Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,291 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Markitron wrote: »
    It’s implying that the game’s I mentioned earlier aren’t ‘actual’ PS5 titles. There is frequently something inflammatory and/or elitist about Kotaku’s article titles.

I kinda get that, but Demon's Souls is a remake of an approx. 10 year old game and Astrobot is like a giant tech demo (but isn't big enough to be a full game in itself).

I think their point is that it's a full game, new franchise, post launch release window, exclusive game which takes full advantage of PS5 features. I think whatever about Kotaku in general, I really don't see anything wrong with their title for this article.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It’s implying that the game’s I mentioned earlier aren’t ‘actual’ PS5 titles. There is frequently something inflammatory and/or elitist about Kotaku’s article titles.

You're reading far too much into it, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Initial impressions are good. It looks and plays really well, the sound design is amazing. You can hear individual raindrops hitting the ground if you have the PS5 headset.

The gameplay loop of dying and returning is interesting, I am enjoying it, for now, but that might not be the case after 100 restarts. What is good is that dying is not just "the game is hard so we kill you a lot" but dying is part of the narrative. You kinda have to die to gain more understanding of what is happening which is pretty cool.

It has lots of great ideas so I do hope it has a trick up its sleeve to prevent the restarting from becoming annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Initial impressions are good. It looks and plays really well, the sound design is amazing. You can hear individual raindrops hitting the ground if you have the PS5 headset.

The gameplay loop of dying and returning is interesting, I am enjoying it, for now, but that might not be the case after 100 restarts. What is good is that dying is not just "the game is hard so we kill you a lot" but dying is part of the narrative. You kinda have to die to gain more understanding of what is happening which is pretty cool.

It has lots of great ideas so I do hope it has a trick up its sleeve to prevent the restarting from becoming annoying.

Outer Wilds had that restart loop but it was tied to a timer I think.

Also the sound thing isn't just available on Sony headsets it's available on them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'd be surprised if the loop mechanic worked half as well as Outer Wilds but i remember hearing about that and writing it off before playing it like how could that ever be fun. Turned out to be one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had in gaming so will see how this handles it. Can't get hyped for it though, will wait for reviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Sorry if already posted but is anyone else on PS5 suffering with really bad speed up lag since the update a few days ago?

I've had virtually no issues up until now, but every game mode in FIFA has become unplayable with the constant lag and then speed up.

I'm also having issues with Spotify and other apps dropping out with what seems to be connection issues even though every other device is perfect and the connection is great.

From searching online it seems to be a relatively common issue but yet with no real solutions as of yet?

I've tried wired, unwired, resetting everything, deleting my WiFi connection and doing that again, all with no luck.

I'm at my wits end with it now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭markc91

so noob for the ps5 here, two questions, 1. for ps4 games with the ps5 upgrade such as cod and madden 21 can i delete the ps4 version from my storage and still play ps5 version & 2. what is the best hard drive to add space as my ps is already full with cod, madden and astro?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Finally remembered to download Horizon earlier. Just got Vodafone 500Mb installed today. PS5 was downloading at 400Mb (50MB/s) on 2.4GHz WiFi. Don't miss 10MB/s speeds from the PS4 Pro when wired. The full download speeds on PlayStation Network are a huge quality of life improvement. No need to hoard games I won't play because the downloads and updates took forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

BrentMused wrote: »
    Sorry if already posted but is anyone else on PS5 suffering with really bad speed up lag since the update a few days ago?

I've had virtually no issues up until now, but every game mode in FIFA has become unplayable with the constant lag and then speed up.

I can't say that I've noticed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,291 ✭✭✭✭Penn

markc91 wrote: »
    so noob for the ps5 here, two questions, 1. for ps4 games with the ps5 upgrade such as cod and madden 21 can i delete the ps4 version from my storage and still play ps5 version & 2. what is the best hard drive to add space as my ps is already full with cod, madden and astro?

1. Yes, you can delete the PS4 version of games and just have the PS5 version installed. The PS5 versions usually also take up less space on the hard drive too.

2. Can't really add storage space with a hard drive yet. You can use any external hard drive to transfer some games to, but you can't play them off the external hard drive, would have to transfer them back when you want to play it. They'll be releasing details on proper additional storage drives later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Penn wrote: »
    2. Can't really add storage space with a hard drive yet. You can use any external hard drive to transfer some games to, but you can't play them off the external hard drive, would have to transfer them back when you want to play it. They'll be releasing details on proper additional storage drives later in the year.

You can play ps4 games from an external drive, just not ps5 ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

OhHiMark wrote: »
    You can play ps4 games from an external drive, just not ps5 ones.

*terms and conditions apply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭BrentMused

lertsnim wrote: »
    I can't say that I've noticed this.

Thanks for your reply.

From browsing Reddit it seems that the new update has caused some connectivity issues for some users.

It was even at the stage where Spotify will often stop to buffer on me due to the above.

It seems that the post-update the connection had been set to automatic and thus was bouncing back and forth between 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

I changed it back to permanently be on 5ghz and speed test is showing my usual, fast speed.

FIFA still suffering from speed up lag but I'm happy that that's an EA issue rather than a PS5 issue as COD and NBA 2K are running fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

BrentMused wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

From browsing Reddit it seems that the new update has caused some connectivity issues for some users.

It was even at the stage where Spotify will often stop to buffer on me due to the above.

It seems that the post-update the connection had been set to automatic and thus was bouncing back and forth between 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

I changed it back to permanently be on 5ghz and speed test is showing my usual, fast speed.

FIFA still suffering from speed up lag but I'm happy that that's an EA issue rather than a PS5 issue as COD and NBA 2K are running fine now.

I don't play online too often but i have noticed that wifi connection doesn't drop anymore: normally it would drop when downloading heavier games and the console would need to be shut down and then it would finish the download (unless it dropped again)

Horizon downloaded with no issues so i think the lastest update fixed it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

TheBalcony wrote: »
    Also is Horizon free for a few months only or do you get to keep forever once you download it?

once you add it to your library, it's there forever (until they get rid of the stores :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Bought another controller on Amazon the other day from their warehouse used like new. So I assumed it be fine...

Anyway went to go use it today some of the buttons feel different circle especially was really tight. Went to play a game and half the buttons wouldn't work at random times but when id switch back to my main controller it was fine.

Anyway returning it to Amazon really annoying taught I got a bargain ha.

The one thing I'll never buy 2nd hand is a controller. Either the battery will be dodgy or the buttons will have a problem. Very rare you'd actually get a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The one thing I'll never buy 2nd hand is a controller. Either the battery will be dodgy or the buttons will have a problem. Very rare you'd actually get a good one.

Ya I know now anyway ha. Shouldn't be selling them on Amazon listed as like new though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Amazon has a deal with the controller and PS5 version of Mortal Kombat 11 for €80ish. Works out around 16 euro for MK11.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09219VDL7?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

Can't stand the white, was looking at matte black spray paint from halfords to do the white panels. Anyone any recommendations for brand or done some custom jobs themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

rizzla wrote: »
    Can't stand the white, was looking at matte black spray paint from halfords to do the white panels. Anyone any recommendations for brand or done some custom jobs themselves?

D Brand have black faceplates for sale. I think I'd pay for one of those rater than half arse a spray job and make it look awful.

https://dbrand.com/shop/special-edition/ps5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Think I'll avoid this one and go in fresh June 11.
    Don't need any more convincing on Rift Apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

MikeRyan87 wrote: »
    Think I'll avoid this one and go in fresh June 11.
    Don't need any more convincing on Rift Apart.

I would be getting it day one if it was €60, I'm not paying €80 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭MikeRyan87

I would be getting it day one if it was €60, I'm not paying €80 for it.

I think we are lucky some games aren't even more expensive. 80e does seem a bit high considering R&C 2016 was 40e.
    Hopefully that means there's alot of content/replay value/NGP etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of movement on price from physical discs either alas. Amazon, Smyths etc sticking with RRP for these first party titles, whereas third party stuff is still often a tenner or more off what you’d pay digitally.

High retail game prices often are a feature of new console gens when they start off, so curious to see if it changes as more people own PS5s (don’t expect much movement digitally though).

Yeah 80 is still a lot. Delighted I'm Getting Resi 8 for 60 from Smyths. Some weird pricing as well like ps4 versions that have a free upgrade to ps5 but are cheaper. I've seen Like a Dragon and Subnautica Below Zero both have cheaper PS4 versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah think as long as there's demand for consoles and not a high number of exclusives, prices won't decline too quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

It really does feel like a big jump in price, even shopping around as Johnny mentioned doesn't seem to be much (if any) savings to be had. Maybe its the Yorkshireman in me, but I always felt like I was really treating myself if paying 60 for a new game, especially given within 6-12 months you can usually get it for half the price. Certainly won't be paying 80 on pre-order before there's any reviews etc, just way too big a risk. Only thing may convince otherwise is when GS reopen, I know they (deservedly) get a fair bit of stick, but some of their trade-in deals for preorders were brilliant value

• Advertisement
Advertisement