Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are dogs being stolen in your area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If the good people of Ireland stopped buying dogs from these good for nothing pond rats the market would dry out and the theft would stop.
    It’s very simple.supply and demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

anewme wrote: »
    We’ve had a huge spate if it in our area the past few days. Drones at 1am last night. Suspicious vehicles in our town and cruising round. . Bits of string, chalk and other markings which have been advised to Gardai.

It’s pathetic at this stage that people still here in denial.
    Weather its dogs , machinery cars etc one part of a gang suss things out with markings while another part of gang smash and grab. Going on for years. A bit like carparks @ festivals etc and bottles left on car roofs

Will people please stoop believing the rubbish about drones, chalk markings (they wash away with the everyday rain) and cable ties.

Basic logic will tell you how stupid this thinking is and because fools believe this some kids are putting markings on properties to fool the fools.

Here's the fact check
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/colored-stickers-target-homes-dog-owners/

Same rubbish has been going around social media for YEARS!

Yet not one verified case of it actually happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Have Pavee point made any comments on this.. That would be a no..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

silver2020 wrote: »
    Basic logic....
    Ah here S, a bit too much to ask of the Whatsapp minnies.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Have Pavee point made any comments on this.. That would be a no..

Tis culture boss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The journal (garbage) has reported today that 10 dogs have been recovered from "a property in rathkeale".

Gardai are looking to track owners.

Comments closed of course.

The journal (garbage) has reported today that 10 dogs have been recovered from "a property in rathkeale".

Gardai are looking to track owners.

Comments closed of course.

As per for the ethnic endangered minority crimes.

The Journal is a liberal rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

deisedevil wrote: »
    Brazen and braindead. To get out of a car and throw a cable tie on a property to mark it when you have Google maps and eircodes is just mind boggling stupidity. These dog thieves aren't criminal masterminds anyways.

I think people are allowing themselves to believe this cable tie and house marking rubbish because it's the latest over dramatic shíte to hit Facebook.

Can anyone offer any logical explanation to a spate of random properties having cable ties attached? At a complete guess, probably preferable for the would be thieves to have no digital record, or as little as possible, on their phones to track them back to crimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Rathkeale... Surprise surprise.

MOD SNIP

I hear ya but don't think you'll get away with that comment here I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Anyone who steals another man's dog, deserves to have their b*lls chewed off by a hungry rottweiler!

If hell does exist, there will be a special place for those who harm animals or children! :mad:

Hi Greta

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I hear ya but don't think you'll get away with that comment here I'd say
    Well when what to most people are much loved family members are stolen and the ones doing the stealing tend to be from one particular demographic I think the anger at said demographic is warranted, as is anger directed at so called authorities that seem to do fcuk all and less each year. I don't mean the Guards either. Their hands are tied by the judiciary and lack of resources and government inaction for too bloody long.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

If the good people of Ireland stopped buying dogs from these good for nothing pond rats the market would dry out and the theft would stop.
    It’s very simple.supply and demand.

It would certainly help with that particular market but you'll find the people who want to use them as bait dogs are far less discerning.

You'd get fit kicking the c*nts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

MOD SNIP

The good eggs need to report the toerags.

That grouping could well do without yet another reason for all the hate. Why don't they recognise this?

That grouping could well do without yet another reason for all the hate. Why don't they recognise this?
    Because it's only the good eggs that see the downsides for the most part. The toerags don't, indeed seem to thrive on it.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Can anyone offer any logical explanation to a spate of random properties having cable ties attached? At a complete guess, probably preferable for the would be thieves to have no digital record, or as little as possible, on their phones to track them back to crimes.

Yes, - because people believe this rubbish (replace dogs with burglary / kidnapping children for previous versions) those who like to be up to no good and play "pranks" put them on gates to watch the reactions of people.

Cable ties are very widely available (Dealz, Lidl, Aldi) and very cheap and so for those bored and wanting to cause a little mischief, its a quick easy way of a thrill.

It really is as simple an explanation as that.

Add it all the cable ties left on lamp posts from election or the infamous "public meeting" signs and you have them everywhere.

I even might do it myself to a few feckers I know and dislike just to piss them off and watch as they get agitated - I'd enjoy that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

British Bulldog Puppy stolen from Killaloe yesterday found dumped. Owner put her all over social media and worked closely with Gardai. Tweets were put out alerting the ports. Owner received messages saying she was in was in Limerick and person was trying to extort money from owner saying she was iw 'very valuable'.

Dog dumped when realised dog could be too distinctive. Lucky owner.

A British bulldog pup is easily worth 1500 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Husband noticed white chalk mark on our wall the other day. Thought it might be bird **** but someone living in another part of the town showed him pictures of the same marks on houses with dogs. We live in an area that would not be known for nonsense pranks like that. That being you'd actually have to be a bit nuts to steal our dog. She is a mix bread and there are two hyper hamsters in her head operating her. She is very good at chewing off parts of the door.

Edit: I checked the local FB page and it seems some dogs were stolen in the area and later recovered. It seem they were not stupid enough or desperate enough to steal ours yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

meeeeh wrote: »
    Husband noticed white chalk mark on our wall the other day. Thought it might be bird **** but someone living in another part of the town showed him pictures of the same marks on houses with dogs. We live in an area that would not be known for nonsense pranks like that. That being you'd actually have to be a bit nuts to steal our dog. She is a mix bread and there are two hyper hamsters in her head operating her. She is very good at chewing off parts of the door.

Edit: I checked the local FB page and it seems some dogs were stolen in the area and later recovered. It seem they were not stupid enough or desperate enough to steal ours yet.

I laughed out loud st your description of your dog , brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The people who are involved in this type of activity are serious criminals with no compassion for anyone. The genuine people (and there are some) are afraid of them. Same as if you live in certain areas in Dublin (I can only speak for Dublin but I'm sure the rest of the Country is similar), if you live in a gangland area, you are not going to raise your head above the parapet.

Yes, - because people believe this rubbish (replace dogs with burglary / kidnapping children for previous versions) those who like to be up to no good and play "pranks" put them on gates to watch the reactions of people.

Cable ties are very widely available (Dealz, Lidl, Aldi) and very cheap and so for those bored and wanting to cause a little mischief, its a quick easy way of a thrill.

Add it all the cable ties left on lamp posts from election or the infamous "public meeting" signs and you have them everywhere.

I even might do it myself to a few feckers I know and dislike just to piss them off and watch as they get agitated - I'd enjoy that :)

You are going out of your way to discredit for some bizarre reason.

If you'd enjoy upsetting people and causing them and their families and possibly children to worry just because you dislike them, that really says more about yourself and your own integrity or lack thereof.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Enough of the generalisations folks, that's how threads like these always devolve into abuse and cards inevitably have to follow.

I've removed a number of posts in relation to the above.

Understandably there is anger in relation to this but posters are reminded to follow the charter when posting at all times

Any questions PM me, do not respond to this on thread.

Wow, what a needlessly condescending post. I highly doubt its a simple as that. I usually wouldn't pay attention to such nonsense except there seems to be people here who have witnessed people making such markings.

You are going out of your way to discredit for some bizarre reason.

If you'd enjoy upsetting people and causing them and their families and possibly children to worry just because you dislike them, that really says more about yourself and your own integrity or lack thereof.

I would never do that (I own two dogs and if I caught someone steal them I would do permanent damage to that person and I would be proud to do so too!) - but this utter tripe on social media and gutter local rags and the like of the daily muck or evening hysterical has to be publicised.

There are people purposely putting chalk marks down and putting cable ties to stoke fear in those that believe every word written on rag publications and social media.

Its 100% bullsh1t and the more people know that its bullsh1t, the less people will get worked up over a prank by some local fool.

If people used very basic logical thinking rather that believing the rubbish without question, they'd worry less.

And the more rags and social media publicise this stupid thinking, the more a certain type of individual will put up cable ties and chalk markings.

Wow, what a needlessly condescending post. I highly doubt its a simple as that. I usually wouldn't pay attention to such nonsense except there seems to be people here who have witnessed people making such markings.

No they haven't. People will say anything.

Pity people who believe this rubbish don't apply basic logical thinking.

these stupid stories appear all over the world and usually when there's feck all else in the news and second rate journalists are looking for fillers.

No they haven't. People will say anything.

Pity people who believe this rubbish don't apply basic logical thinking.

these stupid stories appear all over the world and usually when there's feck all else in the news and second rate journalists are looking for fillers.

Irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Aren't there a lot of unsettled people in Rathkeale? Surely a coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Aren't there a lot of unsettled people in Rathkeale? Surely a coincidence.

Unsettled people causing people to feel unsettled. The ultimate revenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭weisses

I used about 50 cable ties securing a fence .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Utter rubbish. Even BASIC LOGIC would say its bullsh1t.

I wish people would stop scaremongering with this utter tripe. The second rate local media that employ untrained interns to write local gossip are partly to blame as are the sh1te rags like the daily mail or more locally the Herald/Indo

Think of really basic elementary logic - we have eircodes, we have street maps, we have addresses we even have cameras on all our phones.

If I wanted to "mark" a house would I

A - put a chalk marking that will wash away with the first shower or rain or a cable tie on a gate for someone to come later in the DARK OF THE NIGHT to break in and steal a dog / rob an elderly couple or whatever the latse sensational fad scare story going. (you can barely see a cable tie in daytime let alone at night.

or

B - Send the address by text.

