Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

Assuming 12 Henshaw, 13 Payne and 15 R Kearney as the 1st choice;
    The formations where Luke Fitzgerald is 11 or 23:

11 LF + 14 DK/TB/KE + 23 DK/TB/KE

11 DK + 14 TB/KE + 23 LF

Same as for Zebo, except Zebo covers 15 as a straight swap, but Fitzgerald would have to swap with Payne to cover fullback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Ireland are going to be in the home dressing room on Saturday apparently. England have lost the dressing room (and Jersey) toss to Fiji so they're in the away one on Saturday to 'get used to it'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Ireland are going to be in the home dressing room on Saturday apparently. England have lost the dressing room (and Jersey) toss to Fiji so they're in the away one on Saturday to 'get used to it'.

Good catch by Lancaster that. So easy to get wrong. Fiji surely would have turned them over if they hadnt got the dressing room practice in in this game. Feel its advantage England now though and they will beat Fiji easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

There surely is. The same one as for Earls on the bench:
    In the Rob injury situation, Paynser to fullback, and Earlsie or Geraldsie in to 13.

Who?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,822 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I thought all the home and away stuff was based on seedings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Good catch by Lancaster that. So easy to get wrong. Fiji surely would have turned them over if they hadnt got the dressing room practice in in this game. Feel its advantage England now though and they will beat Fiji easily.

why will they beat Fiji easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

duckysauce wrote: »
    why will they beat Fiji easily

Perfectly nailed dressing room strategy.
    Its Schmidty level thinking from Lancs. Impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Perfectly nailed dressing room strategy.
    Its Schmidty level thinking from Lancs. Impressive.

what are you ****ting on about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

duckysauce wrote: »
    what are you ****ting on about ?

Hopefully it's sarcasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Shane Horgan was on RTE this morning - reckons what we really need to see in action tomorrow is the combinations - back row 3, front row, centre partnership, half backs.......good point.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Shane Horgan was on RTE this morning - reckons what we really need to see in action tomorrow is the combinations - back row 3, front row, centre partnership, half backs.......good point.

Heard on he radio this morning reporting that Zebo is replacing Rob Kearney because Rob picked up an injury.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Is the game on live TV anywhere folks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Dcully wrote: »
    Is the game on live TV anywhere folks?

Sky I suspect. All the other matches were.

It's on SKY - am sticking up a match thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Heard on he radio this morning reporting that Zebo is replacing Rob Kearney because Rob picked up an injury.

Irish rugby replied to a comment on its facebook page yesterday saying rob trainer and was available for selection but Joe wanted to give zebo more time there

At the end of the day, it's a game of two halves

I see a lot of people assuming that Payne will go to fullback if Cave comes on.
    Was that stated by Joe Schmidt or any of the Irish Management team at some stage?
    What's the probability of Henshaw moving to 13 and Cave going to 12?
    Or, Henshaw himself going to 15?
    It was mentioned here by another poster that Cave and Payne at 12 and 13 are a very good combination as they play together for the same club, just like the D'Arcy and BOD combination.
    Also saw a mention that Bowe could be tried at fullback if needed, and he has played well there for Ulster in the past, plus his GAA past would stand to him there fielding the ball, much like it does for Rob Kearney and Simon Zebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Very good point indeed. Important to see how the second row gels too, and the new look back three, and how all the combinations gel together.... so basically, how good the Irish rugby team is at playing rugby.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've been away this week and couldn't get in on any of the discussion once the squad was announced so apologies for possibly/probably going over old ground but I have to say I'm pretty surprised at Trimble being left out completely. The logic of it makes little sense to me when you consider the inclusion of Fitz and Earls who both picked up knocks at the weekend and aren't included in the squad for the weekend to play England. I know the forwards are a different discussion but Cian Healy is still not fit to play and yet they're willing to take the risk there that he might be able to play one match if we're lucky. Zebo seems to have gotten in purely on the fact that he can kind of fill in at FB if necessary, Madigan is the same, he can kind of play a few positions.... actually bar Dave Kearney who I think played his way onto the plane all of the names that were on the will they/won't they list have made the team because they can fill in in a pinch at another position, which I suppose is sensible.

Anyway... it's done now. No use complaining although I kind of hope Trimble is on fine form for Ulster now these next few weeks.

Also, although we'll never know, I think it would be interesting to see who would have made up the final few places if we'd had a tougher group.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I assumed Mike McCarthy was injured as he hasn't even been mentioned all summer let alone included in any squads, yet he's lining out for Leinster this weekend.

Has his stock fallen that badly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I assumed Mike McCarthy was injured as he hasn't even been mentioned all summer let alone included in any squads, yet he's lining out for Leinster this weekend.

Has his stock fallen that badly?

Yeah, I think it has really. Shame, he was an absolute beast when he burst onto the scene, won MOM against South Africa etc. That bad stamp he got, he hasn't quite returned from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

errlloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it has really. Shame, he was an absolute beast when he burst onto the scene, won MOM against South Africa etc. That bad stamp he got, he hasn't quite returned from it.

He's also nearly 34, not like there's much point in involving him for development purposes. Not good enough to play against top teams and not young enough to keep around the squad for any other reason when there's the likes of Foley and Henderson around.

I don't think he was a ton better before either, he made a few errors even in those South Africa games.

EDIT: There was of course that hit he put in on Etzebeth that was a big highlight for him in that game, always worth linking to that!

mccarthyhit.gif

• Site Banned Posts: 65 ✭✭Trabejo

Am I mad to believe that POM hasn't been all that great and should be behind Henderson at 6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Trabejo wrote: »
    Am I mad to believe that POM hasn't been all that great and should be behind Henderson at 6?

Schmidt hasn't played Henderson at 6 for Ireland since the 2014 6Ns. I honestly don't think Hendy is on his radar for 6 at the minute.

Let's be honest once POC rides off into the sunset Henderson will be straight into the No.5 jersey.

bilston wrote: »
    Schmidt hasn't played Henderson at 6 for Ireland since the 2014 6Ns. I honestly don't think Hendy is on his radar for 6 at the minute.

Let's be honest once POC rides off into the sunset Henderson will be straight into the No.5 jersey.

Henderson played at 6 when he replaced Peter O'Mahony for 15 minutes at end of Italy match in 6 Nations 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Henderson played at 6 when he replaced Peter O'Mahony for 15 minutes at end of Italy match in 6 Nations 2015.

Good point, he made a good break in the he build up to TOD's try IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

If anyone here lives near or will be passing by Carton house in the next week can you give Tommy Bowe a big kick in the knee so we can get Trimble in the squad. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Can they still swap out players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Can they still swap out players?

If the players are injured, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I've seen little bits of set piece play to suggest we have some stuff held back in reserve for the World Cup so that isn't really an issue for me. What's more concerning is the general flatness in our attacking alignment. A lot of ball is just shuffled side to side with no penetration. And we were stretched so badly by England multiple times in that game. We defended so narrowly that they should really have won by 20 had they not bombed a few opportunities.

Accuracy at the breakdown, kicking, solid set piece and game intensity are our main strengths and we've built a winning formula on the back of it. So it's a bit worrying that we're going into the tournament looking weak in all those areas. I know we're not looking to hit top form right now but rather 4/5 weeks from now, but you'd hoped to see Ireland looking a bit better than this.

Sexton still looks off the pace and only really has two games to put himself right before the French clash. Passes aren't sticking like they should for him. He's not been completely poor though. Solid in defence, some decent kicking mixed with the bad and his running game is still threatenng. Still a fair bit to go before he's anywherw approaching his best. I've no idea what's happened to Bowe. Has to be the worst most of us have ever seen him play. Looked so slow in the first half and fumbled anything that came his way. Is Trimble were fit he'd be starting ahead of his Ulster teammate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement