Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you go next...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

when you see that bentley steering wheel, airbag technology really has come a long way, size of that thing compared to the current
    515893.jpeg
    20-bentley-continental-gt-2018-review-cabin.jpg?itok=kpiY4xoJ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Jesus that Bentley is hideous. Red interior, with wood trim and chrome wheels. It couldn't be any worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Jesus that Bentley is hideous. Red interior, with wood trim and chrome wheels. It couldn't be any worse.

Hey, it was the Celtic Tiger man...it had to vulgar or whats the point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭carsfan2

The Bentley would suit a Conor Mcgregor Wannabe.

the 440i is a good compromise of accessible performance and practicality.
    It won’t depreciate from where it is now any worse than any other premium car I think in fact it’s rarity might help it in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

That Bentley might not have been to everyone's taste. My point was , if total ownership cost of some of these modest bm arnd the staggering depreciation figures we hear about on this forum. In a short period of time on very modest cars are possibly more than tco cost on an older Bentley, is it not a bit insane ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

carsfan2 wrote: »

It won’t depreciate from where it is now any worse than any other premium car I think in fact it’s rarity might help it in the future.

Until you go to trade it in & the dealer prices it the same as a 420D, "sure I'll be ages sitting on that"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭MarkN

The depreciation on the Bentley is no doubt going to be less than a 202 Ford Focus but one tyre would probably counter balance that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Bentley would suit a Conor Mcgregor Wannabe.

That particular one is going to plummet a lot, has failed to sell for a long time, I'm pretty sure that was in Kearys before bolands.
    Starting to think it would be madness to go from a 535 to the 440i. There both large cars, not sure how much more "fun" it would be. You'd really want to love that colour as it could be hard shift later.

MarkN wrote: »
    The depreciation on the Bentley is no doubt going to be less than a 202 Ford Focus but one tyre would probably counter balance that out.

How you getting on with the portable fire ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

That particular one is going to plummet a lot, has failed to sell for a long time, I'm pretty sure that was in Kearys before bolands.
    Starting to think it would be madness to go from a 535 to the 440i. There both large cars, not sure how much more "fun" it would be. You'd really want to love that colour as it could be hard shift later.

Don't see how it's madness to want a fresher car. I have the 535d now nearly 3 years and feel it's time I got myself a nice petrol engined car instead. Feel free to offer alternatives as I can't find anything else really that offers what the 440i does. I need practicality too, two kids etc so a porsche not suitable :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Wailin wrote: »
    Don't see how it's madness to want a fresher car. I have the 535d now nearly 3 years and feel it's time I got myself a nice petrol engined car instead. Feel free to offer alternatives as I can't find anything else really that offers what the 440i does. I need practicality too, two kids etc so a porsche not suitable :D

Do you need a car as big as the 4/5 series? Hot hatch fit the bill? An A45 AMG would be nice and they come in the CLA shape as well with that engine but not everyone is into the shape.

That's why I think you'll be bored quickly, it's not that far detached. I added a 3rd kid and went from a 530 to a GTI for practicality, probably not the best to advise. I've no idea where I'm going next. Targa isn't really a runner. Have a deposit on an id3 1st but the mrs clearly stated last night she's not getting into anything that looks like a punto, she really hated it, the Porsche idea got more love.
    Mustang Mach E is a possibility, looks good on paper, 600km range, 280bhp, 0-60 somewhere in the 5's...the looks are growing on me and she likes the looks as well.
    Family wagon is an xc90 d5 that's probably going to stick around for a long time, she knows well I'll be borrowing it so whatever I change to she's got to like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I know the engine might make up for it, but I think the interior of the 4 is a serious downgrade from the 5.

Would you go for a 6 series GC petrol....

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Do you need a car as big as the 4/5 series? Hot hatch fit the bill? An A45 AMG would be nice and they come in the CLA shape as well with that engine but not everyone is into the shape.

I test drove a 5 series a while ago after having 2 of them, felt like I was in a ship getting back into one, really disliked it after getting used to something chuckable, the 4 series isn't all that smaller.

hooch-85 wrote: »

Yeah I need a biggish car for family trips away etc. The second car is a golf so can't rely on the wife's car to bail me out and drive an m4 or the like!

I know the engine might make up for it, but I think the interior of the 4 is a serious downgrade from the 5.

Would you go for a 6 series GC petrol....

Yeah it is, even the old f10 interior is far superior. If the 4 series had oyster or cognac interior it would be a big difference. I don't like the 6 at all. Too long and very dated now imo.

You could change the Mrs Golf to this, https://www.usedcarsni.com/263685650

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Yeah I need a biggish car for family trips away etc. The second car is a golf so can't rely on the wife's car to bail me out and drive an m4 or the like!

I hear ya, we are expecting our first and have a deal done on an Ateca FR for 202, trading her 181 Ibiza so thankfully my R is staying put:D

Keep the kid out of the R Hooch the young ones aren't able for the G's..had to stop twice on the way to Galway a few weeks ago, first place wasn't suitable enough to throw up in apparently. Proud of him, he knows not to mess daddy's car, if it was his mum's he'd just hurl everywhere.

If you take it that a car loses 50% of value in three years, then the 440i is well priced.
    It is two years old and was 80k new so priced at 46k now with minimal mileage and an approved warranty and service pack it is a good car for that.
    sure it will lose a ton over the next few years but no more than any other car in this price bracket and is well place to do better than the 420d etc mentioned as it will be nowhere as common and will appeal to enthusiasts.
    That's my opinion, maybe I am wrong, but I don't see it as a disastrous buy.

I found this while pondering over future cars. I think the colour combination is stunning. might appeal Wailin?

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2016-BMW-M3-Saloon-265205820?make=2&model=824&search_type=1&age_from=0&age_to=0&body_style=0&fuel_type=0&homepage_search_attr=1&keywords=&location[]=0&location[]=0&mileage_to=0&pagepc0=2&price_from=0&price_to=0&tab_id=0&trans_type=0&user_type=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I test drove a 5 series a while ago after having 2 of them, felt like I was in a ship getting back into one, really disliked it after getting used to something chuckable, the 4 series isn't all that smaller.

I’ve had both over the past few and the 5 series is a lot wider and therefore feels so much bigger and harder to chuck down your favourite road. The interior is nicer but it’s not that much of a difference between a F10 and a F36. The newer Bmw interiors are streets ahead of their older ones though.
    It really depends what’s your priority? Is it comfort and the latest tech or is it the engine and driver fun?

I found this while pondering over future cars. I think the colour combination is stunning. might appeal Wailin?

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2016-BMW-M3-Saloon-265205820?make=2&model=824&search_type=1&age_from=0&age_to=0&body_style=0&fuel_type=0&homepage_search_attr=1&keywords=&location[]=0&location[]=0&mileage_to=0&pagepc0=2&price_from=0&price_to=0&tab_id=0&trans_type=0&user_type=0

I agree with you completely on the 440i, it's great value imo if a straight cash sale. The car has already dropped by almost 50% ffs and it's barely 2 yrs old. I have repeatedly said that you won't get a similar model from the UK for the same price.

That M3 is beautiful and probably the nicest I have seen yet. If mine went on a cash sale, I'd be very interested.
    maddness wrote: »
    It really depends what’s your priority? Is it comfort and the latest tech or is it the engine and driver fun?

Bit of both really. It needs to do as a family car, but be enjoyable and a bit unique too. The 535d has served me well and has it all. Power, economy, comfort and space. But I want something a bit fresher now and move away from diesel for a change. So I keep saying, the 440i seems to tick most of the boxes.

Have Bolands come back to you again with an offer or have you written off dealing with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I agree with you completely on the 440i, it's great value imo if a straight cash sale. The car has already dropped by almost 50% ffs and it's barely 2 yrs old. I have repeatedly said that you won't get a similar model from the UK for the same price.

That M3 is beautiful and probably the nicest I have seen yet. If mine went on a cash sale, I'd be very interested.

Bit of both really. It needs to do as a family car, but be enjoyable and a bit unique too. The 535d has served me well and has it all. Power, economy, comfort and space. But I want something a bit fresher now and move away from diesel for a change. So I keep saying, the 440i seems to tick most of the boxes.

That 440i is going nowhere unless someone here buys it first. I think Bolands deserve a very low straight offer!

Have Bolands come back to you again with an offer or have you written off dealing with them?

No call back since the other day. I won't deal with them unless I sell my own or they get back with a much better offer. I was offered €21k for mine on donedeal from a trader. Even that is about €3k better than Bolands. I'm going to wait and see what happens, certainly not rushing into anything with them that's for sure.

They're probably reading this thread :pac:

Did you try trade against the M3 in Kildare...wonder what the cost to change would be. It's a stunning looking car.

...... I was offered €21k for mine on donedeal from a trader............

Are you tempted? It seems reasonable tbh .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nice Stinger petrol here:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2057646&r=s.php%3Fm%3D39%26o%3D2644%26g%3D0

Downside is the €1200 a year in tax v €750 on the 440i. Would it depreciate any worse than a BMW? 6 years remaining on the Kia warranty though, plenty of family space and rare as feck. Might make a nice left field alternative to that 440i Wailin?

I couldn't pay 47k for that interior, really shows how good VW/BMW interiors are even on much cheaper models when you see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That price has been on that car since the turn of the year. Also those photos don't do the interior much justice, it's nicer in the flesh. Maybe not up to some Germanesque interiors but I wouldn't say it's any worse than a 4 Series interior.

Advertisement