Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Does this mean all easy long runs for you AMK and none with "stuff"?

For the next 6 weeks, yes.
    Provisio is that I might include a long tempo in a LR.

Or change the entire plan tomorrow :)

MY BAD wrote: »
    This is basically how my training goes for a large amount of the year.

Genius in its simplicity!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

For the next 6 weeks, yes.
    Provisio is that I might include a long tempo in a LR.

Or change the entire plan tomorrow :)

There'll be a log update tomorrow saying you're now coached by TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

There'll be a log update tomorrow saying you're now coached by TbL

Can't wait to see the updates...

Monday - 35 minutes white socks and black runners split tempo

Tuesday - 8 miles in white socks and black runners easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

You might find Reed Fishers training from Tinman elite interesting

• Advertisement

Thanks for that!!

Monday 18th: Legs were a bit tired as I set out.
    2 sessions and a long run between Thurs to Sunday, after a period of less intense running - left its mark.

just under 7 miles - with about half on grass.

Threw in some strides - 7x20 seconds - trying to progress the pace on each one.

6.8m at 8.20 pace.

Tuesday:
    Busy day in work, so didn't get to Pilates - I'll do the recording on Wednesday.

Went out for my session about 4.30. - Plan was for a 'short tempo' - so strides / 3m Tempo at 6.10-6.15 / 4x40 secs.

Just under 3m to the CK Gate - including the strides - done a bit of stretching and set off.
    My route was going to be the 2m loop on North Road, turning at the triangle, back to C'Field - but it was bucketing down - so didn't fancy running with the rain in the face - it was depressing enough as it was.

I went down the North Road, aiming to finish at at the turn after the zoo.
    I dont mind the slight downhill nature of this - its not a time trial and I've done numerous tempos on this route previously - so the compare I look for is in terms of how I felt, the effort etc.

The last attempt at a 3m tempo on this route, I felt terrible - the effort felt like 5k effort for the most part - so I had a conservative target of 6.15's for this attempt.

Felt good setting off - wearing the zoom flys for the grip in the wet.
    Was really surprised when the 1st mile beeped at 6.03 - it felt slower, controlled almost!
    Mile 2 again felt good - at a 6.01.
    During the 3rd mile - I dont know if its because you know the end is near or you just get knackered, but the last 0.5m was starting to bite.
    I checked the watch and seen I was at 5.47 pace for the current mile!!

Backed off the pace a bit and finished out mile 3 in 5.53.

3m Tempo in just under 18 mins.
    Quite happy with this, given the conditions.

I took a few mins recovery and then started into the 4x40 secs off 1min.
    It was absolutely bucketing down at this stage and visibility was low ahead - so was hoping there were no runners or dog walkers coming towards me as I done these u C'Field.

The aim on these was faster than 5k pace -so about 5.15's - got there or there about.

3m home felt good too.
    Took a lot of confidence from this session.

total: 9.7 miles (ave 7.11pace)

Whenever I delve into the training of the Pro's - either with TinMan Elite or NAZ who do a good job on the Socials - or even listening to Marty Hehir / Noah Droddy from the Marathon Project race - the key thing is consistency.

There's no mad workouts or crazy tempos - its just consistent 'decent' training.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Whenever I delve into the training of the Pro's - either with TinMan Elite or NAZ who do a good job on the Socials - or even listening to Marty Hehir / Noah Droddy from the Marathon Project race - the key thing is consistency.

There's no mad workouts or crazy tempos - its just consistent 'decent' training.

The greatest take you can get from Elite training.

The sessions are not as important as people want to believe, some of it is down to coaches wanted to tout there own skills or market themselves, other is athletes wanting a silver bullet but the key to success is for many athletes is not what you do in a particular block but stringing it together day after day, month after month and year after year. Most of that is simply a box ticking exercise of runs, supplementary work etc. Its not glamourous which is why it is largely overlooked.

Wednesday: A few miles down to the park and back.
    Was a bit mucky out there - on the way back there were 2 dog walkers in conversation on the path - dogs on extendable leads - I went to the grass verge to avoid the dogs and ended up taking a tumble, knocking my elbow on the concrete.

Took all my restraint not to react.

6.5miles - 8.10 pace

Thursday:
    Short one today - in advance of pilates, I done a 2m WU - some strides - short cool down.

My diaphragm cramped like crazy in Pilates (like a series of bad stitches) ! - Must get back into the habit of twice per week.

Friday:
    Todays session was 3x1m at about 5k'ish pace with a 2 min recovery + 4x40secs off 1min.

The thought process was to work on speed endurance - I kept the pace to what I 'think' my current 5k is (17.45 / 5.45 per mile).
    The route was a fair one that included the OS/Furze Road, then onto the 2m loop up Chesterfield and across to the North Road, back onto Chesterfield.

Mile 1 was 5.46 pace - happy with that - felt controlled.
    Mile 2 was 5.46 pace - Happy
    Mile 3 was 5.43 pace - a good finish.

4x40 seconds up & down the furze - al sub 5 pace.
    Wore the Endorphins for this - still a bit slippy in places, but a nice shoe.
    Still think I prefer the ZoomFly 3.

Happy with that workout - short and sweet.

9miles total.

Saturday:
    Legs were tired for this - so kept it handy - went out for 4miles recovery - but perked up and felt good, so changed route midway.

7.2m 8.10 pace.

Sunday:
    Was a bit cold on Sunday - so wrapped up well, stuck on the Nova Blasts and off I went. I knew my route in advance, so just zoned out.
    Legs felt very good today.

Was listening to Ciara Mageean on 2nd Captains (I had heard her previously on OTB) - but this was heartbreaking. She had just heard the news of Jerry's passing a few hours previously, so this was raw.
    Beautiful but raw.

14miles - 7.28 pace.

A good weeks training.

58 miles for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Wore the Endorphins for this - still a bit slippy in places, but a nice shoe.
    Still think I prefer the ZoomFly 3.

:o

Monday:
    Easy paced run, with 6x20sec strides.

7.6 miles

Tuesday: Session: Long Tempo - 5 mile Tempo

Was initially going to do this on Wednesday, but got a window for it on Tuesday evening as some late meetings were cancelled.
    In hindsight - probably should have left it until Wednesday and taken an extra days recovery.

In keeping with my new routine - todays session was a long tempo - so I wanted to run a straight tempo (not an alteration / or a progression).
    I was going to keep the pace at 6.20's - as it turned out, I wouldn't have been able for any faster.

Ran down to the PP and started near the Gate - I knew that the entire loop would be close to 5 miles, so I'd be working on the 2nd half of the run.
    From the first few mins, I knew it would be tough, I considered binning the run and leaving til Wednesday - but ego pigheadedness jumped in the way and said carry on.

Turning at Garda HQ up the North Road, theres a little rise that nearly wiped me as it also came with a strong head wind. $hit - this will be tough I was saying.

Worked it up to the top of the North Road - by the end, I was on fumes and delighted when the watched beeped.

Pace: 6.20/ 6.16/ 6.19/ 6.14/ 6.18

Total 9.8miles.

Wednesday:
    The intention was to do Tuesdays Pilates class today - so done 5 miles easy recovery.

Never got around to doing the pilates.

5.1m / 8.34 pace.

Thursday:
    Easy run to the PP and back - threw in 7x20sec strides on the Furze road.

7.3m

Friday: Session - Short Intervals: 3x(30/60/90) Khyber hill res.

A good sign that Spring is around the corner is that I can do a set of reps in the PP after work in the daylight.

The short intervals would be Hill reps on the Khyber.
    3(30/60/90) is one I had done previously and really works you.

The 90sec rep is criminal and feels like 5 mins!!

I was working hard from the start - trying to keep the jog down recoveries as close to 8 min/miles as possible.
    Kinda worked out that the recovery was 30 secs longer than the rep - a nice symmetry to it.

One of those workouts that when you finish - you know you've done a good session as the lungs hurt and the glutes and hamstrings have that little hint that Saturday will be sore!

7.4miles

Saturday:
    Poxy weather awaited us on the weekend - Saturdays run brought me down the Canal, into the park and home - I actually enjoyed it.
    Was wet, cold and quiet - but felt 100 times better after it.

7m / 8.15 pace

Sunday:
    Another rain laden day - I set off a bit later than normal with no route in mind.
    I was well layered from the conditions.

Didn't look at the watch at all, but knew I was going at a decent clip - 2nd half was faster than the 1st despite it being uphill - but the tailwind helped!

Brutal weather - but another very enjoyable run.

13.5m / 7.31 pace

So the week finished on 58 miles.

The month finished with me running every day and clocking up 234 miles.
    Not oo bad when I consider I had a niggle for about 8-9 days in there that reduced my mileage.

Onto Feb!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Your post on Insta is shows how impressive your training has been for January. Going well, great consistency.

Your post on Insta is shows how impressive your training has been for January. Going well, great consistency.

You now how us runners are never happy.

I wish I hadn't taken my foot of the gas with sessions back in December.
    Despite the consistency, I dont feel as fit as I want to be - if that makes sense.
    Part of me feels that I wasted a fair few weeks.

I certainly feel a lot better for the last 3 weeks and the motivation is there - just need to make sure I balance the quality with the quantity and not over do it.

Shows how busy Boards is these days - I'm back on page 2!

Monday:
    Easy paced run to the PP & back - pure vanilla.

7.1m - 8.20 pace.

Tuesday:
    I done the live Pilates class at lunch time - so legs were quite tired that evening.
    Done just over 5 miles with 6 strides.

5.1m

Wednesday:
    Legs still a bit tired from Pilates - so I knew that this session would be difficult.

In line with my "kinda Plan" - today was Short tempo day - so I was doing a 15min TH run - with some hill reps at the end.

I had figured somewhere from 5.50-5.55 would do for TH pace and also knew that as the time went on - it would become a harder effort than TH as my HR would be close to max - but that was ok as part of this is also to learn how to hurt again on the longer sessions.

Started off with a 2m run down to the PP - wearing the Endorphin Speeds in the rain - just to re-test them out - not too bad on the warm up.

6x20sec strides informed me that this TH would be hard as my body was resisting the faster pace.

Set off on my usual down the North Road route, I had planned on using the hill either in the Peoples park or By Garda HQ for the reps.

Mile 1 felt tough but I was surprised to be holding 5.50's pace - breathing felt ok too - so kept that going.
    Mile 2 was getting tough as I went around the triangle - plenty of people about to dodge - at one stage pace crept to 6.10 pce - so I fought to bring it back down.
    I noticed that the Endorphins are fine for cornering, but while running in a straight line on a damp road - I can feel the midfoot move slightly.

Mile 2 beeped at 5.53 and I knew there was the bones of 3 mins left - at this stage, the legs were screaming at me - the pilates yesterday taking its toll and the faster pace at a longer effort was telling.
    But this is why I was doing it - to help find the 'Hurt' again.

By the end - it did feel like the end of a 5k race - minus the crowds, finish line, handshakes, clock, foot in the center............but you get my meaning.
    The last 2 mins or so were hard - but finished just shy of Garda HQ - averaged 5.53'ish for the 15 mins.

Took a 2-3 min recovery and started the hill reps - the Gate was closed in the Peoples Park - so set off from the Gate and went upto Garda HQ.
    Never knew that the hill was so steep as I'm normally coming the other way at the end of a Tempo - no wonder the tempos felt so easy :)

5x30 seconds with a jog back recovery - felt weirdly strong on these. Pace varied fro 5.15 to 5.25.

4 and a bit miles home - I like these long cool down recoveries - adds miles to the week on tired legs.

11 miles total.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

5x30 seconds with a jog back recovery - felt weirdly strong on these. Pace varied fro 5.15 to 5.25.

4 and a bit miles home - I like these long cool down recoveries - adds miles to the week on tired legs.

11 miles total.

Nice session. I like longer cool downs too and the feeling of building a little mileage on tired legs. I really look forward to the next easy day. How are you finding adding surges after a workout (5x30) and longer cool downs on cumulative fatigue? the opposite of building volume on easy miles only. Does your recovery extend to nutrition, foam rolling etc or just get out and run easy next day?

Nice session. I like longer cool downs too and the feeling of building a little mileage on tired legs. I really look forward to the next easy day. How are you finding adding surges after a workout (5x30) and longer cool downs on cumulative fatigue? the opposite of building volume on easy miles only. Does your recovery extend to nutrition, foam rolling etc or just get out and run easy next day?

I like the idea of the surges after a workout, but sometimes make excuses for not doing them.
    The longer cool downs seem fine on the day - but the next day I do feel knackered.
    Kinda like when you run too fast on your long run - you feel you can do it, you feel great on it, you feel great after it - but the next week is hampered by it.
    So you need to be careful with it that you dont bury yourself too much.

My recovery schedule:
    After a workout/Longrun - I eat a Protein yoghurt (or a protein shake) right away, shower, then try to have something else to eat.
    I also take diorolyte afterwards - sometimes 2 - I find these magic!
    Magnesium at night.

I dont foam roll - but I need to do more.
    2 Pilates classes a week help with the ancillary stuff.

Thursday:

Legs were pretty tired for this - I thought about a rest day but felt a slowish run would do me better.
    3.7m - 8.20 pace.

Pilates in evening.

Friday:
    Easy paced run down the canal and back up through the Park.
    Done some strides in the Castleknock Hotel car park - its like a 400 track in there right now.

Strides were agressive today - usually do them progressive, but felt fantastic.

7.3 miles

Saturday: Session - Long Intervals - 3x8mins - 3m Steady undulating.

Decided to mix the long run & session today - Spurs playing at 11.30 on Sunday was the key decision (turns out it was 12 kick off) and then the Ireland game.

2.5m warm up - legs felt crap. Didn't do the strides as I felt they'd be a disaster :)

The plan for the 8 mins was to run the 1st mile at 6.05-6.10 pace and then 5.45'ish for the balance. - 2 min recovery.

All 3 worked out very well - its a good tough session on its own. as its about 4miles in volume.
    opened it up a bit on the last one for 5.56 for the mile effort.

Took a couple of mins recovery - then set off from Wellington Monument, up Military Hill, S Bends, Upper Glen Road, into the Glen and then back out.
    Miles were 6.56 / 6.27 / 6.42

3 and a bit miles home - legs feeling great.

2 hour walk with the dog in the afternoon - legs felt so tired. Maybe too much today!!

13.4miles

Sunday:

Behaved on Sat night and up for a run - I was quite ok with doing anything from 6 to 11 miles - depending on how the legs were.
    Legs felt very good on Sunday morning.

Back down the canal, into the park and up Chesterfield.

10.8 miles - 8.02 pace.

Good weeks training: 58.5 miles and 2 good Pilates sessions.

4 weeks into my 6 week block and already feeling great - Building nicely.

So right now - I'm super motivated, I'm unsure why - I guess its because I can see the benefits of the structured 4 weeks training just gone.

I'm consistently looking up running threads on various running forums - Lets run (rubbish) - reddit - RW UK - Fetch etc for sub 2.50 and sub 2.45 raining logs. I guess this shows me where my main motivation is.

Its not in the 5k/10k area but in the marathon as that is where my interest is and where I love training for.
    I dont look up anything regarding sub 17 5km or sub 36 10km.

So - the thinking that my training should be looking in that direction is fine - but there's lots of comments regarding building 5k speed and building 10k endurance etc - I think that I get both from Marathon training.

My 5m & 10m PB were set while Marathon training.
    The fittest I've been was last Jan/Feb - the first few weeks of JD marathon training.

I've ran my worst 5km/5m/10k/ training specifically for those events.

If Marathon training is what I love - the long sessions - then maybe that's what my next 6 week block will encompass?

I certainly want to be approaching Marathon training for an Autumn Marathon having hit certain training milestones.
    Now is the time to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not sure I understand all that but I look forward to seeing how it goes. :)

I have managed 5k and HM PBs from dedicated plans (as well as M, obviously), but I understand where you're coming from as I certainly enjoy marathon training more - a lot more, compared to 5k. I think that certainly makes a difference in terms of looking forward to big sessions and the feeling and confidence you get from executing them.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Not sure I understand all that but I look forward to seeing how it goes. :)

I have managed 5k and HM PBs from dedicated plans (as well as M, obviously), but I understand where you're coming from as I certainly enjoy marathon training more - a lot more, compared to 5k. I think that certainly makes a difference in terms of looking forward to big sessions and the feeling and confidence you get from executing them.

I guess the above were musings about the next 6 week phase that I'll start soon.

Monday: Recovery run with a short 10min strength session with weights (lunges etc/ SLD )
    7m at 8.20

Tuesday:
    1 hour of Pilates at lunch time - with a few recovery miles afterwards.

5.3m at 8.16

Wednesday: Paint the fence / Wax on, Wax off.

Legs felt very good today - today was my 'Long Tempo' day - so one of my favourite runs of the 2 week cycle.

Out and into a steady effort from the off - getting it down to low 7's after a couple of miles.
    Breathing felt fine and legs felt strong, so just ran - it was so cold that I wasn't looking at the watch, but had a good gauge that I was doing MP effort.
    My plan was to do 10miles at a decent effort - getting down to MP for part of it.

By the turn at the Wellington Monument, I was feeling fantastic - Military hill, the upper glen road and the Furry Glen were swatted out of the way. I did feel that the pace & effort increased on the hills.
    Went down by the Furze and back up to Whites Gate at Farmleigh when the 10 miles beeped.

Happy with the effort and happy with the pace/HR.
    2miles cool down to home.
    Very happy with this run - Maybe I just need small tweaks for the next 6 week block.

12 miles total inc 10m in 6.41 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Monday: Recovery run with a short 10min strength session with weights (lunges etc/ SLD )
    7m at 8.20

Tuesday:
    1 hour of Pilates at lunch time - with a few recovery miles afterwards.

5.3m at 8.16

Wednesday: Paint the fence / Wax on, Wax off.

Legs felt very good today - today was my 'Long Tempo' day - so one of my favourite runs of the 2 week cycle.

Out and into a steady effort from the off - getting it down to low 7's after a couple of miles.
    Breathing felt fine and legs felt strong, so just ran - it was so cold that I wasn't looking at the watch, but had a good gauge that I was doing MP effort.
    My plan was to do 10miles at a decent effort - getting down to MP for part of it.

By the turn at the Wellington Monument, I was feeling fantastic - Military hill, the upper glen road and the Furry Glen were swatted out of the way. I did feel that the pace & effort increased on the hills.
    Went down by the Furze and back up to Whites Gate at Farmleigh when the 10 miles beeped.

Happy with the effort and happy with the pace/HR.
    2miles cool down to home.
    Very happy with this run - Maybe I just need small tweaks for the next 6 week block.

12 miles total inc 10m in 6.41 pace.

Wax on, Wax off.

Legs felt very good today

On top of your fake tan you’ve now taking to waxing your legs, jesus...:)

TbL

Thursday:
    Very busy in work recently - stressful busy.

Only managed a 3m shuffle today prior to Pilates.
    Pilates near killed me - haven't felt a burn in the legs like it for quite a while.
    Felt b0llixed afterwards.

3.25m/8.25 pace

Friday:
    8miles - along the canal and back into the park - trails weren't too bad in the park.
    6x20sec strides.

8miles total.

Saturday session: Short Intervals.

Decided on a Jack Daniels session for this - 2x4mins / 3x3mins / 4x2mins

Body felt tired on the warm up - but that's normal pre session.
    I had downloaded the session into the watch - but didn't actually look at it - so when I started the 1st rep - I had no idea what pace to be running at (I didn't know the recovery time - if R was 1 min, then I'd have known it was a tempo / if R was 3 mins - then it was a harder effort).
    So I ran the 1st rep at TH pace - 5.55 - then seen that recovery was 3 mins - so I should have went faster.
    I also knew that although I ran at TH pace - the effort was much higher than that - it felt like a 5k'ish effort - it was also into the wind.

So - something was off. I considered listening to the body and canning the session - but decided to keep the reps at TH pace (5k effort) - but keep the recoveries honest (8'ish)

Session went as follows:
    4mins on: 5.55
    3 Off: 7.48
    4mins on: 5.54
    3 off: 7.50
    3mins On: 5.49
    2 Off: 7.45
    3 mins on: 5.54
    2 Off: 8.07
    3 mins on: 5.57
    2 off: 9.27 - wheels came off at this stage regarding the recoveries.

The 4x2mins was reduce to 3x2mins with 1min 'swear/curse' recovery.
    5.49/ 5.37/5.38

One of those workouts that just didn't go to plan - but I got a lot of good from it and think I salvaged a good session by not sticking to the paces and running the recoveries a little harder.

10 miles total.

Sunday:

So - when you do an effort on Saturday that felt very hard, and you know you've a long run in $hitty conditions on Sunday - what do you do??
    Yep - thats it - drink a bottle of wine yourself.

Got up and out on Sunday, knowing this was going to be a 'meh' run.
    Down the canal - into the park, down by Garda HQ - considered going over to the War memorial gardens for about 0.46 seconds - then didn't.
    Went home.

13 miles - 8.05 pace - but legs were very tired afterwards.

58.5 miles for the week

From Thursday's pilates class to now - just a general fatigue that I need to manage a bit better than I am.
    My last rest day was Christmas day - so over 7 weeks running every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Hard to balance the training with stressful work. I've learned the hard way. I always just assumed I could manage both....... I can't!

Wind speed on my 20 miler was 39.1 km/h. Thought to myself afterwards that it was the toughest wind I'd ran in since that day in the PP last year. Checked back on the activity... 39.1 km/h that day too :)

My next 6 week block is due soon, so I thought I'd jot down some current musings to both help me remember :), hold me somewhat accountable and of course give me something to change...................

Current 6 week block:
    Short Intervals / Long Tempo / Long Intervals / Short Tempo
    Main Focus on getting back into structured training.
    2 sessions + long run.

Next 6 week block:
    Priority: Strength (not speed)
    Build long run to 16 miles.
    Main Focus on paces from 10k to MP (but not 100% on these paces)
    Increase tempo runs by doing split tempos.
    TH paced runs / Alterations / progressions / MP efforts.
    Short hill sprints.

Probably bring the long run back to Saturdays and do 1 session / 1 long run with stuff to manage fatigue (with the 2 pilates sessions).

Note: This could change by tomorrow.

So this week gone was a step back week for me. Week 6/6 in my current block.

The 3 things I wanted from this week were;
    (1) Easy runs over 8 min/miles
    (2) MLR at 13 miles with Strides (13m is my current long run distance)
    (3) Weekend long run of 15 miles.

Monday: Parked down at Whites Road and ran on the trails - felt glorious.

7.5m at 8.30 pace

Tuesday:

Pilates at lunch time. - My neck & shoulder have been at me this week - probably should have given it a miss - but got through it.
    Back down to the PP again - I wore the Nike Reacts for the 1st time in a long time - kept mainly to the grass again.

5.7m at 8.05 pace

Wednesday: MLR
    Ran down to the park, legs feeling a bit 'meh' but once I got into the park, they started popping and I had to hold them back.
    Felt great going up the hilly side of the park - into and out of the glen and back to my now 'goto' strides location - the Castleknock Hotel Car Park :) - about 2 mins from my house.
    Its like a 400m track - 20sec strides down 1 side - walk jog across - same up - walk jog across & repeat.................

Legs felt good on the later strides - must do them more often on tired legs.

13m Total - 12m to the Hotel in about 7.30 pace.

Thursday: Shoulder/nexk in a jock - skipped Pilates and just done 3-4 miles recovery run.

4m at 8.43 pace (I paused my watch and didn't press start - so only 3 m showing.)

Friday: Easy plod down the canal and back home via the PP.

7.3m at 8.08 pace

Saturday: Long Run - given the weather I thought about putting this off til Sunday - but I'd be going out for a few miles anyway, so decided to just go do it.

For some variation, I ran my usual 13m route backwards, throwing in some different parts to make up the 2 miles to 15.
    The wind was bad in places, but I kept a good pace.

Made it through the 15miles - no bother apart from the breeze in places.

15m at 7.39 (1hr 54mins)

Sunday:
    Legs felt very ok when I got up - went out to a very busy PP and bumped into a girl I've ran with a few times (a Cru lady).
    Nice to chat after so many solo runs.

8.2m at 8.18 pace.

60m for the week.

So next week starts the next 6 week block - fairly in line with the structure that I laid out above.

The main aspect of this 6 weeks ahead is to work on LT and build my endurance (at pace) to a level (and pace) that I can take the following 6 week block on a bit.
    This is probably the most serious I've taken being self coached!!
    I find the 6 week blocks are good for my mentality and give me focus and accountability.

Onwards.

Where are you gonna get your LT pace from Alan? Jack Daniels?

• Advertisement

healy1835 wrote: »
    Where are you gonna get your LT pace from Alan? Jack Daniels?

Its a good question - So going on my interpretation of LT - its between 10k & 10m pace - so I'd say between 5.50-6.00 on a really good day - but more than likely between 5.55 and 6.05 today.

I've been doing LT work at 5.55 during the past year, but I'm not going to get hung up on the exact number - as it changes based on how you are on the day.

In this upcoming 6 week block, I'm trying to work on a realistic set of paces, rather than a aspirational ego driven set of paces - my workout paces will be;

Goal MP: 6.20 (current MP=???)
    Current HMP= 6.10-6.15
    Current Tempo=6.05-6.10
    Current 10k= 5.55-6.05

By the end of this block - I'll have a better idea of those paces and hopefully they will all have improved.

My 6 week block is informed by Daniels/NAZ and a podcast I listened to recently (4 times) ;) - from a guy most of us all know & love :p

Edit: My 6 week block is as per the above - but very much so an educated plan based on a lot of research and aspects of training that have improved me very quickly in past training (mainly Marathon training)

Advertisement