Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vintage 2FM Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Jank1

Does anyone have any 2FM schedules from the first half of the noughties? Or where could I find them?

2001: 6am Damien Farrelly, 7am Damien McCaul, 9am Gerry Ryan, 12pm Larry Gogan, 2pm Gareth O'Callaghan, 5pm Tony Fenton, 7pm Dusty Rhodes, 9pm Dave Fanning, 11pm Rick O'Shea Midnight Ruth Scott. Saturday 7am Michael Cahill, 11am Best of G Ryan, 12pm The Saturday Show with Will Leahy, 3pm Adian Leonard, 6pm -7am Dance music with Mark McCabe, Mr Spring, John Power, Boy George. Sunday 7am Michael Cahill, 11am The Chart show, 12noon Ireland's Biggest Jukebox with Simon Young, 3pm Adian Leonard, 6pm Dusty Rhodes, 8pm Dave Fanning, 11pm John Clarke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Clip of Gerry Ryan's nightly music show "The Nightshift" in 1987 on Radio 2.

I did not know his show was called "The Nightshift" during this 1987-1988 period.
    I always thought the show was called "Lights Out" right up until he moved to 9am to 12 noon in 1988.

https://fanningsessions.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/gerry-ryan-the-nightshift-1987/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

It must have been the early 90s, but I remember just after 12 midnight there a sort of comedy sketch for around 5 minutes. Can’t remember was it a man impersonating a woman or just a man, or what they even talked about!

I just remember thinking as it came on why I wasn’t asleep because I had school the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭RINO87

It must have been the early 90s, but I remember just after 12 midnight there a sort of comedy sketch for around 5 minutes. Can’t remember was it a man impersonating a woman or just a man, or what they even talked about!

I just remember thinking as it came on why I wasn’t asleep because I had school the next day!

Amelia go lightly on Maloney after Midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭its_steve116

RINO87 wrote: »

...whom I believe was Fiona Looney.

• Advertisement

Clip of Gerry Ryan's nightly music show "The Nightshift" in 1987 on Radio 2.

I did not know his show was called "The Nightshift" during this 1987-1988 period.
    I always thought the show was called "Lights Out" right up until he moved to 9am to 12 noon in 1988.

https://fanningsessions.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/gerry-ryan-the-nightshift-1987/

Lights out, awe haw, blast blast blast- wasn’t that the theme tune? Yes a surprise to me also - it was before Mark Cagney”s Night train “Night train...with Cagney”
    Then again while I listened to it I always just assumed the jingle was the name of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭RINO87

Snippet of Amelia here. I was the same as the poster earlier, if you heard this, you were up waaay too late! My older sister used to listen every evening, and I'm pretty sure there are tapes full of this somewhere in my ma's house.

That video is quite interesting - The Network 2 (I think its from before the "N2" rebrand) ident/video at the start is quite advanced for its time and looks pretty impressive. It shows all the reasons why people used to actually watch that station; Sport, Music, Movies and American imports. The current RTE 2 is a pale shadow of that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Yes that’s it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

According to Wikipedia, she was called Emilia Golightly!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 B!gD0g543

Anybody remember John Kenny's rock/metal show on 2FM?

Used to broadcast on a Sunday night around 1997/8, using 'Paranoid' and 'Whole Lotta Rosie' as jingles/intros.

Found the webpage on 2FM's old website via archive.org:-

http://web.archive.org/web/19981205155546/http://www.2fm.ie/

I found a shoebox of old cassettes the other day with parts of his show that I'd taped. Much better than 'The Battle Axe' - played really heavy stuff too (Slayer, Deicide, etc.)

I will always remember "Paranoid" at the intro. That was simply one of the greatest music shows in my lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Snippet of Amelia here. I was the same as the poster earlier, if you heard this, you were up waaay too late!

I only discovered around 1995 that Amelia’s inserts were repeated just before the end of the show at 2AM. Quite why this upset me so much, I shall never know :pac:

RTE Radio weekday and weekend schedules from July 1980

RTE radio weekday radio schedule from Aug 1983

RTE radio weekday schedule from Sept 1986

RTE 2FM radio weekday and weekend schedule from Sept 1989

RTE 2FM radio weekday and weekend schedule from Aug 1998

RTE 2FM radio weekday and weekend schedule from Aug 2001

RTE Radio 1 / Lyric / R Na G (Incl Today FM!!!) radio weekday schedule from Aug 2001

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

What was the name of the track that Dave Fanning used for the opening of his show in the late 80s/early 90s?

Radio sounded good in summer 2001, Atlantic 252 was on it's last lap but we didn't know it.

• Advertisement

RTE radio weekday schedule from Aug 1987

Those were the days that covid hysteria would never have taken off. No wall to wall news and current affairs programs and shows like liveline off all summer

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Interesting schedules!

Just looking at the first one for July 1980:

Barry Lang presented Rocksteady - must have been some class of rock show. Declan Meehan was doing Night Moves - this was not too long before he was kicked out of Radio 2 and rejoined the pirates! I never knew there was an Irish language show called The Heather Breeze and I never heard of its presenter Aine Hensey before. I don't that it lasted too long.

There used be a lot more genres of music catered for back in the early 1980s - I see there was a traditional Irish music show in 1983!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Loving the very youthful John Creedon as well as some of those gorgeous old AKG mics!

Gerry Ryan's programme was Rocksteady, Barry must've been covering for him, or maybe they rotated.

Crazy to think that up until mid-1999 Alan Corcoran had a Country and Irish show on Sunday evenings on 2FM, with Fr. Brian D'arcy doing the gig guide!!

Another schedule - August 1981 ...and you can see here that Gerry was presenting Rocksteady weekdays. Looks like some main presenters may have been holidays that week, such as Ronan Collins

Paschal Mooney presented Keep it Country in 1981! I see in the 1980 schedule there was a folk music show on Sunday evenings with Pat Butler and Marian Richardson!

Both Alan Corcoran and Paschal Mooney ended up presenting country music shows (as opposed to easy listening) on Dublin's Country Mix 106.8 - now Sunshine 106.8! Paschal crossed over to the Sunshine 106.8 era until his program was axed.

RTE 2FM radio weekday and weekend schedule from May 1993 - probably their most popular and most listened to line up, a good few years before Today FM and regional radio and of course the internet. They did very well in the 90s.

This is around the time Michael McNamara started to do his Dance Show, taking over from Simon Young Sat nights.

Lorcan Murray took over from McNamara on weekend afternoons.

I think Bob Conway (usually on Overnights) was filling in for Simon on weekend breakfast this week.

Fiona Looney filling in for Dave Fanning.

A strange one around these years, was that Ian Dempsey (who as also on weekday Breakfast) did a Sunday oldies late afternoon show (cutting Lorcan Murray's long 4.5 hours shift, by around 2 hours), when the Beatbox finished up for the Summer. Ian's oldies show was mostly broadcast from the 2FM Roadcaster at Summer festivals/Beat on the Streets etc. if they were set up at such a location for the day.

Good Times :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I presume Peter Collins Sunday night show was a pre record? Unless 2FM chartered a concorde to bring him back from F1 races like Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Japan and Australia.

Advertisement