Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rammstein, Belfast

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I would love to know the real reason as to why Belfast was the only one cancelled.

As would I. Too much Brexit-related red tape make the logistics of bringing the show across not deemed worth the hassle I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I was of the opinion that it was going to be in Belfast because of Brexit and they chose that a while beforehand in order to allow for it if (at the time) it happened and it would have been easier for them to get into NI rather than ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭gaming_needs90

I was of the opinion that it was going to be in Belfast because of Brexit and they chose that a while beforehand in order to allow for it if (at the time) it happened and it would have been easier for them to get into NI rather than ROI.

Except its not at all easier to get into NI, which we found out at the end of the deal.

The best thing would be for a Dublin gig before the UK dates as that would mean just one load of checks going into the UK. I don't think this would work either come to think of it as these heavy trucks would need to pass through the UK mainland. God, this has ramifications for a whole host of big shows in the years to come >:(

I wonder would it be worth starting a petition for a Republic gig? :o I imagine they have thought of this possibility and decided against it :(

EDIT:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I wonder would it be worth starting a petition for a Republic gig? :o I imagine they have thought of this possibility and decided against it :(

I expect this is the case. Ferrying that stage et al across water has a presumed cost of x. In the UK they have three or four shows to offset that cost. Here it would be only the one.

Don't get me wrong, I would completely settle for trimmed down show, even a completely stripped down show. But money is the bottom line of everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I expect this is the case. Ferrying that stage et al across water has a presumed cost of x. In the UK they have three or four shows to offset that cost. Here it would be only the one.

Don't get me wrong, I would completely settle for trimmed down show, even a completely stripped down show. But money is the bottom line of everything.

Yeah, lugging that lot doesn't come cheap.
    50 tons of equipment, 60 trucks: Rammstein's tour of superlatives

Next, Rammstein will go to Denmark. Copenhagen awaits the boys on Wednesday (June 19) who will travel through Europe with a superlative stage production. The band travels across the continent with two identical stages. During the show in one city, the other stage is set up at the next venue.

"It is one of the biggest stages that are currently on the way", the band is quoted on the Facebook page "Rammstein Belgium". It is 24 meters wide, 15 meters high and impresses with its pure steel construction. The other numbers are tough too.

400 people work on setting up the stage every day. 100 loudspeaker boxes are hung up. 50 tons of equipment are hoisted on 120 motors for each concert. The music system is an impressive 380,000 watts. Rammstein could still be heard ten kilometers away in Dresden.

For each concert, 60 trucks are required, which alone transport the power plants on board. "That's two megawatt units that pull through around 1000 liters of diesel per show." These are needed so that the electricity in the respective city does not go out during the Rammstein concerts.

"Most productions today look like television studios. Even the rock concerts. Ice cold. That's how it works. But not at Rammstein," they say. And 30,000 to 50,000 people experience this gigantic production every time. Almost one million fans are expected at the 30 concerts on their stadium tour.

Rammstein don't do stripped down shows.

The only way you'll get a stripped down Rammstein gig is if you're in Tills house and he starts singing in the shower :pac:

Rammstein don't do stripped down shows.

The only way you'll get a stripped down Rammstein gig is if you're in Tills house and he starts singing in the shower :pac:

Well I missed Lindemann when they played London, so I'd gladly accept

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Maybe they have a Dublin show booked and the reason they couldn't move the Belfast tickets over was because of the location being a stadium e.g. RDS or Aviva?

Im just clutching at straws here btw, Ive never seen them live before and 100% regret not getting tickets for the 3Arena show a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I would love to know the real reason as to why Belfast was the only one cancelled.

Poor ticket sales.
    The concert should have been in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Poor ticket sales.

Can't say I disagree with that!

Just received the Ticketmaster email. Do we get all the fees refunded too?

Just received the Ticketmaster email. Do we get all the fees refunded too?

Unlikely

Unlikely

That's ridiculous, how is that legal? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,247 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

o1s1n wrote: »

It should be quite simple. The service fees paid are now paid by the actual company holding the event as they are cancelling.

If I cancel for whatever reason, take the fees.

• Advertisement

Ticketmaster only changed their terms last June or July so any tickets bought before then will be a full refund.
    After that they may hold onto the fees.

Eventim do not refund fees.

That's true. The email EventIM sent out clearly states that they will refund the face value of the tickets therefore fees won't be refunded which IMO is an absolute crock of sh!te.

It was all a scam to get 15 quid out of everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Poor ticket sales.

Was it not mostly sold out?

You think 2 hours down the road to a more expensive city would have made a big difference?

bennyl10 wrote: »

You think 2 hours down the road to a more expensive city would have made a big difference?

Personally I've no idea of the ticket sales, and I do know about a dozen people that weren't going to attend because it was in another city.

I appreciate it's not that big of an inconvenience and was prepared to make an event of it. But many are spoiled by living in the capital/biggest city and are used to getting home to their own bed after a gig and not having to miss work.

Others had the more reasonable arguement that the tickets were already very expensive, and that costs quickly escalate by way of travel/babysitter/hotel/airbnb/eating out etc, turning your €120 ticket into a great deal more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

While I wasn't going, there would be a difference for people travelling to a gig in Dublin over Belfast. Dublin is far easier to get to from the other main population centres on the island, may not necessitate extra days off work (not including this as being a Saturday). Let alone change of currency just to have spending money, so be less casual attendees from further south.

Yes, of course it would make a huge difference.
    Dublin is one of the biggest markets for concerts in Europe, Belfast is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Still pretty bummed about this today :-(

This is without a doubt the single worst consequence of covid.

Still pretty bummed about this today :-(

This is without a doubt the single worst consequence of covid.

I feel like this is only the beginning.
    Wait until we have to chase our refunds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

This is the band's way of forcing their Irish fans to become die Ausländer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just got my refund there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 zompea

Spent quite a few minutes wondering what the random Sterling refund was in my Revolut. Was sad to realise this was it.

No sign of my refund yet.
    Probably nothing to worry about 😑

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

Me neither. They say up to 28 days, and are probably doing it in batches

I've cancelled the credit card they were purchased with, so that's gonna be a 'chase the bank' job I think. Bleh.

• Advertisement

How many of ye bought through EventIM?

I've cancelled the credit card they were purchased with, so that's gonna be a 'chase the bank' job I think. Bleh.

Mine arrived this morning.
    I bought them with credit card but the refund is in my current account.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Yes, of course it would make a huge difference.
    Dublin is one of the biggest markets for concerts in Europe, Belfast is not.

Really? Strange its skipped by a massive percentage of bands on European tours then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Money goes to the account not the card, you'll be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Really? Strange its skipped by a massive percentage of bands on European tours then?

Small tours can pass due to the cost if crossing the sea, but the big ones are lucrative for bands here .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Like who got example? I know the odd one does on the odd tour but a massive percentage? Like 70%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

Got mine this morning.

Nice to have my credit card down to zero through a refund, but this is the concert I was most looking forward to so...bleh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Small tours can pass due to the cost if crossing the sea, but the big ones are lucrative for bands here .

aside from crossing costs, venue costs are significantly higher in ROI compared to europe, I happy to be corrected, but I do not believe and irish venue generates more revenue for a band over a uk one, travel costs aside

Hoboo wrote: »
    Like who got example? I know the odd one does on the odd tour but a massive percentage? Like 70%?

quick google for 2019 - good charlotte/ new order for example

• Advertisement

aside from crossing costs, venue costs are significantly higher in ROI compared to europe, I happy to be corrected, but I do not believe and irish venue generates more revenue for a band over a uk one, travel costs aside

The band would be paid by their management but both the management, and the local promoter need to distribute the extra haulage costs against what is usually one date on this island, also the higher tax/insurance/labour costs as well as the day lost before/after as a result of the extra travel.
    So both need to determine a minimum 'break even' return and then decide if there is sufficient demand/fan support for said act, to ensure they get it.

That's why big shows like ac/DC, rolling stones and non Jovi are guaranteed but more niche acts like Rammstein, Lindemann, Marilyn Manson, nine inch nails are not.

The band would be paid by their management but both the management, and the local promoter need to distribute the extra haulage costs against what is usually one date on this island, also the higher tax/insurance/labour costs as well as the day lost before/after as a result of the extra travel.
    So both need to determine a minimum 'break even' return and then decide if there is sufficient demand/fan support for said act, to ensure they get it.

That's why big shows like ac/DC, rolling stones and non Jovi are guaranteed but more niche acts like Rammstein, Lindemann, Marilyn Manson, nine inch nails are not.

I guess maybe to clarify, fixed costs are spread over multiple venue shows in UK, they are not here

I guess maybe to clarify, fixed costs are spread over multiple venue shows in UK, they are not here

I definitely think that's the biggest factor.

Another factor is record sales are gone and playing a town no longer causes a sales boost , just .00000020 cent a stream :)

Hoboo wrote: »
    Money goes to the account not the card, you'll be fine

Good call, it arrived today.

Another factor is record sales are gone and playing a town no longer causes a sales boost , just .00000020 cent a stream :)

Most bands are actually touring more (pre covid) and it's because there is no money for them anymore in album sales, whereas they get much more from touring.
    Rammstein were doing alot of touring even before the latest album was released.

Some bands are even intentionally 'phoning it in' in the studio to meet their record contract obligations.

• Advertisement

there is no money for them anymore in album sales, whereas they get much more from touring.

I often think how lucky bands like Rammstein, Metallica etc. are that they began when album sales were actually a thing as opposed to a band starting out today and trying to make it.

I know both have always toured but it was always to promote the album sales as well as making a living whereas now it's a source of income in and of itself.

I often think how lucky bands like Rammstein, Metallica etc. are that they began when album sales were actually a thing as opposed to a band starting out today and trying to make it.

I know both have always toured but it was always to promote the album sales as well as making a living whereas now it's a source of income in and of itself.

the days of rockstar exciting biographies will end soon

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

the days of rockstar exciting biographies will end soon

I wouldn't miss hearing about the cliched nonsense of rockstars pissing on groupies or smashing up hotel rooms or any of that done to death crap.

I would think both are big enough to have not suffered too much fall out but Rammstein were especially lucky getting LIFAD out before the arse fell out of the record selling industry, and didn't release another album until the lay of the land allowed them to dictate the terms etc.

I would think both are big enough to have not suffered too much fall out but Rammstein were especially lucky getting LIFAD out before the arse fell out of the record selling industry, and didn't release another album until the lay of the land allowed them to dictate the terms etc.

Exactly my point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement