Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
17-10-2016, 15:07   #61
Doctor DooM
Moderator
 
Doctor DooM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 25,361
I'm seeing all this unadulterated lurve for Luke Cage and I'm kinda surprised, I really thought it took a nosedive post episode 7!

Definitely thought Ms Jones and DD season 1 were superior (although there is plenty to love in Luke Cage).
Doctor DooM is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2016, 16:18   #62
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 15,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor DooM View Post
I'm seeing all this unadulterated lurve for Luke Cage and I'm kinda surprised, I really thought it took a nosedive post episode 7!

Definitely thought Ms Jones and DD season 1 were superior (although there is plenty to love in Luke Cage).
I'm the opposite; I don't get why people disliked the last few episodes...
Nervous Wreck is offline  
17-10-2016, 16:51   #63
FunLover18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Wreck
I'm the opposite; I don't get why people disliked the last few episodes...

Diamondback was just a total let down for me and I don't know why he was there. First half of the season he was built up as this mob overlords who Stokes was afraid of, I though Stokes was like level 1 and Diamondback was the boss at the end. But he arrived and he was just a Spoiler: jealous brother . His connection to Stokes and the mob was never explained; was it pure coincidence that he was manipulating things and Cage showed up or did he know Cage was in Harlem prior. It was just lazy writing and the battle for Harlem took a backseat to a lazily plotted family drama which I had no interest in.

That's a brief summary of why I disliked it.

Last edited by FunLover18; 17-10-2016 at 16:56.
FunLover18 is offline  
17-10-2016, 16:57   #64
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 15,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunLover18 View Post
Diamondback was just a total let down for me and I don't know why he was there. First half of the season he was built up as this mob overlords who Stokes was afraid of, I though Stokes was like level 1 and Diamondback was the boss at the end. But he arrived and he was just a Spoiler: jealous brother . His connection to Stokes and the mob was never explained; was it pure coincidence that he was manipulating things knowing Cage would show up or did he know Cage was in Harlem prior. It was just lazy writing and the battle for Harlem took a backseat to a lazily plotted family drama which I had no interest in.

That's a brief summary of why I disliked it.
Hmm... I kinda liked all that. I really liked how Cottonmouth Spoiler: was the slow-build calculating (though not as clever as he thought he was) villain that came before the lunatic with no real plan and a flimsy motive. It kinda felt like the opposite to the other shows, which I liked. I really liked when Spoiler: Shades realised just how stupid Diamondback was for his lack of a plan. I have to say as well, I was really excited by the inclusion of Spoiler: Hammer tech and I was possibly overly excited by the Spoiler: Serpent Society costume reveal...
Nervous Wreck is offline  
17-10-2016, 16:58   #65
Mickeroo
Administrator
 
Mickeroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 28,928
I thought LC started out very cliched and just downright poor in terms of some of the dialogue and characters but improved as it went along. Didn't think it hit the heights of JJ or DD and it suffered from the same thing as JJ where I felt it peaked about 3 or 4 episodes too soon then just felt a bit aimless for the last few episodes.
Mickeroo is offline  
Advertisement
17-10-2016, 23:40   #66
FunLover18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Wreck View Post
Hmm... I kinda liked all that. I really liked how Cottonmouth Spoiler: was the slow-build calculating (though not as clever as he thought he was) villain that came before the lunatic with no real plan and a flimsy motive. It kinda felt like the opposite to the other shows, which I liked. I really liked when Spoiler: Shades realised just how stupid Diamondback was for his lack of a plan. I have to say as well, I was really excited by the inclusion of Spoiler: Hammer tech and I was possibly overly excited by the Spoiler: Serpent Society costume reveal...
But they built DB up as someone who did have a plan. Spoiler: Shaeds got really pissy when Stokes threatened Luke and said something along the lines of 'DB has plans for him'. I was hoping and expecting something better than 'he just wants to kill him' It did nothing for me, but it did for you, so there you go different strokes.

I did enjoy the Hammer tech (really wish they'd get Rockwell back somehow) although as mentioned I was disappointed that it ended with two guys beating on each other (especially when Spoiler: all Luke had to do was smash/rip off the power source on DB's back. The Serpent Society means nothing to me as I've never read the comics.
FunLover18 is offline  
18-10-2016, 11:47   #67
Doctor DooM
Moderator
 
Doctor DooM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 25,361
I think I can't get past, after a couple years of nuanced, complicated, interesting villains that Luke Cage reverts to one of the oldest tricks in the superhero book Spoiler: the insane brother. It was like watching a superhero film from the 90's, the way it was portrayed.

I do have to stress though that I enjoyed Luke Cage waaaay more than most other crap I've seen on TV, it's just that the competition (both DC and Marvel) have such high water marks on TV when they're good.
Doctor DooM is offline  
22-10-2016, 20:00   #68
Agent Coulson
Registered User
 
Agent Coulson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 48,670
‘Jessica Jones’ Hires All Women Directors for Season 2

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/jess...rg-1201897203/
Agent Coulson is offline  
26-10-2016, 10:14   #69
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!
 
ancapailldorcha's Avatar
Watching the finale tonight. Thought it was a bit flat for the first few episodes. The second half of the season is a big improvement so far and I like the idea of Spoiler: switching the villains. Diamondback is a great villain though the twist was a bit weak. The Judas bullets added a nice dimension in that we get to see Cage's powers act against him as well.
ancapailldorcha is online now  
Advertisement
26-10-2016, 12:34   #70
steve_r
Registered User
 
steve_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,484
I couldn't get into JJ, finished Luke Cage recently. I think the acting is good but the writing is poor, both in terms of plot and really naff dialogue at times.

The scene where Misty was being interviewed was particularly bad for clunky exposition dialogue.

I prefered Daredevil becuase the surrounding world seemed to be a lot more coherent. A lot of time was spent on the local positics in Luke Cage and it didn't really work for me. There was no real media/journalistic personalities challenging anything that was going on.

As regards Diamondback and Cottenmouth, I actually thought they were both good villans in terms of being actual characters. Contrast with say X-Men Apocolpse where it's just an overpowered bad guy.
steve_r is offline  
09-11-2016, 23:51   #71
Agent Coulson
Registered User
 
Agent Coulson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 48,670
Marvel Has Plans for Possible Ghost Rider Netflix Series or Movie

http://comicbook.com/2016/11/09/ghos...-gabriel-luna/
Agent Coulson is offline  
10-11-2016, 06:20   #72
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,758
Strange that they'd shift gears like that given they introduced him outside of Netflix, but whatever gets me closer to a Blade show on Netflix I'll take. If GR opens the door to the supernatural side then I'm all for it.
Ben Gadot is offline  
10-11-2016, 17:08   #73
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 15,834
Ugh.... no interest in seeing a Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider show or movie. Give me (a well written version of) Johnny Blaze or give me death!
Nervous Wreck is offline  
04-12-2016, 22:30   #74
Agent Coulson
Registered User
 
Agent Coulson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 48,670
https://twitter.com/LukeCage/status/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Agent Coulson is offline  
(2) thanks from:
05-12-2016, 11:21   #75
pixelburp
Moderator
 
pixelburp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,085
Great news, seemed to be the more divisive Netflix / Marvel show but it was the better of the four so far for me. Could probably do with being a touch shorter, Netflix need to start hiring better editors
pixelburp is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet