Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knives Out [Rian Johnson]

Options

Comments

pixelburp wrote: »
    Surprised how quickly it has obviously arrived in "the usual places". Awards season? Or is partyjungle just one of THOSE cinema patrons? :D

Awards season is upon on us apparently. There's not much up there though. Knives Out being the only big name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Awards season is upon on us apparently. There's not much up there though. Knives Out being the only big name.

It is indeed awards season but if the golden globes are anything to go by.. it is not the only game in town.

I was surprised that Knives Out got nothing.

Peoples Choice votes have got to give it something.

Will need to see how the Screen Actors Guild vote in their awards (19 Jan) to see if it has a chance at an Oscar for anything (as they are the biggest voting bloc in the Oscars).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

It goes without saying, but Johnson also confirmed that it'll have Benoit Blanc as its lead; hard to imagine how to go to the well a second time & keep things fresh.

No doubt he'll subvert your expectations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No doubt he'll subvert your expectations.

I see what you did there, but honestly, if he did that'd be great given the nature of the genre we're dealing with...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jamesieliz

Watched this last night. , really enjoyed it .
    Had a nice 70s-80s murder/mystery vibe about it , with enough twists and turns to keep you engrossed, plus a nice humorous undercurrent to keep you smiling along with the mystery.
    Didn’t think I’d like the Daniel Craig character but he grew on me so it’s nice to hear he’ll be involved in a sequel - like a previous poster says I hope the writers can keep it fresh with some new ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Wonderful stuff! Set in the very present day but with all the trappings of an old skool murder mystery. Like Cluedo come to life. The house is very Cluedo-ish.

Daniel Craig's accent is not good (and he doesn't care) but he is so excellent in it. The girl who plays the nurse is brilliant - wasn't familiar with her. One to watch. Johnson is hilarious. So is the cop who's a big fan of the deceased author. Michael Shannon, whom I'm a big fan of, kinda underwhelmed me but he can't be perfect.

Very funny and sharp, elegantly shot, clever plot, nice twists and turns.

Question movie fans: Besides this, what's the (fairly vague) connection between Jamie Leigh Curtis and Don Johnson?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

This films success fills me with hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Watched this last night. Great! Really enjoyed it.
    It goes without saying, but Johnson also confirmed that it'll have Benoit Blanc as its lead; hard to imagine how to go to the well a second time & keep things fresh.

I'd hope for an otherwise entirely new cast, new location, and new mystery for any sequel. And I imagine that's what we'll get.

Plenty of precedent for a detective series remaining fresh over many a mystery. I'll definitely be looking forward to more from Benoit Blanc.

The accent didn't annoy me in the slightest. It worked well enough to keep things light and a bit fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Goodshape wrote: »
    I'd hope for an otherwise entirely new cast

but open to cameos!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Question movie fans: Besides this, what's the (fairly vague) connection between Jamie Leigh Curtis and Don Johnson?

Do you mean the Hitchcock connection? That'd be fairly tenuous alright.

However, I want a bonus point for the correct spelling of Jamie Lee Curtis' name! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

seenitall wrote: »
    Do you mean the Hitchcock connection? That'd be fairly tenuous alright.

However, I want a bonus point for the correct spelling of Jamie Lee Curtis' name! :D
    Yep. The Hitchcock blonde mother and former mother in law!

Aw yeah she does spell it with the other Lee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Watched this last night to see what all the fuss was about. It was ok, a decent film

But
    Martha
    absolutely was more involved then most think

From Reddit
    She throws the piece of lattice away while she's next to the dog that had it.

She knows dogs fetch.

She only confesses and leads Benoit to the toxicology report after Fran tells her that "Hugh" did it.

Red dime and thin cent is a weird tidbit. Maybe points to Ransom's allowance being a red herring?

The time she vomits alone after lying looks way more deliberate than the others. Probably left there as evidence

Coke cup vomit was definitely (deliberately) within noseshot of Benoit

Ransom learned about Marta's vomiting when she lied in a game of mafia. This means she vomited while denying that she killed somebody.

My house. My rules. My coffee.

"Want some champers?"

"I can't I'm technically working."

Full theory here

https://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories/comments/etpqtt/knives_out_spoilers_the_real_mastermind_is/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Good cast, mediocre and over hyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

It was playing in my local again before the cinemas here had to close for a 2nd time so I went along with some friends who had never seen it........what i noticed this time was how tight the screenplay was, the dialogue, the plotting, it's a thing of beauty. I take my hat off to Rian johnson, he made a quality film with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Any one else, or is it just me and a few on Reddit thinking
    Martha
    was the mastermind behind it all? ;)

The clues are there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Martha

The clues are there

No, they're not. It's such a tight script and plot, I don't know why people are looking for something more within it. I've listened to several interviews with Rian Johnson and I've never heard anything to suggest that there's another reading of the film other than the one he gave us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH it’s likely just people on the Internet overthinking things as usual.

The film works perfectly well without there needing to be some extra hidden layer to it. If anything, I think the whole ‘but what if the mastermind really is someone else!’ theorising does a disservice to how clearly and entertainingly everything ties together just on its own terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Martha

The clues are there
    I was initially of this persuasion, but having heard Rian Johnson in interviews, he denies anything beyond what's on show. I do think that it is open to interpretation (with a bit of effort), but as it came from the horse's mouth, it's a non-starter.
    An extra layer might have been something Johnson would have tried in the past, but I think he has learned from his previous films not to over-egg the pudding. So any clues pointing to
    Martha as the actual killer, are not really clues.
    . It's just an extraneous pattern that can emerge if you look for it. In which case the referee here is Johnson, and he denies it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Martha

The clues are there

I dont get where this comes from in the first place. Its like digging for something thats not there, and to what end? One of the main themes in Knives out is that a kind hearted and decent person will win out ultimately over greedy, petty and duplicitous individuals. Theres a moral to the whole story which would go out the window if those theories the lads on reddit are throwing about, were true.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix about to sign a $400m+ deal for Knives Out 2 & 3 with Daniel Craig & Rian Johnson returning as star and director.
    Netflix is closing in on a deal to make two sequels to the 2019 hit whodunit Knives Out, which Rian Johnson will direct with Daniel Craig reprising his role as super sleuth Benoit Blanc. Johnson, who wrote the original, has written the sequels and is producing with partner Ram Bergman. Sources said the deal will be worth north of $400 million, making it one of the biggest streamer movie deals in history.

A sequel was expected, but the recent discreet auction that went on between three streamers — Apple and Amazon were the others — was a surprise. How was it possible? The original was acquired in a single picture deal by MRC, which distributed the film through Lionsgate. The first film cost $40 million and turned in a global gross north of $311 million. Owned and licensed by Johnson and Bergman on a picture by picture basis, Johnson and Bergman had the right to make the richest sequel deal they could. It gives Netflix a bonafide event film franchise for its slate. The first picture will begin shooting June 28 in Greece, and casting will begin immediately.

The deal is remarkable, considering Knives Out‘s origins. It happened because Danny Boyle exited the James Bond movie, leaving Craig with some downtime. Johnson, who loved the Agatha Christie whodunits, had one of those in mind, and he and Bergman readied it before Cary Joji Fukunaga came in as 007 director and was ready to shoot No Time To Die, Craig’s swan song as the British secret agent. Knives Out, with a killer cast and a meticulously crafted script, was a crowd pleasing hit that sets up perfectly for more mysteries. This deal should land in the $450 million range.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/knives-out-two-sequels-netflix-400-million-plus-deal-daniel-craig-rian-johnson-ram-bergman-1234724575/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Another nail in the coffin of cinemas. The original was a surprise hit (the biggest original, non-IP movie since Interstellar) because in recent years the only movies that make hundreds of millions were mega-budget action/superhero movies, CGI animations, some horror movies and musicals. Now its sequels likely won't be seen in cinemas. Big win for Netflix though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Made me think to look up when Death on the Nile is due out. Looks like it's pushed back to February

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Made me think to look up when Death on the Nile is due out. Looks like it's pushed back to February

Digitally erasing Armie Hammer takes time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brevity

Digitally erasing Armie Hammer takes time!

Probably costs an arm and a leg...

brevity wrote: »
    Probably costs an arm and a leg...

Armie Hammer might well like to have same for lunch - allegedly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I consider 'Knives Out' to be not only Rian Johnson's best film, but also the best film of 2019 (and a hell of a bounce back after the pretty awful 'The Last Jedi'). But I can't say that I am that enthused about hearing the plan for sequels. 'Knives Out' works perfectly well as a singular movie, but I am not that bothered in anything more from Benoit Blanc. He's just not that interesting a character.

I suppose if they can get as good a cast for the sequels as they managed to get for the original and wrap it into as compelling a story, there's a chance things could work. But where the first film managed to revitalise well worn concepts and tropes, I fear that the sequels will only be trodding in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I feel the same reservations. I loved the movie. I hope Johnson has the time and creativity to make something equally good but there's a big danger of diminishing returns. Not everything requires a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,031 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It worked well as a once off, great ensemble cast

I'm surprised Craig wanted in on a franchise again after Bond unless also producing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I mean it was inevitable, it was inspired by the likes of Poirot and Marple and Holmes which are all heavily sequelised. That's part of the fun, creating new mysteries and new scenarios and there's actually a lot more scope than with other genres because a sequel to murder mystery doesn't have to go bigger or darker. I can see why Craig is attracted to it, Blanc is a static character, he doesn't need an emotional arc, that's for the characters around him. It's ironic in a way because Bond doesn't need that either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Johnson has been talking up a sequel since before this was even widely released, so it's clearly something he wants to do rather than just being tempted by a big cheque. Still, delighted he's getting that big cheque as he seems like such a fundamentally sound chap that I only hope has every success. That he still has a pretty much perfect hit rate for me doesn't hurt, so I'll trust his instincts :)

Advertisement