Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it me??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭amacca

timple23 wrote: »
    Its a disgrace that we have to put up with so much scrutiny from environmentalist, when companies are getting away with blue murder with planned obsolescence.

I'd agree, I don't mind the scrutiny, if there's a problem let's fix it but planned obsolescence has to be one of the biggest environmental problem and it'll take them a long time to get around to that because far too many business modela rely heavily on it. It's frustrating when they focus on the cobwebs in the corner of the room and ignore the giant elephants sitting down on the sofa watching television and eating all the good biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭older by the day

Got 4 inch quarry pipes in Oct for 12 Euro. 15.50 today . Got a text, bale plastic is on the way up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Dunedin

[quote="older by the day;116839925"Got a text, bale plastic is on the way up[/quote]

Heard today it could be as high as €95 a roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Dunedin wrote: »
    Heard today it could be as high as €95 a roll.

Hardly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I tell people just get the kids clothes when their getting presents. People will go for chape Chinese doll houses etc that fall apart after 3 days and are fecked Into the bin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I tell people just get the kids clothes when their getting presents. People will go for chape Chinese doll houses etc that fall apart after 3 days and are fecked Into the bin

Stop the amount of crap bought as presents for our kids is sinful. There is even way too much good quality stuff bought. They hardly play with 1/4 of it. Every present they get now for Christmas or birthday is as good as a main present. We pled every year with relations to cut back but it’s worse it’s getting. I know there is a hell of a lot worse complaints to have too but I can’t help but think of the poor kids that are less fortunate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Stop the amount of crap bought as presents for our kids is sinful. There is even way too much good quality stuff bought. They hardly play with 1/4 of it. Every present they get now for Christmas or birthday is as good as a main present. We pled every year with relations to cut back but it’s worse it’s getting. I know there is a hell of a lot worse complaints to have too but I can’t help but think of the poor kids that are less fortunate
    See it here with the 2 smallies. Best craic they have had over the past few weeks was in the garden playing with water in containers, worms and bugs, and finally a blanket thrown from the couch to a side table. Now it's there den and the cushions from the couch are gone into it. Kids want to use their imagination and want to have fun. Dread Christmas with the amount of stuff that comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭Grueller

See it here with the 2 smallies. Best craic they have had over the past few weeks was in the garden playing with water in containers, worms and bugs, and finally a blanket thrown from the couch to a side table. Now it's there den and the cushions from the couch are gone into it. Kids want to use their imagination and want to have fun. Dread Christmas with the amount of stuff that comes in

I have a pile of spoil from digging a tank in the corner of the yard. Last year I had a lad look at it to get rid of it. The same evening I watched my 9 year old son jumping from rock to rock, swinging a sword at the pirates following him. I stood and watched from a distance for 10 minutes. He was having the best fun I ever saw. He didn't see me but I decided that the pile of spoil was staying there for a few years yet. No PlayStation could ever create what he had from an imagination. The toy sword was the only bought toy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

richie123 wrote: »
    By the end of 2021 our national deot will be close to 240 billion euros.
    Let me put it another way..its basically a quarter of a trillion euro.

One quarter of a trillion.

All it will take is for interest rates to rise just a small bit.

Who do we owe this money to? Will they live long enough to recoup it? And can we kill the bastard!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭green daries

Jjameson wrote: »
    Who do we owe this money to? Will they live long enough to recoup it? And can we kill the bastard!?

We might get two birds with the one stone as well.....
    ....he /she is probably investing heavily in plant based heavily manufacturing food ie vegan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Grueller wrote: »
    I have a pile of spoil from digging a tank in the corner of the yard. Last year I had a lad look at it to get rid of it. The same evening I watched my 9 year old son jumping from rock to rock, swinging a sword at the pirates following him. I stood and watched from a distance for 10 minutes. He was having the best fun I ever saw. He didn't see me but I decided that the pile of spoil was staying there for a few years yet. No PlayStation could ever create what he had from an imagination. The toy sword was the only bought toy there.

Who are ya telling about using their imagination!...lad here has all the tractors,balers,wrappers.mowers etc etc.....big field of fake grass,sheds to beat the band and around 40 of the proper plastic cows, then sheep,pigs etc etc....havn't seen him play with them once in last few months!....is on the feckin Xbox too much playing online with classmates....am going to get him playing with them when we get our annual May heatwave outside the house....come hell or high water:)

Have often told him how when I was 7 or 8 I used to play for hours using the berries from Blackthorns as my 'cows'!....a Quix washing up liquid bottle with the top cut off it was 'the lorry'...and moved them from 'field to field' between the concrete slabs on Septic tank for home house.

Ah great times:)

Jjameson wrote: »
    What ever entities buy our bonds a lot of the time the ecb I think.

The last year has been mad, money out of fresh air yet we can't sort homelessness and housing.

Just tells you what money really is, a mechanism of controlling the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Loved it when my kids were smaller. A bulky present would come into the house and the kids would get more fun playing with the cardboard box which housed the present as opposed to the present itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Loved it when my kids were smaller. A bulky present would come into the house and the kids would get more fun playing with the cardboard box which housed the present as opposed to the present itself.

This!
    Almost every time - the box would become a house or a fort or a bus or a tunnel :)

Another thing the kids here knock savage craic out of is chalk on the tar outside. They draw towns and houses and the like and have savage craic going to the shop or robbing the bank or the likes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭893bet

Yes it’s the Illuminati. We need a reset.

This is the nonsense I see posted regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The last year has been mad, money out of fresh air yet we can't sort homelessness and housing.

I read somewhere that more US dollars have been printed in the last few years than in all of the history of the currency, that is an incredible fact ( if true) and must lead to runaway inflation eventually.

Homelessness, or at least the visible version of it , is almost always the result of addiction or anti-social behaviour or mental health issues, and that's a very different problem to solve than just providing more housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

This!
    Almost every time - the box would become a house or a fort or a bus or a tunnel :)

Another thing the kids here knock savage craic out of is chalk on the tar outside. They draw towns and houses and the like and have savage craic going to the shop or robbing the bank or the likes :)

Same here. Simple things. A euro or two on some chalk meant loads of fun. Let them draw whatever they wanted as the rain would wash it away and they could start again next day. The only good thing about the last recession was gave us a opportunity to focus more on the simple things in life. Sometimes when things are booming things can get overlooked and it becomes keeping up with the Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Same here. Simple things. A euro or two on some chalk meant loads of fun. Let them draw whatever they wanted as the rain would wash it away and they could start again next day. The only good thing about the last recession was gave us a opportunity to focus more on the simple things in life. Sometimes when things are booming things can get overlooked and it becomes keeping up with the Jones.

Keeping up with the Jones must be the most depressing way I can think of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I think the beginning of first lockdown was a better focus on simple life.
    Even during the recession there was some with money still buying away.
    The fact we were trapped at home this year done more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Suckler

wrangler wrote: »
    A very sound celebrity on BBC has labelled the present generation of children as Snowflakes, so it's the way they're being reared/ spoilt

Well if its a "very sound celebrity" it must be true...:rolleyes:

I'll take parenting advice from celebs with a very large pinch of salt.

I love when this comes up, as if my generation/previous generations were some sort of hard working beacons of light, with superior morals and ethics that the current generation aren't fit to measure up to. It's laughable.

I don't envy anyone coming out of school/college these days. Jobs & careers, qualification expectancy, performance evaluation requirements, personal & social expectations & hopes; are all massively different to what previous generations had experienced.

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    Yes it’s the Illuminati. We need a reset.

This is the nonsense I see posted regularly.

I exchange my time for money in a job. Isnt that a form of control.

All of a sudden they just start printing money to bail out cruise ship companies and airlines etc and we see the value of our money fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I'll have to disagree with you, the formation of loans and borrowing is what controls you, if you don't owe money you can have a relatively carefree existence,.
    However most of us will borrow to buy land, house etc. A lot of the problem is not being happy with what was left to you, 30 or 40 acres in a will can turn into 80 acres or 140 acres and a big loan and a tractor needed to farm it, what our parents survived on wouldn't do us as our generation wanted more and bigger machinery.
    I'm just commenting on the farming aspect of it but its across the board in every part of culture, the hippy in a mobile has often a happier life than the lad killing himself with 150 milkers and big loans or the the lad above on a roof with a 40 grand jeep, keep the banks away from your door and life simple and things often look better, in my experience anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Suckler wrote: »
    Well if its a "very sound celebrity" it must be true...:rolleyes:

I'll take parenting advice from celebs with a very large pinch of salt.

I love when this comes up, as if my generations/previous generations were some sort of hard working beacons of light, with superior morals and ethics that the current generation aren't fit to measure up to. It's laughable.

I don't envy anyone coming out of school/college these days. Jobs & careers, qualification expectancy, performance evaluation requirements, personal & social expectations & hopes; are all massively different to what previous generations had experienced.

I've a friend, older than I am, in a so called partnership with his son. Any time I'm over there and I ask where his son is, he says ''driving children'' so who's the snowflake there..... there's three generations of them there

I've a friend, older than I am, in a so called partnership with his son. Any time I'm over there and I ask where his son is, he says ''driving children'' so who's the snowflake there..... there's three generations of them there

Anytime you're over there as well, convenient. Well on that 'evidence' I'm convinced. Snowflakes the lot of them.

Suckler wrote: »
    Anytime you're over there as well, convenient. Well on that 'evidence' I'm convinced. Snowflakes the lot of them.

Don't you know we're all a band of liars on here, I don't care enough to bother lying on here
    Actually we'll leave lying to Beef Plan

Not many spoilt pups in this family
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/todays-children-cant-look-after-themselves-says-tv-shepherdess-amanda-owen-xmrrpxx3l

Don't you know we're all a band of liars on here, I don't care enough to bother lying on here
    Actually we'll leave lying to Beef Plan

It's disingenuous. You care enough to come on and wax lyrical about "snowflakes" despite obviously no experience of what you're complaining about.

Would generalisations about farmers be as accepted by you...not a hope.

Again, a "celebrity" with an agenda and a profile to maintain says so....

“The snowflake generation, they can’t do anything”, Owen, 46, told Radio Times. “They don’t know anything about how to look after themselves, or a work ethic — all of that has gone out of the window.”

It's patent lies by her without any backup for a sweeping generalisation, but its ok because it keeps her profile relevant and ultimately keeps money coming in.

Again, I'll take statements like that with a hefty lump of scepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

God this thread is desperate, moany whingers

I'll have to disagree with you, the formation of loans and borrowing is what controls you, if you don't owe money you can have a relatively carefree existence,.
    However most of us will borrow to buy land, house etc. A lot of the problem is not being happy with what was left to you, 30 or 40 acres in a will can turn into 80 acres or 140 acres and a big loan and a tractor needed to farm it, what our parents survived on wouldn't do us as our generation wanted more and bigger machinery.
    I'm just commenting on the farming aspect of it but its across the board in every part of culture, the hippy in a mobile has often a happier life than the lad killing himself with 150 milkers and big loans or the the lad above on a roof with a 40 grand jeep, keep the banks away from your door and life simple and things often look better, in my experience anyway

You don't want to have an anxious disposition or prone to depression to be borrowing money.
    If any thing goes wrong the banks and the loan will make it a hundred times worse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭amacca

trg wrote: »
    God this thread is desperate, moany whingers

Are you not making a bit of whingy observation there ?

On your way to a positive thread for positive people:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

You don't want to have an anxious disposition or prone to depression to be borrowing money.
    If any thing goes wrong the banks and the loan will make it a hundred times worse

The uncle thats done fairly well for himself over in the states told me the amount of money i borrow isnt the issue if its €10,000 or €100,000 but no matter what the amount is if youre not going to be able to sleep at night over it forget about it.

Better living everyone

Advertisement