Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vintage 2FM Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

andy1249 wrote: »
    Long shot but does anyone remember the two instrumental tunes they used to play right before programming started for the day?
    If so, does anyone know what they were called?

One of them sounded like a great time at some mexican festival.

I contacted Declan Meehan on twitter regarding your query. Liam Quigley replied as follows: It was "Breezin" (title track) and "Soulful Strut" from the album "Livin inside your love" both by George Benson. Robbie Irwin once told me why but I forget.

So, there you go :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭andy1249

I contacted Declan Meehan on twitter regarding your query. Liam Quigley replied as follows: It was "Breezin" (title track) and "Soulful Strut" from the album "Livin inside your love" both by George Benson. Robbie Irwin once told me why but I forget.

So, there you go :cool:

Managed to get the George Benson tracks, thanks for that , but neither cover the "Mexican festival" type track , it was usually one of the George Benson tunes along with this one , which as far as I recall was acoustic with a lot of hooping and hollering.

Anyone know what that one was called ?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Different times. 2FM ruled the radio dial up to the late 90s.

It's kind of hard to believe now that there was a Country and Irish show with Alan Corcoran (Fr. Brian D'arcy with the gig guide) up until early 2000!!

Dragging up an old thread but thanks for sharing this. Fondly remember my summer hols in co kerry at 10 or 11 years old up late listening to 2fm on the weekends. Wanted to verify Peter Collins was the presenter and im correct. His voice is very distinctive...happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Dragging up an old thread but thanks for sharing this. Fondly remember my summer hols in co kerry at 10 or 11 years old up late listening to 2fm on the weekends. Wanted to verify Peter Collins was the presenter and im correct. His voice is very distinctive...happy days!

Not sure but I think Peter might be the father of the SPIN 1038 presenter of the same name? Could be wrong though!

IIRC Gerry Wilson would be on after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Peter Collins and Andy Ruane - after they left 2FM in the mid-late 90s, though with Peter still in RTE TV sport and Andy setting up and owning numerous independent TV productions, they never were heard on the radio again.

Peter played some good stuff at the weekends on 2FM...around the early - mid 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Peter also co-presented “the Beatbox” with Simon Young for a while, before Ian Dempsey took that over if I recall.

I think his first noticeable foray into Sport presenting was when RTE started showing live F1 and he was main commentator. I vaguely remember reading that Peter himself had a large hand in helping RTE secure those rights at the time.

I think Peter Collins started out as part of the "New voices" line up as part of Maxi's weekend breakfast show, around 1987.

Then on Saturday nights doing "12's on 2" (a show that just played 12" singles)

Also presented The Weekend breakfast with Teresa Lowe around 1989-1990.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Grant Stevens

I never see or hear anyone mention the John Power days, despite the dance music revolution he lead across Ireland in the late 90s/ early 2000s. Sadly it was before the YouTube/ social media  days so not a lot was recorded....although this in itself is a good thing in other ways! I just never hear him being mentioned on here. I am aware he has moved away in a different direction entirely but thought it was worth mentioning his contribution to the dance scene in Ireland. The 6:2:6 series with Springer & crew was awesome, still by today's standards. 
    Some footage here for anyone who can remember this day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

agreed about john power. i remember the night his show started. he took a bit of time to get used to as we had micky mac who himself was brilliant but it was worth it as john power really came into his own.
    things like the sessions tour and other live stuff were brilliant. all a distant memory now though.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

agreed about john power. i remember the night his show started. he took a bit of time to get used to as we had micky mac who himself was brilliant but it was worth it as john power really came into his own.
    things like the sessions tour and other live stuff were brilliant. all a distant memory now though.

John P had been on 2FM for a half a year or so, before micky mac left 2FM for Lyric FM.

great times though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

John P had been on 2FM for a half a year or so, before micky mac left 2FM for Lyric FM.

great times though

i was sure the first time i heard him was when he took over from micky mac after he finished his show. perhapse i did hear him before that but have forgotten (which wouldn't surprise me) it's nearly 20 years ago now!

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Grant Stevens

Ah Micky Mac, sounded fantastic in the driver's seat of a dance show! Really changed things for dance music in Ireland in a national sense. I think JP really did come into his own after a while and totally owned it too. I was a young presenter on a pirate at that time and I have to admit JP was the guy you wanted to sound like back then. He was flawless. Pity he's not involved with radio these days but I'm sure he had his reasons for moving on.

Not much out there to remind us of these times.....and yes, hard to believe it's 20 years ago :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Ah the Beatbox, always on after mass :p .on tv and radio symmeltaniously, the technology!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Does anyone have any 2FM schedules from the first half of the noughties? Or where could I find them?

Hi guys

Topics like this come up every so often, and generate some really interesting/ nostalgic material. So rather than have multiple threads, I'm merging these threads into a single thread for people to consult and discuss.

atnm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Ah the Beatbox, always on after mass :p .on tv and radio symmeltaniously, the technology!

And the combo of analogue terrestrial TV and FM radio made it possible to watch it on TV while listening to it in glorious stereo throughout the house without delay.

i was sure the first time i heard him was when he took over from micky mac after he finished his show. perhapse i did hear him before that but have forgotten (which wouldn't surprise me) it's nearly 20 years ago now!

I have Micky Macs final 2FM show on tape (May 1999). It features John on the show and refers to him already being on the schedule.

Micky Mac did 8 to 10 and John Power did 10 to midnight for this period.
    When Micky left, John did 8 to midnight.

This is when 2FM increased their dance output and also had some dance shows on Friday nights with Damien McCaul / Bob Conway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 VCR repair man

Remember that era of radio 2 well

Great stuff..wide variety mix of music and adverts !

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

• Advertisement

what a great schedule from Monday, May 29th 1989

What show did Arthur Murphy, whose death was announced today, present on Radio 2 in the early days?

What show did Arthur Murphy, whose death was announced today, present on Radio 2 in the early days?

I remember him doing a country/Irish show from 6-8 on Saturday evenings in 1979.

I remember him doing a country/Irish show from 6-8 on Saturday evenings in 1979.

I thought Paschal Mooney did that show "Keep it Country"? Or was his show during the week?

I thought Paschal Mooney did that show "Keep it Country"? Or was his show during the week?

Yes, his show was during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 apollo 1

andy1249 wrote: »
    Long shot but does anyone remember the two instrumental tunes they used to play right before programming started for the day?
    If so, does anyone know what they were called?

One of them sounded like a great time at some mexican festival.
    Hi Andy,

Before RTE Radio 2 began transmission, they played 2 instrumental tracks, the first was by George Benson, the track was called "Soulful Strut" from the album "Livin inside your love" and this segued into a track called "Time of the Season" by Gap Mangione from the album "Suite Lady". FYI Gap Mangione had a younger brother called Chuck who was also an excellent musician.

Other bits of trivia relating to sig music
    Dave fanning used "Another girl, Another planet" by the Only Ones
    Gay radio sig was "Tico Tune" by Manuel and the music of the Mountains
    Mike Murphy's used "We all remember Wes" by George Benson but I edited out the opening intro so that it came in on the melody...very easy to edit 1/4in tape at 15ips.

Hope this info helps
    G

I thought Fanning always used Fleetwood Mac 'Oh well' on his Radio 2 rock show?

I thought Fanning always used Fleetwood Mac 'Oh well' on his Radio 2 rock show?

Only from 1981 or thereabouts. When Radio 2 started in 1979 it was Another Girl, Another Planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭bureau2009

John Bowman is the longest serving presenter on RTE Radio. You could say he is semi-retired. However, I heard him do a very good analysis piece on Northern Ireland recently when the archives from 30 years ago were released. And I image he will pop up on the General Election results.

Brendan Balfe goes back a long way also. Now retired, he did a charming show very recently on Lyric - "Gaybo and me" featuring archive interviews with Gaybo.

SBB has already been mentioned.

And nice to occasionally hear Jim Sherwin do voiceovers.

But with some of the long standing voices we still hear on RTE Radio it's a case of an inverse relationship between their "talent" and the length of their careers........:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Yes, his show was during the week.

I thought it was late Sunday evenings?

Alan Corcoran took over I think when Pascal became a Senator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Jank1

Does anyone have any 2FM schedules from the first half of the noughties? Or where could I find them?

2001: 6am Damien Farrelly, 7am Damien McCaul, 9am Gerry Ryan, 12pm Larry Gogan, 2pm Gareth O'Callaghan, 5pm Tony Fenton, 7pm Dusty Rhodes, 9pm Dave Fanning, 11pm Rick O'Shea Midnight Ruth Scott. Saturday 7am Michael Cahill, 11am Best of G Ryan, 12pm The Saturday Show with Will Leahy, 3pm Adian Leonard, 6pm -7am Dance music with Mark McCabe, Mr Spring, John Power, Boy George. Sunday 7am Michael Cahill, 11am The Chart show, 12noon Ireland's Biggest Jukebox with Simon Young, 3pm Adian Leonard, 6pm Dusty Rhodes, 8pm Dave Fanning, 11pm John Clarke

Clip of Gerry Ryan's nightly music show "The Nightshift" in 1987 on Radio 2.

I did not know his show was called "The Nightshift" during this 1987-1988 period.
    I always thought the show was called "Lights Out" right up until he moved to 9am to 12 noon in 1988.

https://fanningsessions.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/gerry-ryan-the-nightshift-1987/

It must have been the early 90s, but I remember just after 12 midnight there a sort of comedy sketch for around 5 minutes. Can’t remember was it a man impersonating a woman or just a man, or what they even talked about!

I just remember thinking as it came on why I wasn’t asleep because I had school the next day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭RINO87

It must have been the early 90s, but I remember just after 12 midnight there a sort of comedy sketch for around 5 minutes. Can’t remember was it a man impersonating a woman or just a man, or what they even talked about!

I just remember thinking as it came on why I wasn’t asleep because I had school the next day!

Amelia go lightly on Maloney after Midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭its_steve116

RINO87 wrote: »

...whom I believe was Fiona Looney.

• Advertisement

Clip of Gerry Ryan's nightly music show "The Nightshift" in 1987 on Radio 2.

I did not know his show was called "The Nightshift" during this 1987-1988 period.
    I always thought the show was called "Lights Out" right up until he moved to 9am to 12 noon in 1988.

https://fanningsessions.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/gerry-ryan-the-nightshift-1987/

Lights out, awe haw, blast blast blast- wasn’t that the theme tune? Yes a surprise to me also - it was before Mark Cagney”s Night train “Night train...with Cagney”
    Then again while I listened to it I always just assumed the jingle was the name of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭RINO87

Snippet of Amelia here. I was the same as the poster earlier, if you heard this, you were up waaay too late! My older sister used to listen every evening, and I'm pretty sure there are tapes full of this somewhere in my ma's house.

That video is quite interesting - The Network 2 (I think its from before the "N2" rebrand) ident/video at the start is quite advanced for its time and looks pretty impressive. It shows all the reasons why people used to actually watch that station; Sport, Music, Movies and American imports. The current RTE 2 is a pale shadow of that time.

Yes that’s it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

According to Wikipedia, she was called Emilia Golightly!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 B!gD0g543

Anybody remember John Kenny's rock/metal show on 2FM?

Used to broadcast on a Sunday night around 1997/8, using 'Paranoid' and 'Whole Lotta Rosie' as jingles/intros.

Found the webpage on 2FM's old website via archive.org:-

http://web.archive.org/web/19981205155546/http://www.2fm.ie/

I found a shoebox of old cassettes the other day with parts of his show that I'd taped. Much better than 'The Battle Axe' - played really heavy stuff too (Slayer, Deicide, etc.)

I will always remember "Paranoid" at the intro. That was simply one of the greatest music shows in my lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Snippet of Amelia here. I was the same as the poster earlier, if you heard this, you were up waaay too late!

I only discovered around 1995 that Amelia’s inserts were repeated just before the end of the show at 2AM. Quite why this upset me so much, I shall never know :pac:

RTE Radio weekday and weekend schedules from July 1980

RTE radio weekday radio schedule from Aug 1983

RTE radio weekday schedule from Sept 1986

RTE 2FM radio weekday and weekend schedule from Sept 1989

RTE 2FM radio weekday and weekend schedule from Aug 1998

RTE 2FM radio weekday and weekend schedule from Aug 2001

RTE Radio 1 / Lyric / R Na G (Incl Today FM!!!) radio weekday schedule from Aug 2001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

What was the name of the track that Dave Fanning used for the opening of his show in the late 80s/early 90s?

Radio sounded good in summer 2001, Atlantic 252 was on it's last lap but we didn't know it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement