Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33x Bus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kaiserjim

Can anybody tell me what time the 6.30 depature from skerries arrives opp Kellys garage and what is the likelyhood of a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

kaiserjim wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me what time the 6.30 depature from skerries arrives opp Kellys garage and what is the likelyhood of a seat.

From 06.56 on a good morning to 07.05 on a bad wet morning
    I have always got a seat on this service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

6pm 33X was packed this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Was it one of the bigger buses?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

New enough, not one with a second set of doors, though.

• Advertisement

They should really be using the VT (three axle) buses on every 33X in the morning and evening. Have lost count of the number of times I've sent an email to Dublin Bus requesting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

dcr22B wrote: »
    They should really be using the VT (three axle) buses on every 33X in the morning and evening. Have lost count of the number of times I've sent an email to Dublin Bus requesting this.

Has it occurred to you that:
    1) There are a limited number of VTs
    2) That they're needed elsewhere too

There are no spare VTs sitting in depots - they are all out on the road in the morning peak.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Has it occurred to you that:
    1) There are a limited number of VTs
    2) That they're needed elsewhere too

There are no spare VTs sitting in depots - they are all out on the road in the morning peak.
    Of course it has occurred to me especially on the occasions that I have sat on numerous half empty VT 46As travelling from my in laws in rush hour when I am staying out in Dun Laoghaire.

It especially infuriates me when I am left standing waiting for another 30m when a full to the rafters AV comes around the corner.

Of course it has occurred to me especially on the occasions that I have sat on numerous half empty VT 46As travelling from my in laws in rush hour when I am staying out in Dun Laoghaire.

It especially infuriates me when I am left standing waiting for another 30m when a full to the rafters AV comes around the corner.

I very much doubt that any VT is half empty inbound on the Stillorgan QBC in the morning peak. It is certainly not the case from my observations. In fact, people in Stillorgan and in Cabinteely were complaining recently in C & T about not being able to get onto buses in the morning as they were all full.

There are no spare buses floating around - that is the reality. If you get them, somewhere else has to suffer.

I very much doubt that any VT is half empty inbound on the Stillorgan QBC in the morning peak.

There are no spare buses floating around - that is the reality. If you get them, somewhere else has to suffer.
    It has happened albeit moreso when the colleges have been on their summer break.

I fully accept that there are few spare buses around the place but that's no excuse to have a service that can't cater for capacity when the demand is there for it. Instead Dublin Bus have the cheek to increase their prices.

On a separate note, I wonder is it legal for Dublin Bus to be running buses on the M1 through the Port Tunnel wedged full with passengers standing??

• Advertisement

It has happened albeit moreso when the colleges have been on their summer break.

I fully accept that there are few spare buses around the place but that's no excuse to have a service that can't cater for capacity when the demand is there for it. Instead Dublin Bus have the cheek to increase their prices.

On a separate note, I wonder is it legal for Dublin Bus to be running buses on the M1 through the Port Tunnel wedged full with passengers standing??

Well every route has less people during the summer. That is hardly the time to judge loadings. Right now I think you will find that every VT is needed where it is already in service.

If you want bigger buses you will have to ask the NTA - they are responsible for providing new buses, and paying for increased services. Ultimately the NTA are responsible for the services now - not Dublin Bus, and they don't seem to have the same enthusiasm for increasing the 33X capacity.

Well every route has less people during the summer. That is hardly the time to judge loadings. Right now I think you will find that every VT is needed where it is already in service.

If you want bigger buses you will have to ask the NTA - they are responsible for providing new buses, and paying for increased services. Ultimately the NTA are responsible for the services now - not Dublin Bus, and they don't seem to have the same enthusiasm for increasing the 33X capacity.
    I fully accept that but I spent two weeks staying out in Dun Laoghaire looking after my sister in law's house back in March. Got the 46A every morning onboard a VT and there were a few occasions where there were 10-20 seats consistently unoccupied on an 8am departure from DL.

Dublin Bus have no interest in increasing the capacity because they simply couldn't give a f**k about the 33X. I bet they curse Irish Rail every day for the Malahide viaduct misfortune as they only bowed to local representatives' pressure to keep the service on once the viaduct was repaired.

I don't want to be seen to be arguing with you but you can understand my frustration when you see other services around the city not running to capacity occasionally but I guess I just have to get used to it.

I fully accept that but I spent two weeks staying out in Dun Laoghaire looking after my sister in law's house back in March. Got the 46A every morning onboard a VT and there were a few occasions where there were 10-20 seats consistently unoccupied on an 8am departure from DL.

Dublin Bus have no interest in increasing the capacity because they simply couldn't give a f**k about the 33X. I bet they curse Irish Rail every day for the Malahide viaduct misfortune as they only bowed to local representatives' pressure to keep the service on once the viaduct was repaired.

I don't want to be seen to be arguing with you but you can understand my frustration when you see other services around the city not running to capacity occasionally but I guess I just have to get used to it.

Every route in the city has empty seats during the summer - really that is not the point and it is an irrelevance as the buses are currently all full.

The point is that Dublin Bus do not hold the purse strings for this. The NTA do. You don't seem to be grasping that.

I do fully understand your problem and your frustration, but you are aiming your ire in the wrong direction. You should be getting in touch with the NTA as they are responsible for deciding what service levels are on the route.

My understanding is that Dublin Bus were perfectly happy to retain the 33X, and are happy to do so currently, but are dependent upon the NTA sanctioning any improvement.

So I would suggest you start getting in touch with the NTA, as they hold the purse strings.

The point is that Dublin Bus do not hold the purse strings for this. The NTA do. You don't seem to be grasping that.

Because until you stated it above, I simply did not know that.

It would be an idea if Dublin Bus (instead of giving me the some crap of a response every time I email them) had told me that so I could get off their case.

Thanks for the headsup but how likely are the NTA going to listen to my/other requests, pointless banging heads of a brick wall. Will simply just march on with the service we have which to be fair 95% of the time caters to our needs up here.

Because until you stated it above, I simply did not know that.

It would be an idea if Dublin Bus (instead of giving me the some crap of a response every time I email them) had told me that so I could get off their case.

Thanks for the headsup but how likely are the NTA going to listen to my/other requests, pointless banging heads of a brick wall. Will simply just march on with the service we have which to be fair 95% of the time caters to our needs up here.

Well to be honest it's fairly obvious - every fare change and service change now has to be approved by them!!

They dictate what services are operated, and you need to start getting some facts, figures and bombard them instead.

www.nationaltransport.ie is the website.

At the end of the day, they are going to have be convinced that it is worth investing additional money in the 33X - whether they will or not is another question, given that they already pay for the rail service.

But if you don't try, you don't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

It went past the stop at the O2 without stopping. First time that's happened to me on that route. Was raging as I often run from work in Blackrock into town, and then get the bus home from there, so I was left freezing cold in my running gear!

I presumed there must have been a problem with the bus before that one (5.30?) so all those passengers were on the 6pm. Does anyone know if that's the case? If not, I need to reconsider how I fit my running into my commute!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

The 6pm last night was a disaster. It was one of the older small buses and was standing room only when I got on (at the first stop).

The one that leaves Lusk at about 7.30am was just as bad this morning. Honesty was gripped by claustrophobia... fair play to the drivers for getting as many people where they're going as possible but it's way above their safety limits, and were there to be an accident, I dread to think of the consequences. I'm actually dreading the commute these days.

Same story this evening. Driver (not blaming him) had to skip the pick up at the Point Depot. Upstairs (and down) full from the first stop, people sitting on the stairs.

Again it was a smaller older bus. They're aware these don't meet the capacity on the route. Would they not be better of pulling one of the earlier 33x's like the 4.30 or whatever, and putting another one on at peak times like 5.45?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

So it looks like the 6pm 33X is no longer a feasible option for the commute home unless you get on at the first stop (or Dublin Bus introduce a timetable or equipment change). Very disappointing. It's a really handy way for me to get my run done, and it's not fair on others for me and my smelly running gear to get on a jam packed bus!

More importantly, with the bus as packed as it is, is it safe for it to travel at 80kmh along the motorway? Presumably a sudden stop at that speed could easily result in injuries.

• Advertisement

That was exactly my earlier point and something I communicated to Dublin Bus previously. I've been elbowed in the face and had people fall into me just from moderate braking. A crash or even a minor incident would be just.... disastrous.

Was fortunate enough to get the 5:30pm this evening. One of the newer buses with the orange digital display on the front. One or two empty seats downstairs, nobody standing and not packed like sardines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Peckham wrote: »

More importantly, with the bus as packed as it is, is it safe for it to travel at 80kmh along the motorway? Presumably a sudden stop at that speed could easily result in injuries.
    Busses with standing passengers have a limit of 65 kmh
    Motorways are much safer than non-motorway routes, I'd be more concerned with sudden stops on the r128 or the north quay

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

lad doing the home balbriggan service on friday nights should start a run to pick up the people the X leaves behind

Bus was late arriving into Lusk this morning and broke down after the Port tunnel, but he was able to get it started again.

Hello to the person with loud tunes downstairs on the 6pm tonight.

http://dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Route-33x-Timetable-Change/
    Route 33x Timetable Change

Friday, January 10, 2014

Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers of a timetable change to Route 33x from Monday 27th January 2014.
    Revised Route 33x
    Time changes are all inbound and are as follows:
    06:30 from Skerries deferred to 06:35
    06:45 from Skerries deferred to 06:55
    07:05 from Skerries deferred to 07:15
    08:00 from Skerries advanced to 07:55

Fun, so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Don't know why they are leaving later, it's a **** in the mornings, them 5 mins make all the difference traffic wise.

Got this response via email.
    Dublin Bus is currently in the process of implementing an extensive Network review and as part of this we Changed the times of the 33x to make a better for all of our customers as best we can.

It is always the intention of Dublin Bus to provide the most efficient high quality service with the resources available to us. This service is being examined with a view to maximising its efficiency and providing a service that our customers require and this will be dependent on available resources.

We hope the service will settle down over the next week or two as customers find the bus that works best for them on the new schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Got this response via email.

So, I take it they are planning to cancel one of the 33x on the morning. Terrible service, there should be one leaving Skerries every 10 or 15 mins in the morning time as when it gets to Lusk it's like a train in India.

How come the rest of Dublin get a good to great services in the morning but out our way it's just ignored, I'll never understand.

Advertisement