Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

rozeboosje wrote: »
    I'm reading a book about the cat's genome. I'm at the bit where it goes CATCATCATCAT it's hilarious.

Which codes for the amino acid histidine and is used to tag DNA sequences!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Just after buying Stephen Kings IT.

The film always sacred me when I was a kid so I said I'll give the book a read!

Anyone ever read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭8mv

Finished The Book Thief yesterday evening and when I stopped sobbing I picked up Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee Hope It's not a slog.
    Good books I read recently were Life After Life by Kate Atkinson and Joseph O'Conners' book of short stories Where Have You Been?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Currently reading "Perfecting Sound Forever" by Greg Milner, about the history of recorded music in its various formats, Edison's wax cylinders to the digital downloads of today. It's fascinating to read about the various format wars throughout the years (cylinder vs disc seems to have been every bit as fierce as cd vs vinyl) that the author recounts & also how the evolution in studio technology has changed the way music is made & our relationship to it. There's some great stuff in the book about various people in the music industry from Alan Lomax & Lead Belly to Bob Dylan & Neil Young & their attitudes to & influence upon technological & cultural evolution in music. Really well written book, can definitely recommend it to any music lover with an interest in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

neverwhere - neil gaiman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Anyone ever read it?
    I read it a few years ago after seeing it on tv, as usual, the book is much better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Anyone ever read it?

Good, long sprawling book.Terrible ending (even for Stephen) and there's one particularly tasteless scene that I really didn't like, you'll know it when you get to it

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Anyone ever read it?

1300 pages of pure brilliance. IT is a masterpiece.

Just noticed the comment above about the "tasteless scene". Probably the biggest WTF moment in any of his books. Truly mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

With my love for true crime books, my latest is:

The Good Nurse by Charles Graeber. Story of a male nurse (Charlie Cullen aka The Angel of death) who murdered in excess of 200 patients over a long career in multiple hospitals. Gives a great insight into his mindset and also into the hospital administrations who covered up their inadequacies in dealing with him and reporting the suspicious deaths to the police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

IT is an amazing book. King has an amazing talent for writing about the interactions and conversations between children and teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Against The Day by Thomas Pynchon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    1300 pages of pure brilliance. IT is a masterpiece.

Just noticed the comment above about the "tasteless scene". Probably the biggest WTF moment in any of his books. Truly mad!
    I read that when I was quite young when I was going through a Stephen King phase. That scene put me off his books for a long time afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I just finished The Shining, thoroughly enjoyed it.

You HAVE to get Dr Sleep, it's brilliant, and so much better than anything more recent he's produced. It even ends well, which is a nice change (Yes Dark Tower I'm talking about you...)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Gone Girl.. It's absolutely brilliant :)

Come back when you're finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Anyone ever read it?

I've never seen the film but decided to give the book a go....had to give up after 2 chapters. My mind was playing tricks on me and was getting too freaked out! Decided to read Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy instead. Halfway through The Subtle Knife and enjoying it, it's a nice easy read but keeping me interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

anncoates wrote: »
    Against The Day by Thomas Pynchon.

I was wondering is it a very dense book with lot of ideas, I tried reading Thomas Pynchon once but found it hard going.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Anyone ever read it?

I've read it twice. Great great read - his best imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I've just borrowed Dracula from the library, for the time of year that's in it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I just finished The Shining, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just recently bought that on my Kindle - think I'll start it tonight :)

Just finished reading "Goodbye, Dearest Holly" by Kevin Wells about his daughters murder by Ian Huntley in 2002 and the court case that followed. What a horrific ordeal that family went through, as well as Jessica Chapmans family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

White Teeth by Zadie Smith

It's really enjoyable, love the slang and colloquialisms used in the dialogue. Funny too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

mariaalice wrote: »
    I was wondering is it a very dense book with lot of ideas, I tried reading Thomas Pynchon once but found it hard going.

Only just started it. :)

I've only read The Crying Of Lot 49 before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

The Sound of Laughter by Peter Kay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Death Comes to Pemberley. Saw PD James speak in Trinity there a couple of weeks ago. It's good, particularly if you're into Austen, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Death Comes to Pemberley. Saw PD James speak in Trinity there a couple of weeks ago. It's good, particularly if you're into Austen, of course.

I really enjoyed Death comes to Pemberly. I just finished Longbourn which was quite good.

Reading Jeanette Winterson's Why be happy when you could be normal. So far so good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Yup

I'm drunk.

The warded man trilogy. Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

"Honour Thy Father."

The story of Salvatore Bonnano son of Mafia boss Joe Bonanno, A Sicilian immigrant to NY who was awarded the control of the Maranzano Crime Family (faction of the American Cosa Nostra) in 1932. It subsequently became known as the Bonanno Crime Family and still is in NYC to this day.

La Cosa Nostra families in Sicily had a thing where the first born son no matter what would join his father and take the oath of Omerta and become a Man of 'Honour.' The ceremony entailed pricking the trigger finger and dripping the blood of the inductee onto a card of St Francis of Assisi. The card was then set alight in the inductees hands and they swore their oath as it burned. 'May I burn like this saint if I ever betray my family.' (English translation)

The book is an amazing insight into the mob with Salvatore himself talking about how he was his fathers son. They hide nothing, they tell the good the bad and the ugly. The book also details the Bonanno family's exploits in the 21st century, far removed from the father and son who gave them their name.

While its topical, I'm told the Enders Game books are excellent.

Anyone know for sure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

papillion -henri charriere

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement