Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swine Flu Vaccination + general swine flu chat thread

191011121315»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bobbyhoskins

<MOD SNIP> Is there really any point in getting it at this point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

<MOD SNIP> Is there really any point in getting it at this point?

AFAIK, Yes.
    It hasn't gone away, and the more people get it the better the chance of an overall herd immunity developing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭WildBoots

AFAIK, Yes.
    It hasn't gone away, and the more people get it the better the chance of an overall herd immunity developing.

What proportion of the population needs to be vaccinated for herd immunity to be effective?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

WildBoots wrote: »
    What proportion of the population needs to be vaccinated for herd immunity to be effective?
    Obviously you'd have to check more reliable sources to confirm this, but wikipedia has a table with various threshold percentages for some illnesses. Not swine flu specifically though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

edit:

Here ya go (PDF file):
    http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/training/overview/pdf/eradicationhistory.pdf

Page 17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Has anyone any idea of the general vaccine uptake rates? My kids got theirs this week through the school scheme. I was surprised (or maybe not) at how few people got it.

I'm also interested in this actually, could never find out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 LoopyLaura

What e ver happened to the swine flu. We didn't have the first outbreak, then the scientists had us braced for a second outbreak, that did not occur either.

Thank God I never got the shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

LoopyLaura wrote: »
    What e ver happened to the swine flu. We didn't have the first outbreak, then the scientists had us braced for a second outbreak, that did not occur either.

Well, the second wave may or may not happen.

But if you would be ballsy enough to ignore a new strain of pandemic flu, in the hope that good fortune will see you through, then A) very few people in the medical community would take you seriously and B) you'd want to have your medical insurance in order.

Thank god you never got the shot? Why? Cos you'd have grown an extra ear or somethin?

Thank god you never got swine flu instead

And thank god that the strain didn't happen to be particularly virulent

And maybe pray to your god to make sure it doesn't mutate, cos that's still a possibility

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Well, the second wave may or may not happen..

well it was due 6 months ago.

But if you would be ballsy enough to ignore a new strain of pandemic flu, in the hope that good fortune will see you through, ..

Oh I'm ballsy enough, no need to worry there.
    then A) very few people in the medical community would take you seriously.

Like I care.

and B) you'd want to have your medical insurance in order.

Don't have medical insurance.
    Dave! wrote: »
    Thank god you never got the shot?

Thank god you never got swine flu instead

I never got either the shot or the flu.
    And thank god that the strain didn't happen to be particularly virulent

Oh but it was virulent, it cleaned out the health budget for billions.
    And maybe pray to your god to make sure it doesn't mutate, cos that's still a possibility

Shaking in my boots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

well it was due 6 months ago.

Oh I'm ballsy enough, no need to worry there.

Like I care.

Don't have medical insurance.

I never got either the shot or the flu.

Oh but it was virulent, it cleaned out the health budget for billions.

Shaking in my boots.

Well, the 2nd wave is expected april/may earliest. Bout 7 months later in Europe.

But thanks for your input. I'll make sure everyone is aware of your thoughts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Over 800 hospitalised, and 24 deaths. Statistically we were incredibly lucky- if we were hit in a similar manner to almost any other country- we'd have at least 3 times this level.

I have a sister who was hospitalised on a respirator in New Zealand, unable to breath, from Swine Flu.

We were hit by a different, weaker strain, than many other places- and there is an upswing beginning to be tracked on the radar (as evidenced by the two deaths last week- months after the previous fatalities).

Look at what happening in Australia and elsewhere.........

Well, the 2nd wave is expected april/may earliest. Bout 7 months later in Europe..

The second wave was expected last September/October.

But thanks for your input. I'll make sure everyone is aware of your thoughts.

Cheers.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Over 800 hospitalised, and 24 deaths.

Wait a minute, people were not even tested for swine flu, they were diagnosed according to symptoms, are you aware that thousands of people die from the normal flu every year???

Wait a minute, people were not even tested for swine flu, they were diagnosed according to symptoms, are you aware that thousands of people die from the normal flu every year???

People were tested- until the preponderance of cases were such that the vast majority of lab results were positive. There are always several different flu strains in circulation- the different variants of swine flu make up the bulk on this occasion.

I am fully aware that thousands of people die from regular flu every year- but thousands of younger people who very often may not have any underlying medical condition- do not. Normally flu targets the infirm, the very young and the very old. Swine flu discriminates in favour of a different demographic.

Why are you so antagonistic?

People were tested- until the preponderance of cases were such that the vast majority of lab results were positive.

As far as I am aware, patients were never tested in this manner.

I am fully aware that thousands of people die from regular flu every year- but thousands of younger people who very often may not have any underlying medical condition- do not.?

You name one young person with no underlying condition to have died from the swine flu.

I hate to see people being taken advantage of.

You name one young person with no underlying condition to have died from the swine flu.

Here ya go

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8145389.stm

The family didn't want the name released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

ok Laura, go take the conspiracy stuff elsewhere please.

this is a scientific discussion forum

any more unfounded crap and low level trolling will get you banned

How are you qualified to state that patients were not tested in this manner?
    According to the Irish times- lab testing occurred up to the point that GPs were swamped with positive results in July of last year. Article here

2 pregnant women with no underlying medical conditions, and one 18 year old guy are among the HSE statistics. They didn't release names.

How is offering people a vaccination taking advantage of them?

• Advertisement

Here ya go

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8145389.stm

The family didn't want the name released

No mention of age here.
    sam34 wrote: »
    ok Laura, go take the conspiracy stuff elsewhere please.

this is a scientific discussion forum

any more unfounded crap and low level trolling will get you banned

I am giving my opinions, I would prefer if you did not ridicule my views.
    How are you qualified to state that patients were not tested in this manner??

I have every right to have an opinion of my own. Your article merely backs up my point, people were diagnosed without being tested, hardly scientific, is it?
    2 pregnant women with no underlying medical conditions, and one 18 year old guy are among the HSE statistics. They didn't release names.

I'd like to know more about these cases. Why not release the names, I'm sure the family would not have objected, after all raising awareness would prevent unnecessary deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I am giving my opinions, I would prefer if you did not ridicule my views.

you have posted on a scientific discussion forum, yet what you have posted is merely inflammatory, insinuating, unfounded rubbish, and you are deliberately goading well-established and respected posters.

as i said, if you persist with it you will be banned.

you've been warned twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Em..."loopy".;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

New thread or raise the dead..

€990,000 for boy (16) who developed narcolepsy after receiving swine flu jab a decade ago
    https://www.independent.ie/news/990000-for-boy-16-who-developed-narcolepsy-after-receiving-swine-flu-jab-a-decade-ago-40136378.html

Not great timing for this to be settled, should have happened last year as planned or way earlier.

Advertisement