Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Yep, I've come to accept that the speeds are the best trainer out there for all paces.
    But on wet days, they are to too slippy, so I wear the zoom flys.
    Love to know if its just me.

I'd be the same, which will mean they will last me to at least 2031 given that I live in one of the wettest part of Europe :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Have you tried the fuelcell TC?

No - but am on the look out for another good training shoe - the ZF3's have over 300 miles on them, so its a case of get a new pair of them or try something different. I'd love to try something different.

Thursday: Rest day - no running - but a 50 min Pilates class.

Typically, my Fridays are manic with work, running, grocery shopping and dinner - so with me taking a rest day on Thursday - I changed my grocery day - I'm so damn radical. #rockstarlifestyle.

Friday: 7m easy to the PP and home - nothing hectic.

Absolutely bored out of my brains on Friday evening. The 'no hectic Fridays' will take some getting used to.

7m/8.17 pace.

Saturday: session: 4WU/ 8m at 6.20 (I'm sure coach said 6.25) / 4CD.

Last weeks debacle of not being able to manage 7 at 6.40 played on my mind a little...........not a lot, though.
    I knew the easier Friday would help and I fueled well on Friday.

Up early on Sat and done some good activations and stretching. Shoe choice saw me reach for the Endorphin Speeds.

I knew on the warm up that it was going to be a good day - I was having to slow down. Some strides a few more stretches and I was ready to go.
    The loop was going to be the 5m loop (North Road, turn after the zoo, back up chesterfield and then back onto the North Road.

Keep it handy I was saying - the legs felt great and I had a tail wind for the 1st bit - Mile 1 was 6.10 :)
    Mile 2 went around the triangle on the North Road (6.13) - I was a little worried now about the later miles - especially as the 3rd mile clocked a 6.09.
    The next 2 miles were up Chesterfield into that breeze and was quite tough - a battling 6.26 and 6.27 saw me turn off Chesterfield and almost immediately, the effort dropped and the pace increased.
    Next 2 miles were 6.14/6.18. The last mile had me asking the question if I could go on for aother 10-15 mins at that pace - being honest, I dont think I could have - but if it had of been a 10m session, I would have ran the initial miles easier. Last mile was 6.17.
    (I think it will be a 10 mile session in a couple of weeks.)

the 4m home are tough normally as its uphill and into a headwind - but I had a smile on my face as I thought about how hard last weeks session was and how I had nailed this weeks harder session.

16.5m (7.08 ave) - longest run in over a year.

Sunday: 7.8m recovery run on the PP trails. Legs felt a slight bit beat up - but that was a result of a 2 hour dog walk after the run on Sat. The wine on Sat night was also a significant contributor.

7.8m/8.34 pace.

58m for the week - I kept my mileage similar to previous weeks and included a rest day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

No - but am on the look out for another good training shoe - the ZF3's have over 300 miles on them, so its a case of get a new pair of them or try something different. I'd love to try something different.

Well my recommendations aren't worth a ****e here since the Infinity React debacle:(

That being said the Fuelcell TC is a rare type of runner that I would wear for everything to be honest. I can imagine wearing it for 10k races, HM races, any sort of session but especially longer tempos. I'm a huge fan. But that's just my opinion. If you asked me today what one runner from my collection would I buy again tomorrow it would be the fuelcell TC.

Well my recommendations aren't worth a ****e here since the Infinity React debacle:(

That being said the Fuelcell TC is a rare type of runner that I would wear for everything to be honest. I can imagine wearing it for 10k races, HM races, any sort of session but especially longer tempos. I'm a huge fan. But that's just my opinion. If you asked me today what one runner from my collection would I buy again tomorrow it would be the fuelcell TC.

Cheers P - just bought a pair!

I'm like a kid at Christmas!

• Advertisement

I take no responsibility if you hate them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Remind me again?

MY BAD wrote: »
    Remind me again?

Two Boardsies have gone off my recommendation for the infinity react and both hate them!

I take no responsibility if you hate them!
    Two Boardsies have gone off my recommendation for the infinity react and both hate them!

It was on my list of possibilities.

I've low mileage on my Speeds, so buying a 2nd pair of these would be silly.
    My Zoom Fly's were a serious consideration, but I seem to be less keen on these for longer tempos/MP'ish (which I'm doing a lot more of these days).

Anyway - I've wanted to try something different anyay.

But if they are $h!te............ I will find you............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Don't worry about it. Trial and error and all that :) Better to get a recommendation on the forum than online reviews looking for views/likes etc..

• Advertisement

But if they are $h!te............ I will find you............

And give them to me???

Deal......

Monday: 30 min easy jog to the Khyber and 10 Hill Sprints up the trail at the bottom of the Khyber - 30mins back.
    Defo needed the stones for this one!!

7.3m

Tuesday: Easy run at lunch time in the sun - great to be in T-Shirts this weather.

No Pilates this week - so done some other stretching and activation routines - took about 15mins total, but felt great afterwards.

7.2m / 8.06 pace

Wednesday: Session: 2x20mins. (1st set at 6min/mile - 1nd set at 5.55)

This was always going to be a milestone session in my mind at least - when I 1st took up with the coach - he asked me if I was capable of a 2x20min session at T pace - I laughed and said no - (despite doing a 2x2m + 1m recently) - I wasn't confident of executing it.

I prepared well for the session - also doing some activations prior really helps.
    The last few tempos I've done - I've had sore quads afterwards for a couple of days - so I wore the 4%'s to help with this.

A 20min WU including 4 strides and I was ready for the off.

The 1st set felt very controlled, despite a too quick 1st mile and constant slowing down in later miles (that wouldn't be a concern in the next rep :) ) - the 1st 20 mins finished in 5.54 / 6.01/5.56/ 5.57 for the last bit - Average 5.57.

5mins recovery - 8.10 pace.

2nd Set saw me around the same 2m loop then go off to the OS road for the last mile - the 1st 2 miles were fine and most of the 3rd mile was also fine.

There is 'something' about coming near the finish - whatever the session - you start to have the negative voices - its actually mad how the brain works.
    Anyhow - coming to near the end of the 3rd mile - I'm feeling it - I'm saying 2-3 more mins - just keep it going.
    The brain is saying: "just call it at 18mins - what's the big deal about 20 mins anyway."

I keep gong - the 3m clicks and I know I've just over 2 mins - I start counting my breaths to distact myself and before you know it the final 30 secs are upon me. I finish the 2nd 20 mins with a 5.50 / 5.55/ 5.54/ and 6.04 for the last 2+ mins.

I sit down in the sunshine with a smile - something I've not done in a while - thinking that I've just ran two back to back sub 18.30 5k's.
    I've not done a session like that previously at that pace - so happy with the progress over the last few weeks.

I'm interested to see how the next few weeks play out as the midweek sessions change.

total mileage: 12.2m (ave pace 7.01)

251 miles for March & Starting April with a rest day.
    Excited for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's lovely to see you so enthused about your running A. You seemed a little bit tormented there for a while if I may say so! And great progress already... it's exciting to see where you're going to go :)

ariana` wrote: »
    It's lovely to see you so enthused about your running A. You seemed a little bit tormented there for a while if I may say so! And great progress already... it's exciting to see where you're going to go :)

thanks for that - a lovely thing to take the time to say.

Thursday: Rest day - No Pilates today either - Busy in work as I've a week off coming up. Took delivery of my new Fuel Cell TC's.

Friday: Wanted to try out the fuel cell's prior to a session - so wore them today. My God - what a wonderful feeling.
    The last time I got that feeling was when I wore the Nike 4% for the 1st time - then the Next %.

I think these will be my favourite training shoe - above the Zoom Fly and above the Endorphin Speeds.
    They felt great at 8 min miles too.

7m down to the park and back - trying to slow down the whole time.

7m/8min miles.

Saturday: Session 2WU/12@6.45*/2CD

I was pretty confident about this one prior to it - this was the session that I didn't complete a couple of weeks ago, so was keen to banish those demons.
    Prepared well for this again - its getting a good habit prior to sessions.
    Activations and stretches before the run - 2 pieces of toast and the patented AMK 2/3 strategy
    (2coffees/3 poos)
    - and I was off.

2m WU brought me to Whites Gate at the PP, a couple more stretches and I'm off. As I'm going along on mile 1, I'm thinking - is the set pace 6.45 or 6.40? I can vaguely recall 6.45 but the pace of the previous failed session was 6.40 - so I agreed on 6.40 with myself - sure whats 5 seconds - then mile 1 beeped at 6.30. Some things never change.

I was going down the North Road and around the triangle and I got a darting pain in my back muscle, close to my lung - knocked me for 6 for a few secs - felt like I was stabbed. I wasn't even breathing heavy or in trouble - I stretched it out for a couple of seconds and kept going. a Weird feeling.

I went around by the Zoo and back up Chesterfield - I hadn't hit a 6.40 yet - all faster - so gave myself the luxury of slowing if I needed to going up Chesterfield. Done another 2 mile loop after turning again from Chesterfield and had 3 miles left - finished these by going down the Furze, up the OS and up to Whites gate again.

the 12 miles were in 6.35.

2miles home.

I double checked the training and the set pace was indeed 6.45 - so a mighty 10 secs/mile faster than the plan - which I think is significant enough.

It will hopefully make the next sessions easier having this in the legs.

a 2 hour walk with the dog in the afternoon made sure I was nicely cooked for the day. Take away pints from the C'Knock Hotel went down very well that evening.

Sunday: just over 8 miles recovery around the park. Lovely run on a nice day.

8.1m / 8.35 pace

Something of note this week.
    In the past few weeks I've had sore quads after the sessions (weekend and Midweek) - they are fine in a couple of days, but the day after a session, it was very noticable.

This week, from wearing the 4% midweek and the Fuelcells on Sat - the quads felt fine.
    Could be the shoes or it could be me getting used to the sessions - or both.
    Glad I clarified that :)

58 miles for the week
    2x10 min S&C routines
    1 rest day.
    3 real pints of Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Not sure what's more impressive, the 12 mile tempo effort or the coffee to poo ratio!

Nice weeks work.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and AMK running the first mile of a session faster than prescribed.
    Great week. Glad you like the fuelcell as much as me.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and AMK running the first mile of a session faster than prescribed.
    Great week. Glad you like the fuelcell as much as me.

I just seen next week's long run.
    Suffice to say, it won't be done faster than prescribed. And I'll be wearing the Next %.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

This week, from wearing the 4% midweek and the Fuelcells on Sat - the quads felt fine.
    Could be the shoes or it could be me getting used to the sessions - or both.
    Glad I clarified that :)

Great week A, I think it's a combination of the shoes and doing 2 main sessions a week (as opposed to 3/4). Those shoes do make you go faster but they also save your legs big time. Recovery is a key reason for wearing them. Having 4 easy(ish) day running would also help

Having seen your long run for next week, I'm betting your quads will be sore after that one :P

Monday: I've a week off work this week, sound in the knowledge that I'd be doing nothing and going no where. Heaven after a couple of hectic months in work.

Parked at Whites Gate and ran down to the Khyber, listening to Americas Irelands greatest sports hero on RB - (joking about his twang)
    Being an ex Metro head myself, I've met him a few times, and he lives down the road - the stories are legendary, I do think he is perhaps Irelands greatest ever sports person.

Anyway, the area around the Khyber was busy with people up & down the 2 hills I use, so had to wait and nearly alternate which hill I'd use.

12 Hill sprints today - very much controlled, with walk back recoveries.

Back to the car then for 7.66 miles.

Tuesday: out about ten'ish - ran down to the park, was going to go back home along the canal, but met a running buddy doing her cooldown - so ran a mile or so with her - back home then.

7.1m @ 8.38 pace

Went out to the War memorial Gardens with Mrs AMK and the Madra - had a lovely coffee and Brownie in the lashing sleet, sitting on a grass verge.

Dont you just love Ireland in the spring!

Had a review with Coach - all going well on both sides - some of the paces that he's talking about are scary, but when I see the way the sessions are planned and how the all connect up - it makes perfect sense and gives me a strong confident feeling that what we are doing will work.

Having this trust in the process is Gold.

Currently in a 'super base' phase, probably as fit as I've been aerobically, and going to get fitter, then faster. Then we'll start on a Marathon plan for Berlin (fingers crossed) - with a backup for San Sebastian.

I done a couple of workouts as Pilates isn't on this week. I done a Myrtil Routine, some Glute work and also Scullions Abs workout - (he's so weak at them its unreal for an Olympic athlete)

Wednesday: Session Day. 20mins@6 / 10mins@5.55 / 2x5mins@5.50.

So after last weeks 2x20min's - the midweek tempos start to get broken down again, but faster.
    Knowing that there's a progression & rational to these is helpful for the overthinkers like me!

The guidance was to try to run the paces - just 'cos you can run quicker, it doesn't mean you should. (This is something that Luke always said as well).

The route was the 2mile North Road/Chesterfield loop.

20min warm up with Strides and was off.
    I was wearing the Fuel Cell's again - I really love these shoes - I wanted to see how they performed at faster than MP.

The 1st 20min stint was 5.56/6.02/5.58 and 6.02 for the last bit - I had a 5 min recovery back to the CK Gates.

The next 10min stint was on the same loop - the 1st mile beeped in 5.52 (goal 5.55) and the next 4 odd mins was in 5.55.
    Another 5 min recovery.

The recovery paces aren't set - but its mad to be running at 8 min miles and feel like its just above walking pace.

The 1st 5min set had me a little worried halfway through - I was finding 5.50 difficult, but found my rhythm half way through - finished ok despite the crowds down by the Aras. 3 min recovery to the triangle on the North Road.
    For the 2nd 5 min, I went down the North Road to avoid the crowds and make it a good 2+ miles to the car to avoid shortening the cooldown (it was lashing at this stage).
    This rep felt very good - the downhill drag helped a lot but was still avoiding walkers, dogs on extendable leads, cyclists......
    this rep was 5.47. (goal 5.50)

20 mins back to the car - wet, but happy with the session.

13.2 miles in total - a decent volume session.

Thursday: Rest day.
    No Pilates on again, so repeated the routine from during the week with the Myrtl (this is so good for people of a certain age!! ) - Scullys 2nd Abs session and a Glute workout.

I'm going to reduce the Pilates to once per week as I was finding it a bit tough to balance everything (and tiring overall) - I'll do the shorter workouts as an alternative to the 2nd class.

Hung a coat rack today - the week wasn't entirely lost :)

• Advertisement

How's the cumulative fatigue A? You're probably running bigger sessions than you have in a long time, at faster paces than before and stringing these together week after week. I'm not hearing of any signs of struggle. What's the key? Recovery runs slowed right down? Better sleep/nutrition? I'm pretty sure my body would be falling apart by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I'm pretty sure my body would be falling apart by now!

Your tights would hold it together........

How's the cumulative fatigue A? You're probably running bigger sessions than you have in a long time, at faster paces than before and stringing these together week after week. I'm not hearing of any signs of struggle. What's the key? Recovery runs slowed right down? Better sleep/nutrition? I'm pretty sure my body would be falling apart by now!

I'm kinda used to them from many many Daniel's training plans over the years. I was certainly more fatigued with the previous coach as that was high intensity, whereas this is a very manageable intensity.
    I'm also very much on board with the approach, the endurance approach certainly suits me.

You'll notice my easy day's are always in the 8's, never 7's.
    I'll happily run 8.30's now, whereas in the past I'd push a tad faster. So the recovery is happening there.
    No real fatigue, so I'm fine for the 2 sessions.

Friday: A midweek trip over to the War Memorial Gardens (Drinking coffee in the sleet......) did show up a path I'd never seen before - so took a trip over there today to find out more about it.
    It leads to a bridge over the Chapelizod bypass into Liffey Gaels GAA pitch - there you go.

Legs in a good place today but the stomach was a bit iffy later on - My wife reckoned it was due to me thinking about my big workout on Sunday (I get dicky tummys before races too - my wife calls it my detox time as I really do clear my system TMI - I know....I know)

However - the workout wasn't occupying my mind that much - I reckon it was something I ate on Wed/Thurs.

I wanted to run 65 mins as well for CF ('65 roses' day) and managed that nicely - just having to run 20 yards past the car to do it.

7.93 miles 8.12 pace (65 mins)

Saturday Session: 2mWU / 10m at 6.15 / 2 CD.

The dog done its best to make this a challenging workout by getting me up at 3.30 so he could clear his system (what a house I have.......) - took me a while to go back to sleep, so my plan of getting up at 7 was gone.
    I finally got up abut 8.30 and the tummy was in overdrive again - without the help of coffee.
    I thought about canning the workout until Sunday, but went with the thought process of seeing how the warmup went before deciding.

Finally got out about 10.50 - I was wearing the Next% for the 1st time since Bohermeen in March 2020 - what a weird shoe - I forgot how odd these feel.
    I brought the NB Fuel Cells in the car just in case.

On the warm up I was thinking of all the excuses I had to either not do the run or do a bad run or do half a good run :) - not a good place mentally to be in.

Then I thought about flipping it all on its head - Wouldn't it be good to do a great workout despite all the excuses.
    Wouldn't it be great to do probably the best workout of your running career while not 100%.
    Wouldn't it be great to bank this session in your mind for the next time you feel like this.
    After all - if I had a race today - I couldn't put it off til tomorrow.

I done my strides and felt super confident.

Mile 1 from CK gate - down the OS and onto the Furze - felt like I was jogging. The coach gave guidance to run the 1st mile at 6.25'ish and run into it - but seriously, I felt like I was cruising and it took me to purposely slow down from 6 min miles to have the 1st mile beep in 6.13.

The next 2 miles were ok - 6.16 and 6.13 - I was cruising down the North Road feeling good - mile 4 in 6.04 - $h1t - put the brakes on Alan - too fast.
    Mile 5 was in 6.13 and then I turned up Chesterfield - the breeze was meant to be 9 mph - but it felt so much stronger - I turned upto the zoo car park and back onto the North road. Mile 6 was 6.20 and mile 7 was 6.18 - my 2 slowest miles of the day.
    One I turned off the North Road - the effort levels dropped again and I decided to not go back up Chesterfield - so turned backdown C;'Field and towards the Polo grounds - Mile 8 was 6.14 and I was recovering. Mile 9 was a net downhill and resulted in a faster paced mile of 6.01, before finishing on the Chapelizod Road in 6.12.

Quite happy with that - 62.07 mins for a 10 miler in training. And a mental memory to use again.

2m cool down back to the car - happy out!

14.3 miles total

Sunday: nice paced run in the PP mostly on grass.

7.5m at 8.20 pace.

58 miles for the week.

Down week this week coming with no midweek session and a light'ish weekend session.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Super stuff A, you'll soon be telling us a story of how you ran sub 60 in a training run

Excellent stuff A.

If it makes you feel any better I do the same "detox" pre race... Not so much for sessions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

How do you find the NB fuelcells? I have a pair but am unsure about them. Have only ran in them a couple of times but have found them to be a bit “wild”. Zero grip if it’s wet/damp and near impossible to take a corner at speed in them.

How do you find the NB fuelcells? I have a pair but am unsure about them. Have only ran in them a couple of times but have found them to be a bit “wild”. Zero grip if it’s wet/damp and near impossible to take a corner at speed in them.

I love them (the TC version) - but not yet wore them in damp conditions.

They are the only shoe that I get the 'cheat' feel from bar the Next%/4%.
    I do think they are best from HM up - maybe a bit too 'soft & squishy' for faster stuff - but ideal for MP I think.

Ironically, my major grip with the Endorphin Speeds is their lack of grip on wet/damp surfaces. They don't have the 'pop' that other shoes have.

Right now I'd say the Fuel Cell are my fav shoes - but yet to try them in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Some serious work going on here. Some of the sessions and paces are eye watering to me!!!

That 10 mile @ 6:15 in particular is very impressive.

The new approach is working really well for you obviously.

• Advertisement

Some serious work going on here. Some of the sessions and paces are eye watering to me!!!

That 10 mile @ 6:15 in particular is very impressive.

The new approach is working really well for you obviously.

Ahem...........it was 6.12

Advertisement