Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A plea to abolish the "thanks" system on this site

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Jmsg wrote: »

[...]

What are your thoughts on the matter? Is this a real imperative?

My thoughts on the matter is that I wouldn't turn up in a new place and start telling people how to run it after just 3 posts while trying to sound like I read at least 2 books last year, if not 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There are three people here who hit refresh on the main page all day hoping to get in on a new thread at the start.
    They make a stupid joke or abuse the original poster. Then they refresh the page checking how many thanks they got all day while checking for new threads to make stupid jokes on.

Four people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Four people.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

kneemos wrote: »
    There should be an unthank button to discourage the same gibberish that pops up in every single thread.

You can remove them.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Bring back +ive and -ive rep...then see where you are OP!

Or a dislike button. I'd be hitting that for the OP. Some absolute garbage in his or her post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I tend to thank anything I agree with, makes me laugh, educates me or sometimes if it's just responding to something I've said. I tend to overthank but it doesn't concern me just like my other addictions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

It is right to give thanks and praise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I tend to thank anything I agree with, makes me laugh, educates me or sometimes if it's just responding to something I've said. I tend to overthank but it doesn't concern me just like my other addictions.

+1.2753

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Jmsg wrote: »
    It's my take that the "thanks" system operant not only on this public form in particular but throughout the internet in general should be immediately disabled by those capable of doing so. The only function it serves is to align those with matching divisive ideological tendencies or to gain cheap approval.

For example, if a post which contained the highest degree of prejudicial/ideological bias possible despite the real value of it's content such as "woman/blacks = victim, man/whites = oppressor", this would be prone to the highest amount of likes, whereas a highly nuanced post taking a myriad of angles on a given issue would receive the lowest.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm immune to self-aggrandisement and wouldn't tend to habitually check and see if my posts are liked, however I can say I am very much conscious of my tendency towards doing so and the feature is only promoting the reverse kind of greater unconsciousness.

It seems to me to be no coincidence that this website has formed in the way it has as a a specifically Irish forum. I don't necessarily see other countries, even those comparable in size doing so. I don't think anyone will take it as a controversial or slanderous remark to say that communication on the ground in Ireland tends not lightly towards superficiality and conformity. It's really no surprise why. We don't speak our own native language relative to our ethnic heritage. This means there is always inherent within us a tendency to appeal to what is beyond our own capacity, looking for mere approval rather than internal coherency and consistency. It seems this as a compensation to this situation this public forum has emerged, and I believe it is something we should cherish most dearly. It's value however seems to be being compromised by the aforementioned feature, whatever amount of individual expression positively enabled through the anonymised circumstance being in equal measure stifled by the usual collectivist tendencies native to Ireland in it's current condition.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Is this a real imperative?

Someone's not getting enough thanks.

Why do you even care? It's so irrelevant. "A plea" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Can we get 100 Thanks for the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

sometimes I wish there was a thumbs down button.
    if you agree with a post thumbs up.
    if you disagree with a post thumbs down
    if you are neutral about a post do nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bring back the rep system! (now that was practically facebook before facebook became a swearword)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

8-10 wrote: »
    You’ve only just joined the site yesterday. Give it time FFS

I would put my house on it that he is a member of Boards.ie for years and that this is a second account that was created for the sole purpose of posting this so that he is not losing "Thank You's" on his main account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

This is just a clever ploy to get thanks. 19 people have been fooled so far. Your mind games aren't going to work on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

I totally overthank stuff but sometimes I feel awful if I see that someone has posted something and nobody thanked it, like they're being ignored. Obviously if I don't agree with it I won't thank it but I don't like to see people being left out :o

I'm also a shameless thanks whore so I love a good thanking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

How else are we to determine if posts that have walls of text are a worthwhile read?
    The more thanks a post get's the more likely you'll be to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Succubus_ wrote: »
    I totally overthank stuff but sometimes I feel awful if I see that someone has posted something and nobody thanked it, like they're being ignored. Obviously if I don't agree with it I won't thank it but I don't like to see people being left out :o

I'm also a shameless thanks whore so I love a good thanking :D

Me too. I feel sorry for apparently ignored but sensible posts.

I also sometimes, quite cheekily, thank a carded post - I know lock me up and throw away the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Without a thanks option to indicate agreement or support for a comment, we would be inundated with repetitions as posters voiced said opinion for themselves. You'll find the most ardent opposition to Thanks comes from those who don't like that all these Thanks are applauding a post contrary to their own view or perhaps putting them, usually rightly, under pressure to justify a statement or premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

alan1963 wrote: »

Only if it didn't change the ordering of the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm not going to pretend that I'm immune to self-aggrandisement

WTF does that mean

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    WTF does that mean

The act of enhancing or exaggerating your own power or influence. Used incorrectly by the OP, unfortunately, as Thanks are an enhancement, of a post, by others and not one's self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

One thing I like to do, but don’t do as often as I should, it thank somebody who disagrees with me politely.

If we all did that (and I don’t do it enough) would be a better place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

One thing I like to do, but don’t do as often as I should, it thank somebody who disagrees with me politely.

Has anyone ever done that here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

alan1963 wrote: »

No. That definitely creates cliques and if you can see who down voted even worse.

I used to think that way but when I did so, some time back, I was then ridiculed for agreeing with the sentiment of the post; which of course I didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

Without a thanks option to indicate agreement or support for a comment, we would be inundated with repetitions as posters voiced said opinion for themselves. You'll find the most ardent opposition to Thanks comes from those who don't like that all these Thanks are applauding a post contrary to their own view or perhaps putting them, usually rightly, under pressure to justify a statement or premise.

Says the fella who posts that’s it I’m out or something along those lines being smart or unwelcoming and having three people thank you on nearly every thread on after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

You should take your own advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Politics.ie did away with their thanks function recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I've seen some worthless threads in my time on boards but this one has to be rock bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Don't do that, it'd ruin some of the bants.

Advertisement