Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaiety Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Slideways

My 2C

It's been a few years since I've been in Sligo but a few points occurred to me while reading this thread.

People who are defending the cinema cause it's old, the place isn't that old. It should have been minded properly and repaired as needed on an ongoing basis.

One of the biggest bug bears for me was the staff there. Of course I do not wish to tar all with the one brush but there was always a few manky scumbags, decked out in Kappa tracksuits, white trainers and a horrible attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Could not disagree more, again I will agree that the building could do with a renovation, that's down to who owns it and holds the purse strings.
    And yet again I will state from personal experience the staff are friendly and professional.
    Someone who uses the unnecessary derogatory language you have used has to hold a grudge, it is as easy to make your point with proper use of the English language.

My opinion is the staff are EXCELLENT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Apophis I really don't know why you are pushing this so much. Everyone has their own opinion and some clearly differ from yours. You can see from the number of thanks the opening post (and following posts) got that a lot of people have similar thoughts along the lines of it needing an update. Not everyone who posts on this thread can hold a grudge against the place/staff as you're so keen to claim.
    I'm saying this as a person who's never been in the cinema but have walked by it numerous times and it does look very grotty compared to lots of other cinemas in the surrounding counties. I've no opinion on the staff so can't comment there.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

I'm guessing your a member of staff or very close to staff apophis as you will not take on board any other persons opinions.
    I also have had bad staff experiences and that is fact and like it or not apophis their attitude is lazy and unhelpful if there is an issue it feels like it's the end of the world.hence why Ive stopped going.

I can categorically say I am not a member of staff, you all must be blind in every post I have clearly stated the building needs work, that's called agreeing with some of the points made here.
    As regards being close to the staff, as a regular customer I get to know them as I also know and like people who work in pubs I drink in ( whom I also respect ), but I can not in all honesty agree with the unnessary abuse and lies doled out to staff by some of the people in this thread, I would defend staff from any establishment I use if I thought the ABUSE was uncalled for, as is the situation here.

I have a feeling you won't be missed Sligono1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I'm suprised anyone bothers going to the cinema anymore. The last time I went was to see the last star wars movie ten years ago. The projection quality was awful. With advances in home cinema systems i'd sooner just wait for stuff to come out on blu ray or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I stopped going to that dirty kip. I had two jackets ruined with gum. Badly needs a make over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

apophis wrote: »
    I can categorically say I am not a member of staff, you all must be blind in every post I have clearly stated the building needs work, that's called agreeing with some of the points made here.
    As regards being close to the staff, as a regular customer I get to know them as I also know and like people who work in pubs I drink in ( whom I also respect ), but I can not in all honesty agree with the unnessary abuse and lies doled out to staff by some of the people in this thread, I would defend staff from any establishment I use if I thought the ABUSE was uncalled for, as is the situation here.

Apophis, as said previously I also have no massive issue with the staff. However, it appears you are completely contradicting nearly every poster here when they make a statement about an issue they have had with any staff member or either state they don't think the staff are great. Yes, you have never had a problem with staff. That's great. But that's not to say many many other peiple havent. That's not to say when anyone else has made a complaint that the staff haven't made a balls of sorting it out or just haven't bothered or have been rude etc etc. just because they personally haven't to you... It doesn't mean they haven't to anyone else. Perhaps as they know you as a regular they are more mannerly to you. But aren't as mannerly to others. You cannot categorically disagree with my statement as you have no objective proof.

This is only your opinion which yes, you are entitled to have. But you should really let others have their opinion aswell. It really annoying when you seem to be pushing some sort of agenda with no proof to the contrary that other posters here have not been given satisfactory customer service. On a more extreme note, I could nearly liken it to someone truthfully saying a staff member punched them... And you coming along saying... "Well no they didn't, they've always been nice to me", when you were not a witness, nor have any proof whatsoever to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭overshoot

Aphophis is it not contradictory to say the building needs renovation but its fine because its old? This is a business not a garden shed. The building should be maintained and upgraded as required.
    Its why u pay high prices at the cinema, your not just paying for the movie, your paying for the seat, screen, technology, building itself and so on.

Surely admitting the place needs a long overdue renovation is admitting to a failure on the owners part towards their customers?
    Admitting the building needs renovation is basically admitting its a kip. You undermine your whole old age point by saying the owners wont pay for it as you admit there is a problem. So why defend it?

And things like the the sticky floors is either a staff failure or the owners/managment with regard to staff allocation

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

I very regularly go to Sligo Cinema and it is without doubt, the most shabby and dirty cinema I have ever visited in Ireland.
    The toilets are a health hazard.
    There are more broken or gummed slimed seats than clean operational ones.
    Often there are disturbances during movies, ie phones and teenagers/students talking or joking (No staff ever asks them to be quite)
    I have zero tolerance on noise during movies. I paid well for my ticket and want to enjoy the film.
    The above are facts.

The staff are friendly for the most part in my experience but no one could deny the place has not been properly cleaned or maintained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭johnire

apophis is constantly (conveniently??) ignoring the issues with this cinema that the staff do have control over.
    They are responsible for their own appearance and by that I mean looking neat,tidy and professional looking. That is not and never has been the case.
    They are responsible for keeping the cinema clean,swept and presentable looking. They also have a duty of care to their customers.
    On all these points in my opinion they are failing and the important thing to remember here is that all of these duties are part of their jobs and they are getting paid.
    None of these issues are issues in any other cinema I now frequent so why Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Does anyone know why/when they got rid of the ticket machine in the lobby? The one for collecting tickets bought online. Was at the Marvel triple bill a month ago, was there 15 minutes early but was still 10 minutes late into the first film because there was a long queue & only two tills open to deal with it. I would've thought having the machine to print the tickets would've helped as not everyone would have wanted food, so wouldn't have needed to go to the counter.

OK, here's my last post in this mindnumbingly hateful thread, I will try to penetrate the ignorance of SOME of you, please note I said some of,
    Number one,
    From the very start I have agreed with evey post that stated the building needs refurbishing, why?, because it does, its obvious.
    Number two,
    I defend the staff because I have never had cause to do otherwise, I find them friendly, professional and accomadating, ( my opinion obviously), as someone so graciously said I am entitled to.

Now last point,
    I need to finish and get away from this thread before I am infected with the same attitude as some of the people in here,. Again please note I said SOME OF, as I know you can be very selective in what you read in these posts.

Now I must go, and let the sharks circle to feed on the negativity and vitriol that is about to come spewing from the minds and keyboards of '' the infrected''.
    ENJOY ALL, I won't be back, I could not tolerate this much ignorance, its actually getting boring its that negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

You were doing so well until the last point. Opinions are fine, but name calling is not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ShazGV wrote: »
    Does anyone know why/when they got rid of the ticket machine in the lobby? The one for collecting tickets bought online. Was at the Marvel triple bill a month ago, was there 15 minutes early but was still 10 minutes late into the first film because there was a long queue & only two tills open to deal with it. I would've thought having the machine to print the tickets would've helped as not everyone would have wanted food, so wouldn't have needed to go to the counter.

I assume it's to encourage people collecting tickets to buy food.

I apologise Kovu, post edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 annmaire88

I think in any business there are always goin to be staff more helpful than others,hopeful these new owners can bring the cinema up to this day and age and up staff morale.
    From what iv seen in other cinemas most have got rid of a ticket desk as i think they all use the same system now,iv gotten the same sort of ticket in dublin and belfast.hopefully a ticket desk will come back as i think every cinema should have 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I assume it's to encourage people collecting tickets to buy food.

Yeah probably. Just unfortunate when it holds everything up if you only want tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

It's been well into last year since I was in the place. The only thing I ever noticed wrong with the cinema was the crappy seats that they have, made even worse by scumbags breaking them.

The only other problems were janitorial things such as the disgustingly sticky floors, which could have been sorted with a few mops and people to use them which coud have been sorted with some proper management.

I have to agree somewhat with the ocassionally unfriendly staff. Alot of the time they seemed to chat among themselves behind they counter. It always seemed to take forever if you were coming in to get tickets before a popular movie was on, but that's because people are also buying food which takes ages to do!

Before giving up on the place to go elsewhere I used to go in earlier in the day to pick up my tickets, that way there was no waiting around, plus I had no intention of buying food there. Another gripe with the place was the sweet popcorn; a bucket of tasteless popcorn with 7 or 8 delicious ones covered in something that causes diabetes.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

apophis wrote: »

Abuse is that what you call my comments are you deluded,I am stating my own experiences can you prove otherwise.i contacted management they apologised and told me they would talk to the staff in relation to my issues.
    I won't be missed please explain?? My money is as good as any body else's.
    By any any chance apophis do you play darts with the staff ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=36454&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I'm glad the cinema will be redone! The seats are absolutely too small and the layout of the cinema when u go in is horrible. The staff are ok but they look wary of you. Just my own opinion like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Great so it isn't just a rumour.
    Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cyah

i agree with most of you the cinema is a bit old and shabby compares to some new cinemas i have been in, i was their friday and i think most of the staff are very helpful but i do think behind the counter they could have a bit more pleasence about them, maybe they could put a few more staff on some of us just want a ticket .........thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Nothing there about them doing anything with it in terms of refub in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 43,785 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Omniplex are well-established and would care about quality..

.. it may not be indicated, but there'll definitely be work done!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 back2basicsdub

They're probably not allowed to comment at the moment. I think that price may include both purchase and refurbishment costst, but in fairness they've spent a lot refurbishing the other cinemas they've taken over and, as the article says, they've been spending a lot over the past few years. They have leather rocking chairs, digital screens and sound in all their other cinemas, so one presumes they'll be intending to keep those standards ups here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Im going there tonight to watch Mad max. Not been to the cinema in years because its not good enough, but wanna see max on the big screen!

Well I went and I loved the film. It was at Screen 1. There were 2 small holes in the screen that were showing bright light and whenever the action became loud and bassy the speakers rattled. The absolute worst cinema experience I have had in terms of equipment used. The only other time I was annoyed with the technology was way back in the day when Jurassic park came out and those laser pens were all the rage, they were a nightmare in the cinema for a good while.

I saw on their website that they did not permit food and drink from anywhere other than what was bought in the cinema. Purely because they ordered me not to, I went to Tesco first and filled my bag. Who do they think they are dictating to their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I saw on their website that they did not permit food and drink from anywhere other than what was bought in the cinema. Purely because they ordered me not to, I went to Tesco first and filled my bag. Who do they think they are dictating to their customers.

They are the people who make the rules, Though it is a rule more honor'd in the breach than the observance, and that is because you can break it in the dark.

• Advertisement

They are the people who make the rules, Though it is a rule more honor'd in the breach than the observance, and that is because you can break it in the dark.

I was tempted to bring in some fish and chips, but I thought it would be a bit unfair to others and the stench wouldve given the game away!

Advertisement