Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Marvel Neflix Thread

  • #1
    Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭ brianregan09


    Just thought I'd start a proper thread in here for the netflix shows

    Loved both seasons so far Daredevil and Jessica Jones were both great but in there own way , very different shows too and the punisher season of Daredevil looks like its going to amp it up even more


«13456710

Comments



  • Don't forget Luke Cage getting his own show first. Hopefully sometime before the next Sweet Christmas




  • No ones giving Iron Fist the love... :(




  • No ones giving Iron Fist the love... :(

    I'm sure that there is a double-entendre there somewhere ;)

    01001110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01000111 01101111 01101110 01101110 01100001 00100000 01000111 01101001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01010101 01110000





  • Iron Fist will definitely be the toughest one to get right, but I have nothing but confidence in them. Daredevil and Jessica Jones were both outstanding imo, largely in part to being able to properly develop the story of the villains. The MCU has been going down this route of just killing off the villains, and given how little time is available in some of the movies to develop the villains, they just end up feeling quite bland. Incredible performances from some of them, James Spader and Guy Pierce in particular, but they're just booted away never to be seen again.

    There's a reason Loki is one of the most popular characters as a whole in the MCU; his story in the films was given a proper chance to shine and because they haven't killed him off, he's been able to come back and continue his story.

    But the Netflix shows have given us two incredible villains in Kingpin and Kilgrave. Both excellent performances which in many cases outshone the heroes.




  • For me, Daredevil has been the strongest Marvel TV adaptation to date, to the extent that it pretty much evaporated any remaining enthusiasm I had for Agents of SHIELD. Compared with those vigorous shenanigans in Hells Kitchen, the ABC show felt flat, bland and excessively ... 'Network'y. It never managed to maintain a prolonged period of competency to keep my interest & Daredevil was a much more intriguing use of my time.

    Jessica Jones on the other hand, I found pretty turgid; grimy, but not particularly compelling with a cast of characters that were either utterly unrelatable & unlikeable, or worse; just plain uninteresting. That said, Kilgrave was a masterstroke, and one of the very few genuinely villainous & threatening antagonists Marvel adaptations have managed.


  • Advertisement


  • I can't wait for Iron Fist that's the one that will be the toughest as some have said to get right but if they do it has the potential to be the best with a bit of supernatural kung fu stuff in there

    Hopefully we can get a cameo of him in Luke Cage before hand or vice versa

    Loved Daredevil I think getting Berenthal to play the Punisher will be a masterstroke , He's been immense in everything I've seen him in from Fury to Wolf of Wall street and played a very Punisher like character in the Walking dead as Shane and he was compelling in that , was actually sickened to see him go

    I liked JJ alot it was very different yet similarish Tenant was class as the villain probably one of the best so far in a marvel adaptation




  • Game of Thrones actor Finn Jones to play Iron Fist
    http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/25/finn-jones-iron-fist




  • Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Game of Thrones actor Finn Jones to play Iron Fist
    http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/25/finn-jones-iron-fist

    Needs a haircut but I can see him as Danny Rand alright! Physically, anyway. I've never seen GoT so I've no idea what he's like as an actor...




  • Needs a haircut but I can see him as Danny Rand alright! Physically, anyway. I've never seen GoT so I've no idea what he's like as an actor...

    What the holy f**k you've never seen GoT?

    01001110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01000111 01101111 01101110 01101110 01100001 00100000 01000111 01101001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01010101 01110000





  • I've never seen Game Of Thrones either :pac:, but I digress.


  • Advertisement


  • Cork_exile wrote: »
    What the holy f**k you've never seen GoT?

    No but I feel like I have with the amount of spoilers people post openly on Facebook...




  • I'd ask why you guys hadn't even given GoT a go, but honestly I suspect I might know the why. Gave up myself after 3 seasons of it so I'm no judge.

    Anyway, as for Finn Jones, he looks the part. I am curious as to whether Iron Fist will continue the broadly grittier, urban level of the other Netflix shows (I'm guessing the Luke Cage one will also, considering he's already part of Jessica Jones). Presumably it will, but honestly a tonal shift towards something lighter would be nice. The film franchises are happy to do it, wouldn't mind something more ... fun... from Netflix




  • pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd ask why you guys hadn't even given GoT a go, but honestly I suspect I might know the why. Gave up myself after 3 seasons of it so I'm no judge.

    Anyway, as for Finn Jones, he looks the part. I am curious as to whether Iron Fist will continue the broadly grittier, urban level of the other Netflix shows (I'm guessing the Luke Cage one will also, considering he's already part of Jessica Jones). Presumably it will, but honestly a tonal shift towards something lighter would be nice. The film franchises are happy to do it, wouldn't mind something more ... fun... from Netflix

    There's plenty of fun in the movies, AoS and Agent Carter, the darker more adult tone of the Netflix shows is a nice change from the rest of the MCU imo.

    Speaking of which I've just finished the second season of Agent Carter and it's really very good.




  • Mickeroo wrote: »
    There's plenty of fun in the movies, AoS and Agent Carter, the darker more adult tone of the Netflix shows is a nice change from the rest of the MCU imo.

    Speaking of which I've just finished the second season of Agent Carter and it's really very good.

    I think above all else the Marvel franchises have demonstrated an ability to mix and match genres and tonal levels on a whim, so there's no reason why the Defenders saga couldn't, or shouldn't, do the same.

    Iron Fist could be a good chance to be Netflix's palette cleanser. Certainly, 'adult' shouldn't be incompatible with 'fun' & just because Netflix isn't hemmed in by the same narrative and stylistic constraints an achingly network show like Agents of Shield is, doesn't mean it shouldn't embrace a spirit of fun and adventure now and then.




  • pixelburp wrote: »
    I think above all else the Marvel franchises have demonstrated an ability to mix and match genres and tonal levels on a whim, so there's no reason why the Defenders saga couldn't, or shouldn't, do the same.

    Iron Fist could be a good chance to be Netflix's palette cleanser. Certainly, 'adult' shouldn't be incompatible with 'fun' & just because Netflix isn't hemmed in by the same narrative and stylistic constraints an achingly network show like Agents of Shield is, doesn't mean it shouldn't embrace a spirit of fun and adventure now and then.

    Yeah I'd agree, I'd love to see something similar in tone to Mark Waid's Daredevil or Matt Fraction's Hawkeye comics.

    Iron fist is very tough. I think it's hugely dependent on how charismatic the lead character is in the role. He doesn't have as strong a backstory as Daredevil/spider-man or the same degree of big villans.




  • steve_r wrote: »
    Yeah I'd agree, I'd love to see something similar in tone to Mark Waid's Daredevil or Matt Fraction's Hawkeye comics.

    Iron fist is very tough. I think it's hugely dependent on how charismatic the lead character is in the role. He doesn't have as strong a backstory as Daredevil/spider-man or the same degree of big villans.

    I'm sorry but are you kidding?! If you've not read Iron Fist comics, read no further, folks: Danny Rand
    travels with his parents to the mystical city of K'un-L'un at age 9. On the way there, his sees his father fall from a cliff to his death and his mother eaten alive by wolves while attempting to save him. He then makes it to K'un-L'un and gets trained in Kung Fu, eventually earning the power of the Iron Fist by vanquishing a dragon and plunging his fists into its molten heart! He plunges his fists into the MOLTEN HEART OF A VANQUISHED DRAGON!!
    That is one of the best, most badass backstories of ANY Marvel hero, imo. It may not be as well known as Spider-man's origins but neither was Daredevil's until a few years ago.

    I do agree that I'd like to see something like Waid's Daredevil or Fraction's Hawkeye and I actually think Fraction's version of Hawkeye could fit well in the Netflix universe... but I'd like Danny Rand to be Danny Rand in this not a mix of Danny Rand and Fraction's Clint Barton. Although, I'd be totally up for a Kate Bishop appearance!




  • In all fairness, Iron Fist's origin story is pretty cool.




  • but I'd like Danny Rand to be Danny Rand in this not a mix of Danny Rand and Fraction's Clint Barton.

    c2912674ca1980690be979bd2102f391.jpg
    tumblr_m32yr8NkhC1r6h499o1_500.jpg




  • I stand corrected! I had a much more vanilla backstory in my mind for some reason.

    Clearly you're closer to the Iron Fist lore than I am, he's just not a character that ever really clicked with me.

    Where I'm coming from with the Fraction/Waid stuff is to allow the story to be light sometimes, I don't need the character to be like Hawkeye/Daredevil at his own expense, I just don't want more Gotham level of grimness




  • Haha,Ridley was wondering if I'd be caught on that!
    steve_r wrote: »
    I stand corrected! I had a much more vanilla backstory in my mind for some reason.

    Clearly you're closer to the Iron Fist lore than I am, he's just not a character that ever really clicked with me.

    Where I'm coming from with the Fraction/Waid stuff is to allow the story to be light sometimes, I don't need the character to be like Hawkeye/Daredevil at his own expense, I just don't want more Gotham level of grimness

    I despise Gotham but yeah I get ya. Tbh, were probably in the same boat in thinking Waid's DD and Fraction's Hawkeye are some of Marvel's best output in a decade but I don't think it'd fit here, particularly the levity of DD. I do hope someone takes influence from those stories soon though...!


  • Advertisement


  • No but I feel like I have with the amount of spoilers people post openly on Facebook...

    It's ridiculous. I had an episode ruined by someone, who gave out to me discussing the books with a friend before the series even started airing.
    They think that the moment they see it stateside that it's fair game to post

    01001110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01000111 01101111 01101110 01101110 01100001 00100000 01000111 01101001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01010101 01110000





  • A better look at the new Daredevil costume, and those of The Punisher and Elektra; I quite like Murdock's new duds, definitely feels more like body armour than the slightly goofy, 90s esque variant we saw at the end of season 1. The promise of Frank Castle wielding a minigun is also pretty noteworthy :D

    http://imgur.com/p3IOkJm




  • Luke Cage to debut on Netflix in September, September 30th to be precise.
    http://mcuexchange.com/luke-cage-season-one-to-debut-on-netflix-on-september-30th/




  • Given how intrinsic to events Luke was in Jessica Jones, wonder if his series will be vice versa & in what form the series will take.




  • pixelburp wrote: »
    Given how intrinsic to events Luke was in Jessica Jones, wonder if his series will be vice versa & in what form the series will take.

    There have been rumours that parts of it will run concurrently with JJ, yep. I'd like it if the first half of LC was tied with JJ and then it continued on its own after the events of JJ. That'd be pretty interesting.




  • Another Daredevil season 2 trailer, with the new series out on Friday. Looking good





  • So finished it this evening what did everyone think ?




  • So finished it this evening what did everyone think ?

    Easily better than S1 for me, which was a really tall order. I thought every moment The Punisher was onscreen was fantastic. Also a huge amount of plot threads left open for the next season, as well as
    a stand-alone Punisher show and more set-up/world building for Iron Fist
    . Great stuff!


  • Advertisement


  • Jeremy Renner said over the weekend he would open to bringing Hawkeye to Netflix.


Advertisement