Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Foxtrol wrote: »
    49ers have signed Jordan Reed.

Great move by both sides, as a fantastic player when healthy on an incentivised contract and for Reed probably the best shop window out there if he performs.

I'll however squirm every time I see him take a hit and wish he'd chosen to retire.

Yeah, a great TE when he actually plays. But I worry for him after all the concussions he’s had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

49ers have signed Jordan Reed.

Great move by both sides, as a fantastic player when healthy on an incentivised contract and for Reed probably the best shop window out there if he performs.

I'll however squirm every time I see him take a hit and wish he'd chosen to retire.

7 concussions in his career, and that's only confirmed/documented ones. With his last one keeping him in concussion protocol and out of football for over 6 months.

I think it's incredibly sad that teams are still allowed sign players with such an extensive and serious injury history. I don't know what the solution is, because any sort of prohibition or similar will just lead to an increase in the number undocumented diagnosis and players hiding their injuries. Perhaps the NFL needs to hire completely team-independent doctors and have them at each game and practice for concussion diagnosis. How feasible that is, I don't know.

But the 49ers - or any team making a similar signing - can hardly keep a straight face if they ever preach about player safety and well-being while giving out incentive laden contracts to someone with such an extensive and documented history of concussions. It's just sad, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

7 concussions in his career, and that's only confirmed/documented ones. With his last one keeping him in concussion protocol and out of football for over 6 months.

I think it's incredibly sad that teams are still allowed sign players with such an extensive and serious injury history. I don't know what the solution is, because any sort of prohibition or similar will just lead to an increase in the number undocumented diagnosis and players hiding their injuries. Perhaps the NFL needs to hire completely team-independent doctors and have them at each game and practice for concussion diagnosis. How feasible that is, I don't know.

But the 49ers - or any team making a similar signing - can hardly keep a straight face if they ever preach about player safety and well-being while giving out incentive laden contracts to someone with such an extensive and documented history of concussions. It's just sad, really.

It's a tough one alright, harsh to force people into retirement too, preventing them from earning an income in their profession

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's a tough one alright, harsh to force people into retirement too, preventing them from earning an income in their profession

True, but I wouldn't be too sympathetic for Reed's financial situation having earned ~ $32m in his career so far.

Granted, it's much a trickier proposition when it's a perennial roster-bubble or practice squad player who's earned a fraction of that amount.

And yeah, imposing what is effectively retirement on players also won't sit right with many. But if players are going to be so wanton re: their health, and teams are going to allow them (and reward them) for doing so, something unpopular has to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Blut2

Signing someone with Reed's concussion history isn't far short of medical negligence in my opinion. Theres no way he should be playing full contact football ever again, hes already pretty much guaranteed to have mental problems in the future as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Agree with nearly all of that. Since Lynch and Shanahan arrived the 49ers have been a good bit better than league average on not signing scumbag players but the risk of long term health issues for this Reed signing doesn't sit right and leaves a bad taste.

The possible mitigating factors that I've talked myself in to giving hope that the 49ers is a better landing spot for his health than other teams, if he was going to end somewhere, is that he shouldn't have as big a workload, with Kittle and the young TEs, and Shanahan schemes guys open so well that it minimizes the number of contested catches and ones over the middle that leave players open to taking huge hits.

I'd have much rather he retired but as you said it is near impossible to stop a player that wants to play, be it from concussions or other life threatening medical conditions. All you need is one team to clear them and in Reed's case it appears there were several teams interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Confirmed now too , that Stafford has indeed tested postive for covid-19, although he is asymptomatic at the moment. So could return in 5 days as long as he returns two negative tests, otherwise 10 days without symptoms before he can return.

False positive apparently, so he's back on the active player list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Oat23 wrote: »
    2020 is so f*cked it wouldn't even be the most surprising thing to happen this year if he balls out and is an all-pro or something.

Once again our season rides on the QB play. If one of them is decent we can do well. If both are s*it we're looking at a 6-10 / 7-9 year.

I still think we should have signed Cam, though. I'm going to feel sick if Foles either can't beat out Mitch or does and plays crap/gets injured while Cam flourishes in NE.

Howya.

Trying to send you a DM but your inbox is full

I'd say for the NFL the restart has gone even better than they could have hoped.

The opt out window is closed with none of the top tier stars have chosen to sit out and the numbers sitting out didn't even average 3 players per squad of 80. On top of that then also seeing well under 1% of players tests coming back positive and no sign of any issues of spread within teams.

Obviously full contact practice, games, and travel will be a lot riskier but things are looking a lot better than they could have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Yeah it looks like they might succeed in playing out a credible season. It seems some teams are looking at voluntary bubbles where they book out hotel rooms for players and staff to isolate during the season to minimise the risk. Saints are doing it for camp and I think the Bucs intend to do it for the season, I’m sure others will follow.

If they do that along with rigorous testing they may well pull it off. It only takes a couple of clusters to derail everything of course, but the signs are relatively positive right now.

Yeah it looks like they might succeed in playing out a credible season. It seems some teams are looking at voluntary bubbles where they book out hotel rooms for players and staff to isolate during the season to minimise the risk. Saints are doing it for camp and I think the Bucs intend to do it for the season, I’m sure others will follow.

If they do that along with rigorous testing they may well pull it off. It only takes a couple of clusters to derail everything of course, but the signs are relatively positive right now.
    Not sure how that would work for players with families.

Not sure how that would work for players with families.

Same as NBA and NHL, where it has been a great success so far from a health perspective. They stay away from their families for the time or else have to quarantine when returning to the bubble. Obviously a much bigger logistical issue for the larger NFL teams but similar impact to players.

It would be the safest way for NFL to get a full season but I think the risk of a higher level or opt outs by star players made it unpalatable.

I don't get the idea of 'voluntary bubble' though. It seems like a waste unless the whole team 'volunteers' to do it and even then in the regular season you could catch it from the opposition. The system is only as strong as its weakest link and it isn't worth anything if the guy you're blocking on Sunday was out in bar the week or kid was in school.

Derrius Guice has been cut by the Redskins following a whole heap of domestic assault charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Derrius Guice has been cut by the Redskins following a whole heap of domestic assault charges.

Don't know who that is, I wonder if Washington football team will sign him up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I don't get the idea of 'voluntary bubble' though. It seems like a waste unless the whole team 'volunteers' to do it and even then in the regular season you could catch it from the opposition. The system is only as strong as its weakest link and it isn't worth anything if the guy you're blocking on Sunday was out in bar the week or kid was in school.
    Even if some guys refuse I think you are still reducing the overall level of risk significantly by sequestering most of the players throughout the season. There should be a high level of personal responsibility expected of those that choose to do their own thing and the penalties for risky behaviour should be harsh. The bubble model is a proven concept at this stage so I think teams will definitely be considering it strongly and if the coaches and team leaders buy in I think most players will too. If players are out in bars and busy public spaces regularly then the season is doomed. They simply have to cut out that kind of behaviour or they may as well knock the season on the head now.

The big problems may arise when you get in to the season and say a team is 2-6 at the halfway point, there will be a big risk of complacency there as the players know they have nothing to play for and they are bored out of their minds.

Another player who had plenty of potential but could never stay healthy. Rumour was he had another knee injury before he was cut.

More carries for the 125 year old Adrian Peterson then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

• Advertisement

Same as NBA and NHL, where it has been a great success so far from a health perspective. They stay away from their families for the time or else have to quarantine when returning to the bubble. Obviously a much bigger logistical issue for the larger NFL teams but similar impact to players.

It would be the safest way for NFL to get a full season but I think the risk of a higher level or opt outs by star players made it unpalatable.

The NBA/NHL are only playing a few games plus playoffs tho, most players will be away from their families for less than a month. Bit different to ask them to commit to 4 month regular season.

The NBA/NHL are only playing a few games plus playoffs tho, most players will be away from their families for less than a month. Bit different to ask them to commit to 4 month regular season.

NBA bubble began at near the start of July and will likely run until the start of October so ~ 3 months and the maximum NFL window for a full season plus play-offs would be ~ 5 months. It is longer but not that drastically so.

I'd rather they shortened the NFL regular season (like only playing 1 other conference) and be nearly guaranteed to complete the season than going for a full season and there being a decent chance of failure.

As expected it is looking more and more like the college season will be cancelled. Like the NFL, the colleges could have done so much more to help there to be a season but didn't bother. Of all sports college football should be one of the easiest to create a bubble but doing so would mean a huge risk of players wanting pay for staying in such an environment (which they should be getting already).

Not a fan of the last minute push from the likes of Lawrence and Fields to try to save the season. Though they claim otherwise, it really stinks of selfishness with them having the most to gain and are at least risk, due to their body type, likely well insured, and the protection from the virus their big money schools can provide them.

According to the Washington Post, the charge sheet says he strangled his girlfriend until she was unconscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

As expected it is looking more and more like the college season will be cancelled. Like the NFL, the colleges could have done so much more to help there to be a season but didn't bother. Of all sports college football should be one of the easiest to create a bubble but doing so would mean a huge risk of players wanting pay for staying in such an environment (which they should be getting already).

Not a fan of the last minute push from the likes of Lawrence and Fields to try to save the season. Though they claim otherwise, it really stinks of selfishness with them having the most to gain and are at least risk, due to their body type, likely well insured, and the protection from the virus their big money schools can provide them.

Surely they have nothing to gain? Not saying I agree with them but if the draft was done now then it would be those 2 1&2. No season means no chance to get injured or for someone else to have a Burrow style season.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Surely they have nothing to gain? Not saying I agree with them but if the draft was done now then it would be those 2 1&2. No season means no chance to get injured or for someone else to have a Burrow style season.

In draft terms I'd likely agree but from their personal perspective they lose the chance of winning a college championship this year, the chance to win a Heisman, the chance to cement yourself as #1 pick (and worth a team giving a lot to get there), the extra money in endorsements that go along with those first three, and a QB not playing for 20 months isn't seen as a positive for their development.

With that in mind if the team at 1 or 2 is set for a QB and the other teams are put off giving up picks to move up I wouldn't be surprised to see Sewell name come up as an option.

Hard Knocks back tonight. First real sign of the season ramping up.

It will be interesting to see how the two team format works. Hopefully it helps with content, especially with preseason games or joint practices and I doubt there will be too much of following players when they aren't in the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Hard to motivate myself to watch Hard Knocks, which is a shame, because it was excellent tv viewing a dew years ago!

Big 10 & Pac 12 seasons postponed.

The positive is if NFL sells rights to Saturday games they could end up sorting out some of the cap issues for 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

Big 10 & Pac 12 seasons postponed.

The positive is if NFL sells rights to Saturday games they could end up sorting out some of the cap issues for 2021.

Thank **** eagles are boned if the cap goes down

Advertisement