Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The football podcasts badly need another voice other than Giles. I love John but come on, mix it up a bit. Giles is just repeating the same stuff over and over (much like Tomas Ryan).
    We need to hear other opinions. Where did Brady and Didi go? Didi in particular was very good but it’s been an age since either were on.

I don't think either of them has been on for at least 6 months at this stage

I'll echo what you've said, I really like Giles but the soccer pods are beyond stale at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Has Eamon fallen out with Brady? He hasn’t been on in months. Even Didi Hamann or Graham Souness would be a nice change from ‘the best analyst in the world.’ The two lads have been having practically the same conversation for the last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Didi moved to Australia and was charged a couple of years ago with assaulting his partner, but i think he was on last year at least once. Brady commented on RTE radio about a week ago, not sure why he hasnt been on in a while.

Eamo had a piece on Cheltenham but dont believe the horse scandal was mentioned, didn't listen so cant confirm.

At this stage he may as well call it a day, its the same old same old. You can read the title notification on your phone of a new episode and can tell who the guest will be, the questions asked and answers given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

If you break down the ten games kennys been in charge they never look threatening & he has zero plan in the final third,that is damning and he must take accountability for that.I see us close to losing every other match under him because of the final third issue,he’s lost at sea Yet the pundits won’t state the obvious, I miss Dunphy as a pundit for highlighting the truth, cunningham was cowardly last night

Dunphy was broadly very supportive of Stephen Kenny in the Star today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

omerin wrote: »
    At this stage he may as well call it a day, it's the same old same old. You can read the title notification on your phone of a new episode and can tell who the guest will be, the questions asked and the answers given.

I wouldn't tell him to call it a day but he needs to freshen things up a bit. He has some good contributors to the other podcasts and I still give many of those a listen. Ironically, it's the football ones that are now amongst the weakest he produces. I have no problem with him keeping John Giles on the podcasts but they are crying out for the input from a younger person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The football podcasts badly need another voice other than Giles. I love John but come on, mix it up a bit. Giles is just repeating the same stuff over and over (much like Tomas Ryan).
    We need to hear other opinions. Where did Brady and Didi go? Didi in particular was very good but it’s been an age since either were on.

I agree with you but I would say the entire panel of contributors needs more of a mix, it seems to be just Chris Johns, Niall Stanage, Tomás Ryan, Naomi O Leary on repeat these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Surely someone would take eamon aside and say “if you’re going to use the right wing hacks, journalists and after dinner speakers again I’ll break your legs”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Another episode of the Eamo & Tomas show today. 3rd time on in 12 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Surely someone would take eamon aside and say “if you’re going to use the right wing hacks, journalists and after dinner speakers again I’ll break your legs”

Dunphy has no problem with right wing backs, he just thinks Coleman should play there not Doherty.

Dunphy has no problem with right wing backs, he just thinks Coleman should play there not Doherty.

It doesn’t really matter now anyway looks like Ireland will be boycotting the World Cup after all, course not intentionally mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

tubridy is our national leg breaker

Surely someone would take Eamon aside and say “if you’re going to use the right-wing hacks, journalists and after dinner speakers again I’ll break your legs”

Has anybody ever mentioned that somebody in Sweden got an Anders Tegnell tattoo? Or that Trump told the Proud Boys to stand back and stand by?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Could be time to start an Eamo bingo card.

Is it not?

I wonder do his listening figures go down much when certain guests come on? For example, I haven't bothered to listen to a Tomás Ryan episode for several months and have the feeling I am not missing much or hearing anything new. The Russian one is good for a laugh if I'm in the mood for satire but otherwise, it's not crucial. He seems to have dropped Brendan O'Neill, which is no loss because he was a poor quality contributor - has Chris Johns replaced him?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Could be time to start an Eamo bingo card.

Is it not?

You mean a snorting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Had to turn off the latest Verona Murphy one

She literally just rants and raves away at length and every so often eamo says a quiet “yeah”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Eamon really gives Billy Hutchinson laughably soft interviews. Took Billy about one minute to start blaming nationalists for loyalist rioting and Eamon just nods along saying "yes" every 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Eamon really gives Billy Hutchinson laughably soft interviews. Took Billy about one minute to start blaming nationalists for loyalist rioting and Eamon just nods along saying "yes" every 5 seconds.

He tried to push that Boris screwed them over but immediately backed down when Billy said it was Dublin's fault. As you said laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

He used to have Billy Hutchinson on the Last Word analysing premier league football matches. This was during a time when loyalists were actively murdering Catholics. His only qualification for it was that he was a Leeds fan. Dunphy got annoyed when listeners called him out on it.

Hutchinson himself of course killed two Catholic men on their way to work one morning. When asked recently did he regret it he said no and tried to justify it as taking the war to the Provisional IRA. I remember seeing him attending protests for workers rights a few years ago and thought about the rights of those two workers he had killed.

Cazale wrote: »
    He used to have Billy Hutchinson on the Last Word analysing premier league football matches. This was during a time when loyalists were actively murdering Catholics. His only qualification for it was that he was a Leeds fan. Dunphy got annoyed when listeners called him out on it.

Hutchinson himself of course killed two Catholic men on their way to work one morning. When asked recently did he regret it he said no and tried to justify it as taking the war to the Provisional IRA. I remember seeing him attending protests for workers rights a few years ago and thought about the rights of those two workers he had killed.

I saw that interview too, sickening.

So what gives? Why is Dunphy doing this, is it just sh*t stirring attention seeking stuff and publicity attached with this or is it deeper than that, is he some kind of loyalist sympathiser? He seems to be so righteous on other human and civil rights issues. Hutchinson should not be given any airtime on Irish radio, not only because of his past and how unapologetic he is but because he has so little to add to any discussion on anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

Does anyone know what the music is at the start of the podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

yes, Yes, YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

The classic Loyalist response to everything. The problem is that the Irish government are still rightly pursuing reunification and polls down south are consistently showing support for it.
    The British government on the other hand has pulled further away from NI and has done so for the last few decades. They know damn well that the NI of old is gone and that a break away from the UK is inevitable. It may take further decades but its happening as we speak.
    Also let's not forget that the PSNI have carried out a lot of raids on "Loyalist" gangsters in the week leading up to this. The rioting over the protocol is just a smokescreen... Let's be honest here if you pulled one of those young lads and asked them to explain why there is custom checks in Larne Port they wouldn't have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

Used to credit Dunphy for allowing both sides in NI space on radio to give their side. I distinctly remember some of his last word shows around the time of the GFA where he put people's past to one side to focus on a new future.

Would still say fair play for allowing Billy Hutchinson on, but the lack of any hard questions or challenge was infuriating. I am no fan of SF, but I genuinely don't think their vision is to not have a prod about the place, as Billy put it. I also don't think that in aII scenario, unionists / loyalists would be discriminated against the way Catholics were (which Billy seems to fear). While he did advocate peaceful protest over crime, on balance he purported to say the violent protests were justified and the fault of everyone else.

If there is a conclusion from the interview it's that the PUP under Billy is no longer progressive, it's anti everyone else, anti Dublin, anti London, anti SF and anti DUP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

I'm no expert on the subject of the North, I'm a big fan generally of the podcast but good to see others mention how soft that interview was.
    He did not challenge him on anything really, just agreed with everything that was said.
    Hutchinson just exudes anger and bitterness, some of that is surely understandable, but he does not strike me for one minute as a conciliatory person and one who is about building bridge and mending wounds.
    One point he makes that carrys weight is the fact that even if a poll on a united Ireland took place, whatever way it goes, you end up with a very signiificant minority that is unhappy. Thats a very valid point.
    But that wasnt an interview in my view, it was merely a soapbox for Hutchinson to display his dislike (thats a kind way to phrase it) of Nationalism and Republicanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Perhaps not relevant to many on this thread but on the golf episodes Eamon has mentioned a few times that coverage of golf in the media and golf journalism in general is "poor". He states this as if it's a well-known fact.

As a golf fan I'm not really sure where he's getting this from. Also considering he's not a massive golf fan himself I'd be surprised if he's well versed in the week-on-week coverage of the sport.

Knowing Eamo it's likely a baseless statement and merely a means of brown-nosing his guest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I think Billy Hutchison is afforded far softer interviews by all broadcasters in this country. Far softer than would be given to Republicans who were involved in similar to activities as he was when he was a young terrorist.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Perhaps not relevant to many on this thread but on the golf episodes Eamon has mentioned a few times that coverage of golf in the media and golf journalism in general is "poor". He states this as if it's a well-known fact.

As a golf fan I'm not really sure where he's getting this from. Also considering he's not a massive golf fan himself I'd be surprised if he's well versed in the week-on-week coverage of the sport.

Knowing Eamo it's likely a baseless statement and merely a means of brown-nosing his guest.

I got the distinct impression he was having a thinly veiled pop at someone in particular.
    I wouldn't be up on my Golf writers to hazard a guess though.

In the early days on the pod he had Dermot Gilleece on, it's a pity he wasn't able to hang onto him. An entertaining and knowledgeable man.

just speculating, but is it one of the following, is he going on an anti-white elitist sport rant where they don't voice enough in support of discrimination against black people and women OR/BOTH not much discussion around doping and drug usage in the sport (or because trump plays golf)

None of this is my view something I would take issue with and I find the golf commentators to be extremely good at identifying and analysing the smallest of things to viewers, but I would imagine if Eamo has a problem with them it would be because of some woke crusade he has imagined rather than their journalistic prowess.

Either way, his show is utter muck. I used like him on various media, hes now just a ranting very, very doddery aul lad. Hang up the mic and earphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭jaykay74

purelike wrote:
    Does anyone know what the music is at the start of the podcast?

Stone roses, love spreads.

Advertisement