Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

You can achieve this also by using the custom firmware I mentioned last year

I was using the custom firmware too, but there is only an old version of the custom firmware available. With this file you can use any firmware you like and it still works. I'm testing the latest Mini 0806 update now :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I actually found a better picture resolution to use within the custom firmware, as I wasn't entirely happy with the 'full' (2560x1080 30fps Superfine 24Mb/s) setting.

I reduced down to one of the lower resolutions (I'll need to check the camera to see what it is), and find the picture a lot lot better! (I can once again read opposite car number plates)

and the bonus is my 64GB card now holds about 10-11 hours of footage as opposed to the 5/6 hours I was getting on full resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Anyone know of an android app like registrator viewer etc.? Looking for something that can manage the files and overlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

any one recommend a good camera for a rear window? also can you get them where u dont need to be running cables through the car for charging? only socket i have is the cig lighter in the front and thats full already with cables

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

job seeker wrote: »
    Had a look at it closely yesterday.. It definitely stops for 2 minutes between recordings.. Ah well.. will just hope for the best..

Or maybe give it to someone you don't like and get yourself a better one? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

joujoujou wrote: »
    Or maybe give it to someone you don't like and get yourself a better one? :D

Well if someone does a hit and run, I've a 60% chance of getting it recorded on the dash cam... :D I like them odds.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

job seeker wrote: »
    Well if someone does a hit and run, I've a 60% chance of getting it recorded on the dash cam... :D I like them odds.. :pac:
    If I was you, I'd rid of it asap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

A friend of mine is about to start driving for Uber. Can anyone advise on a dashcam with dual lens (for recording inside the car)? preferably not one that involves swapping on the rear view mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

<no conversation here
    Use the advert for any comments>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

http://www.adverts.ie/car/subaru/impreza/2008-subaru-impreza/10377905?notification=1094a2d1f55363a0dfbbf650ddd7b7df-1461855128

Selling my 2008 Subaru. Please note they are stock pic till I get the actual ones up. Any feedback or comments welcome. Thanks

Mod update: External pics now added. Internal ones up tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

joujoujou wrote: »
    If I was you, I'd rid of it asap. :)

Your probably right...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/transcend-drivepro-220-dash-cam

Any reason to avoid this one? Seems like a decent camera, at an okay price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Ordered the Xiaomi Yi, linked to by 5500 earlier in the thread - kinda regretting cheaping out and choosing standard shipping over DHL in the hope of avoiding extra charges :o

Hopefully won't have cause to need it in the interim!

Will update thread when it arrives, if anyone else is holding off for feedback before buying it..
    5500 wrote: »
    In summary DHL after vat and fees should see total cost about €100, but end of week delivery.
    An post with vat and fees about €90 all in and 3 week delivery, OR if it's slips through €65 delivered with 3 week delivery.
    Parcelmotel/wizard Roughly €69 delivered and 10 days delivery, OR if stopped for customs returned to sender

Well mine landed in Ireland last week, but has been sent to customs :(
    Waiting for the bill to arrive.
    How do they normally make contact, and how does one pay the bill?

edit:
    Ordered on 18th, shipped on 20th, landed in dublin on 26th - I had chosen standard shipping, but it was taken by DHL to Dublin, where it was passed on to An Post - presumably a quicker method, but clearly raising a customs flag...

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/transcend-drivepro-220-dash-cam

Any reason to avoid this one? Seems like a decent camera, at an okay price.

Looks decent enough for the price, same one on Amazon is working out about €135

I guess the good thing about buying from Halfords is you could bring it back the same day if you weren't happy with it for whatever reason.

If however you are on a tighter budget, I got This one a few months back as my 'travel' dash cam, and I have to say it's an excellent camera, up there with my mini 0801 & 0806 for picture quality. It's only downside is the sound it records is quite muffled, which doesn't really bother me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Well mine landed in Ireland last week, but has been sent to customs :(
    Waiting for the bill to arrive.
    How do they normally make contact, and how does one pay the bill?

edit:
    Ordered on 18th, shipped on 20th, landed in dublin on 26th - I had chosen standard shipping, but it was taken by DHL to Dublin, where it was passed on to An Post - presumably a quicker method, but clearly raising a customs flag...

They normally send a letter to you, but being the weekend that's in it things will probably be slow for a few days. You can speed it up by mailing dmc@revenue.ie quoting your tracking number and the PayPal invoice and they will email you back what's due, you then pay the post man the following day or so when he delivers.

My own landed on Friday but shows as on route to customer since then, ordered 16th shipped 20th arrived 29th. They appeared to tranship via singapore/Germany then Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

Selling our 2008 Fiat GP T-Jet, 1.4 Turbo/120bhp
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/fiat/punto/2008-fiat-grande-punto-t-jet/10402510

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I emailed Xiaomi again about their English version dashcam availability, it was supposed to be on Amazon UK 10 days ago and still nothing. Will see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I emailed Xiaomi again about their English version dashcam availability, it was supposed to be on Amazon UK 10 days ago and still nothing. Will see what the story is.

Geekbuying are selling the International version from their Spain Warehouse for $79.99 so no need to worry about customs now:

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/-Spain-Stock---International-Edition--Xiaomi-Yi-Smart-Car-DVR-1080P-60FPS-165-Degree-WiFi-Built-in-240mAh-Battery-Support-Android---IOS---Grey-366201.html

• Advertisement

Camera arrived today from geek buying. Picture below for anyone wondering what's in the box.

Everything is in English including user manual and interface. Battery was just flat so no test done yet.

Only downside on first impression is I think the grey colour is a bit noticeable so for a bit more covert look I'm gonna mask it up and give it a quick blast of Matt black paint.

Other than that all seems good quality, if you've bought any xiaomi products before they tend to have a premium feel to them as opposed to the usual cheap Chinese gadgets

2wem2s8.jpg

I was just going to say, I wouldn't be a fan of the grey/silver!!

Nothing a few coats of permanent black marker wouldn't fix though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

5500 wrote: »
    Camera arrived today from geek buying. Picture below for anyone wondering what's in the box.

Everything is in English including user manual and interface. Battery was just flat so no test done yet.

Only downside on first impression is I think the grey colour is a bit noticeable so for a bit more covert look I'm gonna mask it up and give it a quick blast of Matt black paint.

Dying to hear how you get on with it, debating getting one myself!

^ How much was the customs / admin fee 5500?

edit: Not to worry, got the bill for just under 22 including an post fee..

Mine didn't get stopped by customs thankfully! No mention of China on my package though only a German address

Just after giving it a lick of paint I'll give it a charge and see how it fairs out then

Just ordered mine from Geekbuy, €101 including shipping. Spanish stock so no import fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It looks pretty big and clunky, compared to the Mini 080X anyway?

The unit itself shouldn't be much bigger, the mount certainly is. I plan to ditch it when it arrives.

The unit itself shouldn't be much bigger, the mount certainly is. I plan to ditch it when it arrives.

Are you aware of any suitable alternatives or just waiting to see when it arrives?
    I was thinking maybe an attachment for the rear view mirror might be best / most discreet for leaving it in situ..

• Advertisement

Mount is actually smaller than I expected, it's bigger than the mini08's, I dont have my one to hand to compare side by side but here's another picture post paint

wstsi8.jpg

jsdoxu.jpg

It's not visable from outside the car unless you knew it was there, sits and blends well behind the mirror

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement