Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Worth an update.

Monday 11th: 7miles at 8min/mile.

Virtually niggle free.
    Enjoyed it - listened to John Travers on RBeans - never heard him being interviewed before. Very interesting guy.
    Came to the sport late (as part of his Gaisce in 5th year).

And another thing..............

You used to be able to log on after 2 weeks and catch up in 5 mins.
    Now its like 2014 all over again! - all we need is Krusty & Dublin Runner to remake their logs, throw in a bit of TRR & DrQ and its the good old days again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

John Travers.
    Top fella our John :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Nice one on the nigglefreeness A.

And definitely agree on the forum. Nice to see. Long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

The place has never been the same since Tales from the Tub stopped! For the newbies who never had the pleasure, here's a taste Hot Salty Balls Part Deux

p.s. nice to see an almost niggle free run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Listened to that podcast myself this morning, quite enjoyed it, a good bit of banter from him!

Good to hear your almost niggle free:)

• Advertisement

The place has never been the same since Tales from the Tub stopped! For the newbies who never had the pleasure, here's a taste Hot Salty Balls Part Deux

p.s. nice to see an almost niggle free run!

First time seeing his log. Looks like a classic read. You dont see tales like that these days! Apart from maybe TbL....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Yeah I thought it was a good listen. No frills or airs or graces about him was there. Some talent. Would love to see him get a QT for Tokyo.

First time seeing his log. Looks like a classic read. You dont see tales like that these days! Apart from maybe TbL....

Hahaha was thinking the same! Read some of it, hilarious...will read some more later, I really should be getting some work done:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Hahaha was thinking the same! Read some of it, hilarious...will read some more later, I really should be getting some work done:rolleyes:

Easy knowing he ran for Tallaght AC, the language outta him........

OOnegative wrote: »
    Easy knowing he ran for Tallaght AC, the language outta him........

Ah yeah cos all ye culchies speak ever so proper:rolleyes:

Just cos I'm little doesn't mean I'm not feisty... Us Tallaght heads were brought up to stick up for ourselves in whatever is way needed/legal :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ah yeah cos all ye culchies speak ever so proper:rolleyes:

Just cos I'm little doesn't mean I'm not feisty... Us Tallaght heads were brought up to stick up for ourselves in whatever is way needed/legal :p

Me speak proper, ya must be joking!!!

I once asked a lad from Tallaght who I had arrested what “illegal” was?

His response,with a grin on his face, had me in stitches “It’s a sick burd officer”.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Me speak proper, ya must be joking!!!

I once asked a lad from Tallaght who I had arrested what “illegal” was?

His response,with a grin on his face, had me in stitches “It’s a sick burd officer”.

Hahaha love it! Ye defo can't beat our sense of humour:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hahaha love it! Ye defo can't beat our sense of humour:P

Once it's kept verrrryyyy simple....

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Once it's kept verrrryyyy simple....

HAHAHA really???? coming from a Northsider...

Ps you'd think you'd know better having actually met me:rolleyes:

Defo worth a read - some superb performances down through the years.
    His biggest claim to fame was coaching me for about 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Worth an update.

Monday 11th: 7miles at 8min/mile.

Virtually niggle free.
    Enjoyed it - listened to John Travers on RBeans - never heard him being interviewed before. Very interesting guy.
    Came to the sport late (as part of his Gaisce in 5th year).

And another thing..............

You used to be able to log on after 2 weeks and catch up in 5 mins.
    Now its like 2014 all over again! - all we need is Krusty & Dublin Runner to remake their logs, throw in a bit of TRR & DrQ and its the good old days again.

Stazza too for a bit of spice 🀣

TbL

Stazza too for a bit of spice ��

TbL

He hasn't gone away you know...

Stazza too for a bit of spice ��

TbL
    healy1835 wrote: »
    He hasn't gone away you know...

I listened to a Podcast in which he was a guest.
    The topic was on Marathon training and I'm going to give it another listen and take notes.
    The man knows what he's talking about. (Ask Aoife Cooke!)

I listened to a Podcast in which he was a guest.
    The topic was on Marathon training and I'm going to give it another listen and take notes.
    The man knows what he's talking about. (Ask Aoife Cooke!)

He's on 3 epsiodes altogether I think. Good listen alright

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

An interesting character alright. Must check it out and see where he's at. Still waiting for the book/play/film though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

Murph_D wrote: »
    An interesting character alright. Must check it out and see where he's at. Still waiting for the book/play/film though!

I see he’s coaching about 20 people I follow on Strava. From what I see he’s charging for coaching and has over 250 people in his Stazza stable group on strava, most of them I’d imagine paying him for his service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

I see he’s coaching about 20 people I follow on Strava. From what I see he’s charging for coaching and has over 250 people in his Stazza stable group on strava, most of them I’d imagine paying him for his service.

He's also got some top class athletes on his books (if it is the same person of course, which I think it is)

Duanington wrote: »
    He's also got some top class athletes on his books (if it is the same person of course, which I think it is)

Yep, a couple of very fast guys from our club who I helped win a team medal in DCM last time out ;) are working with him and they're pretty positive about the training.

The general layout of his plans looks appealing to me. Not dissimilar to aspects of the Jack Daniels 2Q plans. There's usually a pretty big midweek workout in there, something that I would not always have the opportunity to fit in.

healy1835 wrote: »
    Yep, a couple of very fast guys from our club who I helped win a team medal in DCM last time out ;) are working with him and they're pretty positive about the training.

The general layout of his plans looks appealing to me. Not dissimilar to aspects of the Jack Daniels 2Q plans. There's usually a pretty big midweek workout in there, something that I would not always have the opportunity to fit in.

Yeah, but you'd 2 2 sessions plus a Long Run - whereas JD includes the session in the long run - so its horses for courses.

But - yeah - his plan is very similar to JD / Tergat/ Tinman - i.e. 2 big sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I'm also being coached by him (not a top class athlete) and find him quite good. A quirky character it must be said, but I get his humour

Treviso wrote: »
    I'm also being coached by him (not a top class athlete) and find him quite good. A quirky character it must be said, but I get his humour

Your log is about to get more attention..... Lol

The last running update was about 100 posts back :)

Tuesday:

Nothing much to report - just under 6 miles at lunch time - 7.52 pace. Pilates in the evening.
    Niggle is much much improved.

Wednesday:
    Another niggle free run - think its back to something approaching normal.
    Legs were tired from Pilates.

A gentle jaunt to the PP and some progressive strides.

7m / 8.07 pace

Thursday
    Took the opportunity to wear the Endorphin Speeds - a lovely shoe it must be said - but a bit slippy in the damp/wet patches.
    Done a progressive run down to the PP and up around the North Road / Chesterfield.

Mile 1 in 7.30 was a good sign.
    then went 7.13 / 6.42 / 6.30/ 6.28 / 6.23 / 6.17

Just over 2 miles home for a cool down (7.22/7.16 !!)

Very happy with the run and how I felt afterwards.

Just dont wear dark grey socks when showing off your nuuu schuuu's.

Friday:
    Nice recovery run in a new pair of Asics Novablast.
    My new favourite daily trainer.

Blue socks today. Same online bullying. #feedingthetrolls.

4,8m / 8.20 pace

Saturday:
    Session - After a longish tempo midweek - I felt something short and sharp would be a good compliment - so went with 10x400.
    Went into it thinking it would be a piece of pi$$ - I had done something similar a few weeks ago at a faster pace (76's v todays planned 80 secs).

How wrong I was.
    Felt woeful on the warm up jog down to the Furze Road - I blame the lack of alcohol.
    I done the 10 reps from post to post on the Furze.

The wind was against me on the 1st and every subsequent rep - a stiff breeze too.
    1st one felt terrible, next one felt ok (tail wind) - and so it went for the next 8.

I wanted to do something different after 6 s it was tough - but I felt that I'd been doing that too much since September - changing things when it got tough - so I persevered.
    I didn't care if the pace dropped - I was going to finish them.

Reps were
    81/78/82/80/81/79/80/79/81/81

So quite happy with this off 1min walk recovery.

What I learned from this session was:
    (1) I'm not as fit as I think I am.
    (2) I've been ignoring these intense reps.
    (3) I need to learn how to hurt again in sessions.

8.4 miles total.

Sunday:

Legs felt tired from the 400's, so was waiting to see how this run went.
    I was prepared to do 10 miles as I didn't want to push it due to the niggle last week.

Ran down to the PP and done a lap of the park, coming home via Castleknock village.

12m / 7.47 pace.

A good run - happy with the weeks training.

54 miles for the week.

Spent some time looking at different plans this week - I purchased a Marathon plan from Derek Hawkins and a 10k plan from Johnny Mellor - more so to get ideas for structure & sessions.
    Some really good ideas in the Hawkins plan that I'll look to incorporate.

From a 10k perspective - I like the look of this - https://training4endurance.co.uk/running/10k-running-plans/10k-training-plan-elite/ -
    but also the JD one is also tried and trusted for me.

So this year will probably be;

Jan-April: Back to 10k type sessions

Been looking again at the 3 plans that I currently like (JD/Johnny Mellor/ training4endurance) and thinking about the next few months.

I dont want to do progressive workouts that have me peaking at a time when theres no races - so I'm taking it in 6 week blocks - taking from each of the 3 plans above.
    I do really like the Johnny Mellor plan - but not going to follow it and peak for nothing.
    As Scullion said in todays podcast - Fitness Meets Opportunity.

The only thing I want to do is follow a 2 week structure to get multipaces in.

Week1: Long Temp / Short Intervals / Long Run
    Week2: Short Tempo / Long Intervals / Long Run.

I done 'week 1' this week with the Progressive run on Thursday and 400's on Sat.

I'll do this for 6 weeks and then reassess.

Really excited about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

This is basically how my training goes for a large amount of the year.

• Advertisement

The only thing I want to do is follow a 2 week structure to get multipaces in.

Does this mean all easy long runs for you AMK and none with "stuff"?

Advertisement