Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage 2FM Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Tim Reilly

Here are the 2fm schedules from the 00s when the station really lost the plot and had a foolish reshuffle every year, 2002 6am Ryan Tubridy, 9am Gerry Ryan, 12pm Larry Gogan, 2pm Gareth O Callaghan, 5pm Tony Fenton, 7pm Dave Fanning, 8pm Dusty Rhodes, 9pm Rick O Shea, 11pm Ruth Scott. Summer 2003 6am Ryan Tubridy, 9am Gerry Ryan, 12pm Larry Gogan, 2pm Gareth O Callaghan, 6pm Dave Fanning, 7,30pm Rick O Shea, 10pm Jenny Huston 12am Cormac Battle. Autumn 2003 6am Shane O Donohue, 7am Ryan Tubridy, 9am Gerry Ryan, 12pm Gareth O Callaghan, 2pm Michael Cahill, 5pm The Golden Hour with Larry Gogan 6pm Dave Fanning, 7.30pm Newsbeat 8pm Rick O Shea 10pm Jenny Huston 12am Cormac Battle, 2004 Dan Hegarty took over midnight on weekdays and Cormac Battle moved to sundays. Spring 2005 6am Rick and Ruth, 9am Gerry Ryan, 12 Damien Farrelly, 2pm Larry Gogan 4pm Gareth O Callaghan, 6pm Dave Fanning, 7.30pm Newsbeat 8pm Nikki Hayes 10pm Jenny Huston, 12am Dan Hegarty. Autumn 2005 6am Dave Redmond 7am Marty Whelan, 9am Gerry Ryan, 12pm Damien Farrelly,2pm Larry Gogan 4pm Ruth Scott, 6pm Dave Fanning, 7.30pm Newsbeat 8pm Nikki Hayes, 10pm Rick O Shea, 12am Dan Hegarty, Autumn 2006 6am Orla Rapple 7am Marty Whelan, 9am Gerry Ryan, 12pm Nikki Hayes 2pm Larry Gogan 4pm Ruth Scott, 6pm Rick O Shea 9pm Damien Farrelly 12 Dan Hegerty. 2007 6am Colm and Jim jim, 9am Gerry Ryan, 12pm Nikki Hayes, 2pm Rick O Shea 5pm Will leahy, 7pm Ruth Scott 9.30pm Damien Farrelly 12am Dan Hegarty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

RTE 2FM is 37 years old today. Doubt Dan and the kids will mark this in any way....

Just Dave Fanning and Larry Gogan just about remain on the 2FM schedule!

Some others that were involved on the first day are still in RTE, or back in RTE, like Ronan Collins, Marty Whelan, Marian Richardson, Michael McNamara, Robbie Irwin, Aine Hensey....Any others??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Greenman wrote: »
    Theres a woman I loved listening to, where is she now?

I think Mike Murphy was on between 7:30 and 9? with his rotten records. "Yowza yowza yowza"

Running home from school and then Harbour Hotel it was a must for me with Mrs Doyle and Gabriel, then it was straight in to watch Crown Court with my mug of coffee and cheese on toast with onions.

Loved Harbour Hotel as a lad which nurtured my love for radio plays and soaps which I still listen to on Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra. smile.png

Found this on the RTE site " happy memories" https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2067/089.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

RTE 2FM is 37 years old today. Doubt Dan and the kids will mark this in any way....

Just Dave Fanning and Larry Gogan just about remain on the 2FM schedule!

Some others that were involved on the first day are still in RTE, or back in RTE, like Ronan Collins, Marty Whelan, Marian Richardson, Michael McNamara, Robbie Irwin, Aine Hensey....Any others??

I remember for their 15th birthday they really made a big deal of it. They did an all day simulcast with RTE2 (or was it Network 2), all the shows were live on the telly and the radio. Quite a novelty at the time. The only current presenter I ever hear refer to the history or significant anniversaries is Will Leahy. And he's hardly on the air now either.

The mid 1990's were 2FM's golden age imo. They had a great lineup then. And now it's 37 years old. God I feel old now...

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I remember for their 15th birthday they really made a big deal of it. They did an all day simulcast with RTE2 (or was it Network 2), all the shows were live on the telly and the radio. Quite a novelty at the time. The only current presenter I ever hear refer to the history or significant anniversaries is Will Leahy. And he's hardly on the air now either.

The mid 1990's were 2FM's golden age imo. They had a great lineup then. And now it's 37 years old. God I feel old now...

