Take your "brave pills" and buy this project...:D

ZMijJXw.jpg

Asking €2700, you wouldn't get a spun out 20 TVO for that....

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The front of the cab and the top of the bonnet look to be OK in relation to each other, so perhaps the rubber mounts haven't broken up into the cab's "chassis rails" yet....

Remember doing the ones under cab behind the wheels,steel was like a sieve....nothing even to weld onto

Joys of living beside the sea :puke:

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Somebody weighted this in in our local scrap metal yard.
    Take your "brave pills" and buy this project...:D

ZMijJXw.jpg

Asking €2700, you wouldn't get a spun out 20 TVO for that....

Does it come with the round baler????

Advertisement