Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Yes but Amazon have already applied Irish VAT, which can be subtracted to establish the intrinsic value for customs purposes.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

(For goods with intrinsic value over €150, Amazon will have to calculate the customs duty first before applying VAT).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

stdidit wrote: »
    Anyone have one of them blink cameras? Wondering what it's like, the reviews aren't great.

Also happy with mine, have since 2018. Think I have 9 installed now, batteries last 9-12 months, less if ion high traffic locations. Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭Doge

Doge wrote: »
    Just a heads up about buying from Amazon Warehouse.
    I bought a modular power supply (Used: Like New) that was missing the case screws and after speaking with a representive in chat,
    I was told since I bought it from a "third party" seller my only option was to return it for a refund, after asking for a partial refund.

Has the Amazon Warehouse always been considered as a "third party" seller?

I even double checked the invoice and it clearly says:
    Sold by Amazon EU S.à r.l., UK Branch 1 Principal Place, Worship Street London, EC2A 2FA United Kingdom

I'm going to hold onto it as I have spare screws, but for anyone else the hassle involved in returning something missing parts might not seem worth it.

Update:
    Chanced my arm with another customer service agent. It took them about about 40 mins to an hour,(i guess they were juggling between multiple cases) but after a while I ended up getting a full refund as a gift card balance as thats how I paid originally.
    They did offer a return for a refund twice but eventually got the idea i wanted a partial refund and to keep the item, and I ended up getting a full one in the end.

I guess its pot luck with amazon customer service!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭tbahh

Doge wrote: »
    Update:
    Chanced my arm with another customer service agent. It took them about about 40 mins to an hour,(i guess they were juggling between multiple cases) but after a while I ended up getting a full refund as a gift card balance as thats how I paid originally.
    They did offer a return for a refund twice but eventually got the idea i wanted a partial refund and to keep the item, and I ended up getting a full one in the end.

I guess its pot luck with amazon customer service!

I had a similar issue with Amazon Warehouse today. I received a game but it was for an older, obsolete console - I had ordered a remastered version for a current-generation console but this did not come.

So I popped on to chat and was hoping to get it sorted quickly. Took about the same time as you and I spoke to two representatives. The first gave me the same story about refunds and couldn't offer a replacement as it was from Amazon warehouse. I would explain how it was not my fault I received an incorrect order and the annoying rigmarole of returning products to Amazon. I was getting nowhere with this agent so although I don't like doing it, I pulled a Karen and asked to speak the manager on duty. I tried to be as nice about it but firm all the same. I was told that the manager would say the same thing, etc. It took a few minutes but was put through to the second representative. At first, I was given the same spiel like from the first agent. I even asked for them to send out a return slip to me but he said he couldn't. I explained that I was a very loyal customer to Amazon and asked for an email to where I could file a complaint. This caused him to budge and he processed a refund as an exception, telling me I could keep the product. I said I would rather have had a replacement but this wasn't possible and I decided not to push any further.

So what I say is to insist with them. I buy a lot from Amazon regularly and the majority is fine but you really have to push your point, especially if someone slips up on their end and sends the wrong product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Can I ask what parcel service people are using for returns to the Amazon returns centre in the UK these days? Most services seem to be quoting €20 or more, with Amazon saying they'll refund up to £9 worth of postage for my return.

• Advertisement

I've been using up some Parcel Motel credit, but almost €16.50 for their largest locker size parcel to UK.
    https://parcelmotel.com/prices/#prices-send

Find them very convenient for sending, compared to visiting a Post Office during opening hours, or waiting for a courier to pick up.

Where the return was due to a fault or some other issue on the AZ side, I've had luck escalating with CS chat to get full cost of return refunded - though they seem to be stingier now and not worth my time chasing a few euro (years ago I ordered a 50" TV which was DOA and quotes to send it back were more than the value of the TV, but they still covered it!). For out of policy payments, they seem slightly more open to issuing an Amazon gift card rather than refund to payment card.

That LED bluetooth speaker doesn't deliver to Ireland, by the looks of it. Is addresspal still the only way to get around that?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

That LED bluetooth speaker doesn't deliver to Ireland, by the looks of it. Is addresspal still the only way to get around that?

