Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where would you go next...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

166man wrote: »
    Wouldn't have two turbos to replace on an E60 M5 though....:pac:

Why the need for a dig like that?

I stuck with that car, did the best I could with the money I had and I enjoyed every single bit of it. All said, it probably cost a lot less than having to replace timing belts every 4 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I stuck with that car, did the best I could with the money I had and I enjoyed every single bit of it. All said, it probably cost a lot less than having to replace timing belts every 4 miles.

Is that the timing chain I hear rattling in your car there is it :p

You were very unlucky with those turbos going, the second one was really sickening:(

That car is still being absolutely babied by the way :) It got a set of 6 updated injectors last week or the week before too :)

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Is that the timing chain I hear rattling in your car there is it :p

Is that a timing belt I hear snapping in your car there is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

No need to get all sensitive (remember the :pac: normally implies a joke of some sort), thought you'd know all about that.

That was a class car, I remember even posting it here before you bought it. It's funny I have never replaced a timing belt so I really couldn't tell you all about that!
    Is that a timing belt I hear snapping in your car there is it?

I doubt it is seeing as the timing belt didn't snap in his car.

Didn't mean to derail thread OP, apologies.

166man wrote: »
    No need to get all sensitive (remember the :pac: normally implies a joke of some sort), thought you'd know all about that.

I do but the fact that you're an absolute cvnt makes it quite a bit different.

mod note, bannned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

BMJD wrote: »
    Have you considered going down the suv route? I'm a couple of years older than you, with an extra kid, it's hard to beat the comfort and practicality.

X5 or RR Vogue would probably be the two I'd consider. What did you get?

TheBazman wrote: »
    Having had an e60 M5 and currently driving a Golf R - the Golf is far far the easier car to live with. M5 is grand - bonkers in fact (the V10 at least) but when you are driving around in one that is 5-10yrs old you always have the feeling that something is going to go pop and it won't be costing you €200 it'll be costing you €2000.

Interesting to hear things from your perspective having lived with one. You're very happy with the R? The rate on them is very good at the moment, GTI is nice too. I'm fairly ridiculous in the sense that even going from a BMW to a VW I'd be giving out about the quality of the plastics, carpets etc etc - if I could get my head around that.

Had a look at a good old 2011 F10 in M&G yesterday, didn't have the exact spec I'd want but I can't help thinking about the devil you know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I just had another thought! It might be a little bit older and a little more expensive than what you really want but I think it's interesting and different to what you have had before.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/jaguar/xj/used-2012-jaguar-xj-luxury-3-0d-v-dublin-fpa-201614437815613440?SOURCE_ID=SOURCE_ID_FPA_FROM_FEAT_LIST

no-photo.gif

To me these are absolutely stunning :)

Love the body on them, too rich for the age though. If I was shelling out that money I'd try get a 142 4 gran coupe.

If 2011s were around 30k though.... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

If you're going to finance a car, it will be as cheap to get a new one on PCP on a low APR than it would be to finance a 2/3 year old model.

I find that PCP with BMW is a tricky one to make work - their GFV can often be too high which means there is very little equity in the car at the end of the term.

They do this to compete with the very low APR from Audi, which as a result tends to have more equity in it.

If it was me, I'd PCP an Audi with roughly 15-20% deposit in it, at that deposit level you should roughly get it back after 3 years.

If I was going the BMW route (and I much prefer the 4 Series GC, had one as a company car for a while) I'd go for a slightly lower deposit level, probably around 10/15%.

It will not make financial sense to buy a used car on finance when for the same deposit and monthly payment you can have a brand new one outside your door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

But you will not own the new car at the end of the term surely?
    BMW are doing pcp at 3.9 per cent where I think Audi are 4.9 for A4 and A6.

But unless you're planning in keeping a car for 5 years or more what difference does ownership make?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

If you're going to finance a car, it will be as cheap to get a new one on PCP on a low APR than it would be to finance a 2/3 year old model.

That really isn't true.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    That really isn't true.

Isn't it?

Isn't it?

Do you have an example?

Do you have an example?

I've 3 years of them....

Any time I've quoted customers on a used car, a new one on PCP almost always works out similar or cheaper.

Could you share one example from your 3 years?

I find that PCP with BMW is a tricky one to make work - their GFV can often be too high which means there is very little equity in the car at the end of the term.

They do this to compete with the very low APR from Audi, which as a result tends to have more equity in it.

If it was me, I'd PCP an Audi with roughly 15-20% deposit in it, at that deposit level you should roughly get it back after 3 years.

If I was going the BMW route (and I much prefer the 4 Series GC, had one as a company car for a while) I'd go for a slightly lower deposit level, probably around 10/15%.

It will not make financial sense to buy a used car on finance when for the same deposit and monthly payment you can have a brand new one outside your door.

Don't want to derail this interesting thread but my understanding with the pcp is that you pay off over 3 years to get to the gmfv so you will have gotten to the same point regardless of how much you put in initially no?
    Therefore a smaller deposit just means higher monthlies or am I missing something. Why then do you recommend different deposits for the models you mention above? l think you work in the trade so am just interested in the reasoning not trying to pick holes.I think pcp is a legitimate way of buying especially if you like to change relatively regularly and stay in a newer car and don't mind making payments monthly.

Could you share one example from your 3 years?

Not on a Sunday evening in front a TV, but I'll run something tomorrow.

The reason for the different deposit is because you should match your deposit amount with the predicted equity in the car after the end of the term.

This means that if you decided to PCP the same car again after 3 years your payment should stay roughly the same without having to top up your deposit amount or at least havingto add in very little.

I believe the reason is so when you enter your 2nd pcp in 3 years the equity in the car you having been paying for for the first three years should equal a similar deposit to your first deposit therefore you can re enter a new pcp agreement, use this equity as your new deposit and continue paying the same monthly amount on your 2nd pcp with out having to look for a deposit elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How abou this http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/530-D/43713953972050240/

I'm not changing for another year but if I was changing now I'd be buying that.

Or....what he said :->

That really isn't true.

It pretty much is. Just going on the simple monthly cost, assuming you have a deposit, it can be very close at the very least.

There are some exceptions, I looked at a 2011 520d on Fri, it's €31,000. If I put €5,000/6000 deposit in, it was around €560 per month on 7% APR. But you can currently buy a new 520d with 3.9% so you have to spend €60,000, only actually pay off probably 50% of that in the PCP deal but it would still be a good bit dearer per month unless I had €10-18,000 to sink into it in a deposit. Personally, I think the sacrifices in saving that amount only to put it into a depreciating asset is a bit mad but I could go into a VW dealer with the much lower rate and cheaper car and have a brand new Golf GTI for less per month than a 4 year old 520d. Similarly if you're buying a new car for 50k but a used model that's a year old is 42k, you'll still probably be able to buy the newer one for less as manufacturers traditionally only do the lowest rates on brand new cars.

MarkN I understand your point but if you buy the used car you will own it once it is paid off and if you keep it you aren't making any more payments. With the new car you own nothing after the 3 years and have to come up with the gfv or start new pcp and hence keep paying out.
    Really depends on what you want and whether shelling out each month bothers you or not.

Fellas, you can not buy a new car for less money than a 2 to 3 year old car of same make/spec. You may well be able to pay the same monthly repayments but those are very different things.

The finance rate on the older car will be higher but it does not off set the depreciation you will be hit with on the new car.

However, where this can come close is with a pre reg demo car with 1000km on the clock. The dealer can't offer the lowest finance rate as it's not a "new" car so the small saving made from buying the demo can be offset by the lower finance rate if the cost of the car is high enough. 4% apr difference on a 50K car could be around 3 to 4 thousand euro. Meaning buying the demo makes little sense. Not the same with a 2 to 3 year old car though.

Fellas, you can not buy a new car for less money than a 2 to 3 year old car of same make/spec. You may well be able to pay the same monthly repayments but those are very different things.

The finance rate on the older car will be higher but it does not off set the depreciation you will be hit with on the new car.

That's true but I did say in my last post that taking the simple monthly cost, you can do it for the same. That of course doesn't factor in depreciation. I suppose the whole point of PCP is you don't really have to worry about depreciation.

You're right Carsfan - you can also refinance the GFV though if you wish to keep the car in which case you would eventually own it, not sure if that route would work out dearer than a traditional 60 payment hire purchase though. Personally, ownership of the car doesn't bother me. Any new car I've bought I've never kept it long enough to own it outright so PCP wouldn't be any different in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On a side note 31k for a 2011 F10 is nuts unless it's a 530d/535d.

bazz26 wrote: »
    On a side note 31k for a 2011 F10 is nuts unless it's a 530d/535d.

BMW main dealer, you know yourself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

True that.

• Advertisement

How about the new model A4 saloon or avant on a pcp?
    Comes with a 3.0 tdi Quattro for low fifties I think.
    Quick and economical and will be sought after second hand so should keep some value.

Advertisement