So next time someone give you a stupid story about a marking on a gate tell them to sue basic logic and stop spreading scaremongering stupidity

Well the guy was caught doing it here, pic of him and his caddy van was put up on FB to warn people about it so its not rubbish in every case.

You seem very worked up about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭HBC08

There's an urban myth that being spread by idiots on fb about dognappers identifying houses by tying a cable tie/marking with chalk/putting a nail in the wall.Different variants of this myth have been doing the rounds for years.
    As the myth is gaining traction at the moment id say some kids are putting cable ties on gates for a laugh at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

So there’s really two things exercising people in the thread: Dog thefts and whether or not dog thieves are marking houses. On the former point, there definitely seems to be an increase in notable cases lately and the likes of ten dogs being recovered in one go and the recent case of the dog stolen with her puppies, and she being mutilated in the process, are a cause for concern for all dog owners who love their family pets.

Whether or not thieves are marking houses is really inconsequential versus the rise in the crime, which has been linked to a significant rise in dog prices during the pandemic. I read a case recently in the IT about a couple who went to view a “puppy” that was clearly a few years old, and they were told actually it was under a year but the photos were taken many months ago blah blah.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/warnings-over-theft-and-scams-after-fourfold-rise-in-puppy-prices-1.4303561?mode=amp

Interesting advice from one local Garda FB post I read recently after they’d recovered a dog, was to remove the dogs name from its collar / tag. Helps to identify them later because, obviously, they’ll respond to their own name. Also, they suggested tattooing your phone number onto the dog, which I’d never heard of doing before!

I think an issue is that dogs are being exported to the UK for sale and there are also the stories about dogs being used as bait for fighting. I’d say that’s less common, but if your dog was taken and you don’t recover it I’d say you’ll spend a long time wondering what happened to it.

For a variety of reasons the crime isn’t adequately dealt with - animal theft or cruelty for that matter aren’t particularly well prosecuted in Ireland and as others note, after making a case you likely get a free legal aid hard knocks story and a suspended sentence. If a cockapoo is going for €1500-2500 a throw that’s an acceptable risk to some criminal elements.

Feeling really sorry for all the people out there tonight pining for their stolen dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Nijmegen wrote: »
    So there’s really two things exercising people in the thread: Dog thefts and whether or not dog thieves are marking houses. On the former point, there definitely seems to be an increase in notable cases lately and the likes of ten dogs being recovered in one go and the recent case of the dog stolen with her puppies, and she being mutilated in the process, are a cause for concern for all dog owners who love their family pets.

Whether or not thieves are marking houses is really inconsequential versus the rise in the crime, which has been linked to a significant rise in dog prices during the pandemic. I read a case recently in the IT about a couple who went to view a “puppy” that was clearly a few years old, and they were told actually it was under a year but the photos were taken many months ago blah blah.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/warnings-over-theft-and-scams-after-fourfold-rise-in-puppy-prices-1.4303561?mode=amp

Interesting advice from one local Garda FB post I read recently after they’d recovered a dog, was to remove the dogs name from its collar / tag. Helps to identify them later because, obviously, they’ll respond to their own name. Also, they suggested tattooing your phone number onto the dog, which I’d never heard of doing before!

I think an issue is that dogs are being exported to the UK for sale and there are also the stories about dogs being used as bait for fighting. I’d say that’s less common, but if your dog was taken and you don’t recover it I’d say you’ll spend a long time wondering what happened to it.

For a variety of reasons the crime isn’t adequately dealt with - animal theft or cruelty for that matter aren’t particularly well prosecuted in Ireland and as others note, after making a case you likely get a free legal aid hard knocks story and a suspended sentence. If a cockapoo is going for €1500-2500 a throw that’s an acceptable risk to some criminal elements.

Feeling really sorry for all the people out there tonight pining for their stolen dogs.

Where would one get a dog tattooed?!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Best advice when I got my dog was to never put its name on tag, only ever contact phone number.

Always get your dogs chip checked regularly as they do deactivate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Where would one get a dog tattooed?!

I'm thinking of asking my vet tomorrow. It would have to be done under sedation. I know the KC do it, greyhounds are tattooed.

Best not do it on ears as they can clip them off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

In Limerick City a number of years back a dog went missing. Number of hours later Alderman Michael Kelly got the dog back from a halting site in Newport.

• Advertisement

Has the cocker spaniel dog in Mallow Gardai Station find its home?

Your constant lol is weird for an adult, MAN.

No MAN, you are away with the fairies on this, yeah?

Not sure why you would put rural people in inverted comments.

You are clearly very closed off to the topic.

He is the type that give a boarder collie a kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Simple things really is to stop buying from unlicensed dog sellers, the ones that are stealing dogs you’d wanna be fairly thick not to recognize them or turn a blind eye to them cause in most cases they’ll rob your dog back off you within a few days or weeks. They wouldn’t wash themselves never mind mind a dog ffs. There’s hundreds of dogs in kennels and rescue centres plus if you are looking for a certain type of dog it’s not like a car where you take a chance on a cheaper deal cause it’s from some tool down a back lane. Allot of dog owners are to blame for this market even being viable to sell dogs on the likes of done deal. The laws in Ireland need to be strengthened on the selling and stealing of dogs. Some won’t even pay a minuscule few euro for a licence for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Best advice when I got my dog was to never put its name on tag, only ever contact phone number.

Always get your dogs chip checked regularly as they do deactivate.

RFID chips , particularly modern ones have very few issues and dont deactivate, short of physically damaging them ,nothing can happen to them.
    They only " activate" when scanned.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Has the cocker spaniel dog in Mallow Gardai Station find its home?

Looks like, not yet

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/07/15/news/real-life/gardai-stolen-dog-original-owner/amp

• Advertisement

Clearly someone 's pet, probably elderly that's not on social media and hasn't been reached. Could even be from UKI. Heartbreaking photo, little dog completely shut down and terrified, she will be found a loving home if not reunited. Real impact of this...heart broken owner missing their pet and vice versa.

There’s hundreds of dogs in kennels and rescue centres

The laws in Ireland need to be strengthened on the selling and stealing of dogs. Some won’t even pay a minuscule few euro for a licence for the year.

This was the problem - there were virtually no dogs in the kennels once the lockdown started as people who were on the fence about a dog, took the plunge and went to get one.

Those who normally get bored with their "Christmas dogs" had all the time in the world to be with them and as such, very few new dogs were abandoned.

This led to a pent up demand and people willing to pay high prices and like any "in demand product" criminals started to get involved.

I fully agree, laws have to be strengthened - the punishment for stealing a dog is the same as stealing a deckchair (though hopefully a judge would differentiate in the sentencing)

Clearly someone 's pet, probably elderly that's not on social media and hasn't been reached. Could even be from UKI. Heartbreaking photo, little dog completely shut down and terrified, she will be found a loving home if not reunited. Real impact of this...heart broken owner missing their pet and vice versa.

Without researching in detail. I am assuming that dog is been taken care of.

Tattooing a dog seems like an interesting idea but I’d want to hear more about it from a vet. Though you’d wonder would the kind of scumbags stealing dogs just kill yours or sell it to someone doing dog fighting if it had a tattoo.

Neutering them (particularly bitches) also makes them less attractive though obviously it’s only figured out after the fact...

Definitely get the micro chip checked regularly when you’re down the vet for any reason - it’s unlikely to stop working but don’t take the chance. I got a funny look off one vet in my local practice when I asked a few years ago but nowadays it usually strikes up a conversation about the terrible rise in dog thefts.

The advertising sites either need to take steps or be forced to take steps to curb this. If not banning the ads then if it’s illegal to not properly register a dog and illegal to breed without a license it should be illegal to host ads where you haven’t confirmed the bona fides of the person selling the dog. But it shouldn’t take government telling them to do the right thing for them to get on with it.

That won’t stop the major issue of dogs then being exported to the UK. Not entirely clear how you curb that unfortunately. The price of dogs has gone up there also according to some articles I’ve read in the economist and other places.

Donedeal are partly responsible for this situation. I'll never use their platform again as they have no interest in helping to solve the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

wandererz wrote: »
    "Last edited by Necro; Yesterday at 10:35. Reason: Fixed thread title"

Oh. Thank G*d for that.
    How do people pass the leaving cert?

"Have dogs been stolen in your area?" would also be acceptable.

Donedeal are partly responsible for this situation. I'll never use their platform again as they have no interest in helping to solve the issue.

Yeah I saw a post elsewhere where someone got back a "We don't believe our website is being used for this, but we're concerned and will look into it." I wonder do they get a flat fee per ad or a % of the sale? In any event they very clearly need to cop on, the reputational risk of this is you'd hope very severe.

Yeah I saw a post elsewhere where someone got back a "We don't believe our website is being used for this, but we're concerned and will look into it." I wonder do they get a flat fee per ad or a % of the sale? In any event they very clearly need to cop on, the reputational risk of this is you'd hope very severe.

There is a group Do Better Done Deal, that report each ad that breaches the guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Chalk marks spotted outside houses on main road yesterday, and on my road this morning. They're getting closer...

Without researching in detail. I am assuming that dog is been taken care of.

I'd say very well taken care of..but clearly missing their owner and probably pining.

I dont know if you are following the story of Topsey and Turvy, but the family have today issued a statement to say that their Turvy was found in the same group of dogs as that little dog in Mallow. The same man had both, which he was trying to sell.

Reasons like he didnt know their dog was stolen when he was trying to sell it....He alleges he bought Turvy off his cousin who got Turvy off a man who swopped her for a pony.

How are these people getting away with this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement