Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCAA College Football - 2018 Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Week 3 bits n' bobs:

North Texas bamboozled Arkansas with a fake fair catch on a punt return, which was then returned for a TD. Coaches are always preaching "play until the whistle" and this is why:

Maryland had an unusual formation on one of their snaps. It went for no gain.

eW7bzdBl.jpg

College Football referees in a nutshell. They'll just allow you to pass the ball twice on the same play.

https://twitter.com/CFBgifer/status/1041097951232368640

Nothing spectacular (it never is when it's Rutgers) but 2 absolute textbook stiff-arms from Raheem Blackshear on the same run:

Click Here

Paul Finebaum was asked who he thinks would win between Boise State and Oklahoma State. He then explains why he likes Oklahoma. You can just about see the host contemplate whether he should say anything.

https://twitter.com/Oklahomawaffles/status/1040949242699894786

It's pretty obvious that FCS mascots are operating on a budget. This monstrosity from Murray State looks like it needs to be humanely put to sleep.

https://twitter.com/AndyWoods1131/status/1041039376229302272

Not quite "Football in the groin", but "Football in the face" is still pretty funny if you're immature like me,

https://twitter.com/gobigbl87548813/status/1041065974924038145?s=21

This play alone was a rollercoaster of emotions:

https://twitter.com/NDFootball/status/1041062780772798464

Ed Orgeron is a national treasure:

Molly McGrath was made to work to earn her paycheck from ESPN this week:

Click Here

It's bad enough that this wasn't called as a safety for USC. It's even worse once you realise that it was reviewed, and still wasn't called as a safety.

https://twitter.com/CFBONFOX/status/1041142950216970241

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Alabama -24.5 v A&M I see. That says it all about the SEC this year, they'll probably win by 50+. I wonder could Wake Forest give the Irish a game, it seems like the sort of game that ND drop once or twice a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Bateman wrote: »
    Alabama -24.5 v A&M I see. That says it all about the SEC this year, they'll probably win by 50+. I wonder could Wake Forest give the Irish a game, it seems like the sort of game that ND drop once or twice a year

They have been sailing very close to the wind the last two weeks. Wouldn't be at all shocked if they lost to WF. That tendency to take obvious trap games for granted is an ongoing failing of ND. But it's not just complacency, they just don't look as good right now as they did last year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

UNT are up 31-10 with the ball and a minute left in the half. It's the first time this century they've been leading a power five team. If they win it'll be the first time they are 0-3 since last century too. Their QB, Mason First, is tremendous fun to watch.

Oh and they're playing in Arkansas, the stadium is rapidly emptying out.

Lol

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24689086

That should have read Mason FINE, not First. Heard a few people clucking about that punt return that he had tricked them with a wave that wasn't technically above his head or whatever, but I don't see that he made any attempt to wave. The Arkansas players were just dumb, and people are trying to make excuses for their stupidity.

• Advertisement

It looked like FAU @ UCF would be a blowout when UCF jumped out to a 14 point lead but FAU have now tied it up in the 2nd quarter thanks to 2 Devin Singletary touchdowns.

That's 52 touchdowns in his last 22 games which is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Not the best slate of college football games this weekend ,Michigan Nebraska could be the best of the early games.Bama will slaughter A &M .Oregon vs Stanford seems to be the game of the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Wake Forest's stadium is really beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They are putting up a good show so far too.
    I think I'd prefer Wimbush at QB.

eagle eye wrote: »
    They are putting up a good show so far too.
    I think I'd prefer Wimbush at QB.
    I didn't think he was particularly good so far this year but he was far from what I'd consider the main problem with the offense. Seems an odd decision.

• Advertisement

Wake Forest's stadium is really beautiful.
    Love the grass on one terrace, looks like a nice spot to sit and watch a game alright.

Love the grass on one terrace, looks like a nice spot to sit and watch a game alright.

Yeah, A grass bank is so much nicer than a concrete terrace.It looks like a proper old fashioned stadium, sadly too many stadia across the world have had the character and uniqueness taken away from them due to them being modernized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

Wake Forest offence don't wait around to much. Play after play after play.
    Game on.

Great run from Michael Young to set up that TD.

Book has grown on me in this game. He has visually improved as the game goes on. Kelly's biggest total in an away game with Notre Dame now with 56 points. Things are starting to look really good. This was expected to be a close game.

The Tide are just scary good. Nobody is going to stop them this year.

#13 Virginia Teach on the verge of losing to 0-3 Old Dominion at home, currently down 42-35.

OD have the ball with 2:33 left, VT have 3 timeouts left.

To put that in perspective, OD's results this year:

Lost 52-10 v Liberty
    Lost 28-20 v Florida International
    Lost 28-25 v Charlotte

VT were favoured by over 4 TDs.

Old Dominion were in kneel-down territory, and they still ran for another TD. Now up 49-35. VT have a minute and a half but will need a TD, an onside kick and another TD. This could be the biggest upset of the year. Currently a 42 point turnaround vs the spread.

Oregon have one of the ugliest jerseys I've ever seen.

Oregon have, so far, made a serious statement tonight, Stanford just cannot get anything going on either side of the ball. They're struggling with a lot of things but the atmosphere in the stadium is one of them.

Not great news for ND though, if it continues like this, they'll need to have a few shots at making statement games against ranked teams if they're to have any shot at a playoff. If Stanford take a dip in the rankings it'll be very difficult to make a big claim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Texas gonna be ranked
    Hammered USC and TCU both ranked in late teens in consecutive weeks
    #longhorns

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Oregon really p!ssed that game away. Twice.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Oregon really p!ssed that game away. Twice.
    I turned it off, how did they contrive to lose that game?

Well they had a TD taken away by replay that would have seen them go up 31-7, instead they got first and goal. ended up fumbling, Stanford taking it all the way back making it 24-14.

From then on it was really close.

Right at the end then, Oregon 3 points up, all they needed to do was run the ball 3 times and leave no time on the clock. Turned it over again and left Stanford with 1 minute and 1 timeout.

Northwestern's RB Jeremy Larkin has had to retire effective immediately due to a diagnosis of cervical stenosis. Crappy news - he was on fire this year and looked really good. Could really have become an NFL prospect with the way he was going. Sad to see.

Clemson having a bit of trouble with Syracuse. Losing 16-7 mid way through the 3rd Quarter.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Clemson having a bit of trouble with Syracuse. Losing 16-7 mid way through the 3rd Quarter.

23-13 to Syracuse now.

Didn't Syracuse beat them last year.

23-13 to Syracuse now.

Didn't Syracuse beat them last year.

Yeah, I think so. 3 point game now, should be a good finish.

Nice comeback from Clemson to get the win.Backup Qb looked good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Any game recommendation for right now?

I assume Ohia at Penn St will be a good one at half 12 too.

Flicking between Baylor Oklahoma and Tennessee/Georgia

You have Stanford @ Notre Dame at 12.30 too.

Notre Dame put themselves in the playoffs picture with a great performance against Stanford. It was a close first half before the Irish took over and dominated the second. Great performances all around. Book has really settled into the starting job now and looks really impressive.
    I think if they keep winning they are in.

Was a serious performance, the defensive front seven made a major statement. Seemed to be sacking the QB more or less constantly.

There's a guy playing for Penn State called Mac Hippenhammer.

That may well be the greatest name in the history of mankind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭mooreman09

Notre Dame put themselves in the playoffs picture with a great performance against Stanford. It was a close first half before the Irish took over and dominated the second. Great performances all around. Book has really settled into the starting job now and looks really impressive.
    I think if they keep winning they are in.

Depends, their schedule isn't looking great. The SEC champ is a cert, also the Big 10 champ unless Michigan somehow win it. Then it looks highly likely that Clemson will win out and possibly even Oklahoma. A one loss Washington might even run the playoff close.

Then you've to consider Georgia or Bama if they're a one loss SEC loser.

I think it's likely ND need to be undefeated and have numerous dodgy conference champs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Was lucky / unlucky enough to be woken up last night so checked the Penn state game and caught the 4th quarter. Quality atmosphere and finish

Texas went 7-0 down but have not taken a 10-7 lead midway through the first quarter, their D really stepped up on the Sooners second drive putting them way back before getting the pick which lead to a field goal.

Really annoying that the Note Dame Virgina Tech game isn't on BT Sport/Espn tonight, there showing Kentucky v Texas A & M instead.

24-10 Longhorns. Sooners struggling against the Texas D

Really annoying that the Note Dame Virgina Tech game isn't on BT Sport/Espn tonight, there showing Kentucky v Texas A & M instead.
    VPN and nbc.com

I presume it's on NBC?

• Advertisement

VPN and nbc.com

I presume it's on NBC?

It's on ABC and usually BT Sport/Espn broadcasts the Saturday Night ABC game but for some reason they aren't this week.

It's a much bigger game than the one they are showing as this could have real implications for the playoffs if Notre Dame win.

Red River rivalry is living up to it's billing. Texas were up by 21 in the 4th, now they lead by 7 with 5 minutes left. They have the ball but it's 1st and 20 after a hold. It'll be an incredible comeback if the Sooners make it.

Great stuff from Texas. Nice last drive but they got lucky with a big PI call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

Watching LSU at Florida on Espn. Early TD for LSU.

adrian522 wrote:
    Great stuff from Texas. Nice last drive but they got lucky with a big PI call.
    That was a great game, I'll always remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

One happy as funk longhorn right now
    What a game
    Not saying we're back but we're making progress here in Austin

Florida/LSU was a great game too and this FSU/Miami game is going to be some finish. Great day of college football.

Notre dame very slow to start, first time Book has really struggled, need to see a response from him now.

Smart move taking the one point there. If they score you can still win with a field goal.
    Pittsburgh have been very tough tonight. Irish have shown a lot of resolve to stay in it tonight and hopefully now they have the win.

A couple of first downs will do it now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement