Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB apprenticeship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Hey I think the references you have are the real deceiding factor..who should I get mine off?A former teacher?school principle?boss at work?can you use your farther as a reference?And also is all you do is get your referees details and theyll be contacted?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Out of interest who did people here use as references?
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

hi i jus want to give my two cents. i applied to the ESB for an apprentiship about 5 years ago, i was just out of school and i didnt know what to do with myself. got a letter back saying i had to go for an aptitude test which is organised by a third party company called "parc". did the test which if i can remember was four different aptitude tests including mechanical, maths, forget the other two. two weeks later i got a letter asking me to go for an interview which was been held in the main offices in finglas. nearly missed it by accident as there used to be an esb shop just in finglas village and i thought thats were it was. little did i know i was jus 18. so i got the 17a into finglas nice and early went into the shop and waited around for a bit. then a worker came over to me askin if he could help me. i said i was here for the interview, and he laughed. said it wasnt here but in the offices about 20 mins up the road. looked at the watch and had 15 mins till it started. ran outa the shop and straight up to the offices and jus made it as my name was been called. bad start for an interview i tell ya. about the interview there was two people. a man and a woman. the jus asked me about myself, my hobbies and why i was interested in working for the esb. then they started askin me did i know much about electricity. at that stage i couldnt change a plug top. so i tried to remember a battery experiment i had done in school. DISASTER i panicked and couldnt put 2 and 2 together. i knew there and then i had messed up. left the interview know i had made a mess. got a letter shortly after saying i hadnt made the cut but it wasnt the end of the world as i had sent out multiple cvs. now im qualified with a distinction on my cert but made redundent last march. went back to collage in sept to get my electrical services eng degree which i had been doing part time for two years. so come this summer hopefully i might get a job doing something which i really enjoy. the problem with this game is that your not guarenteed work week in week out. you could work 60 hours + one week then be on temp layoff the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Any info when they will be informing people about the aptitude test ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I would imagine it will be 2 or 3 weeks at least

Anybody hear anything back, or know when the ESB will be letting people konw ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Netty123

Hi lads, I'm in the ESB for nearly 10 years now, great job.
    Few words of advice for all of you for an ESB interview.
    Safety is NUMBER 1 in the ESB, have examples of situations where you do things in a safe manner, it may be something as simple as cutting the lawn ie.. you ware steel toe caped boots and never leave lawn moer unattended etc.
    Sounds poxy but safety is No.1
    Another would be to be able to show how you used ur brain to make a job easer and safer, alot of our work is problem solving ie.. if you were painting a wall you tied the top of the ladder to something and you put on a harness to prevent you from falling which also allowed to work with both hands off the ladder. Simple stuff but thats what the like. one of the panel will prob be HR and the other an apprentice co-ordinator, they might not know how to put in a light bulb!!
    Safety and forward planning, Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ash10

anyone get a letter in the post today about the apptitude test in DIT??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paa9090

no did you?? know last year was bout 14th the tests were last year... any one doin the prep course i ve seen advertised

• Advertisement

yeah got one der today, 7th of april in DIT......half 9 in the morning!! talk about an early start....

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

I wouldn't bother with a prep course, they send you out a samples of all the tests anyway

loads of people i know applied for it......are they allowing certain people to move on the the aptitude part of it!?!? because nobody else i know got a letter

i dunnno man i applied last year got it and never sat it.. but know lads who applied and heard nothin

Would people in the west of Ireland do the aptitude test somewhere else ?

Yeah it'll most likely be done in your local IT

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

well i just got a letter today from the esb sayining to go the aptitude test in DIT. Anyone know how many people actually got this letter?

i got the letter but never heard of anyone else yet

They get ALOT of people to do the aptitude test, unless you come off as a complete gob****e in the application, your best bet is to start looking at trying to do maths questions very fast and try looking at some mechanical reasoning things if you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

bassey wrote: »
    They get ALOT of people to do the aptitude test, unless you come off as a complete gob****e in the application, your best bet is to start looking at trying to do maths questions very fast and try looking at some mechanical reasoning things if you can

Yes the aptitude test is like that, a lot of mechanical gears and work out which way they will turn etc, and quick maths questions, sort of logical stuff but i think you have to be quite quick at getting through them.

23 years since i did one but thats how it was then anyway.

• Advertisement

Aye, I did it last year and it was something like 100 quick maths questions in 10 minutes, 80 mechanical reasoning ones in 10 minutes. There's other tests aswell to do with grammer I think and also one where you're shown 4 very similar shapes and you have to pick out which 2 are identical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

bassey wrote: »
    Aye, I did it last year and it was something like 100 quick maths questions in 10 minutes, 80 mechanical reasoning ones in 10 minutes. There's other tests aswell to do with grammer I think and also one where you're shown 4 very similar shapes and you have to pick out which 2 are identical

Did you get in. My cousin got in last year.

say if we (me) get no notice in next two days it a dead duck.. i from west ireland and was called to DIT last year so doubt there be a west of ireland location for the tests

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭germanicus

so there's still some hope of a letter for me? 'cause i didn't get one yet:(

any one get the letter TODAY

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Did you get in. My cousin got in last year.

Yeah I got in, started last September

still no word for me and i'm in donegal. . is there any hope for me??

not sure now to be honest its hard 2 know really!! id say they got loads of applications..... maybe us women get 1st preference!!:cool:

Ash10 wrote: »
    maybe us women get 1st preference!!:cool:

This wouldn't be very far from the truth from what I've seen tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Screwedforlc

What actually happens if you do well in the aptitude test and following interviews

Advertisement