Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Christy42 wrote: »
    Indeed. I don't blame any player and any that I have seen tend to have other reasons as well such as new borns/family illnesses etc.

It is a good opportunity to show what absolute scum some fans are though. A group were giving Marquise Goodwin abuse for opting out due to having a newborn, this despite how his family had to deal with 3 miscarriages over the last few years*.

*not taking a shot at Eagles fans as from what I've seen nearly every player that was likely to make a team has dealt with similar abuse

It's becoming more and more of a null/void season with the opt-outs to date and likely more on the way. The NFL may go ahead with the season, but it's feeling like it'll always carry an asterisk at this point.

The opt outs have been pretty minor so far. Plenty of teams see many more injuries during or even prior to camp than the number of players opting out so far and no asterisk is ever put on those seasons for the eventual winners.

I still don't think they'll make it through the season but if they do it without major disruption very few fans will put any kind of asterisk on it a few years from now. Those that think that way will be the same tiny minority that have mental asterisks on winners that had any notable favourable calls during the play-offs.
    Rapport said there isn't a set deadline to opt out yet as the the league’s COVID-19 protocols aren't finalized by both the NFL and NFLPA. So if that was done today, the deadline is Aug 6th at the earliest.

Technically yes but if a player hasn't opted out at this point they have already shown up to camp. I might be wrong but I don't see too many players running the risk of showing up for the first few days and opting out later (aside from maybe a very high % of the tests coming back positive and scaring them, which there is no evidence of at this point)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,203 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Every few hours I log onto NFL twitter hoping to read that Aaron Rodgers has opted out just to spite the Packers.

So far I've been disappointed but there's still time. It would be hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Oat23 wrote: »
    Every few hours I log onto NFL twitter hoping to read that Aaron Rodgers has opted out just to spite the Packers.

To be fair, he's been incredibly busy throwing his toys out of the pram every chance he gets since the Packers drafted a QB.

Season should be called off at this stage. End up with a half a season with half rosters and someone like the Giants or Jets or Bears winning it and having to put an asterisk on the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Season should be called off at this stage. End up with a half a season with half rosters and someone like the Giants or Jets or Bears winning it and having to put an asterisk on the whole thing.

The Bears have one of the best defenses in the league and are a competent QB away from legitimately competing in the playoffs. I can't believe you've just lumped us in with the Giants and Jets.

Are you secretly hoping you'll see Trubisky? :pac:

Actually it might be better for the Bears to get through his contract this year rather than being stuck with a guaranteed deal next year when the cap drops

The Bears have one of the best defenses in the league and are a competent QB away from legitimately competing in the playoffs. I can't believe you've just lumped us in with the Giants and Jets.

Had actual forgot that replaced that other joker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Oat23 wrote:

You're all dog crap ;).

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Are you secretly hoping you'll see Trubisky? :pac:

Actually it might be better for the Bears to get through his contract this year rather than being stuck with a guaranteed deal next year when the cap drops

2020 is so f*cked it wouldn't even be the most surprising thing to happen this year if he balls out and is an all-pro or something.

Once again our season rides on the QB play. If one of them is decent we can do well. If both are s*it we're looking at a 6-10 / 7-9 year.

I still think we should have signed Cam, though. I'm going to feel sick if Foles either can't beat out Mitch or does and plays crap/gets injured while Cam flourishes in NE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

To be fair, he's been incredibly busy throwing his toys out of the pram every chance he gets since the Packers drafted a QB.

its incredibly annoying for us packer fans. just shut your mouth Aaron and play out your contract, coach up the hier apparent and don't be a d**k like favre was to you when you were drafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL

Where yet again, Antonio Brown has done something silly. The guy has been banned for 8 games heading into this season.

Go Cardinals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

At least teams can make a decision on whether to sign him or not now. Plenty of teams need receiver help.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

At least teams can make a decision on whether to sign him or not now. Plenty of teams need receiver help.

I wouldn't bother to be honest. He's become nothing but trouble. He's worse than Terrell Owens for being the diva.

DM_2092 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother to be honest. He's become nothing but trouble. He's worse than Terrell Owens for being the diva.

Without a doubt. I’m a Steelers fans and I would not want him back if he played for free. That said, some team will probably roll the dice now that there is clarity regarding his suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭Christy42

DM_2092 wrote: »

I wouldn't either. However I do see the temptation. If you could count on him to play he is easily one of the best. Top 3 for me. It's not like the Pats lost a lot taking that shot last year. Big if on him actually getting on the field again though and then can't imagine a lot of his teammates liked him so there are other costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A situation will arise where a team is on the verge of the playoffs and loses their best receiver. He'll get an opportunity like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

eagle eye wrote: »
    A situation will arise where a team is on the verge of the playoffs and loses their best receiver. He'll get an opportunity like that.

His suspension doesn’t start until he signs with a team though.

His suspension doesn’t start until he signs with a team though.

I would have thought that too but the NFL website says it’s weeks 1-8 regardless of whether he is on a team or not so I think eagle eye is right, he may be picked up mid season if a team loses a few receivers to injury or whatever.

I know Green Bay would probably never go for someone with his past but I’d love to see what he could do with Rodgers and Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Matthew Stafford has been placed on the covid-19 list by the lions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Hard to see how this won't happen during the regular season. The roster is so vast, that it will surely occur to a big player who will miss some big games. Unless the NFL can create a bubble for the players, it's gonna play a huge factor into how the season plays out. Not a huge number in terms of opt outs so far, but I haven't seen a confirmed deadline yet, so tough to tell how it will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Hopefully he doesn't have it, a few Lions have been placed on it now. Hopefully most of them are just for being in close proximity with whoever has it.

Aside from the possible effects to his own health not great timing with a newborn and young triplets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Hard to see how this won't happen during the regular season. The roster is so vast, that it will surely occur to a big player who will miss some big games. Unless the NFL can create a bubble for the players, it's gonna play a huge factor into how the season plays out. Not a huge number in terms of opt outs so far, but I haven't seen a confirmed deadline yet, so tough to tell how it will go.

I think I read August 4th as an opt out deadline but could be wrong.

They were saying on one of the NFL podcasts that I was listening to during the week that they are not looking at a bubble environment but players will be expected to restrict their movements during the season, no bars or nightclubs or events with more than 15 people. Players will be expected to almost cocoon during the season. Very hard to enforce among a couple of thousands millionaires in their twenties.

Even if most of them behave it only takes one player or staff member to bring it and spread it throughout the facility causing potentially multiple game cancellations. Even with testing there is bound to be slip ups. It will be a miracle if they finish the season tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

They were saying on one of the NFL podcasts that I was listening to during the week that they are not looking at a bubble environment but players will be expected to restrict their movements during the season, no bars or nightclubs or events with more than 15 people. Players will be expected to almost cocoon during the season. Very hard to enforce among a couple of thousands millionaires in their twenties.

Even if most of them behave it only takes one player or staff member to bring it and spread it throughout the facility causing potentially multiple game cancellations. Even with testing there is bound to be slip ups. It will be a miracle if they finish the season tbh.
    The track record of NFL players being asked to behave for the sake of the team wouldn't exactly inspire confidence for this. They can't get some lads to get a gun license before driving around with a pistol in the glove compartment, so my hopes would be, to be charitable, minimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Jofspring wrote: »
    I think I read August 4th as an opt out deadline but could be wrong.

I had heard that as well, but apparently it has yet to be signed off by both parties. When it's done, they then have a week to opt out, so the earliest is next Sunday (if they were to sign it today). But it looks like the NFL is trying push the deadline to within 2-3 days of signing it.

The NFLPA should really check the fine print on this, as should the players. It's not that you just contract the virus and recover. There is the possibility that a player dies (pretty small chance), but moreso that they are seriously affected by this and may be unable to play again to the required level due to lung/heart damage. Hope they have included a package for players that have their career ended.

The track record of NFL players being asked to behave for the sake of the team wouldn't exactly inspire confidence for this. They can't get some lads to get a gun license before driving around with a pistol in the glove compartment, so my hopes would be, to be charitable, minimal.

A direct connection with their actions and money can help things.

If a player catches it and their team can prove they broke the rules (like going to a bar) they can put the player on the non-football injury list and the player won't get paid, unlike the COVID list where they will

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Eagles head coach Doug Pederson has tested positive for covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Confirmed now too , that Stafford has indeed tested postive for covid-19, although he is asymptomatic at the moment. So could return in 5 days as long as he returns two negative tests, otherwise 10 days without symptoms before he can return.

• Advertisement

49ers have signed Jordan Reed.

Great move by both sides, as a fantastic player when healthy on an incentivised contract and for Reed probably the best shop window out there if he performs.

I'll however squirm every time I see him take a hit and wish he'd chosen to retire.

Advertisement