Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you go next...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Very interesting.
    Was that the first time the dealer got to physically inspect your trade in? Potential for a nasty surprise if everything not agreed beforehand.
    How’s the new car so far?
    Well wear. Looks great. Same colour combo as my 5 series.

Thank you.

Yep, first time they saw it, but I was confident they would be happy with it as it was in great shape. They did say they have had some trade ins arrive not as described, and then a conversation a d a new trade in number had to be agreed.

I’m very happy with the colour combo, Phytonic Blue and Ivory with Open Pored Trunkwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

AidenL wrote: »
    I’m very happy with the colour combo, Phytonic Blue and Ivory with Open Pored Trunkwood.

Ah, I was wondering was it the new colour alright, was thinking it could have been med blue but it looked different and not as dark. Photos never do a nice colour justice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Wailin wrote: »
    Photos never do a nice colour justice!

This is true. I love the Bluestone Metallic but it looks so much better in person.

This is true. I love the Bluestone Metallic but it looks so much better in person.

I used to hate bluestone, most i saw were on SE models with the chrome and no sun protection rear windows. But love it now with the right spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I love the ivory and the open pore wood.
    I dont know if they do a few types of open pore wood but any ive seen looked fab - wood as wood should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭carsfan2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tFVpHS7At0

Thought this was interesting.

Spoiler alert, he says avoid the new M5.

Mat actually doesn't recommend the new M5, as the m550i is the better car for general use. M5 is too fast and too big to hustle comfortably. 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I like his reviews but fvck me he HAS to stop going off topic and saying "I've put a link to that in the top right hand corner, it should be popping up now"...that drives me wrong with how fvcking often he says it!

0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds is unreal.

Don't forget that was in less than ideal conditions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I’d love a M5 as much as us all but I think he’s right. 600 horsepower or whatever is ridiculous in a car that big and wide as it’s just too big to enjoy unless you live in Germany. Give me a small car with half that for fun and a 540/545e for cruising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I like his reviews but fvck me he HAS to stop going off topic and saying "I've put a link to that in the top right hand corner, it should be popping up now"...that drives me wrong with how fvcking often he says it!
    It has 500l boot space. Similar to the Audi A6, and if you'd like to see my review of the audi a6....

Annoys me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭MarkN

To them.. CARWOW is a business don’t forget.. the longer a punter spends their time on their vids, the more money they make. Not saying it’s not annoying though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

MarkN wrote: »
    To them.. CARWOW is a business don’t forget.. the longer a punter spends their time on their vids, the more money they make. Not saying it’s not annoying though :)

It doesn’t bother me at all really. Before YouTube came along with loads of car content you had to rely on Top Gear or reading a car magazine for car reviews.
    Now there is plenty for all.

maddness wrote: »
    It doesn’t bother me at all really. Before YouTube came along with loads of car content you had to rely on Top Gear or reading a car magazine for car reviews.
    Now there is plenty for all.

Same. I think carwow and the likes are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

All the youtube'rs do it to some extent. I suppose they have to generate clicks/revenue. I find the YouTube advertising breaks a lot more annoying! They seem to have become longer and more frequent, it would almost tempt you into signing up to their premium service... almost.

I was out in the car yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours (work) and listened to the BobFlavin Sunday Service thing....... I've subscribed to his channel but never tuned in for a Sunday thing before. Wasn't at all bad to be fair except for his utterings on potentially converting his 2006 Seat Leon to an EV and wondering would be be remotely viable economically. I was saying "scrap the fncker" out loud.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    All the youtube'rs do it to some extent. I suppose they have to generate clicks/revenue. I find the YouTube advertising breaks a lot more annoying! They seem to have become longer and more frequent, it would almost tempt you into signing up to their premium service... almost.

Yes it's gotten a lot worse recently, but I will never pay for youtube premium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,246 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes it's gotten a lot worse recently, but I will never pay for youtube premium.

at 1.50 a month (via india) its a small price to pay imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I watch quite a bit on YouTube on my TV via ps4 and firestick, different things. Car videos, universe videos, rugby, off the ball, cats and dogs, how to do x, y and z, diy videos, wrestling videos from the 90s and 00s (class) and I've just decided to go premium, the ads are becoming a right pain. As another poster mentioned here, there's cheap ways of doing it and I think its absolutely worth it.

As for Matt Watson, yeah he's a bit of a pain advertising his own stuff and his videos all follow same format and I don't think he's massively knowledgeable about cars, but I still find myself watching them all because I pressed the bell icon to be notified when he makes a new upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

YouTube premium via India is a no brainer. I forgot that it has ads until I was at my mother's recently.

Just did the YouTube India thing now. Nice! There's a whole thread on it over in the Bargain Alerts forum if anyone's interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, have it through India for a while now thanks to that thread over on BA. That and netflix from Turkey. :D

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yep, have it through India for a while now thanks to that thread over on BA. That and netflix from Turkey. :D

netflix family account from turkey shared among 4 ftw :D

Cyrus wrote: »
    at 1.50 a month (via india) its a small price to pay imo.
    Just tried on my work vpn and selected India but I'm still seeing european prices

Will try purchasing a free trial of a vpn and see. Reading that thread is very helpful, I wouldnt pay a tenner a month but 10% of that is ok :D

ELM327 wrote: »
    Just tried on my work vpn and selected India but I'm still seeing european prices

Will try purchasing a free trial of a vpn and see. Reading that thread is very helpful, I wouldnt pay a tenner a month but 10% of that is ok :D

tunnel bear should work with the free allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I used Hola which is free and can be uninstalled immediately afterwards if you like

It worked, cheers :):) (tunnelbear)

Ha cheers.

Not sure how I'd feel putting that power through such a small engine, seems like something would give but maybe that's old school thinking and these engines can manage it. The GR Yaris can do it from factory with similar engine set up so maybe it's not too much for it.
    To be honest I'm considering doing some other improvements well before I touch the power on it. Will see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Thought this was interesting.

Spoiler alert, he says avoid the new M5.

Mat actually doesn't recommend the new M5, as the m550i is the better car for general use. M5 is too fast and too big to hustle comfortably. 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds is unreal.

I can't see why anyone would need a car that can get to 100 km/h in under 3 seconds. When are you ever going to need a car that can go that? I mean I like power and speed as much as the next petrolhead, but I like being able to use that power and speed legally and safely on public roads. As we don't have autobahns in this country, you're never going to need, or be able to use, that capability on Irish roads, ever. There really is such a thing as too much power.

To that end, I completely agree with him about the M550i by the way, almost as much power (more than the E60 M5 let's not forget and nobody ever said that was slow) and still a stupidly quick acceleration time. Really the only reason to buy an M5 is the handling - but if you were bothered by that you'd get a smaller M car - and one with traditional rear wheel drive, too. The 5 series has gotten so bloated and the latest M5 is so far removed from what M was meant to be all about. I get the appeal of an M550i, it's more practical and sporty take on a GT type car. The Competition versions (which are the only versions we get) are meant to be terrible over the bumps, too - so all the more reason to go for the M550i.

AdBlockPlus can be downloaded for free on Chrome (and is totally legit - it's an approved extension by Google) and solves that problem instantly;)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

What would worry me about the 550i is the N63 engine. Outside of 7 series circles it may not be known, but it is absolutely, categorically one of the worst engines BMW has made in the last 15 years in terms of reliability and I include the N47 in that. It had a tech update in 2012, 2016 and 2018 and had a recall in all but name in 2015 in North America where BMW were either replacing huge amount of components for free or actually buying back the cars from severely p1ssed off customers. Of course Euro customers were made eat the loss as usual. I would only hope reliability has improved, certainly not an engine to own a day outside warranty.

Joe Achilles drives the 128ti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYL3ROGeP7E

Joe Achilles drives the 128ti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYL3ROGeP7E

Thought that was poor, even by JA standards. Looks like he put more effort into coordinating the colour of his New Balance shoes with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭TylerRyan28

What car would you recommend getting just to learn how to work on my own car in the future doesnt have to have tax or nct just something cheap to just mess around with.

Whatever you can get for small money that's mechanically complete. What do you want to do, oil changes and brake pads/discs ?
    Probably more stuff to do on a petrol car ......... maybe something with a timing belt rather than a chain.
    An old micra, yaris, punto?
    You'll likely be driving something incomparable to them in the future but for learning on and messing about best to keep it simple ish :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

What car would you recommend getting just to learn how to work on my own car in the future doesnt have to have tax or nct just something cheap to just mess around with.

An e46 BMW, you'll never stop having to fix things on it but they're nice when they're driving right. Surprisingly easy to work on too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

An e46 BMW, you'll never stop having to fix things on it but they're nice when they're driving right. Surprisingly easy to work on too.
    Tell that to my buddy when he fought with mine while changing the water pump :pac:

Thought that was poor, even by JA standards. Looks like he put more effort into coordinating the colour of his New Balance shoes with the car.

Yeah it has the look of just trying to get some content out there.
    I would say he will do a more comprehensive test in the future. I am looking forward to a twin test of it and the golf gti.
    Pity the vrt changes killed it here.

Yeah it has the look of just trying to get some content out there.
    I would say he will do a more comprehensive test in the future. I am looking forward to a twin test of it and the golf gti.
    Pity the vrt changes killed it here.

He rarely does VW stuff. Little bit of Audi occasionally but I can’t remember ever seeing him do VW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

He did reviews of a few Cupra models also but his other half works for Audi apparently so maybe there is a connection to Cupra there somehow?

He rarely does VW stuff. Little bit of Audi occasionally but I can’t remember ever seeing him do VW.

Not necessarily with him, but the likes of autocar, auto express etc. Will surely do twin test at some point.
    Although as Joe has now moved full time into YouTube he will have to expand beyond BMW and doing pr for Tony Lewis at berry BMW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭TylerRyan28

Augeo wrote: »
    Whatever you can get for small money that's mechanically complete. What do you want to do, oil changes and brake pads/discs ?
    Probably more stuff to do on a petrol car ......... maybe something with a timing belt rather than a chain.
    An old micra, yaris, punto?

Yeah pretty much I'm confident doing an oil change, will work on brake pads/discs id rather get stuck in and learn as I go. learning from mistakes.
    What about a Volkswagen polo 1liter petrol

What about a Volkswagen polo 1liter petrol

Perfect for what you want IMO.

Another M440i for sale. This one just shy of €100k. Absolute madness. Same car in the UK is £55k. Lovely spec on this compared to the one in Keanes.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-4-series-m440i-xdrive/27024166

I spotted that car the other day while surfing carzone.
    Stunning looking but a stunning price too. Much nicer than the dravit grey one. I actually checked my own order to see how much adding tanzanite blue instead of black would be after I saw it.
    1800 euro so not worth it to me.

It is such a shame that we are denied decent prices for cars like this. To my mind you should be in a M4 for that much money.

There's a 430i for sale for 73k also with 5k km on the clock! Before the vrt changes you could spec up a nice 330i for around 62k.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-4-series-2-0-litre-petrol/27018427

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

will there be 345e's?

There's a 430i for sale for 73k also with 5k km on the clock! Before the vrt changes you could spec up a nice 330i for around 62k.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-4-series-2-0-litre-petrol/27018427

The guy doing the video is woeful on that car.
    love it when he pops the boot and someone in the background shouts "Wow nice boot!"
    Crazy money, but as Joe Achilles says don't look at the asking price, what are the monthlies.

will there be 345e's?

don't think so but they have just launched 320e and 520e but not in Uk or Ireland

Another M440i for sale. This one just shy of €100k. Absolute madness. Same car in the UK is £55k. Lovely spec on this compared to the one in Keanes.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-4-series-m440i-xdrive/27024166

Would it be fair to say that would be worth 60k ish in 2 years? 1600 euro a month on depreciation alone, no monthlies can hide that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement