Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

EI-FAS is currently on approach to Belfast City after positioning from Kerry, where it had previously been in storage.

The new base doesn’t commence operations till later this month I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

The other half was due to go away the third weekend to LPA this month with the girls and was e mailed to say it was cancelled, Just had a look on the EI app and flights to TFS/LPA nothing showing

Yet for ACE their is plenty of dates available any reason why flying to just one of the islands.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The other half was due to go away the third weekend to LPA this month with the girls and was e mailed to say it was cancelled, Just had a look on the EI app and flights to TFS/LPA nothing showing

Yet for ACE their is plenty of dates available any reason why flying to just one of the islands.

Probably demand driven. LPA bookings have all changed date or there is no uptake on the current tickets. Whereas ACE maybe seeing people buying tickets. I personally know of 2 older couples who are going to ACE next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

Aer Lingus to operate chartered flights to India and China next month. Any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Kcormahs wrote: »
    Aer Lingus to operate chartered flights to India and China next month. Any update on this?

On behalf of the Universities, presumably? I know Queen's is doing it.

• Advertisement

Nijmegen wrote: »
    On behalf of the Universities, presumably? I know Queen's is doing it.

Yeah seems to be students

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

A321neoLR operating with tech stops to India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Jack1985 wrote: »
    A321neoLR operating with tech stops to India.

Yeah roight ! :)

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Yeah roight ! :)

Had the same reaction, but it's revenue deciding what gives best return for EI and when your loosing money each day I don't think anyone is going to argue with it.

Fixed amount of pax to be transported at later stages; planning is to use A321neoLR for those legs where even with tech stops it's cheaper than sending an A330 - This may change if required seats were to change for those legs.

A330 will be operating DUB-PEK charter; in addition DUB-AUH and operating a shuttle between AUH-DEL to avoid EI crew night stopping in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@Jack1985, whats the purpose of these flights? Students ?

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    @Jack1985, whats the purpose of these flights? Students ?

I believe so.

These charter flights will be in a very minimised frequency and will be a two weeks operation from what I am hearing.

Also with the worsening situation on cases and government to extend further measures to passengers arriving from outside the EU, we may see Aer Lingus suspending the US operation for pax and only keeping cargo for a period of 4 to 7 months. Extra redundancies may be announced adding up to the numbers previously mentioned. Aer Lingus could keep the current 2021 operation plans with 800 cabin crew in DUB. For pilots it won’t cut numbers as union reached a deal with management. Not sure about groundstaff.

https://www.thejournal.ie/department-preparing-options-for-restricting-non-essential-travel-from-countries-with-high-virus-rates-5171398-Aug2020/

Kcormahs wrote: »

............... Aer Lingus could keep the current 2021 operation plans with 800 cabin crew in DUB. For pilots it won’t cut numbers as union reached a deal with management. Not sure about groundstaff..........

800 from the current 2000! Thats vicious.

Regarding the pilots; I had read that the agreement had timed retun to wages (think it was 60% in Oct, 70% in Jan, 90% in April)
    If the fligth operation remains under 50% that agreement is problematic for EI.

Tenger wrote: »
    800 from the current 2000! Thats vicious.

Regarding the pilots; I had read that the agreement had timed retun to wages (think it was 60% in Oct, 70% in Jan, 90% in April)
    If the fligth operation remains under 50% that agreement is problematic for EI.

1700 odd and thats with all the bases in the republic. No where close to 2000 anymore I am afraid. (Everyone who was on a fixed term contract was let go. This was 2019 and 2020 crew)

I agree with you in regards to the pilots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I am only spitballing here and could be very wrong BUT would be easier to get and train cabin crew than suitable A320/A330 pilots so thats why they are in a better position to retain staff pay levels?

Just because you are 320 rated does not mean you are EI 320 trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Ingrid Miley bit slow on the redundancy package news?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Ingrid Miley bit slow on the redundancy package news?

Is it really anyone’s business apart from the employees and the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Is it really anyone’s business apart from the employees and the company?

I'd agree but she is leaked news the whole time, she might as well have an office there and work as their PR person

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'd agree but she is leaked news the whole time, she might as well have an office there and work as their PR person

Management of companies tip media off in advance of negotiations / announcements to get “their” spin on things out into the public domain before staff / unions can counter said spin.

Aer Lingus have pulled previous intention to operate charter flights to India.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

https://www.anna.aero/2020/08/18/aer-lingus-to-use-a321neos-to-newark-toronto-with-its-a330-300s-having-50-higher-costs-rdc-apex-platform-shows/

anna.aero analysis of costs of operating A321 Neos versus the A330.

As far as I can see it is a case of gain consistent results at the expense of maximising potential profit but there is a lot more to the article than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Any reason behind their decision, surely would of been a money maker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I guess they deemed it wasn’t worth their while?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Didn't the Universities cancel the arrangement?

Withdrawn their tender for the operation or the charters themselves were cancelled?

BZ wrote: »
    Any reason behind their decision, surely would of been a money maker?
    Tenger wrote: »
    Withdrawn their tender for the operation or the charters themselves were cancelled?

I don't know I'm afraid, other than that the whole programme of flying is scrapped.

Personally I had thought prior the achilles heel was that EK fly from multiple points in India via DXB to Dublin and have ample capacity at the moment to fill - Of course the flights mightn't even be going full stop as they could have been pulled by Uni's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Bad and all as going to golf dinners in Clifden is are you’d want rocks in yourhead to visit India ATM.
    Over 68,000 cases yesterday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

joeysoap wrote: »
    Bad and all as going to golf dinners in Clifden is are you’d want rocks in yourhead to visit India ATM.

Nobody was traveling to India. The proposed charters were to bring Indian university students to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

joeysoap wrote: »

1. Charter flights to India were to bring students to Ireland. It's not a charter flight for tourists. It's possible that some may fly on it to India to return home but that seems quite unlikely.

2. Numbers don't mean anything unless you compare it. 68,000 cases in India seems high but they have 1.3 billion people living there. India is actually doing better than Ireland when you break the number of cases per million. India is about 2,100 whereas Ireland is at 5,600.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    1. Charter flights to India were to bring students to Ireland. It's not a charter flight for tourists. It's possible that some may fly on it to India to return home but that seems quite unlikely.

2. Numbers don't mean anything unless you compare it. 68,000 cases in India seems high but they have 1.3 billion people living there. India is actually doing better than Ireland when you break the number of cases per million. India is about 2,100 whereas Ireland is at 5,600.

Honestly, do you think, considering some people there actually live out of piles of rubbish or have no idea of social distancing, that those figures are either accurate or present the actual picture?

Probably 68k people in a certain caste tbh.

Advertisement