Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

In case anyone missed it on the State of Play, both Subnautica's get a free ps5 upgrade when the new game is out next month. The original been getting a lot of love on here recently, definitely gonna give it a go once the ps5 version available. From ps blog...

"We’ve also heard all of your queries and questions about the upgrade path for players who already own the first Subnautica on PS4. We’re pleased to confirm that if you own a physical or digital edition of the game you can upgrade to the digital PS5 version at no additional cost. Similarly, those who purchase Below Zero on PS4 will be able to upgrade to the PS5 version for free."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks, missed that! I can't wait to play Below Zero but out the same day as Mass Effect Trilogy so that sets it back a bit for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Stranded deep is coming to ps+. It's worth a blast for free. I played it in early access. It ran out of steam after a few hours but was pretty enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I only recently realised that Rogue was one of the first games I ever played, on Dad's PC. For years I could always visualise it but could never remember the name of it. It was only a few months ago after hearing Rogue-like so often that I googled and found it.

Rogue, Granny's Garden, Police Quest.... F*ck I'm old....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

So if I got sub nautica free does that mean I get the PS5 version too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Markitron wrote: »
    So if I got sub nautica free does that mean I get the PS5 version too?

Yeah, you'll get the PS5 upgrade for free if you already got the game from the Play at Home selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Penn wrote: »
    I only recently realised that Rogue was one of the first games I ever played, on Dad's PC. For years I could always visualise it but could never remember the name of it. It was only a few months ago after hearing Rogue-like so often that I googled and found it.

Rogue, Granny's Garden, Police Quest.... F*ck I'm old....

Jet Set Willy, Bubble Bobble, Ikari Warriors, 1942, Head over Heels... all on the Spectrum 48k.

It amazes more with each passing year how they were able to do so much with 48k.

Yeah, you'll get the PS5 upgrade for free if you already got the game from the Play at Home selection.

Sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Evilbart

So I couldn’t resist after watching some gameplay of Returnal and bit the bullet at €80.

The visuals the sounds and the haptic feedback are fantastic and I am really enjoying the game so far.About 4 hours in with 3 deaths and just defeated the first boss which was intense.Looks fantastic in 4K with HDR and the gunplay movement and shooting mechanics are spot on.

It’s not going to be for everyone so I would recommend watching some reviews first.And as for the price of €80 well I don’t think any game should cost that much but I don’t regret the purchase.

• Advertisement

Can't unsee it now. :D
    As for the price tag, well, hopefully it will discourage people from pre-ordering broken games.

That's why I never beat any of the early Mario games. I don't like being held hostage to any game for any amount of time as it's essentially dictating what you do with your time. Auto saving and manual saving is a technological advancement and a quality of life feature. It's not a gameplay option that by not using you're somehow proving how badass you are like some people out there seem to think it is.

Regarding losing the save due to crashes, I mentioned upthread how stupid it was that you literally can't quit out of the game even if you haven't died and this is a wonderful example of why. Let's be honest, it's just an excuse to show off Sony's rest mode when in actual fact all it highlights is how badly its in need of a Series X like quick resume.

The whole point of a rouguelike is that you will die over and over again and start from the very beginning.You will unlock some small permanent upgrades to make subsequent runs a little easier and get better each time.

If they added a save feature the game would not work as intended and the experience would be completely ruined.

Although I do agree they need to add a feature were I can pause the game and go play something else then when I return I could continue were I left off but a save system that can be manually activated time and time again would break the game.

I'm not saying they should have a manual or auto save feature for Returnal specifically as you're right, that would destroy the concept but at the very least allow people to quit the game without losing progress. If the devs are worried players will abuse the quit feature to bail themselves out of tight spots then only allow quitting outside of combat or make a limited number of quits. Simple. Players should not have to start from the top because of a crash - we're several generations past that nonsense.

Yep 100% agree there has to be some sort of compromise.A solution for continuing the run without breaking the core gameplay.

It’s annoying for example I could be half way through a 2-3 hour run and my brother jumps online to play a bit of COD with me.I would have no choice but to quit the game and lose all my progress if I wanted to join him.

Should be something like a single auto save function, so it's constantly saving your progress, but you can't go back loads to ruin the essential gameplay loop

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Returnal looks interesting and I would ordinarily get it but €80 is just eye watering. If this is the price of new games I’m going to have to wait for sales (which will presumably just drop to the regular price at this rate). It’s especially stark when a service like Game Pass is so popular. Pretty brutal! I did pick up demons souls, but having loved DS1 - 3 I knew I would get good value for that game (plus the lure of new gen game was pretty great then).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The thing is, the concept of "progress" isn't as cut and dry as normal. Where X level takes Y time to complete. So putting you back puts you back Y time.

Because the rooms all shift around I've had times where it took 45 mins to find the boss, another time I found him in 3 or 4. There is a red door into the boss you you can decide if you are powerful enough to take him on or if you want to keep exploring.

Similar with powering up. I've had times when I got great weapons and a great balance of parasites very fast (these give plus and negative traits so you need to consider if you want them for your play style. For example one gives an increased chance of enemies dropping stuff. But the enemies also turn to acid puddles . If you touch a puddle it counts as a hit an you lose your adrenaline Streak.) Other times I'm still farting around with a pistol.

Once you kill a boss you can skip them in future runs and once at biome 3 you can jump to it. But again you run the risk of not spending the time in biome 1&2 to power up.

Lots of risk / reward choice.

It's a very interesting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Let's be honest, it's just an excuse to show off Sony's rest mode when in actual fact all it highlights is how badly its in need of a Series X like quick resume.

You think they're just using it to show off a feature that they've had since the PS4?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Returnal looks like the first PS5 game that I will actually buy................eventually. I watched Skill Up's review of it and it looks incredible, but there is no way I am paying 80 quid for a game, ever!

Just sent this link, upcoming release dates for PS games, might be of interest (wallets at the ready)...

https://www.ign.com/articles/video-game-release-dates-ps4-ps5-xbox-one-series-x-nintendo-switch?utm_source=facebook

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Just sent this link, upcoming release dates for PS games, might be of interest (wallets at the ready)...

https://www.ign.com/articles/video-game-release-dates-ps4-ps5-xbox-one-series-x-nintendo-switch?utm_source=facebook

Game release dates that are any longer than 2 months out are practically meaningless IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

Not sure if this is allowed here. Does anyone know where I can post a PS5 for sale locally.
    Adverts wont allow posting of PS5 ads and CEX are a shower of (not nice people).

I picked one up over Christmas during the hype and I'm just not playing it enough to justify keeping it.
    I want to put it up here as I was able to get it because of all the posts on Boards at the time.

If this isn't allowed, let me know and I'll remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Think I've only ever used Discord once. Twice maybe. As long as it doesn't interfere with me, it's a feature I'll probably never use. It's just a comms platform basically?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Think I've only ever used Discord once. Twice maybe. As long as it doesn't interfere with me, it's a feature I'll probably never use. It's just a comms platform basically?

It's actually a fairly well built tool and is used in a bunch of cool ways. I've joined "Channels" based on learning languages, homebrew software, software dev, and for local gaming. It's share a screen system is good and it's voice comms functionality is arguably the best I've used.

In saying that though, Its probably what I use the least, just because I have to use zoom for work and most of my friends/family use skype or facebook messenger. Shame, it's a great tool

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Mr Crispy wrote: »

Didnt Microsoft buy Discord, or is currently in the process of buying it? Its a really good stable platform and its the 1st step in making cross play seamless tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Didnt Microsoft buy Discord, or is currently in the process of buying it? Its a really good stable platform and its the 1st step in making cross play seamless tbh.

MS were in talks to buy them, but I think Discord pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,824 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm kind of surprised Sony are going to use discord. When everyone wanted cross play Sony were the ones that said no initially because they couldn't guarantee the safety of it's younger users (something to do with chat etc if I remember?).

Discord can be a free for all so unless Sony are going to use the service and lock it down on the PS and exclude other platforms?

I do think it'd be better if Discord was available on all platforms though as it'd make things much easier for everyone.

Advertisement