There is a solution. It all depends on where you live in Ireland and how far you are willing to travel to get stuff. Obviously, you won't be using my way every day but you can certainly use it to collect big stuff or the likes of vitamins and batteries that don't deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

robbie1876 wrote: »
    Can I ask what parcel service people are using for returns to the Amazon returns centre in the UK these days? Most services seem to be quoting €20 or more, with Amazon saying they'll refund up to £9 worth of postage for my return.

Just returned a charging cable there today using An Post. Regular shipping €2.90 and if I wanted it registered they were looking for over €9. Just sent it regular as it was a low value item.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

pissed wrote: »
    Just returned a charging cable there today using An Post. Regular shipping €2.90 and if I wanted it registered they were looking for over €9. Just sent it regular as it was a low value item.

Just get proof of postage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

robbie1876 wrote: »

My handful of returns have either been returness or An Post paid for by Amazon. Parcel going back to Portlaoise.

Are Amazon Logistics handling your deliveries, or is it mostly still An Post?

Returns seem to be up to me to arrange/pay for now (and claim back up to £9), possibly related to Amazon Logistics delivering almost everything in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭SourSessions

MugsGame wrote: »
    Are Amazon Logistics handling your deliveries, or is it mostly still An Post?

Returns seem to be up to me to arrange/pay for now (and claim back up to £9), possibly related to Amazon Logistics delivering almost everything in my area.

An Post deliver everything for me and I also am 95% send and pay since the last month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Good to have the forum back finally.

I received £49.64 Import Fee Deposit Refund on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 lite, I'm delighted. It means after Samsung cash back I got the Buds live and Tab S6 lite for €117, bargain of the month? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mbarosin

Not for the same product, but I received two import fee refunds for one Prime Day purchase. The initial one was lower than I expected, the second one looked correct.

This happen to anyone else? I bought the product on Prime Day and talked to the chat team after I realised I was overcharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

I’ve a return for Amazon, label says its to go to Dunfermline. It’s under 1kg but the box is 45x35x8 cms, the value is €30, the cheapest quote I’ve gotten is €18.50.

I tried ParcelMotel but they said they are no longer doing it.

I tried the An Post calculator and that was more expensive.

Its not looking economical to return it for me.

I also got about £80 import fees returned on my laptop order. Ended up getting this laptop for about £200! 🤯

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Go onto chat and ask if they'll cover the full amount. I did recently and they said they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Today I'm very grateful to the person who posted the usb desk fan a few weeks ago. At the time I thought it wasn't a very necessary purchase but bought it anyway. Today I'm glad I did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I had to return a small item that cost me £10. Postage cost me €2.30 and Amazon refunded me a total of £18 to include covering postage.

I foresee a profitable enterprise in ordering and returning stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yea, similar with me. I received a package from them this week. Much to my surprise, it looked like the warehouse guy mixed up someone elses order with my own package. I wanted a wireless doorbell and a fitbit strap but instead received light switches and two used books on feminism. Pissed off that they asked me to return it on my own dime and wouldn't refund the goods until they received the return.

I paid €18 to ship it back via registered post (even though item was only worth about 15 quid..) , and customer service sent me £18 credit on the account fairly quick. Small profits there in CX but not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Hi guys, I have to buy a number of items that are below the import duty fee. Am I right in thinking, If I buy them altogether, I'll get hit with import duty and would be better off buying each one individually?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Import duty is on everything since first of July

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

Anyone having trouble with packages been stuck in Dublin after it has been sorted. been waiting last monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭kindalen

Usb fans bought from here more than paying for themselves 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Two small packages stuck in Dublin for the last 1-2 weeks. Same item as well, first one had to be replaced as it was stuck for so long. Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

make sure you purchase one's that are truly portable i.e. one's with a rechargeable battery

Does anyone else give a little wistful sigh as they buy something for <£20 and think of the good old days and how much it would have been then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Bought something last week for first time since the new Vat changes, wasn't too bad,

• Items:
    • £12.52
    • Postage & Packing:
    • £0.00
    • Total before VAT:
    • £12.52
    • VAT:
    • £2.88
    • Total:
    • £15.40
    • Order Total:
    • £15.40