Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dark side of the ring

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,364 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm listening to the Kevin Sullivan interview on the Jim cornette experience which is very interesting so far. Now it's his side but it's good to get both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm listening to the Kevin Sullivan interview on the Jim cornette experience which is very interesting so far. Now it's his side but it's good to get both sides.

whats the general gist of what he is saying?

Blanco100 wrote: »
    whats the general gist of what he is saying?

He's disputing the the claims of abuse and his timelines are different to Nancy Benoits sister. It's interesting but I've not gotten to if they discuss the whole murder suicide tragedy.

Kevin Sullivan is not a fan of the makers of the dark side of the ring. The only recorded incident of domestic abuse in their relationship was from Nancy and she was charged with it. I've never heard Kevin Sullivan curse but he did in this interview because of the people who believe he was someway involved in the deaths.

He didn't take part in the show because he hadn't been given the green light by Nancy's parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I was surprised when Russo said he created the Brawl for All because of JBL. I remember someone saying it was to capitalise on the popularity of the UFC at the time. Can't for the life of me remember who it was.

As a kid I didn't care much for it, but I paid more attention to it than a WWE show these days. In the unlikely scenario Vince decided to bring back the Brawl for All, the WWE might actually grab my attention for more than 30 seconds at a time.

it might have been crap, but it would be intriguing to see who would win out of current roster. providing Lesnar didnt enter of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm not convinced that Dr. Death would ever have gotten to work a program with Steve Austin even if he hadn't been injured.

A) If fans were supposed to buy into the guy as a tough SOB, then Ken Shamrock would have had a main event program as well.

B) The Brawl for All was not that much of a credibility killer for Bob Holly, JBL and The Godfather, so if Dr. D was really that handy, he would have been able to work his way up the card after coming back from injury, which he didn't do.

C) The roster was stacked with charismatic stars at the time and competition would have been fierce for Dr D.

D) To hear Cornette tell it, Vince and Kevin Dunn dislike southern 'wrasslin' and anything that reminds them of it, of which Dr. D would have been a prime example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

briany wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that Dr. Death would ever have gotten to work a program with Steve Austin even if he hadn't been injured.

A) If fans were supposed to buy into the guy as a tough SOB, then Ken Shamrock would have had a main event program as well.

B) The Brawl for All was not that much of a credibility killer for Bob Holly, JBL and The Godfather, so if Dr. D was really that handy, he would have been able to work his way up the card after coming back from injury, which he didn't do.

C) The roster was stacked with charismatic stars at the time and competition would have been fierce for Dr D.

D) To hear Cornette tell it, Vince and Kevin Dunn dislike southern 'wrasslin' and anything that reminds them of it, of which Dr. D would have been a prime example.

I never really saw Dr Death as a good fit for Stone Cold. They tried the monster heel beating
    him with Kane and not only could they not bring themselves to give Kane a clean win, his win only lasted 24 hours.

The build up to Summerslam 98 was strange as well, with the audience not really wanting to see a bad ass Undertaker as a threat to Stone Cold.

The truth is Stone Cold was at his best when raging against the system and taking on cowardly heels. Dr Death just wouldn't have worked against a peak stone cold in my opinion.

EDIT Just on Bart Gunn winning, perhaps it was just me but even as a kid I was well impressed. I remember trying to convince my brothers who were boxers and who no interest in wrestling that Bart Gunn was for real. Maybe that was just me though but I don't buy Cornette or JR saying there was no where to go with Bart. They just weren't arsed in trying.

I never really saw Dr Death as a good fit for Stone Cold. They tried the monster heel beating
    him with Kane and not only could they not bring themselves to give Kane a clean win, his win only lasted 24 hours.

The build up to Summerslam 98 was strange as well, with the audience not really wanting to see a bad ass Undertaker as a threat to Stone Cold.

The truth is Stone Cold was at his best when raging against the system and taking on cowardly heels. Dr Death just wouldn't have worked against a peak stone cold in my opinion.

EDIT Just on Bart Gunn winning, perhaps it was just me but even as a kid I was well impressed. I remember trying to convince my brothers who were boxers and who no interest in wrestling that Bart Gunn was for real. Maybe that was just me though but I don't buy Cornette or JR saying there was no where to go with Bart. They just weren't arsed in trying.

The best I could have seen would be that Dr. Death got Bossman's spot as enforcer for The Corporation and been this guy who would beat up on and get beaten up by Stone Cold, but as far as a main event run that would have made the company 5 million dollars? Nah.

Bart Gunn seemed like a decent guy from the doc, but he hadn't the charisma to capitalise on the win and go to bigger and better things. I have to say, though, I can get into the Brawl for All as an underdog story where no-one gave Gunn a chance against Doctor Death.

• Advertisement

I feel like the only dr. Death would work with stone cold was jr

Have started to look at Old Raws from 98 and happened to pick the Raw after KOTR as a starting point, which just so happened to have the first brawl for all bout between Mero and Blackman.

What an absolute sh1t show, Blackman looked embarrassed to be involved while Mero look to cop on fairly sharply that he had made a big mistake. Poor fcuker looked shell-shocked. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Back to the real dark of of the ring with the next episode.

Jimmy Snuka and the death of Nancy Argentino.

Back to the real dark of of the ring with the next episode.

Jimmy Snuka and the death of Nancy Argentino.

Oh good because WWE needs a bit of good publicity so here's the episode that Snuka claimed vince had a briefcase entering the police station and didn't leave with it. Good man jimmy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,922 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How episodes in the season left ??

Is Owen Hart the last episode

PTH2009 wrote: »

The Owen hart one is last and there's the snuka one and there's a road warriors one which is meant to be very good. There is a Dr D David Shultz who slapped John stossel backstage at the garden and he sued WWE and apparently there is new interviews with both. There is a herb Abrams one which if you don't know the story you'll love it. How he died was an bizarre as anything. It involves oil and prostitutes. Theres a Dino bravo one which should be good.

10 episodes in the second season.

I’d imagine they will finish with a double episode on Owen Hart to bookend the double episode they opened with.

Snuka next week then the following weeks episode is.....

The Assassination of Dino Bravo.

The Final Bell on Wrestlelamia is pretty good and similar to this series

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMeSnscTzFCmS50NhQalxcVkS8irtwXfK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

The Snuka episode seemed lame.

• Advertisement

It wasn't great really.

It just kind of put everything in one place and the detective came across shady as ****, and vince doesn't come out smelling of roses but that's because snuka mentioned him being at a meeting at the time which considering there is no record of what was said in that meeting raises more questions than answers.

Yeah this episode was the most disappointing so far, either there was nothing new unearthed or they were limited in what could be claimed without ramifications.

Doesn't give me confidence in the upcoming Owen Hart episode.

Can see this whole WWE Covid saga (PC shows, releases, Vince's ego etc.) been a future episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

There was noting new in the Snuka episode if you are a wrestling fan but if you are a casual viewer watching this they may find it quiet shocking.

Hogan is the first thing I remember about wrestling, while Snuka was always a wrestler I knew of and liked. The only thing I'll give this episode is they got across just how big a star Snuka was for a time. I actually had no idea how popular he was in spite of the WWE PR machine always bigging him up.

• Advertisement

Can see this whole WWE Covid saga (PC shows, releases, Vince's ego etc.) been a future episode

No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yeah just watched it. Pretty lacklustre episode unfortunately. Seemed like they didn't have much to really fill the episode and there was certainly no sense of closure or relevation to the whole thing. Which is the sad reality of the whole thing but doesn't make for a great episode as a result.

Love to see an in depth look at the actual relationship between Andy Kaufmann and Jerry Lawler from their interactions back in the 80s. I know it was a work, but when they used him for the movie with Jim Carrey as Kaufmann, its apparent that Carrey took the kayfabe a little too far with Lawler and seemingly played the gimmick of Kaufmann even more seriously than Kaufmann himself.

Apparently it caused serious tensions with Lawler so would love to see this explored

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ThePott

You see a good chunk of that in the Jim Carrey documentary, Jim & Andy on Netflix.
    Decent doc but if you're a Carrey fan it might ruin him a bit for you he comes off as such a pretentious asshat.

The Dino Bravo episode was really interesting and some great talking heads in the Mountie and Jimmy Hart.

• Advertisement

Vice Eyes More ‘Dark Side Of The Ring’ & Plans To Expand Franchise Into New Worlds
    Dark Side of the Ring has become one of Vice TV’s biggest ever series. The youth-skewing cable network is now looking to double-down on the wrestling docuseries as well as expand the franchise into new areas.

Morgan Hertzan, EVP & General Manager, Vice TV told Deadline that the show has become a “mega-hit” for the network.

“We are eagerly looking forward to explore more ways to do more episodes of Dark Side of the Ring and Dark Side of other strands,” he said. “We also are looking at all of our audience data and what people love about that show is, and are using it to inform other shows that we’re greenlighting. The audience is telling us they love this kind of storytelling so we want to keep delivering on that over and over again.”

https://deadline.com/2020/04/vice-dark-side-of-the-ring-expand-franchise-1202912188/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

what other episodes could they film?

vince steroid trial?
    probably an episode with trumps time in wwf

???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Brian Pillman? Dynamite Kid?

montyrebel wrote: »

vince steroid trial?

???

What about this woman?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juana_Barraza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

montyrebel wrote: »

vince steroid trial?

???

Pretty much any wrestler who has died of an OD or drugs related death. Davey Boy, Rick Rude, Mr Perfect, Test et al.

Owen Hart

The Vince Russo/Hulk Hogan thing with Jeff Jarrett.

Jake the Snake.

Definately the Vince steroid trial.

The need to also take an indepth look at why a certain generation of wrestlers are no longer around anymore, alot of guys dropping dead in their late 30s/early 40s due to years of (alleged) steroid abuse.

Chyna also, the life and times. Even detailing her relationship with HHH

Richard Belzer suing Hogan for $5m would be an interesting one to do.

I can't believe I'm going to defend hogan on this but if you watch the footage hogan doesn't tighten the hold that much. It was the fact he dropped like a sack of spuds onto a studio floor that did the damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The Nal wrote: »
    Pretty much any wrestler who has died of an OD or drugs related death. Davey Boy, Rick Rude, Mr Perfect, Test et al.

Owen Hart

The Vince Russo/Hulk Hogan thing with Jeff Jarrett.

Jake the Snake.

The last episode of this current series is about Owen

Discussed this week as part of the David Schultz episode.

This weeks episode was a really interesting one.

Schultz is a really interesting guy.

• Advertisement

Enjoying the series so far and its something positive in these challenging times

Pity the season will be over in a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I'm enjoying this series, but I'm struggling to see what's so "dark" about the Brawl For All and David Schultz.

In regards to other stories they can document. They can cover steroids and sex abuse scandals involving Terry Garvin, Pat Patterson, and Mel Phillips. The steroids stuff would have to be at least a two-parter and they should include footage of Vince trying to intimidate the interviewers. Here's one such example:

I think there's another one where he gets in Bob Costas' face and comes across as such a deranged weirdo, but the WWE blocked it from YouTube:

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/05/10/bob-costas-vince-mcmahon-pro-wrestling-xfl

Rob Feinstein getting caught in a child predator sting operation is another story they could cover:

https://www.facebook.com/AvoidRFVideo/videos/vb.799819180036558/1038217486196725/?type=2&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

Would like to see an episode on the 1992 Ringboy Sex Scandal. Really enjoying the last 2 seasons

The show is starting to lose a bit its shine me, it's main strength now being that it can both sides in front of one camera so to speak.

And what an arsehole John Stossel is "the pain went away eventually.....once I got paid."

And what an arsehole John Stossel is "the pain went away eventually.....once I got paid."

I even wanted to slap him in the head by the end of the programme.

Incidentally, a good simple way to get heat would be for a weaselly heel to claim assault when attacked outside of a match. And he would be technically correct as well. It's been done before, but not lately on a big stage.

briany wrote: »
    I even wanted to slap him in the head by the end of the programme.

Incidentally, a good simple way to get heat would be for a weaselly heel to claim assault when attacked outside of a match. And he would be technically correct as well. It's been done before, but not lately on a big stage.
    It actually crossed my mind when he said that because the line was so over the top. I wonder if he's trying to work himself into another pay day assuming any promotion would be stupid enough to indulge.

This weeks episode will be on Herb Abrams owner of The UWF (The TNA of it's day) not someone I know a huge amount about other than he died in police custody

This weeks episode will be on Herb Abrams owner of The UWF (The TNA of it's day) not someone I know a huge amount about other than he died in police custody

Know the name and that’s it looking forward to learning about the story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Would be an interesting episode but it wouldnt end with a decent answer I think.

I know what it feels like to take a front chancery / guillotine and it Fu*ing sucks. You feeling like tapping the second it's fully on. But to sink that in you have to wrench back and up (standing on your tippy toes helps)

So on one hand there's no way Hogan would sink it in on live TV. Ahead of the biggest match that's gonna make him a megastar.

Then, and I just paused typing and watched it again and you see Hogan "wrench up" - I honestly have no idea what happened.

Did Hogan set it in?
    Was Belzer just selling along and hit his head THEN sued?
    Was Belzer, dare I say it, a bitch and passed out?

Hard to say.

• Advertisement

This will be an amazing episode because the story of his last days is just so pro wrestling it's amazing.

He did die in police custody but it was nothing linked to the police. He died of a heart attack.

Advertisement