Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colder weather 16th Nov ----->

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Did anyone else just see the feature one daily show on RTE1?? It said very heavy snow and sub zero temperatures are forecast for 2 weeks time? I'm in Co. Derry, i'm quite high up and we've had a few hours of snow already! Yay :)

yes i heard, i coundn't belive it when they said that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Mike65- who said the daily show is an insightful source of meteorology?? I certainly did not!!

Definitely not a regular to the oul weather forum :rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pauldry

Did anyone else just see the feature one daily show on RTE1?? It said very heavy snow and sub zero temperatures are forecast for 2 weeks time? I'm in Co. Derry, i'm quite high up and we've had a few hours of snow already! Yay :)

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/europe

you must be above 3000 whats your exact address?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

pauldry wrote: »
    http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/europe

you must be above 3000 whats your exact address?

:pac: They don't mean today or yesterday, they're talking about the snow Derry got about 3 weeks ago!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The thread was opened on the basis of a single run of the GEM in FI without other model agreement. it was dead when it was opened.

Erm, no, it was not. I cannot decipher the chaos theory. If you are a Mystic Meg then go ahead. If not you put up your forecasts and your money where your mouth is. I won't have a good giggle. I know how difficult it is to forecast at this distance. I accept this was clearly wrong. But I have been right more times then wrong on here. I make no apology for this forecast at all. It was an honest assessment of what was available at the time.

FWIW, those maybe disappointed, it's a mere delay IMO anyway. I will give my thoughts later today on where we are. Maybe it is time other posters did (or at least tried) the same instead of relying on 2 or 3 of us constantly who then get insulted by said others when things go wrong. Weather is not a perfect science. It is by it's nature chaotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

darkman2 wrote: »
    Erm, no, it was not. I cannot decipher the chaos theory. If you are a Mystic Meg then go ahead. If not you put up your forecasts and your money where your mouth is. I won't have a good giggle. I know how difficult it is to forecast at this distance. I accept this was clearly wrong. But I have been right more times then wrong on here. I make no apology for this forecast at all. It was an honest assessment of what was available at the time.

FWIW, those maybe disappointed, it's a mere delay IMO anyway. I will give my thoughts later today on where we are. Maybe it is time other posters did (or at least tried) the same instead of relying on 2 or 3 of us constantly who then get insulted by said others when things go wrong. Weather is not a perfect science. It is by it's nature chaotic.

In fairness darkman that rarely if ever happens around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

darkman2 wrote: »
    Maybe it is time other posters did (or at least tried) the same instead of relying on 2 or 3 of us constantly who then get insulted by said others when things go wrong. Weather is not a perfect science. It is by it's nature chaotic.

Nobody has been insulted as far as I can see, but if you always try to be the first in with a sensationalist thread title weeks in advance, then you do leave yourself open to being wrong. And you also don't like people questioning you, such as I did in the other thread. If anything, that's insulting to me, when the recorded figures back me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Snowc wrote: »
    Its great to see you back mickey with your **** posts :rolleyes:

Meh. Its not a ***** post. If you went through what I went through in the snow of '09, you wouldn't be making remarks like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Going by MT's latest forecast as of this morning, you may forget about any decent cooling trend for the next 10-14 days, which really rules out November for cold weather and snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Well tomorrow is the 16th and the cold hasn't materialised this time!
    Time to close the thread and move our discussions to winter thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Its a bit colder out now than it has been for the previous days, I've been running almost daily and today and this afternoon esp there has been a difference, its not huge but I'd leave this thread be for another 24hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Not everyone likes snow. Deal with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Seeing as Snow has been mentioned, a lot, we should sticky this thread not shut it down.

As I predicted first snow for the 29th (in the October Forecast) I demand that I be proven right....dammit. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Saw my breath for the first time this winter this evening. A sign things are getting colder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Saw my breath for the first time this winter this evening. A sign things are getting colder?
    No real sign of anything yet, just a few charts that are more than 2 weeks out. The next week should stay mild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

This afternoon felt much colder than this morning, so much that I came onto the weather thread looking to see if snow is on the way!

Here's hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

This afternoon felt much colder than this morning, so much that I came onto the weather thread looking to see if snow is on the way!

Here's hoping!

Ha! Here's hoping NOT!

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Thank you. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It could snow any time after tuesday. That is what people want to hear so dammit that is what they will hear!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It could snow any time after tuesday. That is what people want to hear so dammit that is what they will hear!

Agreed. Charts are starting to materialize an agreement which each other now, all of which see the warm and cold mass duke it out over Ireland. We could have 4/5 days of sustained cooler weather before a milder period. After that god knows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Please seek medical advice immediately, there may be a medical reason for your bizarre opinion
    >

If you remember my thread about the heavy snow back in '09, you will see why I hate the snow so much. I have very valid reasons for disliking the snow.

Not everybody likes the snow. Deal with it.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Please seek medical advice immediately, there may be a medical reason for your bizarre opinion
    >

No there isn't. Are you able to imagine what it would be like out in such s****y weather for elderly/infirm/disabled people??

Maybe you should try....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Regaurdless of your situation, if you come into a Cold Weather thread to voice your disliking of snow, it won't be recieved well by the 'snowbies'. :)

John.Icy wrote: »
    Regaurdless of your situation, if you come into a Cold Weather thread to voice your disliking of snow, it won't be recieved well by the 'snowbies'. :)

Meh.

No there isn't. Are you able to imagine what it would be like out in such s****y weather for elderly/infirm/disabled people??

Maybe you should try....?

....or perhaps how people homes, farmland and property is being destroyed and damaged by this lovely harmless incessant rain.............hmmmm, oh wait:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

this is not the place to be complaing museist and mental so take it some where else.
    this is the weather thread some people like the rain or the snow(like me ) u do not have to post in here no one is forcing you

naughto wrote: »
    this is not the place to be complaing museist and mental so take it some where else.
    this is the weather thread some people like the rain or the snow(like me ) u do not have to post in here no one is forcing you

Obviously not. I'm just expressing an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Meh. Its not a ***** post. If you went through what I went through in the snow of '09, you wouldn't be making remarks like that.

I dont know what you went through in '09,but when you come in to a thread and say "**** off snow" it doesnt really add any thing to the thread.Maybe you should start a blog and you can write about how you survided the winter of '09 and also why you hate snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭phone2000

I dont know what you went through in '09,but when you come in to a thread and say "**** off snow" it doesnt really add any thing to the thread.Maybe you should start a blog and you can write about how you survided the winter of '09 and also why you hate snow.

Mickey, I can see where you're coming from, I was on crutches last December and getting around was a right pain in the a**, however, the sights and sounds of people rushing about before Christmas in the snow was magical and I'd be perfectly happy to have a shed load more snow this winter.

• Advertisement

Well maybe you should look up the thread that I created then to get a taste of what it's like....? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

According to my calculations, based on the reverse psychology theory from some posters here, I predict Five Feet of snow for three months.

Massive blackouts and emergency radio communications being provided by Ham Radio operators who will be needed to guide the rescue services to some of our posters.

This event will indeed test the metal and mental in us all.

People mickey has a disability which makes it awfully difficult to get around in the snow. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and although it may not be one you share this is a public forum and he has a right to voice it as long as he isn't breaking any rules.

baraca wrote: »
    People mickey has a disability which makes it awfully difficult to get around in the snow. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and although it may not be one you share this is a public forum and he has a right to voice it as long as he isn't breaking any rules.

thank you.

gbee wrote: »
    According to my calculations, based on the reverse psychology theory from some posters here, I predict Five Feet of snow for three months.

Massive blackouts and emergency radio communications being provided by Ham Radio operators who will be needed to guide the rescue services to some of our posters.

This event will indeed test the metal and mental in us all.

can't wait, bring it on:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Iancar29 wrote: »
    SOrry but i and MANY people would call that TROLLING!! ....

Are you for real or what ian? How is that trolling he's expressing an opinion which he is perfectly entitled to. You try get around in 2 foot of snow in a wheelchair.

I love snow as much as anyone here, But some people don't.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

SOrry but i and MANY people would call that TROLLING!! ....

No-one with any understanding of what trolling means would call it trolling. Trolling is posting unpopular/ignorant opinions purely to provoke a reaction.

People are perfectly entitled to post unpopular opinions that they hold for valid reasons, like Mickey does. Trying to bully and abuse them in to not doing so is unpleasant to read.

Well ok ok i agree... though none of us wish that upon anyone. We just like snow for what it is. simple as

/rant over / deleting previous post as i did go overbaord , i apologise..

Playing BF3 + posting on baords = not good...

• Advertisement

But, in any event, WE DON'T actually MAKE the weather, though, that said I'm buying some snow shoes and polishing my shrine to Godess KHIONE.

gbee wrote: »
    But, in any event, WE DON'T actually MAKE the weather, though, that said I'm buying some snow shoes and polishing my shrine to Godess KHIONE.

299795_10150473699396718_631736717_11116573_1904274230_n.jpg

:D:D:D :cool::cool::cool: :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

299795_10150473699396718_631736717_11116573_1904274230_n.jpg

:D:D:D :cool::cool::cool: :pac::pac::pac:

Ohh they look nice.... linky please ? :)

Ohh they look nice.... linky please ? :)

I got them in The Great Outdoors shop just off Grafton St. , i was able to get a discount there.

At normal price the Boots wer 55 and the thermals 60 ( GOOD QUALITY TOP AND BOTTOMS ) ... I bought them for my trip to Sweden in Jan. :D

Are you for real or what ian? How is that trolling he's expressing an opinion which he is perfectly entitled to. You try get around in 2 foot of snow in a wheelchair.

I hope Im not being bad but I did some googling to see whats out there for those in wheelchairs when it comes to bad weather. There have to be places in the world were regardless of snow / weather conditions people in wheelchairs just have to get about. This is what I came across.... :eek:

TankChair: http://tankchair.net/store/tank-chair-store
    23rpjx0.jpg

I hope Im not being bad but I did some googling to see whats out there for those in wheelchairs when it comes to bad weather. There have to be places in the world were regardless of snow / weather conditions people in wheelchairs just have to get about. This is what I came across.... :eek:

23rpjx0.jpg

Some of us can't afford to buy things like that. :mad:

• Advertisement

Some of us can't afford to buy things like that. :mad:

Do you want us to do something for you? We didn't band together and dump tonnes of snow on you out of spite or something.

I can't actually help it if it snows on you, it snows. Solutions are available. Maybe we can start a fundraising drive, I'll put in my €2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Hey lads-an allyear rounder here. Dont post too much but a daily follower. Give mental mickey a wee break lads. He was a star bar here last year , during the snow despite it being impossible for him to get around.I love everyones comments ( apart from Eoin - sweet jesus ban him again this year ) Im panicing about starting a new job & how my poxy tyres will have me in a tizzy getting there ,where its no joke for him trying to do normal stuff with his wheels .... Fair is fair lads.

Tks Jen.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

23rpjx0.jpg

Just dont think its funny pal sorry. And i no it wasnt ment to be. Im a full time carer and as much as i love snow it can be a bitch to get around in.

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Hey lads-an allyear rounder here. Dont post too much but a daily follower. Give mental mickey a wee break lads. He was a star bar here last year , during the snow despite it being impossible for him to get around.I love everyones comments ( apart from Eoin - sweet jesus ban him again this year ) Im panicing about starting a new job & how my poxy tyres will have me in a tizzy getting there ,where its no joke for him trying to do normal stuff with his wheels .... Fair is fair lads.

Tks Jen.

Well said lucy, Some people on here need to grow up.

kwik wrote: »
    Just dont think its funny pal sorry. And i no it wasnt ment to be. Im a full time carer and as much as i love snow it can be a bitch to get around in.

Your right, I wasnt trying to be funny. I had a google and thats what popped up. I couldnt believe it so I thought Id share. I have no doubt in my mind that those with disabilities have it harder when the weather is bad. Unfortunately we cant help that. All we can do is try and help them out where possible by getting to the shops etc etc....

On a side note. I have huge admiration for you kwik being a full time carer. I have a member of my family who works as a carer and I also have experience as a volunteer working with the mentally disabled and its no easy job, fair play to you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement