Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Waters gone mad

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I take my hat off to anyone who can force themselves to read that fúcking drivel masquerading as a newspaper article, i got as far as the bit about Katy French being everyones daughter and i just couldn't go on any further.

John Waters is an insufferable gobshíte, always was, always will be - that's about all there is to say about the man!

Ah in fairness that article was absolutely gas.

What I love about Waters is how he's positioned himself as forgotten rural Ireland's voice, railing against the cosy D4 establishment Liberal consensus ... From his big gaff in Dun Laoghaire paid for by being an Irish Times columnist along with various sinecures on the likes of RTE after he batted for FF when it was all powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,961 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This thread only started a year ago which is surprising because that thread title would have been as fitting 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Ah in fairness that article was absolutely gas.

What I love about Waters is how he's positioned himself as forgotten rural Ireland's voice, railing against the cosy D4 establishment Liberal consensus ... From his big gaff in Dun Laoghaire paid for by being an Irish Times columnist along with various sinecures on the likes of RTE after he batted for FF when it was all powerful.

Forgotten rural Ireland thinks he's a fruitcake too believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Paranoid Personality Disorder, could it be related to that.

How does someone start out reasonably rational and over the years get completely paranoid, is is personality, something that happened to them or what?

mariaalice wrote: »
    Paranoid Personality Disorder, could it be related to that.

How does someone start out reasonably rational and over the years get completely paranoid, is is personality, something that happened to them or what?

Pretty much this.

Waters has clearly struggled with some kind of mental illness off and on.

Bambi wrote: »
    There was something about the 80s in Ireland that produced high octane pontificating spoofers like John Waters

No google so much harder to check facts made it much easier for them plus hotpress gave them an outlet.

The late late show from the 80s also is also intersting.

Ah, I kind of like John Waters.. His worldview (which was everyone else's up until 10 years ago..) just isn't hip really anymore..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Pretty much this.

Waters has clearly struggled with some kind of mental illness off and on.

I wouldn't be a fan of John Waters but do you have anything to back up a history of him suffering from mental illness. If not you might want to consider retracting your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Ah, I kind of like John Waters.. His worldview (which was everyone else's up until 10 years ago..) just isn't hip really anymore..

No....they weren't.

He's been a d-bag for a lot longer than 10 years, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

holyhead wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a fan of John Waters but do you have anything to back up a history of him suffering from mental illness. If not you might want to consider retracting your post.

In case he gets sued?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

When the blasphemy law stuff first reared its head I went to a meeting about opposing it. Nothing too hardcore, I just thought it was bad legal precedent and wanted to see if there was a way of opposing it.

Anyway, so Waters shows up early and seats himself up the front, half turning his chair around like he's the star of the show, stretching up out of his seat so everyone can see him. Typical Irish "celebrity" stuff, apart from he looks genuinely dirty - not just scruffy but actually dirty.

Makes a big deal of knowing he's been recognized, makes a point of pantomime villain sneering everything anyone says, including a fairly frail older lady who made her point clearly but a little inelegantly, or doing a big cartoon "this is my listening face" to any suggestion of protest, as if to say he's "spying" on the whole thing. Essentially playing "not touching, can't get mad!" and drinking free tea. He blew his whole afternoon like that, IRL trolling a fairly small, fairly informal meeting for people with genuine concerns about stuff like extradition precedent, because he wanted to feel like the big famous bad boy in the building and that's how he gets his kicks.

It always stayed with me because it was such a small, harmless little meeting, but he seemed to be getting such a huge rush from making a big deal of it and making it a kind of ego trip thing, and this was when he was fairly high profile, so theoretically he had far better things to do.

In conclusion, on a very personal - rather than political - level, I think John Waters is an absolute prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

unless being an arsehole is a mental illness i dont think it is correct to say that waters has a mental illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,481 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is that a typo? You meant 50 years ago, right?

Is that a typo? You meant 50 years ago, right?

Ok.. we'll say 20..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ok.. we'll say 20..

20 years ago was the year 2000. waters is still in the last century.

No nothing to hand, but you never know what's going on inside a persons mind.

I think it's fair to say his behavior of late has been, well, odd. Much like his partner in crime who really needs help at this stage.

Waters has always been conservative in his outlook, which is fine, but in recent years it has gotten quite extreme.

Was never a fan of the man personally.

In case he gets sued?

John is in for quite a let down if he saw my bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

eagle eye wrote: »
    This thread only started a year ago which is surprising because that thread title would have been as fitting 20 years ago.

Same here. I thought it was one of those old thread as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Bambi wrote: »
    There was something about the 80s in Ireland that produced high octane pontificating spoofers like John Waters

I think we were starved for celebrity and people of note in the media environment. It's how Priests became columnists and TV personalities and in bred D4 types RTE stars on over sized salaries. We were told their opinions mattered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Any official word back on why these idiots weren't moved on straight away by the Guards during their protest? It cant be because of "who he is", as he hasn't been relevant or even current for donkeys years. I can understand the boys in blue being a bit slow off the mark if ,say, Matt Damon suddenly decided to protest but these people are nobodies, strange there wasn't anything done..

Bowie wrote: »
    I think we were starved for celebrity and people of note in the media environment. It's how Priests became columnists and TV personalities and in bred D4 types RTE stars on over sized salaries. We were told their opinions mattered.

I was actually thinking of Michael Harding as an example of what he was talking about so yeah.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I was actually thinking of Michael Harding as an example of what he was talking about so yeah.

I like Michael Harding a bit rambling, millions follow Deepak Chopra and others peddling similir nonsense, so its not just an Irish thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

A few snippets:

"She had a beauty that suggested itself as emanating from an infinity within. She seemed to believe anything was possible and her smile convinced you, for an instant, that she was right. I wanted her dreams to come true."

"I am crying, writing this. How can you cry for someone you've only once said hello to? Katy was the daughter of our dreams, in the sense that it was the dreams of her people that gave birth to what is tritely called her celebrity."

"Driven by angelic recall, they plod on clay feet into the mire of three-dimensional reality. They do not know, are not conscious, that their appetites are infinitely greater than the world's capacity to satisfy them."

2007 must have been a watershed for Irish journalistic bullshytery. This was the same year as Brendan O Connors infamous "smart ballsy guys" piece in the Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

A few snippets:

"She had a beauty that suggested itself as emanating from an infinity within. She seemed to believe anything was possible and her smile convinced you, for an instant, that she was right. I wanted her dreams to come true."

"I am crying, writing this. How can you cry for someone you've only once said hello to? Katy was the daughter of our dreams, in the sense that it was the dreams of her people that gave birth to what is tritely called her celebrity."

"Driven by angelic recall, they plod on clay feet into the mire of three-dimensional reality. They do not know, are not conscious, that their appetites are infinitely greater than the world's capacity to satisfy them."

Haha...he absolutely yanked himself til he bled looking at her. Bonkers

mariaalice wrote: »
    I like Michael Harding a bit rambling, millions follow Deepak Chopra and others peddling similir nonsense, so its not just an Irish thing.

He seems like a nice bloke, I just don't rate his stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement