Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A plea to abolish the "thanks" system on this site

Options
1235»

Comments

wasnt the world a fine place when you could dislike something minor without petitioning for it to be removed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

You wrote a post with a dictionary and ended up saying nothing at all.........

I know which one is more irritating :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭worded

After tiring of a few pages of a post it’s a good way to ignore the unpopular posts that have no thanks and skim through and speed read the “good” ones.

Thanks qty can be a time management aid particularly if it’s a long post. There are only so many hours in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When username "YourTalkingBollox" thanks my post I wish they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If there wasn't a thanks button we would have an OP followed by the next 30 posts saying +1 (with most of them probably quoting the OP).
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I can never quite understand boards.ie? Are the 92 thanks of the OP agreeing that the thanks forum should be abolished or are they ironic? Its After Hours so I'll go with ironic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I thank any post that uses big words.
    People will think I understood it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

I thank posts that I agree with and I thank posts I disagree with. I also thanks posts that make me laugh or have a good point.

I also thank posts for no particular reason and for the heck of it.

I'd be striving for the title of Thank You Queen 2020.

It's nice to be nice so keep on thanking your fellow posters/posers I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Wibbs wrote: »
    A few years back someone in the know informed me that I give the most thanks of all posters.

I knew it! You're really Barry McGuigan, aren't you? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Wibbs wrote: »
    A few years back someone in the know informed me that I give the most thanks of all posters. I liked to hear that. :) I generally thank any post that I read twice that's funny/interesting/informative(triple points if it's something I was completely ignorant of), whether they agree with me and my outlook or not.

I think its a good idea around here to thank all posts that Wibbs has thanked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

my3cents wrote: »
    I can never quite understand boards.ie? Are the 92 thanks of the OP agreeing that the thanks forum should be abolished or are they ironic? Its After Hours so I'll go with ironic ?

Not much of a sample but I was being ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Totally agree to remove "thanks". Its probably here to quantify consensus, but to give a real example of forums here populated by fanatics like the Commuting & Transport, you post a complaint about a particular train or bus journey, immediately one of the CIE fanboys poke a "hole" in your complaint, and then immediately another 20 CIE fanboys "thank" the original fanboy. So its pointless even going there.

Why?

So what if lots of people like a post that opposes yours? Stick to your guns. If you think you’re right, what does it matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Why?

So what if lots of people like a post that opposes yours? Stick to your guns. If you think you’re right, what does it matter?

I agree. It's character building to feast on the thanks of your opponents. Good for the soul. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Zorya wrote: »
    I agree. It's character building to feast on the thanks of your opponents. Good for the soul. :)

Its always good for a laugh when you see the same circke-jerk groupies all jumping in to a thanks together where someone makes a comment that offends their sensibilities lol. :pac:

Advertisement