Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Is Derek McGrath the manager of Laois minors this year it is it just a “consultation” role again?

Was meant to be doing some coaching sessions with them but I'd say greatly curtailed due to Covid.

Some hammering they got all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The minor and under 20s are straight knockout are they?

Waterford under 20s playing the winner of tomorrow's Tipp vs Clare QF

Really hope they get elite sports an exception in tomorrow's new restrictions. It would lift a bit of doom and gloom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Was meant to be doing some coaching sessions with them but I'd say greatly curtailed due to Covid.

There was a lot of hype about Laois minors this year, hence why they went out all out to get Derek involved. Will be hugely disappointing to ship that beating off Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

tipp v Clare on tg4 this evening in u20 Munster championship and we play the winner this day next week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    tipp v Clare on tg4 this evening in u20 Munster championship and we play the winner this day next week

Lovely evening for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Junior Hurler

We need to get used to games in this weather now. Cold, wind and rain will be a perfect platform for a fast skills based game.

Hopefully the championships goes ahead

Heard major sports will get an excempttion

So we Tipp in Fraher Field next Monday in the U20 Munster semi final.

Tipp looked good in second half tonight, not sure how good our team is, but its going to be a big test next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Tipp looked good in second half tonight, not sure how good our team is, but its going to be a big test next week.

Live on tg4

No doubt a tough test for us

After last years hammering didn't the Waterford under 20 manager say this was a 2 year project ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Whatever happened to Clare in the second half? They played some brilliant hurling in the first half. I expected Tipp to come back strong in the second half and win the game, but Clare couldn't do a thing right after half time. Their touch deserted them and their decision-making went to hell. It was so instant and so complete that it couldn't just be fitness and conditioning. Maybe something was put in their water bottles in the second quarter. Tipp are good hurlers and physically strong. They weren't switched on in the first half but I expect they will have learned their lesson, and will be a tough proposition next week. Waterford will have to be up for the occasion and the physical challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭whiteandblue

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Clare in the second half? They played some brilliant hurling in the first half. I expected Tipp to come back strong in the second half and win the game, but Clare couldn't do a thing right after half time. Their touch deserted them and their decision-making went to hell. It was so instant and so complete that it couldn't just be fitness and conditioning. Maybe something was put in their water bottles in the second quarter. Tipp are good hurlers and physically strong. They weren't switched on in the first half but I expect they will have learned their lesson, and will be a tough proposition next week. Waterford will have to be up for the occasion and the physical challenge.

It's just great to have this match to look forward to, Bank Holiday Monday at 3:15 on TG4. Wouldn't be expecting Waterford to beat Tipp but hopefully will be competitive. I don't think there's any under 20 player on the senior panel which would indicate that we wouldn't be strong but I felt the last 2 years, our minor teams were unlucky and could have progressed from the group with a bit more composure in games coming down the home straight.
    As I said though, just great to have GAA to look forward to!

It's just great to have this match to look forward to, Bank Holiday Monday at 3:15 on TG4. Wouldn't be expecting Waterford to beat Tipp but hopefully will be competitive. I don't think there's any under 20 player on the senior panel which would indicate that we wouldn't be strong but I felt the last 2 years, our minor teams were unlucky and could have progressed from the group with a bit more composure in games coming down the home straight.
    As I said though, just great to have GAA to look forward to!

absolutely open to correction on this, but I think iarlath Daly, Tom Barron and Michael kiely are on the u20 panel as well as the senior panel this year

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

absolutely open to correction on this, but I think iarlath Daly, Tom Barron and Michael kiely are on the u20 panel as well as the senior panel this year

Tom Barron is overage and Michael Kiely isn’t in with the panel as far as I’m aware

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Is Derek McGrath the manager of Laois minors this year it is it just a “consultation” role again?

There was a lot of hype about Laois minors this year, hence why they went out all out to get Derek involved. Will be hugely disappointing to ship that beating off Offaly

Three years ago at u-14 Laois beat Offaly by 52 points, that is some turn around :eek:

Tom Barron is overage and Michael Kiely isn’t in with the panel as far as I’m aware

ok thanks, think I was confused with the change from u18 to u17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

ok thanks, think I was confused with the change from u18 to u17.

Its a weird one this year because these are the lads that should have been last year minor in 2018 but got done by the change in the grades. So they didn't get a chance to play at their age at minor

Its a weird one this year because these are the lads that should have been last year minor in 2018 but got done by the change in the grades. So they didn't get a chance to play at their age at minor

yeah it's a strange one alright. I don't think I can think of a Waterford underage team before that I have known so little about, obviously we would know a lot of the players from playing with their clubs, but no form line back to minor for this team.

the Clare game will likely stand to tipp and it hasn't helped our preparations that challenge matches in recent weeks had to be cancelled due to restrictions. More hope than expectation but hopefully they perform well next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

Waterford played Wexford late last week
    Lineout was as follows

SOK
    Shane Fives
    Conor Prunty
    Shane McNulty
    Darragh Fives
    Tadhg De Burca
    Kevin Moran
    Callum Lyons
    Jamie Barron
    Jack Fagan
    Austin Gleeson
    Kieran Bennett
    Dessie Hutchinson
    Stephen Bennett
    Pauric Mahony

Wexford won this game. Pauric Mahony forced off with an injury ( not thought to be serious )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭whiteandblue

Waterford played Wexford late last week
    Lineout was as follows

SOK
    Shane Fives
    Conor Prunty
    Shane McNulty
    Darragh Fives
    Tadhg De Burca
    Kevin Moran
    Callum Lyons
    Jamie Barron
    Jack Fagan
    Austin Gleeson
    Kieran Bennett
    Dessie Hutchinson
    Stephen Bennett
    Pauric Mahony

Wexford won this game. Pauric Mahony forced off with an injury ( not thought to be serious )

You'd imagine a lot of likely starters on that team with Conor Gleeson & Neil Montgomery injured or carrying knocks.

Possibly Iarlaith Daly or Conor Gleeson could force their way into the backline & Montgomery, Jack Prendergast & Patrick Curran pushing to make the forward line but I wouldn't imagine huge changes to that forward line either.

Barron & Lyons are an exciting midfield partnership. Lyons is so versatile & good under the high ball that he would be an asset to any line of the pitch but against Fitzgibbon/Coleman/Cooper, I'd fancy the 2 lads to do well & both can contribute to the scoreboard & work equally as hard going back the field.

Hard to imagine Mahony playing & staying in the full forward line. Might play slightly further out than the 2 others inside to try & play off breaks & pick off passes from those around him to get scores. A freetaker in these winterish conditions will be key so let's hope it's only a knock he has picked up.

Cannot wait for next Saturday week now!

You'd imagine a lot of likely starters on that team with Conor Gleeson & Neil Montgomery injured or carrying knocks.

Possibly Iarlaith Daly or Conor Gleeson could force their way into the backline & Montgomery, Jack Prendergast & Patrick Curran pushing to make the forward line but I wouldn't imagine huge changes to that forward line either.

Barron & Lyons are an exciting midfield partnership. Lyons is so versatile & good under the high ball that he would be an asset to any line of the pitch but against Fitzgibbon/Coleman/Cooper, I'd fancy the 2 lads to do well & both can contribute to the scoreboard & work equally as hard going back the field.

Hard to imagine Mahony playing & staying in the full forward line. Might play slightly further out than the 2 others inside to try & play off breaks & pick off passes from those around him to get scores. A freetaker in these winterish conditions will be key so let's hope it's only a knock he has picked up.

Cannot wait for next Saturday week now!

yeah something to look forward too after all the doom and gloom the last few days. Jesus we really need a big man or 2 in the forward line esp in the weather for this championship. A win in the Munster semi final is so important as it gives us at least an All Ireland QF and away from the qualifiers which will be extremely tricky. Cant wait for the championships

Regardng under age i would like us too be very competitive and not get hammerings like previous years. Under 20s in action next monday vs Tipperary with the minors also facing Tipp in the munster semi final on the 30th Oct

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/10/20/deise-captain-ruled-out-of-2020-season/

**** it Pauric Mahony out for the rest of the season with a knee injury. Best of luck to him in his recovery

Opens a can of worms now, need a new captain and will Maurice be called in ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Mahony is out for the cork match and the remainder of the season in fact

Mahony is out for the cork match and the remainder of the season in fact

Disaster. A top class freetaker in these conditions is key

Disaster. A top class freetaker in these conditions is key

Bring back Maurice

It is a disaster cause no way could he call in a new player less than a week til the game

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

So disappointing for him after coming back from such a serious injury only a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Huge blow alright and wish Pauric a speedy recovery, who'll be on frees now? Would have to think Curran?

Cake Man wrote: »
    Huge blow alright and wish Pauric a speedy recovery, who'll be on frees now? Would have to think Curran?

Curran may not start, Stephen Bennett may be more likely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Cake Man wrote: »

I'll prefix this by saying I wouldn't play Austin in the forwards. However if that's where he is played then I'd give him the frees. He's at his best the more involved he is and the frees would be another way of getting him involved and his confidence up. I'm not sure any other player in the county could turn a game like he did against De La Salle and for us to do well then he needs to fire.

I note he was down as number 11 last weekend but Cahill seems to like to play a two man full forward line and a drop a player back each line so Austin may well have operated deeper than centre forward.

Advertisement