Correct it was the Golden Age of 2FM.
    Yes, they made a big fuss in 1994. I have these 3 hours on video and features Ian, Gerry and Larry doing separate shows from the radio studio - all the other presenters join in too! Different times indeed.
    I must upload it to You Tube someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

I guess Colm can't really Complain as he has earned an odd 2 million from the tax payer over the last 9 years but he is a giant of radio but sadly 2fm has stained his career

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I guess Colm can't really Complain as he has earned an odd 2 million from the tax payer over the last 9 years but he is a giant of radio but sadly 2fm has stained his career

Colm Hayes is one of the worst people in Irish radio. If anything he's tainted 2FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He's actually leaving RTE and working on off air projects by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I remember in the early years of the Gerry Ryan show Colm used to do some sketches with Gerry - Dr Kalagari and the 3 old men in the pub were two regular sketches he contributed to. He may have been presenting the midday to 2PM show at that stage (89/90ish)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Maybe he will team up with Jim Jim again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

liam7831 wrote: »
    Maybe he will team up with Jim Jim again!

They stopped talking after Jim Jim was dropped from 2FM from what I remember reading before...think when Jim Jim saw Colm's salaray compared to his, he was not too happy

Maybe he could replace Yates on NT Breakfast if getting back wit JJ ain't a runner ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He's actually leaving RTE and working on off air projects by the sounds of it.

Off Air......best place for him :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

thejuggler wrote: »
    I remember in the early years of the Gerry Ryan show Colm used to do some sketches with Gerry - Dr Kalagari and the 3 old men in the pub were two regular sketches he contributed to. He may have been presenting the midday to 2PM show at that stage (89/90ish)

Ha Ha, I used have a recording on a cassette tape of a sketch from the Gerry Ryan Show days when Dr. Kalagari passed out with good ole Gerry calling out his name repeatedly: Dr Kalagari? Dr Kalagari? and the unique sounds from the computer sounding contraption would eventually fade away into the background of an early Kylie Minogue hit "Je Ne Sais Pas Pourqoui". Gerry Ryan always seemed to be in his element when acting in various character roles in sketches on Radio/TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Was gobsmacked to see his reported salary. I never listened to him much. Very average, boring often, never bothered himself too much which is why I'm amazed at how much he was earning from the state coffers

Maybe he could replace Yates on NT Breakfast if getting back wit JJ ain't a runner ?

Shane Coleman(political editor, NewsTalk), Collette Fitzpatrick(TV3), Paul Williams(Independent News+Media) and Alan Quinlan (ex-Irish Rugby player) are to anchor the new Breakfast Show on NewsTalk 106-108 from Monday 5th of September. (Business Editor Vincent Wall will continue his successful 6:30am Breakfast Business 30minute slot) As far as I know, there will only be two co-presenters in the main 7:00-9:00am slot on a given show which is a similar arrangement to Morning Ireland presentation on RTÉ Radio 1. The Pat Kenny Show will then commence at the earlier time of 9:00am which will be followed from 12:00-2:00pm Lunchtime with George Hook. Moncrieff takes over in the 2:00-4:00pm slot and then a new show called: Drive with Sarah McInerney (The Sunday Times political correspondent) and Chris O'Donoghue from 4:00pm-7:00pm and from 6:30pm the Off The Ball team will bring regular sports issues in advance of their show.

http://entertainment.ie/trending/news/Newstalk-have-made-massive-changes-to-their-schedule-today/382489.htm

squonk wrote: »
    No, it wasn't that late. I'm guessing it was maybe between 5:30 and 7:30 when I heard him. Come to think of it, I'm guessing it was when I was in first year of secondary i.e. late 87-first half of 88. It was over the winter months anyway as it was getting dark. Reckon I'd finished the homework and was just sorting books for the following day so, come to think of it, probably around 6:30-8 perhaps.

If it was Monday to Friday early evenings, maybe Colm Hayes had filled in or had a short stint presenting Drivetime between 4:30-7:00pm time slot although they experimented with various start/finish times with the Drivetime slot. After 7:00pm on weeknights you would have had the 2FM Hotline (with the Hotline Hitlist published nightly in the Evening Herald) which was presented by Barry Lang or later Tony Fenton and from 8:00pm it was usually Dave Fanning if I recall correct?

Shane Coleman(political editor, NewsTalk), Collette Fitzpatrick(TV3), Paul Williams(Independent News+Media) and Alan Quinlan (ex-Irish Rugby player) are to anchor the new Breakfast Show on NewsTalk 106-108 from Monday 5th of September. (Business Editor Vincent Wall will continue his successful 6:30am Breakfast Business 30minute slot) As far as I know, there will only be two co-presenters in the main 7:00-9:00am slot on a given show which is a similar arrangement to Morning Ireland presentation on RTÉ Radio 1. The Pat Kenny Show will then commence at the earlier time of 9:00am which will be followed from 12:00-2:00pm Lunchtime with George Hook. Moncrieff takes over in the 2:00-4:00pm slot and then a new show called: Drive with Sarah McInerney (The Sunday Times political correspondent) and Chris O'Donoghue from 4:00pm-7:00pm and from 6:30pm the Off The Ball team will bring regular sports issues in advance of their show.

http://entertainment.ie/trending/news/Newstalk-have-made-massive-changes-to-their-schedule-today/382489.htm

Ya I know that but they prob did this before they knew Colm was available. Or could he take over from Hookie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Ya I know that but they prob did this before they knew Colm was available. Or could he take over from Hookie ?

No. Dreadful idea. Sorry to say.

I heard colm a few weeks ago for the first time in years. It was actually sad to hear because it was so bad. Him and jim were the only radio to listen too when they were on 104. It was great stuff. To me, It came across that they were too managed in RTE and had too many hoops to jump through to get their ideas to air. They never reached the highs of 104. The reason they fell out never surfaced but its unfortunate because together they were brilliant. Now, separated they are both weak.

• Advertisement

Fran1985 wrote: »

I heard colm a few weeks ago for the first time in years. It was actually sad to hear because it was so bad. Him and jim were the only radio to listen too when they were on 104. It was great stuff. I think they were too managed in RTE and had too many hoops to jump through to get their ideas to air. They never reached the highs of 104. The reason they fell out never surfaced but its unfortunate because together they were brilliant. Now, separated they are both weak.

I miss Jim Jims Dad too, was hilarious segment

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Newstalk getting Colm Hayes in to do breakfast would be a good idea if they wanted to drive away all their listeners and bankrupt the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭squonk

If it was Monday to Friday early evenings, maybe Colm Hayes had filled in or had a short stint presenting Drivetime between 4:30-7:00pm time slot although they experimented with various start/finish times with the Drivetime slot. After 7:00pm on weeknights you would have had the 2FM Hotline (with the Hotline Hitlist published nightly in the Evening Herald) which was presented by Barry Lang or later Tony Fenton and from 8:00pm it was usually Dave Fanning if I recall correct?

It could have been drivetime. I've a feeling it was one of those evenings I flew through the homework so I'd say it was about 6:30/7 and might have been a little later in the year, maybe october. It's funny, now that I'm interrogating the memory, it's becoming less clear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Fran1985 wrote: »

I heard colm a few weeks ago for the first time in years. It was actually sad to hear because it was so bad. Him and jim were the only radio to listen too when they were on 104. It was great stuff. To me, It came across that they were too managed in RTE and had too many hoops to jump through to get their ideas to air. They never reached the highs of 104. The reason they fell out never surfaced but its unfortunate because together they were brilliant. Now, separated they are both weak.

The reason they fell out allegedly (!) was that Hayes was getting a multiple of Jim Jim'a fees.

I never found them funny collectively or individually. To me they were the radio equivalent of Mrs. Brown's Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

marno21 wrote: »
    Newstalk getting Colm Hayes in to do breakfast would be a good idea if they wanted to drive away all their listeners and bankrupt the station.

Never happen, he's too light and fluffy for a serious show,

As for driving listeners away from the station, they're making a good effort at it with these changes.

Would he fit in with PJ and Damo on 4fm ?

squonk wrote: »
    It could have been drivetime. I've a feeling it was one of those evenings I flew through the homework so I'd say it was about 6:30/7 and might have been a little later in the year, maybe october. It's funny, now that I'm interrogating the memory, it's becoming less clear :)

This Thread started by saying Colm was on lunchtimes in 88/89 with his own show. As well as having a show at weekends initially, he may have filled in on other weekday slots back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Red Fred

The account of the day Gerry Ryan died is inaccurate. Hayes and JimJim were doing breakfast as usual and it was Fiona Looney who covered Gerry's show that morning so I don't know how he could have been covering for Gerry when he "failed to show up for work".

Also Gerry didn't "fail to show up". He rang his producer the night before to say he wasn't feeling great and wouldn't be in for his show the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

i don't know how colm could have been in the running for the pd of 2fm job the day before ryan died when John McMahon had already gotten that job just a few months earlier ?

Advertisement