Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Was doing some idle dreaming with the wife for when we have money again, and was browsing various car manufacturer websites. (We both like horsepower, our early dates consisted of car dealerships)

Is it me, or are Porsches offerings like Cayenne and Panamera overpriced (once you configure them) compared to their German rivals in Audi or Mercedes? I mean, the difference between a E63AMG Wagon, an RS6 Avant and a Panamera 4S Tourismo (which go Vroom at about the same speed) is several tens of thousands of dollars, and unlike the difference between Cadillac and Audi, I don't see the difference in the dollar spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Got my bulbs from power bulbs today

Replaced the pair, keeping one of the old ones as a spare (the working one ofcourse)

Happy with that !

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Can’t you justbsay you have whatever number of points then sort it out later?

Unfortunately no they check a database now to check if you are telling fibs but they won't tell you what you're points are you have to find that out yourself from nta. I thought it was three but apparently that is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I'll be on slicks by the time the restrictions are over...

IMG-20200415-181539.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I'll be on slicks by the time the restrictions are over...

IMG-20200415-181539.jpg

You can get tyres replaced.....

• Advertisement

Yeah I know but slicks are faster etc, that's what they use in F1 sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yeah I know but slicks are faster etc, that's what they use in F1 sure.

We are having the correct weather for them anyway now at the minute if driving around midday till evening.

Wouldn't recommend them early in the morning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Down to 300km till next service due even doing very little driving only really commuting to work I will still be gone a few 100km over by 5th of May if lockdown is extended much more than that might just park it up and use the parents Leon to get to work until dealers are back open. I should of just bit the bullet and got it serviced early while the dealers were still open.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Down to 300km till next service due even doing very little driving only really commuting to work I will still be gone a few 100km over by 5th of May if lockdown is extended much more than that might just park it up and use the parents Leon to get to work until dealers are back open. I should of just bit the bullet and got it serviced early while the dealers were still open.

I thought some were for essential maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Essential repairs. A service wouldnt fall under that, otherwise every workshop in the country would be open at the minute.

The oil doesn't turn bad as soon as the "service in 0 kms" warning comes up. Exceeding a little will do no lasting harm.

• Advertisement

As TFB said servicing wouldn’t be essential. Plus when I have the option to use another car I am not too bad.
    Essential repairs. A service wouldnt fall under that, otherwise every workshop in the country would be open at the minute.

The oil doesn't turn bad as soon as the "service in 0 kms" warning comes up. Exceeding a little will do no lasting harm.

I know that but I personally wouldn’t like to run it much more than 1k Km over as the type of car it is chances are whoever buys it whenever I go to sell it would check service history and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Some are on long life service plan so would be doing almost twice the standard interval in a shorter space of time. I wouldn't worry by going a few thousand over in tge circumstances

When was it last serviced? Saving it for the next person here springs to mind. You're paying a hefty premium to own a GTi so drive your GTi. You'll be unlikely to be selling it privately, and never when I have traded a car in has the dealer given a monkey about the history on the car.

Sure I let one of my cars go over 20k and still on original turbo, clutch and gearbox....

Wasn't on purpose but I really fcuked up....

Never missed a beat....

Sister driver near 45k km in a fiesta without a service, it still somehow drove after I serviced it....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

When was it last serviced? Saving it for the next person here springs to mind. You're paying a hefty premium to own a GTi so drive your GTi. You'll be unlikely to be selling it privately, and never when I have traded a car in has the dealer given a monkey about the history on the car.

I can honestly say that I’m selling cars since I was 16 and I could count on one hand the amount of time’s Irish customers ask for service history. And the amount of those that actually check, even fewer.

I know. I know it’s long life oil and the engine won’t blow up. I know there is a factor of safety built in. But it just wouldn’t be in me to run a car way over the service interval 1k km fair enough 3 or 4K Km no. Tbh I have always had them same view on it with all my cars and if I owned a 1k km bangernomics car I would be the same about it. Obviously if I had no alternative car to drive and had to go to work I wouldn’t have much choice. But since I do.

Plus I couldn’t really ever see myself selling the golf so kind of even more important to keep it right.

Was serviced at 30k km just under 45k km on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Don't GTI's basically change their own oil by virtue of burning about 1L every 1000km...

Don't GTI's basically change their own oil by virtue of burning about 1L every 1000km...

My one doesn’t anyway I added about 300ml to it in 15k km and dipped it recently and was still over half way on the dipstick.

My one doesn’t anyway I added about 300ml to it in 15k km and dipped it recently and was still over half way on the dipstick.

Ara I was only rising ya Cip :p

Got this mail from BMW (UK)

Customers requiring a service.

Our vehicles use condition-based servicing (CBS) to actively monitor when your vehicle requires a service. To maintain the BMW warranty customers should ensure their vehicle is serviced as close as possible to the expected service schedule. However, we understand due to the current enforced closures this will not be possible.

If your vehicle is due a service during the closures enforced by Coronavirus (COVID-19) you can rest assured that your warranty will be unaffected by the disruption. All cars serviced within 3 months or 2,000 miles (whichever is earlier) of the service indicator will still be protected by any applicable warranty.

2k miles is pretty low, plenty would do that in s month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Been following this guys antics for a while, found this video particularly good.

I've no real interest in old american yokes, and who knows if they actually are his only way home but it's always impressive how he pulls these things out of ditches, new battery, fresh sup of petrol and away they go, drive it home.

If you're looking to kill an hour, they're very entertaining and this guys dry wit really ads to it for me.

Ya he's a great watch.

Zip ties n bias plies is another solid option for old starts and general rooting but with a slightly more abusive touch...

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Been following this guys antics for a while, found this video particularly good.

I've no real interest in old american yokes, and who knows if they actually are his only way home but it's always impressive how he pulls these things out of ditches, new battery, fresh sup of petrol and away they go, drive it home.

If you're looking to kill an hour, they're very entertaining and this guys dry wit really ads to it for me.

Is the girl making a splif in the credits at the start?

Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    Is the girl making a splif in the credits at the start?

Yeah, strange bit to add in.
    Rednecks etc love a bit of what they've never had.

So half thinking of doing something with the car, more so for something to do. Some owners of xdrives drop in eibachs and gives the car less of an off-road look.

Whilst thinking about it, I figured there might be an app for this, and sure enough there was. Take a photo, and then it lets you mess around with ride height. Apps called suspension master.

2020-04-18-16-31-27.jpg
    2020-04-18-16-30-23.jpg
    2020-04-18-16-30-30.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

3rd pic way too low 2nd about right.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Result from the high noon with my car insurance.

Hello Beery. I can take your circumstances into consideration, and give you 60 off the policy. Baring in mind, I'm suspending it in 28 days.

So I took the 600 offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

In you want to pass half an hour.Such a collection of cars but a real shame to just leave them there gathering dust

I am not going to name names or anything but a certain dealer (not main) in the north of the republic just seen on their facebook page fair enough their premises is closed but they seem to be working away selling cars and delivering them to peoples doors nationwide.

I mean why did John at the other end of the country have to get his 4 year old Diesel Ford Focus that he bought delivered yesterday :confused: If anything its a bit unfair on Main dealers and other dealers who have closed down and are taking the hit while this place is still working away. To be fair the people buying the cars and expecting them to be delivered this month are as bad. With all that's going on buying a new car can hardly be classed as essential.

Like infairness I am as bad as anyone for changing cars but I wouldn't dream of it at the moment literally so far down my list of priorities.

• Advertisement

I am not going to name names or anything but a certain dealer (not main) in the north of the republic just seen on their facebook page fair enough their premises is closed but they seem to be working away selling cars and delivering them to peoples doors nationwide.

I mean why did John at the other end of the country have to get his 4 year old Diesel Ford Focus that he bought delivered yesterday :confused: If anything its a bit unfair on Main dealers and other dealers who have closed down and are taking the hit while this place is still working away. To be fair the people buying the cars and expecting them to be delivered this month are as bad. With all that's going on buying a new car can hardly be classed as essential.

Like infairness I am as bad as anyone for changing cars but I wouldn't dream of it at the moment literally so far down my list of priorities.

Could be frontline workers and are desperate for a car that actually runs....

If car is been delivered and nobody is actually meeting up and so on I see no issues as it's similar to getting other items online delivered and these can all be an issue of actually transfering the virus if someone has touched the item.....

Obviously I'm sure what I said are low numbers but many others could do the same and sell online and do walk around videos and such.

I know a few in the trade and we'll before any of this they were selling a lot online and actually selling to buyers that never even sat in the car.
    Delivery to their house and cuts out a lot of messing about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement