Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

33x Bus

• 08-02-2012 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭

I am just looking for feedback on other users of the 33x bus to town. I was wondering how reliable is it according to the timetable. Does it usually be full when it gets to Lusk and also how long does it roughly take to get to Custom house Quay? Oh yeh and is the adult fare €3.70 each way?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I only used it when the train line was out of action (2010), so my feedback will be quite out of date, but I found it quite efficient. It wasn't full by the time it reached Lusk when I was using it, but it would be fairly full once it had picked up people from there. Walking down to the train some of these mornings now I see some people seem to be heading down to the stop outside some houses on the road to Rush - i.e., going further down than the Orylnn Park stop, so maybe demand on the morning buses is higher, although it could be that they happen to live in the newer estates or on the bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You can use the Travel 90 ticket 10 Journey ticket on the 33x - currently this ticket is priced at €19 which means the fare will only be €1.90. It is going up in price from 19th February to €21.50, but any tickets bought before that date should have a 12-18 month validity period.

Makes far more sense than paying cash.

Cash fare is €4.10 and leap card fare is €3.75.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

The 33X is starting to become a bit of a bugbear for me. I get on at the stop opposite Kelly's Garage and I am now lucky if I:

a) get a seat

or

b) sometimes it drives straight past us full.

I have made this point very clear to Dublin Bus and they have provided the larger 3 axle buses but some mornings even they have been too full. I can only guess that people in Lusk are now copping on to the fact that it's quicker and cheaper to get into town on these express buses than having to get to the train station and pay for parking on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

lxflyer wrote: »
    You can use the Travel 90 ticket 10 Journey ticket on the 33x - currently this ticket is priced at €19 which means the fare will only be €1.90. It is going up in price from 19th February to €21.50, but any tickets bought before that date should have a 12-18 month validity period.

Makes far more sense than paying cash.

Cash fare is €4.10 and leap card fare is €3.75.

You can also get another bus in the city if the 33x isn't where you want to go.

I used the 33x in the mornings, used to arrive in about a 5min window each morning and maybe a bit more variable in the evenings. Also a bit of a delay likely to come up with the M1 widening.

Mrs Carawaystick walks up to the bottom shop as there's a bit of shelter if it rains and greater chance of a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 shanemasseyman

it depends what bus you get the 6.30 one you get to d'oiler street between 7.19 and 7.27.

i used to have the seat problem but then walked the thd op bus stop.

ant thicket works, i was using a 7 euro child ticket for months. haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I use the X exclusively now for travelling to work - saves a walk to the station in Skerries. The driver packs as many as he can into the bus and I think beyond the limit. A couple of weeks ago 3 people were left standing at Lusk - when we got to the first stop outside the port tunnel 6 people had to get off the bus to allow four or five to alight. You can get four sitting on the stairs and one or two standing on the bottom step. There's definitely a case for more 33X, and at weekends too.

I think they only need one more 33X in the mornings leaving Skerries at 7.15am or 7.45am as it seems a lot more Lusk/Rush people see it as quicker than the train and have switched over.

It's not much fun been left standing most mornings and in some cases, not getting on the bus at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

How long does it usually take to get into the city center on the 33x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

dcr22B wrote: »
    It's not much fun been left standing most mornings and in some cases, not getting on the bus at all.

In fairness, both of these would be rare with the 33X. I regularly get it to/from Lusk (Murrays) and can only think of one occasion when I have had to stand. I generally get the bus leaving Lusk at 7:30ish, and the final one in the evening (leaving Custom House at 6pm).

I remember the days before the Malahide viaduct incident when there was only one 33x in the morning, and not only were you guaranteed a seat on it, you were pretty much guaranteed have all of a double seat to yourself!

@billyhead - it can vary a lot with traffic, but during school term the one leaving Lusk at 7:30 gets to Tara Street dart station by 8:10. The one leaving town at 6pm gets to Lusk at 6:40pm. Expect this all to change with the M1 roadworks though.

Peckham wrote: »
    In fairness, both of these would be rare with the 33X. I regularly get it to/from Lusk (Murrays) and can only think of one occasion when I have had to stand. I generally get the bus leaving Lusk at 7:30ish, and the final one in the evening (leaving Custom House at 6pm).
    In fairness, I get on the bus the stop after you and I normally get the 8am bus and since Xmas, I've spent more time standing on it than sitting as well as the bus not stopping four times in that period and having to wait until the 8.30pm bus.

I've never seen a problem with the buses going home unless the previous bus hasn't arrived to go into service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

I can second dcr22B on the 7.30 (8.00 Lusk) bus. I've seen people being left behind towards the end of the route. Usually the drivers allow everyone to board but the overcrowding seems to be getting worse each week.

Same problem with the 5.30 in the evening, it was ridiculous and more importantly dangerous the amount of people standing on it today. I cannot understand why they keep using buses with huge luggage racks rather than seats in the evening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

We definitely need an extra 33x in the mornings - they're too full.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭cbreeze

billyhead wrote: »
    How long does it usually take to get into the city center on the 33x

The 0630 can take 60 mins and the 0800 1.15 on average.

cbreeze wrote: »
    The 0630 can take 60 mins and the 0800 1.15 on average.

Takes way less than that :confused:

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but this bus is getting really bad in the mornings again.

Both the one that gets to Lusk at 7.30 and the one that gets in at about 7.55 are full to the point of overflowing. Does anyone know how we can go about getting Dublin bus to run an extra bus? I know this isn't always possible but really, it's bad at the moment, and with people standing the whole way up the stairs, it's an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭KD345

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but this bus is getting really bad in the mornings again.

Both the one that gets to Lusk at 7.30 and the one that gets in at about 7.55 are full to the point of overflowing. Does anyone know how we can go about getting Dublin bus to run an extra bus? I know this isn't always possible but really, it's bad at the moment, and with people standing the whole way up the stairs, it's an accident waiting to happen.

Send an email to both Dublin Bus and the National Transport Authority. They might increase the use of larger double deck buses on those departures.

KD345 wrote: »
    Send an email to both Dublin Bus and the National Transport Authority. They might increase the use of larger double deck buses on those departures.

They already are using the new larger ones! It's just a very busy route that seems to be getting overlooked...

Twice this week the 8am arrival to Lusk has gone past the bus stop opposite Kelly's Garage full to the gills.

Have e-mailed Dublin Bus and the NTA, no response as of yet from either.

I know, and twice this week is has also left people opposite Gino's, once it passed by altogether. The 7.30 this morning didn't stop at any Lusk stops (I know someone who was getting it).

I emailed Dublin bus too, just got their standard "we endeavour to reply within 15 working days" message :rolleyes:

There's a female bus driver on that route who has asked for the buses in the morning to be upped to a frequency of every 20 mins. She has asked for people to support the case for this by writing in/emailing/calling. Fair play to her, it's nice to see someone using their intiative. I just hope it actually gets us somewhere.

That's just it, all it would take is one extra bus and the problems would be solved e.g. arrivals in Lusk at 7.30, 7.50, 8.10 and 8.30 would solve all the problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I have just mailed Dublin Bus also about this problem, since the students went back the bus is ridiculously overcrowded

is there anyone else we can hassle in Dublin bus to get them to look into this as a matter of urgency?

I don't think so.... Unless anyone wants to try a local TD? For now, I think the more people call/email etc the better, that way it's obvious what a serious issue it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I don't think so.... Unless anyone wants to try a local TD? For now, I think the more people call/email etc the better, that way it's obvious what a serious issue it is.
    I got a reply saying they were monitoring the numbers on the route. I got the same reply last year though so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Does anyone know why it doesn't seem
    As busy in the evenings?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try asking the guys in the Commuting & Transport forum. They may have some ideas about pressuring CIE on such matters.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Does anyone know why it doesn't seem
    As busy in the evenings?
    Students might be finished earlier in the day and get the earlier Xpress buses home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

got a reply today

I refer to your email Wednesday 3rd October 2012 regarding route 33x.

The Area Operations Manager in Summerhill Depot are currently reviewing the service on the route 33 which includes the route 33x and we welcome any suggestions from customers.

Any scheduled changes have to be approved by the National Transport Authority and details of any changes will be advertised well in advance in the newspapers and our website.

I thank you for taking the time to send us your suggestions.

Regards,

Customer Comment Team

Dublin Bus

Yeah I know someone else who got the same reply.

I still haven't heard anything thouhg.

I don't understand how they're "reviewing the service" when there hasn't even been an inspector on to have a look (not that they'd fit most mornings).

Got the same reply myself and I did actually see an inspectors car parked in Leonards Garage a few weeks back but he seemed to be monitoring the buses going to Skerries/Balbriggan as the schools had just started back the previous week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

I've just started getting the 33X again having been getting lifts in the morning for the past year or so. I've been getting the one leaving Skerries at 6:30 (I get on at Murrays just before 7am), and am amazed at how busy it is.

I used to get the bus after that one (leaving Skerries at 6:45am), and it's even busier than that one used to be this time last year.

Also, does it really take 25 minutes for the bus to get from Skerries to Lusk. Does it leave Skerries on time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bmurphy8177

Emailed Dublin Bus on Monday suggesting they should have extra buses for this route in morning.
    Got similar response.....this route is currently under review and the operations manager in Summerhill will be dealing....etc"

Advertisement