Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Welsh Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

Brown drops the rest onto the floor and the “audience” responds with a round of applause? Doesn’t phase him 5-1.

Yes...thought he looked like he was starting to struggle there for a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Didn’t see the earlier frames but Maguire seems to be having an off day to me. Can’t get going at all, bit of bad luck not helping either. Split the reds on the bottom cushion nicely there but the cue ball ended up stuck to the cushion.

Hard to know, brown should have won the frame that maguire won. Mags may be on an off day but i think you have to credit browns play for putting pressure on him and building up the frustration for his opponent which we see time and time again. Outstanding performance from him i think. Just has to finish it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Yeah he really bossed that match in the end. That’s him into the Player’s Championship next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Good to see lads getting the chance when they put the graft in

Came across really well in his interview too, seems like a nice bloke. Lucky to have allen as a daily practice partner. Great point by mcmanus about players serving a proper apprenticeship as amateurs, like it was back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

First blood to Williams here. I get the sense this will move along fairly quickly.

Has Williams been doing the roll up break off all week? Irritating. Maybe he feels the standard of long potting is so high that the standard break off isn’t safe anymore...

Not hanging about alright, not forseeing a midnight finish here, whatever happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Not much in it at the min

This has been a quite stunning break. Dont think many players would have potted the opening red and black. Doesnt look far off a game level here and focus is top notch so far at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I'm reminded of what Robertson said in the BBC tribute a couple of years ago just before he broke the Triple Crown record: 'When Ronnie plays his best, he wins'. I think that's still true.
    It was actually hard to watch how bad he was before Christmas in retrospect.

This frame not a gimme for Ron with the balls being where they are - MJ needs Ronnie to do the "hard work" , and leave 70/80+ 'easy' points in order for him to have a chance... Mark jawing a lot of balls, and if he doesn't get in here, and win this frame; then it's curtains, I feel....

Well, he gets his chance, but he'll do well to catch a framewinning amount from this situation...

The only way this madness will end is if Williams mistakes the brown for a red and pots it.

Match kinda got a bit scrappy after the interval. Not making any odds to ronnie.

Looking forward to Ronnie's response when Andy asks him about attempting to pot the brown over the pocket by knocking the red onto it

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Looking forward to Ronnie's response when Andy asks him about attempting to pot the brown over the pocket by knocking the red onto it

He has done that type of thing before also , recently playing on for snookers in a frame when he needed 7 or 8 snookers. He will expect Jordan to roll over and play dead and kick off with a 3 or 4 frame lead over the Irishman. He might be in for a surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

As a Ronnie fan, I want him to win of course, but I really want him to work for it. I Hope Jordan can put him under all sorts of pressure and not be too phased by the pressure of a ranking final.

Fingers crossed for Jordan, love if he could make a match of it. Ronnie has obviously been putting the work in since xmas, he's looking sharp and focussed, he's 26-2 in frames for the week. If he's ruthless about it, going to be a very tough day for brown, an early frame on the board is critical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

What time does the final start?

• Advertisement

^^^
    Right now! Just broke off..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Brown looks nervy. But Ronnie not having much run of the balls so far. Three in offs and a monster kick in half a frame.

He's got his eye in late on in frame 1 has JB - thanks to Ronnie getting unlucky with in-offs/a kick... And then he misses the pink to seal the deal. Brown was really very poor the first half of the frame , and he can be thankful if he goes on to win it. His long potting has been very mediocre.

Needed 4 chances but got it done well in the end. Might settle him down a bit, was clearly very jittery.

Come on brown
    A win would change his career big time

Fluke by Ronnie

Chance here off what i thought looked a fairly innocuous snooker.

Looks like 3 - 1 to JB at the interval... Who'd a thunk it?

Already won more frames than ronnies 5 previous opponents put together. And thats just by the mid session interval. Dream start. I see they're scheduled to meet again in the players next week, unless brown wins it. Would then face ryan day instead.

• Advertisement

A super start by brown

Advertisement